Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-15-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
Fabian
Human being with feelings

Default W10 may trash wav-files on FAT formatted SD and CF cards...

Apparently this is real:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...7-8784b5606d09

In short, inserting a FAT formatted SD or CF card into your W10 computer, if that card has wav-files on it those may get trashed by W10. Apparently W10 for some reason strips the first four character "RIFF" meta data tag. And this seems to happen simply when W10 sees the card, you don't even have to tray to play the files.

So... if you have a W10 machine, be very careful with wav files you may have on your SD/CF cards that you insert into the computer. People report to have lost stuff they recorded on an external recorder that used SD/CF media, when trying to transfer the files to their W10 computer.

Also on Gearslutz:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remo...dio-files.html
Old 08-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #2
Tale

Thanks for the heads-up.
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:55 PM   #3
plush2

Thanks for the warning. Hopefully they get it fixed quickly as this would be a major problem for many location recordists.

I think the word "trashed" is a little heavy handed considering you could "trash" a pcm audio file in the same way at one time by simply copying it from HFS to any other file system. The audio is still there in the right order and the riff can be repaired to fix the problem. To me the word "trashed" suggests it is corrupting the actual audio data.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:34 PM   #4
airon

In the Gearslutz thread a gentleman from Microsoft is asking for more data to find and fix the problem. He's calling it a bug, so hopefully they're on it quickly.

I'll wait and watch that thread. It'll be a while before I consider Windows 10 anyway.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:50 PM   #5
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
Thanks for the warning. Hopefully they get it fixed quickly as this would be a major problem for many location recordists.

I think the word "trashed" is a little heavy handed considering you could "trash" a pcm audio file in the same way at one time by simply copying it from HFS to any other file system. The audio is still there in the right order and the riff can be repaired to fix the problem. To me the word "trashed" suggests it is corrupting the actual audio data.
OK, I'm a non-native English speaker/writer/dabbler, I don't have the full nuances of the words. W10 messes up the file, but apparently it is salvageable, I don't know exactly what to call that...
Old 08-15-2015, 09:36 PM   #6
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
OK, I'm a non-native English speaker/writer/dabbler, I don't have the full nuances of the words. W10 messes up the file, but apparently it is salvageable, I don't know exactly what to call that...
Sorry, I didn't mean to single you out in any way. The previous postings I'd read on other forums used that word exactly or similarly severe language. I guess I just supposed you were quoting or paraphrasing them. My apologies for over-reacting.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #7
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to single you out in any way. The previous postings I'd read on other forums used that word exactly or similarly severe language. I guess I just supposed you were quoting or paraphrasing them. My apologies for over-reacting.
No problem
Thanks.