Old 04-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #1
OpIvy
Human being with feelings

Default Guitar bus sends and side-chaining

I'm trying to deal with my guitar folders differently than usual so there's a few things I'd like to confirm...

I have a song with 3 guitar folders, each with 2 guitar tracks in them (panned L/R). Normally I just mix the 3 folder tracks to get the right balance between all the guitars, but this time I decided to send the folder tracks to a guitar bus. Then I can use the guitar bus fader to bring the mixed guitars in.

Now if this guitar bus is sent to the master, I guess it's best to disable the sends to master on each of the folder tracks yes? otherwise I just get a duplicate on the master bus. The folders are all sent to guitar bus as pre-fader.
But then I'm also wondering if one of the guitar folder tracks is side-chained to the vocals track, will the compressor work the same if it's sent pre-fader?.

And finally, if I render just the guitar bus to a stereo stem track, how does this affect the side-chain. I assume that won't work because the comp won't be receiving the vocals track during rendering. Is it better to render the guitar folder track with the side-chain, then send that one to the guitar bus?
Cheers
Old 04-21-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpIvy View Post

Now if this guitar bus is sent to the master, I guess it's best to disable the sends to master on each of the folder tracks yes? otherwise I just get a duplicate on the master bus. The folders are all sent to guitar bus as pre-fader.
But then I'm also wondering if one of the guitar folder tracks is side-chained to the vocals track, will the compressor work the same if it's sent pre-fader?.

prefader... ok why? It's not wrong to send prefader here, but WHY??? what are you trying to achieve there?

your sidechain send can be whatever - it can be completely independant from other sends from the guitar bus.

the sidechained comp works within the parameters of what you want it to do. What are you trying to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpIvy View Post
And finally, if I render just the guitar bus to a stereo stem track, how does this affect the side-chain. I assume that won't work because the comp won't be receiving the vocals track during rendering. Is it better to render the guitar folder track with the side-chain, then send that one to the guitar bus?
Cheers
In a lot of situations you can't freeze or render things that send to a sidechain without breaking something. If the send is post fader, yes, you can just render it and it's fine (most cases). otherwise you'd need to freeze / render the track that it is sending to first.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
OpIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
prefader... ok why? It's not wrong to send prefader here, but WHY??? what are you trying to achieve there?
Not sure why prefader actually. I suppose it should be post-fader if I have the 3 guitar folders at the desired level. But the purpose of the guitar bus was to receive all the guitar tracks into one, so I can then bring all the mixed guitars into the mix with one fader as well as applying a stereo enhancer plug to all guitar tracks.

Quote:
your sidechain send can be whatever - it can be completely independant from other sends from the guitar bus.

the sidechained comp works within the parameters of what you want it to do. What are you trying to do?
One of the guitar folders contains the 2 'main' guitars that I want to duck for the vocals to come through. I got the side-chain comp working ok on a track level, but not sure if it will be affected once I send it to the bus and disable the parent/master send.
Also not sure how a pre/ post fader send to the guitar bus will work with the side-chain.

Rendering the guitar bus track doesn't really matter. I can leave it as is. I was just wondering how it would affect things
Old 04-21-2014, 09:53 PM   #4
James HE

I think you do want post fader, as you will be able to balance the 3 folders relative to each other before they are summed in the Bus.

You can just use another Folder for the Bus, and not worry about routing. (this would mean post-fader routing)

The only thing to look out for with the sidechain in that situation is to make sure that the sidechain signal isn't passing through to somewhere you don't want it... like to the next folder up. And even then, it's only important if you also want to do something on that channels anyway (like a sidechain on the bus as well)

since you are not doing a nested folder for the bus anyway - you don't even have to worry about that.

so - should be no problem with the sidechain at all.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #5
OpIvy

Excellent, thanks for the help.
I may have actually finished another song now!