Old 04-27-2017, 10:49 AM   #641
Robert Randolph
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
What line(s) should I edit to get more room for the button text? I have several buttons where I'd have to be pretty wordy to differentiate between similar actions, but I will run out of space to type them in. The space used to be longer in some earlier versions, but I don't have them handy anymore to compare.
Global tab, then "inside of ring" and "outside of ring"

--

You can move text to the next line with a pipe |.

So "This sentence|Looks like|this" turns in to:

This sentences
Looks like
this

--

You can also change the font size for some more room.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:57 AM   #642
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks View Post
No worries, glad to be of tiny assistance - this whole thing you've done is very slick. Is your GUI code in a repo by itself?
There's a very outdated version in the ReaTeam Templates repo, but I'm polishing up a new release. I'll PM you a link to my preview version.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:57 AM   #643
xpander

Thanks Robert. I actually meant the total number of characters I'm able to type in is not enough for me...unless I've missed a recent update. I just wanted possible tips to hack the actual code myself to allow more characters, given it's not too heavy edit.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:05 AM   #644
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Thanks Robert. I actually meant the total number of characters I'm able to type in is not enough for me...unless I've missed a recent update. I just wanted possible tips to hack the actual code myself to allow more characters, given it's not too heavy edit.
Unfortunately the textboxes are limited to whatever text will fit; they aren't programmed to scroll as you type, etc, mostly because I'm not sure how. It would take some effort to mod it in.

That said, if you wanted to try, do a Ctrl+F for "GUI.Textbox" and have a look through the various functions.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #645
xpander

Ok, I will try that. Thanks Lokasenna.

---
edit: yep, it works. In version 2.6.1 the line 6573:
Code:
txt_btn_lbl = GUI.Textbox:new(		4,	496, line_y1 + 40, 192, 20, "Label:", 4),
Just for a test I changed the width from 192 to 240 and it's already better for my use. Sweet, thanks again.

Last edited by xpander; 04-27-2017 at 02:28 PM.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:11 PM   #646
Nardberr

Don,t know if its possible but asking anyway, can icons be used instead of labels?
Nardberr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:20 PM   #647
Lokasenna

Theoretically, yes, but it would be quite a lot of work to add. Maybe in the distant future.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:02 PM   #648
Lokasenna

Updated to 2.7.

Imagine, if you will, that you've somehow grown bored with the speed and flexibility offered by Radial Menu up to this point. You're done with clicking. Hovering just seems dumb. Swiping is for teenagers. No, no, no... what YOU want is to use your keyboard for absolutely everything like it's the eighties and you're trying to get into Ally Sheedy's pants by hacking the Pentagon.

You guessed it: Key binds.
  • Set them up in the Global tab.
  • Bindings are assigned separately for each possible menu size, since you might want to use a different configuration for 4 buttons versus 16.
  • They should work with both "hold down the Action key" and "leave the window open" modes. "Should".
  • They probably won't work with 'repeat ____' actions, but they WILL start repeating normal actions all on their own if you hold the key down because, you know, it IS a keyboard.
  • There might be a short time delay when first opening Radial Menu before key binds will work; this is unavoidable, since it's using that time to detect the action key you've got held down

And a couple of minor fixes:
  • Pressing backspace with the text caret at the beginning of a textbox was duplicating the text by mistake.
  • Button labels can be substantially longer now.

Enjoy, and don't hate me if I broke something. Hate whoever invented asparagus instead. They deserve it.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:42 PM   #649
Arthur McArthur

I... I think I love you.

Many many thanks for this. Supplementary beverage funds headed your way.

Any chance for a per-menu/button shortcut override? The current global system means I'm having to design my menus in an awkward way.

Edit: It would also be cool to have some visual feedback for using the bindings, akin to what happens when the button is clicked

Last edited by Arthur McArthur; 04-30-2017 at 11:51 PM.
Arthur McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:03 AM   #650
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McArthur View Post
Any chance for a per-menu/button shortcut override? The current global system means I'm having to design my menus in an awkward way.
In theory, absolutely. In practice... I don't know where I'd put that in Setup. I'll add it to the list.

Quote:
Edit: It would also be cool to have some visual feedback for using the bindings, akin to what happens when the button is clicked
Updated to 2.7.1, adding this and also fixing a couple of crashes I found when using key binds.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:10 AM   #651
vanhaze

Hi Lokasenna,

I just tried the new key bindings feature : wicked stuff !

One thing i wonder:

To get it to work i first have to press down the key the bring up Radial Menu.
Then, while still having to hold that key down, i press down the keybinding key and must
held it down for about half a second.

Is this normal behaviour ?
At first, i just tried this (thought it was more intuitive), but that wasnt working:

1) just press the key to bring up Radial Menu and let that key go ; Radial Menu stays visible.
2) Directly right after that, press down the keybinding key shortly and let it go.

Warm regards.
OSX 10.12.4
Macbook Retina 2015
Reaper 5.50pre5
Old 05-01-2017, 08:50 AM   #652
Lokasenna

It's normal behavior to keep holding the original action key down if that's what you've set in the Options tab. You can set it to "just leave the window open" if that's easier - any keypress that isn't bound will close the menu.

You shouldn't have to hold the bound key down for any length of time - on my end it happens instantly. Well, there's a programmed delay of 50ms so the script has time to draw a "click", but I can't actually feel any more lag time than if I were to click with the mouse.

If you're in "keep holding the action key" mode, there IS a brief period (maybe half a second?) when starting the script before key binds will work; the script is too busy trying to identify the action key. I'm hoping to add a little "ready to go!" indicator somewhere.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:55 AM   #653
Robert Randolph

Should keybinds be able to open sub-menus?

It just closes radial menu if the button action is a "menu " action.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:57 AM   #654
Lokasenna

Yup. What modes are you using in Options?
Old 05-01-2017, 08:58 AM   #655
Robert Randolph

Also, can we have a mode where the radial_menu doesn't show at the cursor?

If one wanted to use it purely with shortcuts, it could make more sense for it to be predictably placed in the same position each time.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:01 AM   #656
Lokasenna

Sure, I can have it remember the last window position or something.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:03 AM   #657
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Yup. What modes are you using in Options?
Ok, so I figured this out, but how this operates is confusing to me.

I have it setup with: "When the shortcut key is released: close the menu". Shortcuts don't open menus if you're using that mode.

That makes sense, I guess. My fault.

---

However, I realized that the labelling in the options is confusing (or bugged?)

If you have "When the shortcut key is released: close the menu" turned on, then it closes after the "if no key is detected" parameter. It does not close the menu when the shortcut is released! Try a value of 5000ms with the shortcut-release-close turned on.

Is it supposed to work that way? If so, the labeling is confusing.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:14 AM   #658
Arthur McArthur

Quote:
In theory, absolutely. In practice... I don't know where I'd put that in Setup. I'll add it to the list.
Great. How about in the "menu" tab, placed under "actions"?
Old 05-01-2017, 09:19 AM   #659
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
Ok, so I figured this out, but how this operates is confusing to me.

I have it setup with: "When the shortcut key is released: close the menu". Shortcuts don't open menus if you're using that mode.
They should; it works here. (You do need to continue holding the shortcut key in that mode, if that helps)

Quote:
However, I realized that the labelling in the options is confusing (or bugged?)

If you have "When the shortcut key is released: close the menu" turned on, then it closes after the "if no key is detected" parameter. It does not close the menu when the shortcut is released! Try a value of 5000ms with the shortcut-release-close turned on.

Is it supposed to work that way? If so, the labeling is confusing.
Expected, but I can see why it would be confusing.

That parameter was originally added for some people whose systems (I think it's a Mac issue?) wait too long between "'f' was pressed" and "ffffffffffffffffff..." for the script to tell that it's being held - it causes the menu to open, close because it doesn't see a key, open again because the key is still being held, close, open , etc, so it just flickers really quickly and you can't do anything.

Unfortunately, the script can't differentiate between a repeat message not being sent and the key actually being released, so that parameter is applied there as well. I just had an idea for a workaround though, so I'll have a look.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:44 AM   #660
Robert Randolph

Quote:
They should; it works here. (You do need to continue holding the shortcut key in that mode, if that helps)

Expected, but I can see why it would be confusing.

That parameter was originally added for some people whose systems (I think it's a Mac issue?) wait too long between "'f' was pressed" and "ffffffffffffffffff..." for the script to tell that it's being held - it causes the menu to open, close because it doesn't see a key, open again because the key is still being held, close, open , etc, so it just flickers really quickly and you can't do anything.

Unfortunately, the script can't differentiate between a repeat message not being sent and the key actually being released, so that parameter is applied there as well. I just had an idea for a workaround though, so I'll have a look.
At the very least, if you can't change it... Then the "If no key is detected" option should be right next to the "close the menu" option.

There's no indication currently that these options are related. It just seems like letting go of the shortcut would close it.

BTW, this shortcut update is amazing. Near-vim like shortcuts now, with a visual indicator. This would be a nice alternative to Vimper for folks that want something hierarchy oriented rather than purely modal.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:56 PM   #661
Lokasenna

Sorry, my mistake, that behavior isn't intended - apparently I fixed that a while back.

The script is only in "startup" mode for half a second or so, during which time the "close after ___ms" setting applies. Once it's finished with startup mode, the window closes instantly for me.

Last edited by Lokasenna; 05-01-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:05 PM   #662
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Sorry, my mistake, that behavior isn't intended - apparently I fixed that a while back.

The script is only in "startup" mode for half a second or so, during which time the "close after ___ms" setting applies. Once it's finished with startup mode, the window closes instantly for me.
Sorry, I'm confused...

So it should be fixed, but there was a regression? Or you think it's still fixed.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:34 PM   #663
snooks
Banned

The key bindings are great. Thanks! Three minor issues:

1) The minimum should be two instead of four. There's a 3 item menu in the default config for example.

2) When KCs are assigned, we'll all be using the same key for the centre Back buttons on every menu. When we are looking at the top level menu and want to exit, that should ideally use the same key.

3) When we have a menu set up for the MIDI editor context, it would be great if it ran SWS/FNG: Focus Midi Editor on close, if the last action was a MIDI editor action.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:34 PM   #664
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
Sorry, I'm confused...

So it should be fixed, but there was a regression? Or you think it's still fixed.
It was a problem in ages past, was fixed, and should not be a problem now. I can't reproduce it here.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:35 PM   #665
Lokasenna

Quote:
The key bindings are great. Thanks! Three minor issues:

1) The minimum should be two instead of four. There's a 3 item menu in the default config for example.

2) When KCs are assigned, we'll all be using the same key for the centre Back buttons on every menu. When we are looking at the top level menu and want to exit, that should ideally use the same key.

3) When we have a menu set up for the MIDI editor context, it would be great if it ran SWS/FNG: Focus Midi Editor on close, if the last action was a MIDI editor action.
1) Alternative facts.

2) Assign the top level's center button to 'quit'?

3) I'll see what I can do.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:59 PM   #666
Robert Randolph

Quote:
It was a problem in ages past, was fixed, and should not be a problem now. I can't reproduce it here.

First I show you the settings... Then I simply press the shortcut to open the Radial Menu and let go.

It takes 5000ms to close. (as per the setting)

If I hold the key for about a second, then it closes when I let go, but that's rather strange. I never want to have the window open that long if I'm not pressing an action.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:36 PM   #667
Lokasenna

That's the correct behavior.
  • That value is (I can perhaps relabel it) how long it will wait for the "key __ is being held down" message before closing. It's only intended to fix startup issues. (The default of 600ms is the shortest I can manage on my system without flickering)
  • In "close the menu when the shortcut key is released" mode, you're meant to keep holding the shortcut key the entire time; maybe that's a point of confusion?
Old 05-01-2017, 07:17 PM   #668
Lokasenna

Updated to 2.7.2:
Code:
New:
	- Option to open the window in a consistent location rather than
	  at the mouse cursor.
	- When set to require the action key to be held down, displays an
	  indicator at the top-left while trying to identify the key
Fixed:
	- Deleting buttons from a menu would clear the center button as well
	- Lowered the time threshold for a double-click to 15ms; fixes issues 
	  with repeatedly clicking a button too quickly.
(@Robert Randolph - that last one is re: your issue with trying to move menu buttons. If it's still misbehaving, you should just need to click slower)

I also uploaded a new example settings.txt, which ReaPack should automatically grab with the update; apparently when I tried to update it the other day I uploaded a blank one instead.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:20 AM   #669
snooks
Banned

Quote:
1) Alternative facts.
I don't get what you mean, in the default menu here, Top Level -> Recording -> Record Mode has 3 options and the minimum menu options for key bindings is 4.
Quote:
2) Assign the top level's center button to 'quit'?
The top level doesn't have a centre button here. I've just noticed that neither does Top Level -> Track.

With the Track one, clicking in the space where the button should be goes back a level. But there is no button to Shift+click and change the function in the editor with these missing buttons. Pressing the key binding for the missing button crashes the script. This is the same with the top level, except clicking with the mouse doesn't do anything (as it shouldn't at the moment, but this is the thing I'd like to make quit).
Quote:
Lokasenna_Radial Menu.lua:6130: attempt to index a nil value (field '?')
Quote:
3) I'll see what I can do.
Cool, thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png top-level.PNG (14.8 KB, 902 views)
Old 05-02-2017, 03:46 AM   #670
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Updated to 2.7.2:
Code:
New:
	- Option to open the window in a consistent location rather than
	  at the mouse cursor.
	- When set to require the action key to be held down, displays an
	  indicator at the top-left while trying to identify the key
Fixed:
	- Deleting buttons from a menu would clear the center button as well
	- Lowered the time threshold for a double-click to 15ms; fixes issues 
	  with repeatedly clicking a button too quickly.
(@Robert Randolph - that last one is re: your issue with trying to move menu buttons. If it's still misbehaving, you should just need to click slower)

I also uploaded a new example settings.txt, which ReaPack should automatically grab with the update; apparently when I tried to update it the other day I uploaded a blank one instead.
"Open the Radial Menu window: in its previous location" opens the window in the lower left of my screen to start, which is kinda weird. It works fine if you move it though. Minor nitpick.

Rest seems to work fine, except for some reason it was flickering on open for me a few minutes ago, and now it's not. Hopefully I'll figure that out later today.

Thanks again!
Old 05-03-2017, 05:54 AM   #671
Lokasenna

Quote:
I don't get what you mean, in the default menu here, Top Level -> Recording -> Record Mode has 3 options and the minimum menu options for key bindings is 4.
It was meant to be a joke. I'll see what I can do.

Quote:
The top level doesn't have a centre button here. I've just noticed that neither does Top Level -> Track.
I'll add them to the example menus. However, in the Setup script, Menus tab, you can enable the center button for a menu right next to where you add/remove buttons.

Quote:
But there is no button to Shift+click and change the function in the editor with these missing buttons. Pressing the key binding for the missing button crashes the script.
Noted.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:29 AM   #672
snooks
Banned

Soz, the joke was too subtle for me, who clearly didn't see the glaring checkbox for adding the centre button.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #673
Arthur McArthur

Been playing around with shortcuts and having some fun of the last few days, thanks again for implementing. In using it a couple things popped up:

-since the last update, holding down keys triggers the actions in a slow and erratic way, whereas before it was smooth and predictable
-the middle button doesn't show visual feedback for action selection
-is it possible to have the script read "MouseKbdBrowse- and MouseKbdBrowse+" as input? so they can either be assigned or be used to close the script
-can an option to close the menu after pressing a specific button be added? like a per-button close option "on button press close radial menu"
-another cool feature to have would be the ability to hide the shortcut guide letters from buttons that don't have actions assigned to them
Old 05-05-2017, 07:44 PM   #674
Lokasenna

Quote:
-since the last update, holding down keys triggers the actions in a slow and erratic way, whereas before it was smooth and predictable
I don't think I changed anything there, but I'll have a look.

Quote:
-the middle button doesn't show visual feedback for action selection
Noted.

Quote:
-is it possible to have the script read "MouseKbdBrowse- and MouseKbdBrowse+" as input? so they can either be assigned or be used to close the script
Don't think so. I'll look through the API though.

Quote:
-can an option to close the menu after pressing a specific button be added? like a per-button close option "on button press close radial menu"
-another cool feature to have would be the ability to hide the shortcut guide letters from buttons that don't have actions assigned to them
Noted.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:20 PM   #675
Arthur McArthur

Sweet. On another note: Im getting an error when I use the alt key while the script is open: "...cripts\ReaTeam Scripts\Various\Lokasenna_Radial Menu.lua:6115: bad argument #1 to 'char' (value out of range)". (I'm not trying to use alt as I shortcut, it happens when I forget the script is open and do alt-crl-z for undo, etc.)

The error actually brings me to another FR I think would be cool and necessary for quick use: have all unassigned keyboard input both close the menu, and "pass through" to REAPER.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #676
Arthur McArthur

And another, have the title of the radial menu script window be the alias of the menu that is being opened via shortcut script, i.e. "Pitch- Radial Menu", "Stretch- Radial Menu", etc.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #677
bFooz

I have an idea - when swiping enabled, the window would not move to mouse cursor but would stay on the original place and it would draw its own cursor mirroring the mouse cursor's position like the mouse was always reset to be in the middle of the script window.

This would be usable e.g. with trackballs or with mouse too, one would not need to jump back and forth with eyes.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #678
snooks
Banned

Quote:
A vital part of this request is that the action only existed on my computer at the time of writing. Apologies for that. There's a like to a new build of SWS in the Stash that adds...

SN_FocusMIDIEditor()

... in this thread...

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=192161
Old 06-25-2017, 10:01 AM   #679
Arthur McArthur

Hey Lokasenna, hope all is well. I just started getting this error with RM:

Lokasenna_Radial Menu.lua:5138: attempt to index a nil value (local 'arr')
Old 06-29-2017, 04:05 AM   #680
Lokasenna

Quote:
Hey Lokasenna, hope all is well. I just started getting this error with RM:

Lokasenna_Radial Menu.lua:5138: attempt to index a nil value (local 'arr')
Looks like an issue loading your saved menus/settings. Just for fun, try renaming Lokasenna_Radial Menu - user settings.txt to something else so it has to start fresh and see if the error persists.