Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 05-04-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
Jazzooka
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper does not render to same hard drive

Hi,

The weirdest just happened while trying to export a render out of Reaper.

This is on a fairly new 7200rpm 1TB WD Caviar Blue, with working Protools sessions, Logic, Ableton and Reaper.

Mac Pro 5,1 - 12core 3.33GHz - 20GB Ram - OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 - MH ULN-8

Reaper refuses to render to that same drive where today's session is on.

Tried in :
- different folders
- different names

It displays this message (attached in picture) :

"Render status : the target drive/path does not exist, is unavailable, or is in use."

I have no applications running in the background (except for Avid manager, but has been so for long, MIO Console and UAD-Meter)

Looks like a bug, never ever experienced this, after hundreds and hundreds of renders, but before submitting it wanted to know if anybody came across this?

Thanks

Nico
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 19.47.15.png (8.5 KB, 399 views)
Old 05-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #2
Xenakios

Not enough space on disk?
Old 05-04-2017, 01:39 PM   #3
Jazzooka

580 GB Free

Tried again, still no go

I succeeded in rendering to other drives, but why with this drive only is beyond me

(I bounced from PT12, Logic and Ableton to that drive today without hassle)
Old 05-10-2017, 11:27 AM   #4
Jazzooka

Default Still refuses to render

Hi

Bump - help!

Reaper still refuses to render to one work drive

In the meantime I export audio to other drives, but render works with all other DAWs to this drive, why does Reaper refuse to render (with nothing running in background)??

Thx for any help

Nico
Old 05-10-2017, 12:41 PM   #5
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzooka View Post
Reaper still refuses to render to one work drive

In the meantime I export audio to other drives, but render works with all other DAWs to this drive, why does Reaper refuse to render (with nothing running in background)??
You might find some additional hints in this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=116137

Also try to make a second portable Reaper install to a separate folder to check if rendering works there: http://www.kennymania.com/videos/rea...all-of-reaper/

Since you posted that the drive is fairly new: was rendering files with Reaper working before on the same drive?
Can you also post a screenshot of your current settings in the Render Window?

Last edited by solger; 05-10-2017 at 12:50 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:01 AM   #6
Jazzooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
You might find some additional hints in this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=116137

Also try to make a second portable Reaper install to a separate folder to check if rendering works there: http://www.kennymania.com/videos/rea...all-of-reaper/

Since you posted that the drive is fairly new: was rendering files with Reaper working before on the same drive?
Can you also post a screenshot of your current settings in the Render Window?

Thanks Solger, I took some time to read through the thread you mention, but it didn't provide a solution.

Portable install tryout will be for tomorrow.

Re your last point : no, I did not render to Reaper before on that drive as it is new. As we speak, am recording a multitrack rehearsal session in Reaper on that drive without any trouble, so the writing part of the drive must be functional (combined with the success of recording/bouncing to that drive with PT, Logic, Ableton).

Screen print attached shows the default render screen. The directory field is blank, which prompts me to choose a directory/folder. Regardless of that I can not render, neither with blank field, specific folder or any other option I choose. Only rendering possible to other drives.

Still puzzled.

Any further help appreciated,

Thx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reaper render small.jpg (59.4 KB, 384 views)
Old 05-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #7
serr

Quote:
Hi,

The weirdest just happened while trying to export a render out of Reaper.

This is on a fairly new 7200rpm 1TB WD Caviar Blue, with working Protools sessions, Logic, Ableton and Reaper.

Mac Pro 5,1 - 12core 3.33GHz - 20GB Ram - OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 - MH ULN-8

Reaper refuses to render to that same drive where today's session is on.

Tried in :
- different folders
- different names

It displays this message (attached in picture) :

"Render status : the target drive/path does not exist, is unavailable, or is in use."

I have no applications running in the background (except for Avid manager, but has been so for long, MIO Console and UAD-Meter)

Looks like a bug, never ever experienced this, after hundreds and hundreds of renders, but before submitting it wanted to know if anybody came across this?

Thanks

Nico
I bet you switched systems. (ie. OS installs)

Reaper stores directory paths in your home folder with the shortcut. (~/ for HD_volume/Users/Your_HomeFolder)

That means when you boot from an alternate system, the shortcut version of the directory path is no longer the same. The shortcut (~/) now points to the current home folder.

So... When you do that, just click the browse button for render destination and select your mix folder again.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:00 PM   #8
Jazzooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I bet you switched systems. (ie. OS installs)

Reaper stores directory paths in your home folder with the shortcut. (~/ for HD_volume/Users/Your_HomeFolder)

That means when you boot from an alternate system, the shortcut version of the directory path is no longer the same. The shortcut (~/) now points to the current home folder.

So... When you do that, just click the browse button for render destination and select your mix folder again.
Hi Serr, thanks for your input.

I did not install an OS, however, to clone a previous slower data drive to the newer one (the one that does not render with Reaper) , I had to take out the main SSD boot drive and start the computer on a OS clone backup partition that remains permanently on one of the 4 internal drives to temporarily free one of the hd slots.

Will try later in studio what you suggested
Old 05-15-2017, 12:36 PM   #9
Jazzooka

Hi,

@Serr, I tried what you suggested : ie, changing the render destinations, tried to many different locations on said drive, still no go

@
Solger : tried the portable Reaper install : still no go either, Reaper refuses to render to that drive

In the meantime, I setup a dedicated render folder on another drive, with subfolders for each current project, that will have to do for now...

If anybody has any idea what else to try or troubleshoot, much appreciated

Thx

N
Old 05-15-2017, 01:30 PM   #10
grinder

Jazzooka
Have you tried renaming that drive?
What formatting did you use? Did you re format the drive?
Can you use that drive in a normal fashion ie open it and make folders in it etc.
Get info from it?

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:10 PM   #11
serr

Quote:
Hi,

@Serr, I tried what you suggested : ie, changing the render destinations, tried to many different locations on said drive, still no go
Hmmm...

Did you use the browse button and browse to select a new folder? As opposed to typing in a new location to the existing prefix. (Ex. If the old path was something/something/folder, Did you just replace "folder" with a new location or did you click the browse button to 'start over' as it were?)

Try 'starting over' with the browse button is what I'm getting it.

If you DID that and still no go...
The message literally means the folder you typed in doesn't exist where you said it does.

What happens if you go to the output directory selection window and click new folder? Does it let you? And then does it see the new folder you just made and render to it?
Old 05-16-2017, 09:41 AM   #12
Jazzooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
Jazzooka
Have you tried renaming that drive?
What formatting did you use? Did you re format the drive?
Can you use that drive in a normal fashion ie open it and make folders in it etc.
Get info from it?

Grinder
Thx grinder

- no I did not rename it, in fact I cloned the older slower drive to the new one, as it contains sound libraries for my virtual instruments and DAWs (Geist 2, StylusRMX, Trillian, EXS24, EZdrummer, Ableton Live packs, Logic content and others), and to avoid failing to re-authorize libraries, or having to re-install homemade content for libraries of which I do not have the original files anymore.
It worked fine as I can open all my VSTi and libraries, without a glitch.
- I used the formatting I always use, which if memory serves me right is, Mac OS Journaled. (The one out of the list recommended by all soundware developers, that I use for over 10 years). Don't remember if HFS+ or extended, will check.
- I formatted the drive prior to cloning with disk doctor, as it came as a MS DOS FAT 32.
- I can use the drive to create folders, copying files, recording (with all DAWs including Reaper), rendering/bouncing with Ableton, Logic, PT12; mastering with Ozone or Hofa, and getting info of every file and folder, so yes in a normal fashion.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:44 AM   #13
Jazzooka

Quote:
Hmmm...

Did you use the browse button and browse to select a new folder? As opposed to typing in a new location to the existing prefix. (Ex. If the old path was something/something/folder, Did you just replace "folder" with a new location or did you click the browse button to 'start over' as it were?)

The message literally means the folder you typed in doesn't exist where you said it does.

What happens if you go to the output directory selection window and click new folder? Does it let you? And then does it see the new folder you just made and render to it?
Thx Serr

- I used the browse button to select a new folder/existing folder, so yes to try to start over in about 10 different new/existing folders on the drive : on the root, and in subfolders, sub-subfolders etc...
- I have to try your last suggestion re go to output directory selection and clicking new folder

Will get back
Old 05-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #14
cyrano

Have you had a look in Activity monitor if REAPER isn't running as a different user?

It's just a longshot as that's what I'm looking at on a Leopard server
Old 05-16-2017, 12:18 PM   #15
Jazzooka

Quote:
Hmmm...

Went back to some sessions, when rendering in directory I have the option to browse to file or directory or other recently used folders, but no option to create a new folder from within Reaper
(unless I use the finder when selecting the folder, in which I can create a folder)
Old 05-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #16
vanhaze

I open Render window
In the Output section, I click on the Browse button.
I then choose "Browse for directory"
A new window pops up, with a button at the bottom left, named "New Folder"
I can click that button to create a new folder, where the render is gonna be placed in.

You wanna say this doesn't is the case for you ?!

OSX 10.12.4
Reaper latest pre release - 64bit.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:19 PM   #17
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
I open Render window
I can click that button to create a new folder, where the render is gonna be placed in.

OSX 10.12.4
That's what I was just going to respond with.

Can we get a screen shot of that window missing the "new folder" button? That would likely get Justin's attention.

Weird... If there was an issue with the drive volume (permissions, corrupt volume header, failing drive, etc) I would expect to get an error message after clicking 'new folder' as opposed to seeing the button missing. But I have no idea what the underlying code looks like.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #18
Jazzooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
I open Render window

OSX 10.12.4
Thx Vanhaze,

Yes, when clicking on "browse for directory" after clicking on "browse" I can create a new folder, but not in the first click when the list appears with :

- browse for directory
- browse for file
- the project folder

No matter what folders I choose from there I get the aforementioned error (screen print attached in one of first messages) with "no output file"

Sorry if I wasn't clear
Old 05-16-2017, 04:20 PM   #19
grinder

Have you tried placing/creating a new folder for your wave files on your "new Drive" first then using Render-Browse for Directory- go to your new folder recently made-click on it then Render?

Grinder
Old 05-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #20
Jazzooka

Quote:
Have you tried placing/creating a new folder for your wave files on your "new Drive" first then using Render-Browse for Directory- go to your new folder recently made-click on it then Render?

Grinder
Hi Grinder, thx

Yes, I've been putting the good ole "cmd-shift-n" to good use, creating many different folders from the finder, at root level, and many subfolders

I can subsequently choose them from the render window, but then the "no output file" message with no rendering appears...
Old 05-20-2017, 02:31 AM   #21
grinder

That is a very strange thing then really strange....
I do not envy you this one Jazzooka.
Have you tried your version of Reaper on another computer (fresh install )
Is it the computr (sorry the Mac ) that may be the trouble?
Not coping with Reaper?

Grinder
Old 05-20-2017, 08:03 AM   #22
serr

Strange indeed!

That really is simply the error message for "The folder you pointed me to isn't there where you said it was."

Only on the one drive?
You formatted it yourself? (HFS+ Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
You tried repairing permissions?
Other drive volumes still work normally?
Old 05-20-2017, 11:36 AM   #23
solger

Yeah, very strange.

I don't think that this might be the issue here (since this shouldn't affect choosing a render directory via the Browse button), but maybe check the reaper.ini file for any odd renderpath entries, just in case.
And for a possible permission problem the error behavior seems really weird (since you can create and access folders via Finder with no problems, or select them in the Render Dialog, etc. ... )

The drive is used internally, right?

Is there anything out of the ordinary in the render path shown in the [Render to:] text field after selecting a directory in the Render Dialog?
Or maybe in other words: is the shown render path accessible when you copy/paste the folder path (without the file name) from the [Render to:] text field directly into Finder -> Go -> Go to Folder?

Last edited by solger; 05-20-2017 at 02:07 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:20 PM   #24
Jazzooka

Quote:
That is a very strange thing then really strange....
I do not envy you this one Jazzooka.
Have you tried your version of Reaper on another computer (fresh install )
Is it the computr (sorry the Mac ) that may be the trouble?
Not coping with Reaper?

Grinder
Thx Grinder

Indeed strangest thing I ever had with Reaper...
-Yes tried Reaper on another computer, no problem
-The computer is a well-maintained beast of a Macpro 5,1, working smooth with any DAW including Reaper, fairly intense use of mix sessions ( often >80 audio tracks, >10busses, >20 aux with fx, >10vsti, tons of plugins = CPU between 10-35% use ), recording several times a week 8 to 16 tracks in Reaper at 44.1,48,96 without a glitch, mastering projects every week
- I've used Reaper successfully for about 3 years, this hard drive thing just happened a few weeks ago after cloning

I don't have a programming background, but been working with computers for audio for more than 15 years, both on PC & Mac, with OS9 to all OSX versions, Win XP to Win7

I have a hunch, which might be far-fetched, unrealistic : is it possible that when cloning the old drive to the newer one (maintained the name "SoundLibraries" for the volume to keep compatibility with VSTi libraries, DAW content as described earlier), that Reaper somehow expects to see the exact hidden model/address/location of the older drive and that the new path is "broken" to Reaper?

Thing is, now that I cloned to the new drive, the older slower drive was repurposed as a backup, so I could not re-format this new drive and re-clone, unless I purchase a new drive.

As the drive is fully functional (checked with Disk Utility) for recording, mixing, mastering - or in simpler terms writing and reading - and is quite faster than previous drive performance wise, it seems unlikely the drive is the culprit.

What I don't get is why is Reaper able to record, thus write, to this disc troublefree (recorded an 8-track @48K session last week) and then comes render time : nada?

I didn't try choosing rendering in realtime yet btw, will try that, as well as recording a buss from all tracks within Reaper
Old 05-21-2017, 09:24 PM   #25
Jazzooka

Quote:
Strange indeed!

That really is simply the error message for "The folder you pointed me to isn't there where you said it was."

Only on the one drive?
You formatted it yourself? (HFS+ Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
You tried repairing permissions?
Other drive volumes still work normally?
Thx Serr

- yes only on that one drive (on internal bay, 3 other working drives : 1 SSD for OS, 2 SATA for audio)
- yes, formatted myself, the drive came as MS-DOS FAT32, so formatted to HFS+ Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then cloned from the older drive
- Disk Utility says there are no errors, but will re-try repairing permissions
- Other drives work perfectly for writing/reading (well this new one as well tbh, it is just the rendering part in Reaper that gave up)
Old 05-21-2017, 09:30 PM   #26
Jazzooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Yeah, very strange.

I don't think that this might be the issue here (since this shouldn't affect choosing a render directory via the Browse button), but maybe check the reaper.ini file for any odd renderpath entries, just in case.
And for a possible permission problem the error behavior seems really weird (since you can create and access folders via Finder with no problems, or select them in the Render Dialog, etc. ... )

The drive is used internally, right?

Is there anything out of the ordinary in the render path shown in the [Render to:] text field after selecting a directory in the Render Dialog?
Or maybe in other words: is the shown render path accessible when you copy/paste the folder path (without the file name) from the [Render to:] text field directly into Finder -> Go -> Go to Folder?
Thx Solger

- will check the reaper.ini
- the drive is used internally, in one of the four trays of the MacPro
- no, nothing seems out of place after selecting a render directory
- will try your last suggestion
Old 05-22-2017, 05:51 AM   #27
Jae.Thomas

try a different sample rate
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:51 AM   #28
Jae.Thomas

do you have bridged plugins?
do you have resampled media?
Old 05-22-2017, 08:42 AM   #29
Jazzooka

Quote:
Thx Solger

- will check the reaper.ini
- the drive is used internally, in one of the four trays of the MacPro
- no, nothing seems out of place after selecting a render directory
- will try your last suggestion
Solger,

checked the reaper.ini : folder paths are written correctly, no weird stuff (I saw there the memory of the last 13 render paths)

tried what you suggested of copying the path of render folder into finder->go->go to folder = that worked

...tried another render, nada....
Old 05-22-2017, 08:42 AM   #30
Jazzooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
try a different sample rate
Thx Jason, tried 44.1/48/96 - same refusal to render
Old 05-22-2017, 08:46 AM   #31
Jazzooka

Quote:
do you have bridged plugins?
do you have resampled media?
Thx Jason, no bridged plugins (they are quite buggy imho and experience, I really miss URS Strip Pro though, tried using it bridged some time ago, slowed the whole system and added a few crashes in the mix, same thing with other 32bit, not a nice experience generally)

Resampled media : Yes and no, tried renders in different sessions, some with resampled media, some without, same wall hit :/
Old 05-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #32
Jae.Thomas

any vst plugins?
Old 05-22-2017, 09:12 AM   #33
serr

I'm thinking that if a plugin crash or a plugin bridge crash is responsible for Reaper erroneously giving the error message that a folder/directory doesn't exist...

Such mayhem would surely result in more weirdness and crashing than this current scenario?

Sorry I don't have another suggestion right now!

But I'd keep looking for a directory related faux pas. Possibly something related to a saved path in a .ini support file. I wouldn't jump into left field and start suspecting plugins or this being related to processing overloads.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:19 AM   #34
Jae.Thomas

I have had certain plugins with certain sample rates not allow renders...
Old 05-22-2017, 09:56 AM   #35
serr

Quote:
I have had certain plugins with certain sample rates not allow renders...
And you specifically got the 'render path specified not found' error?

Alright then!
That's a pretty wild symptom vs. root cause there!

Didn't Jazzooka mention trying new projects with nothing (or not much) dialed up in them? And then all the following:

- Tried a render with a previously verified working OS install (ie. No variables. No untested updates. Last verified working (for you) version of Reaper.

- Reformatted that new drive and tried again.

- Did either a clean install of Reaper or manually trashed the old plist and ini files and tried again.

At this point I'd be swapping in a different hard drive! Plugged into the same cables/connectors. Preferable one that you already know to work without question.

I keep looking for an obvious miscommunication and asking loaded questions but that's all I got.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #36
Jae.Thomas

wild indeed, and no, I didn't see that in the thread
Old 05-22-2017, 10:11 AM   #37
serr

I'll just throw this out there:

Some plugins query the hardware serial number of hard drives. (Permanently burnt into a firmware chip on the drive.) A couple of the more paranoid plugin makers query every single drive in your filesystem I believe. So even if you clone the data from the drive 1:1 it's serial number remains unique.

Usually the scenario for that when replacing a drive is to get prompted to register the plugin again like the first time you installed it. Sometimes you need to call and whine and get a new authorization code.

That such a scenario could be crashing/confusing Reaper to throw up an erroneous error message still sounds a bit wild.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:13 AM   #38
Jae.Thomas

it's okay, doesn't seem applicable here. One other thing I failed to mention was that those projects were done in another studio as well, at a different sample rate.

Anyway, I am derailing at this point.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #39
serr

Man, I was originally so sure this was going to be the home folder shortcut business (~/) that I do to myself all the time when switching between systems!
Old 06-01-2017, 02:44 AM   #40
Jazzooka

Thx @Serr and @Jason for your replies

A bit more :

- yes I use VST/AU plugins (that are installed on system drive, the commercial plugins have their license either on iLok or system drive)
- in the tests I did, it included sessions with zero plugins
- the new drive is working fine with all other DAWs in the render/bounce
department
- did some benchmarking, disk utility and other actions to check for any kind of error : nothing wrong with the disk
- Reaper still records fine : last friday recorded 16 tracks simultaneously, and it was for an improvisation duo with long stretches of 45 minutes -> 90 minutes uninterrupted : not a glitch

If Reaper records -> Reaper sees drive and location -> Why no render love ?

See attached my tryout of the day to render without success, in a test session recorded in Reaper 3 days ago, without any plugins present at render time

Thanks for everybody's continued input regarding this frustrating glitch

N
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot_render OSX.jpg (50.1 KB, 368 views)