Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-17-2017, 07:54 AM   #1
Publicradio
Human being with feelings

Default Use a shortcut to toggle cc action mapping

Hello, I have a MIDI expression pedal that sends cc #115 on channel 1. I use it to control a wah-wah VST, and as a mod wheel on some VSTis.

I would also like to use it to control other things. For instance, I can map it to the action 'Set Tempo (Coarse)' and use it to control my master tempo. I could also use it to control the volume of tracks, or the master volume.

The problem is, I wouldn't want it to do all of these things, all the time. So I would need to set shortcuts to select it's function. For instance, I could hit win+1 and now the cc would control the tempo action. I could hit win+ctrl+1 and it would stop mapping.

I would also like one mapping to shut off the other. So if I hit win+1 I would get tempo control, but then if I hit win+2, I would be controlling master volume, and the cc would stop mapping to tempo. Maybe there could be another shortcut, like win+0, that would disable them all.

Is this possible? Would I need to use something more advanced, like a script?
Publicradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:21 AM   #2
emid

I can't be of much help, sorry, but try JS: MIDI CC Mapper and use the learn function. It will at least divert the current CC signals to the target one.
emid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
Publicradio

Thanks for the reply. I tried this, but unfurtunately it didn't work. Even if I put the cc changer on an input chain, the action takes precedence over this. So if My pedal is controlling cc 115, and I map it to 114, the action is still listening directly to the hardware, and not the channel.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:07 PM   #4
emid

Have you changed "Pass through CC source" to "yes"?
emid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:54 PM   #5
Publicradio

I'm not sure where I would check that, but anyway I did find a solution to this problem:

I added two new buttons to my main toolbar: Exclusive Toggle A01 and Exclusive Toggle A02. This solution requires the SWS extension. I set ctrl+alt+1 and ctrl+alt+2 to control these buttons, respectively.

Then I created a cycle action. This also requires the SWS Extension. In there it says to change project tempo is Exclusive Toggle A01 is on, and to zoom the timeline horizontally if A02 is on.

Then, I went to my actions list and set my expression pedal to control this cycle action. Now, when no buttons are checked, the pedal has no global effect; however, when I click one of my buttons, or type its shortcut, the pedal now controls tempo or zoom.

These are 'Exclusive Toggles' so checking one will uncheck all the others in the 'A' group. So there you have it. You can have one pedal in your setup that can be set to do all kinds of things: master volume, master tempo, zoom, seek, and plenty of other actions.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:33 PM   #6
Publicradio

This is working OK so far, but I should mention it might not be the best solution. I was getting some lag yesterday, but things seem ok today.

Because it's a cycle action, it needs to check these conditions, whether the dummy toggles are on and off, with every increment of cc value change.

What I mean by that is, let's say your pedal is sending cc 115 and it can have a value from 0 to 127. Using this method, if you push the pedal from all the way down to all the way up, the action has to cycle through all your 'if' conditions 127 times.