Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 07-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #41
Tale
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Here's a jsfx which you can use to look at the impulse response of a sinc function using the various windows:

http://1014.org/shiz/shup/windowtest

in action:
http://1014.org/shiz/shup/windowing_functions.gif

the differences are incredibly quiet.
FWIW here is another comparison between the faulty and the correct window (mimicking Wikipedia's graphs):

Blackman-Frankel

Blackman-Harris

To me Justin's JSFX better illustrates the actual (possible) audible difference, but still these might be useful to someone.

(For those interested: I made these in JSFX, and I will share the source code, one of these days. I haven't yet figured out how to draw individual lobes...)
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:00 PM   #42
Nana

Default reaper_host43.exe crashes frequently

v5.0rc10 x64
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Hi.
A new problem has come up. This time i can not load any of my old projects most of the time.
Reaper crashes during opening/loading the project and throws an error reaper_host32.exe crashed. After that, there are no VST functioning any more.
When i load the project in 4.78, it works perfectly.

Unfortunately i do not know how to trace the error, because the system locks up for about 10 seconds and then the error message disappears, and no VST can be loaded any more. Their UI does not show, only the generic controllers are visible, but without lables and without function.
Are there some logs to check or maybe post here for examination by experts?

Sometimes (again, no pattern, maybe 1 of 10 attempts), the project is openend/loaded by Reaper and is perfectly functional.
Strange enough this random thing coming up again. The 4.78 works without these problems, and i never see such issues in other programs i am currently using. So the computer system itself seems to be 100% O.K.

Anyway, do not get me wrong. Thank you for this great software!
I just hope these issues will be fixed so i can use my license for longer time...

Nana
Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:27 PM   #43
EvilDragon

Sounds like one (or more) of the plugins are crashing the bit-bridge...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #44
plamuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
We'll add this [(changing between quantize time values by action)], but it will be for the first build after 5.0 is released.
via midi cc would be amazing.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:01 PM   #45
Argitoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Saving always starts my script which I found to be helpful, so that's me.
Yes, there should be separate "run" and "save" buttons/hotkeys.

Last edited by Argitoth; 07-27-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Argitoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:10 PM   #46
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana View Post
Unfortunately i do not know how to trace the error, because the system locks up for about 10 seconds and then the error message disappears, and no VST can be loaded any more. Their UI does not show, only the generic controllers are visible, but without lables and without function.

Nana
You could start by removing plugins you suspect, based on some criteria (you know the coder of the plugin is 'novice', the plugin is doing a lot of things with the file system, the plugin is recently installed, etc) and see if it loads. Then insert each plugin into a new project to see which one crashes, or try adding it to a copy of the original project.

Otherwise, you can try binary elimination. Remove half your plugins, if project loads then the faulty plugin is located in the ones you removed, otherwise it's in the ones left. Repeat until you narrow it down.

I know it's a bit of work but it will help Justin to find the problem if it lies in Reaper - knowing which plugin it is exactly he can then do testing himself. A copy of your project file may help, too.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:34 AM   #47
ahs

Default GUI question

why not a black line ? i can't see the white line on my monitors
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unbenannt.jpg (12.1 KB, 330 views)
ahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:57 PM   #48
Aesis

Personally I don't like any kind of FFT windowing or in other words the "rectangular" window. Every other windowing is destructive and does not show the actual transform of the audio. I like to keep it true to the source...

Or, if you are going to edit something, then go all the way and do much more than mere windowing for whatever is the purpose.

(@tale and others discussing this).
Aesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:18 PM   #49
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesis View Post
Personally I don't like any kind of FFT windowing or in other words the "rectangular" window. Every other windowing is destructive and does not show the actual transform of the audio. I like to keep it true to the source...

Or, if you are going to edit something, then go all the way and do much more than mere windowing for whatever is the purpose.

(@tale and others discussing this).
As far as I can recall at the moment, a smoothing window must be used when doing FFT transforms on a signal which can't be analyzed for the whole of its length at once. And that would be the situation for anything involving real time audio where the signal comes in as small chunks. Anyway, this is getting way off topic for this thread. Let's maybe continue this in one of the developer subforums here?

edit : created the other tread here :

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=164358

Last edited by Xenakios; 07-28-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:20 PM   #50
EvilDragon

Xen is right - when doing FFT windowing is obligatory.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:27 PM   #51
Aesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
As far as I can recall at the moment, a smoothing window must be used when doing FFT transforms on a signal which can't be analyzed for the whole of its length at once. And that would be the situation for anything involving real time audio where the signal comes in as small chunks. Anyway, this is getting way off topic for this thread. Let's maybe continue this in one of the developer subforums here?
Well in a sense whatever you are sampling IS a window. On a other hand FFT is simply a co/sine transform so of whatever sample length so... Either you sample the audio accurately or you don't. Rectangular "window" would be sampling it accurately, while others are applying amplitude modulation (equivalent to convolution in frequency domain), distorting the sample. The output would sound like audio fading in and out repeatedly - too inaccurate for purist like me.

Also the name "FFT" is in fact misleading, it really is fast Fourier series.

Alright, will shut up now.
Aesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #52
Xenakios

Quote:
The output would sound like audio fading in and out repeatedly
That's why any FFT based audio processing worth anything will do overlapped processing...Anyway, if you wish to discuss this further, I created the separate thread in the Cockos WDL subforum.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:51 PM   #53
Tronic

Quote:
Well in a sense whatever you are sampling IS a window. On a other hand FFT is simply a co/sine transform so of whatever sample length so... Either you sample the audio accurately or you don't. Rectangular "window" would be sampling it accurately, while others are applying amplitude modulation (equivalent to convolution in frequency domain), distorting the sample. The output would sound like audio fading in and out repeatedly - too inaccurate for purist like me.

Also the name "FFT" is in fact misleading, it really is fast Fourier series.

Alright, will shut up now.
No window is often called the uniform or rectangular window because there is still a windowing effect.
Tronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:05 PM   #54
aMUSEd

Not seeing any improvements in vstpreset support - it still gives me a ridiculously long list instead of the subfolders presets are organised by (as do the aupresets)
aMUSEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:22 PM   #55
daxliniere

I've been having problems lately where x86 bridged plugins (embedded and non-embedded) aren't loading or are loading corrupted.

EDIT: If I open a project, then open the bridged plugin, it either shows something that looks like no GUI mode (but none of the sliders are labeled or have values) or it crashes. However, if I offline-then-online the plugin before opening it, it seems to work as you'd expect on first load.

Last edited by daxliniere; 07-28-2015 at 08:28 PM.
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:14 AM   #56
Nana

Default reaper_host32.exe crash / VST problems /SWS ?

Hi.
I've boiled down to the cause of the problems.... it was a hard work with that binary exclusion thing and removing VST and reinstalling, making test projects, etc. But i found now the cause.
It is the SWS-Extension.
Once I cleaned up the Reaper installataion and reinstalled the rc10 without installing any SWS version (includes beta and release), Reaper is not making the problems. With SWS, any version, it starts making these strange errors.
Maybe that helps.
Actually i do not know if the SWS is really the cause, or if there is something in the API. Strangely the interaction with the VST bridge that crashes randomly on loading and SWS being installed.

greetings
Nana
Old 07-29-2015, 06:22 AM   #57
daxliniere

Two bugs in one LICEcap:

1) Snap item edge to end of source audio sometimes doesn't work.
2) Top & bottom rights corner of item are cut, as if to indicate the item is extended past the source audio's length. (incorrect)

Old 07-29-2015, 07:53 AM   #58
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
2) Top & bottom rights corner of item are cut, as if to indicate the item is extended past the source audio's length. (incorrect)
Yep, an old one also happening in V4. Just zooming close enough in any item end and the extra bevels will become visible when the item is stretched. The bevels may also travel along with the item end.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:40 AM   #59
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
However, if I offline-then-online the plugin before opening it, it seems to work as you'd expect on first load.
This sounds similar to some problems I've been having with Kontakt and Reaper.

When I first open Reaper sometimes Kontakt instruments that use custom graphics look terrible, but if I just click outside of Reaper taking it off focus, then refocus it, things go back to normal.

Very recently I've had the same problem with another Kontakt program that doesn't have any custom graphics. When I first open Reaper the Kontakt buttons don't work and stay on (lit up) when they shouldn't. Basically nothing works until I take Reaper off focus and then refocus.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:12 PM   #60
Nana

Default Tempo/Time Signature Marker

And another "feature":

Once i set a Tempo/Time Signature Marker somewhere in the project, there appears a second one at position 0:00.000. It is impossible to delete this marker and the project BPM is overwritten. From that moment on, i have to modify both, the Project BPM and the 0:00.000-marker to be able to adjust the BPM and to load samples, import midi, etc. at correct BPM.
It is impossible to delete the Tempo/Time Signature Marker at 0:00.000 to go back to the project preferences BPM.
As a result, the project keeps that nasty marker and the only way to get araount this is to maually copy all takes and track FX to a new project and avoid further setting of any markers.

Sorry for my constant coplaints.......

regards
Nana
Old 07-29-2015, 03:17 PM   #61
Nana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
This sounds similar to some problems I've been having with Kontakt and Reaper.

When I first open Reaper sometimes Kontakt instruments that use custom graphics look terrible, but if I just click outside of Reaper taking it off focus, then refocus it, things go back to normal.

Very recently I've had the same problem with another Kontakt program that doesn't have any custom graphics. When I first open Reaper the Kontakt buttons don't work and stay on (lit up) when they shouldn't. Basically nothing works until I take Reaper off focus and then refocus.
Same problem here, but even with your focus trick it does not work. I have to close and restart Reaper, then sometimes it works until a certain point, then the problem comes up again.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:14 PM   #62
nofish

Quote:
And another "feature":

Once i set a Tempo/Time Signature Marker somewhere in the project, there appears a second one at position 0:00.000. It is impossible to delete this marker and the project BPM is overwritten. From that moment on, i have to modify both, the Project BPM and the 0:00.000-marker to be able to adjust the BPM and to load samples, import midi, etc. at correct BPM.
It is impossible to delete the Tempo/Time Signature Marker at 0:00.000 to go back to the project preferences BPM.
As a result, the project keeps that nasty marker and the only way to get araount this is to maually copy all takes and track FX to a new project and avoid further setting of any markers.

regards
Nana
Also an old one..

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=135175

It's deletable btw. but it's not that obvious (posts #6, #9), should probably work with rightclick - remove marker (if it's the only tempo marker and so remove tempo map altogether).

Last edited by nofish; 07-29-2015 at 04:19 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:08 AM   #63
Reno.thestraws

Just a thing that I noticed

When using mouse mod "move item edges but not contents" and actions "move items preserving timing of contents" I think that the snap offset would stay at his position... a lot more logic imho

especially when use the split at transient and then draggin to preserve transient

if offset stay in place, it's a lots more logical for quantizing stuff
Old 07-30-2015, 08:47 AM   #64
Nana

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Also an old one..

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=135175

It's deletable btw. but it's not that obvious (posts #6, #9), should probably work with rightclick - remove marker (if it's the only tempo marker and so remove tempo map altogether).
No, remove marker does not work for that tempo marker at 0:00.000. it just works on other positions of the timeline. The workaround does not work. Reaper crashes if i try it.
btw: I HATE WORKAROUNDS. sorry for pointing that out, but it just had to be said that way.

and extra huge thanks @nofish for his try :->

Last edited by Nana; 07-30-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:15 AM   #65
nofish

^^ Not even a thanks when trying to help.
Welcome to my ignore list.

(sorry for OT)
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:19 PM   #66
Icchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Isn't this why we have the Record Arm buttons on our tracks?

You can play your project with recording anything, but you can't record material without playing. What is it you're wanting to do, where you need to press Record without starting playback?
Arming tracks for recording is a separate thing from arming record in general. When arming tracks for recording, I'm selecting as to what reaper will record, then I choose to record so I'll put record mode on from transport and then I'll punch it in by pressing play.
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:23 PM   #67
Icchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
We'll add this, but it will be for the first build after 5.0 is released.
Thank you thank you thank you! ^__^
I do a lot of midi editing of drums and fleshing out played stuff to full orchestrations, this will speed things up considerably
Old 08-06-2015, 07:09 AM   #68
Icchan

Quote:
And another "feature":

regards
Nana
This has been there for ages and ages. Really annoying and messy. Hope they'll get it fixed.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:52 AM   #69
daxliniere

I don't suppose you can show the master track and delete the first point on the tempo envelope?
Old 08-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #70
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
No, remove marker does not work for that tempo marker at 0:00.000. it just works on other positions of the timeline. The workaround does not work. Reaper crashes if i try it.
btw: I HATE WORKAROUNDS. sorry for pointing that out, but it just had to be said that way.

and extra huge thanks @nofish for his try :->
Yeah, we should allow removing the first one when it is the only one, I agree.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:43 PM   #71
Reno.thestraws

Strange behavior on go to previous marker action

WHy does the cursor consider TIme seletion end and start as markers as well as region end??
Old 08-06-2015, 01:11 PM   #72
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno.thestraws View Post
Strange behavior on go to previous marker action

WHy does the cursor consider TIme seletion end and start as markers as well as region end??
I don't know why but this has been a great feature for me during all these years because I can move to time selection start/end by clicking on home/end arrows in the transport.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:23 PM   #73
Reno.thestraws

Quote:
I don't know why but this has been a great feature for me during all these years because I can move to time selection start/end by clicking on home/end arrows in the transport.
I can understand, but actions need to do what we expect

there's another action that move edit cursor to start/end of time selection and, in my case, it's very annoying in a script...