Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 04-16-2012, 02:32 AM   #1
lstelie
Human being with feelings

Default How to use default system sound settings for audio out ?

Hello,

This is a very newbie question so..

I use Reaper not to record but to play guitar at home, as some kind of VST host .

My setup is : Guitar -> M Audio Fast Track II -> iMac running OSX Lion / Reaper / Amp simulation plugin (LePou)

Everything works fine.. as long as I use headphones.

In Reaper settings I seem to have only one setting to define the audio interface, but no distinct settings for in and out.

From time to time I would like to stop using headphones and use the iMac sound system and fail to find how to do that. I suspect this is "agregate audio device " related, but I don't really understand how it works

So my question :

I succeed to use my external USB audio interface for input and Output, is there a way to use the audio interface for input and the system default for output?

Thanks in advance (and accept my apologies if the question is stupid and the answer obvious)

Luc
lstelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:52 AM   #2
MichaJo

I'd connect the outs of the Fast Track to the Audio-in of the iMac.
(cinch to mini-jack cable)

I don't know the iMac but as far as i know there's an option "Play input through output device" or similar.

Michael
MichaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:55 AM   #3
lstelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaJo View Post
I'd connect the outs of the Fast Track to the Audio-in of the iMac.
(cinch to mini-jack cable)

I don't know the iMac but as far as i know there's an option "Play input through output device" or similar.

Michael
Thanks a lot for your quick answer.

I hope there is an easier solution software based.
With all my other software (from Garageband to Amplitube3 ) there are two separate settings for audio IN and Audio OUT, so I can switch back and forth from my USB audiodevice when I want to use headphones, to the iMac defaut output when I don't wand headphones...

This setting I don't find in Reaper...

Luc
Old 04-16-2012, 03:56 AM   #4
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

To use different devices for input and output, you need to create an "aggregate device" in 'Audio MIDI Setup' (which is generally responsible for what ins and outs are available to REAPER on OSX).

1. Open Audio MIDI Setup

2. Click the Add (+) button in the Audio Devices window to make a new Aggregate Device.

3. Check all the "Use" checkmarks to the right to add all your devices to the new Aggregate Device

4. Start REAPER, click the I/O button on the master and make sure your "Build-in Output" device is selected for output.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:57 AM   #5
lstelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
To use different devices for input and output, you need to create an "aggregate device" in 'Audio MIDI Setup' (which is generally responsible for what ins and outs are available to REAPER on OSX).

1. Open Audio MIDI Setup

2. Click the Add (+) button in the Audio Devices window to make a new Aggregate Device.

3. Check all the "Use" checkmarks to the right to add all your devices to the new Aggregate Device

4. Start REAPER, click the I/O button on the master and make sure your "Build-in Output" device is selected for output.
Thanks a lot Ollie,

I'll check tonight when back home (I'm at the office...where I can't really play guitar..)

I suspected this has something to deal with agregate but was not sure.

Thanks a huge lot !!

Luc
Old 04-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
lstelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post

1. Open Audio MIDI Setup

Perfect.. it was the solution

Thanks again !!