Old 11-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
Lucian
Human being with feelings

Default Q6600 Micro ATX motherboards

Anyone have any recommendations? I use a Delta-66 interface so need one regular PCI slot. This was recommended by the computer manufacturer. On my old mobo (Some cheap no name bosrd) which is dead, I could get latency down to 7ms with 50 tracks loaded with fx and vstis. Maybe that is all I should expect? Cpu use is very low under this load, the trouble is stuttering, clicking, red bar, etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128388

Thanks

Edit: well it is cheap enough to try but I am guessing for this price it is crap for DAW use?
Update: Just ordered one, should be here Saturday

Last edited by Lucian; 11-24-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Lucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
Lucian

So nobody is running a Q6600 on a micro atx? Am I the lone blasphemer??
You can't all be trust fund engineers with your swanky I7 boards, can you?
Well, I will find out soon enough and post some results
Old 11-26-2010, 12:42 AM   #3
JHughes
Banned

I think I have a microATX board, but I'm running a quad core. Performance is great but not a lot of BIOS options. You can't tell about performance until you use the board though, and I'm sure there are full sized $200+ motherboards that aren't very good for audio.

I think the small boards are definitely worth the money.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:05 AM   #4
Lucian

I hear you. This cpu is actually a quad core. I bought the whole system for $400 and it worked well enough. I could run my buffer at 128 and get 7 ms latency for 50 or so tracks before rendering stuff. The board died however I think due to usb power issues and the link above was recommended. It seems to be better than the current one I had plus it has extensive mid tech level overclocking in the bios and has dual bios as well in case mistakes are made. It would be nice if we could compile a list of boards and cpu's although I know this could be subjective, maybe just posting latency settings with sound cards using Brad sucks demo or something along with the mobo cpu would help or maybe just a screen shot of the dpc latency tool would help? Still this is probaby too subjective. This board has a ton of reviews tho mostly from tweensage overclockers and is making me think actually technology has advanced enough to make this board cheap due to being nearly obsolete. For giggles I will post results when I get my DAW back up and running.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:20 AM   #5
JHughes
Banned

Yes, definitely let us know. Gigabyte has a good reputation lately.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
JGrabowMST

I'd be careful about that type of system. Yes, you only need 1 PCI slot for the Delta series, however if you go with a mATX system, you have two PCI slots max at this point. Considering the rest of the slots will be PCI-Express, that leads to a high possibility of conflict.

The Delta series does not take conflicts well, as it translates into audio glitches.

I've seen very few mATX boards in use successfully, it would take me some time to pick them out of my list. The Delta series is very picky.
JGrabowMST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
Lucian

Well, it is has been installed for a month. Hooked up my old drives and everything started up. Of course I had to reauthorize some vst's but all is well. I consider this board an actual upgrade for me but considering the price I am surprised. Still, there are better boards and so I give it a grade of B+. Current project has 20 tracks audio and 40 tracks vsti, both with 3-6 vst's on them.. However, I am novice home user. As for conflicts, all I run is a my pci delta card and a pci-e dual video card and I am not noticing any problems. If there were, it looks like the interrupts are configurable in the bios although I am not positive, they are at least listed if someone wants actual BIOS screen shots or any other info, let me know. Here is my system at idle with all default settings.

Last edited by Lucian; 12-18-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Lucian is offline   Reply With Quote