Old 08-30-2015, 11:08 AM   #1
Karie
Human being with feelings

Default Tracking meters in Reaper 5

I just upgraded my tracking machine to Reaper 5 an hour before a session. Big mistake! Where Reaper 4 had horizontal meters that showed peak dB information, the new vertical meters don't show that information, which effectively makes them useless eye candy for my purposes. Is there a simple way to turn the peak level indicator back on. I'm dead in the water until I figure this out.
Karie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
Otto Tune

Simplest solution might be to load the V4 theme (Options/Themes/Default4.0) in V5, or else use a different Track Panel layout in V5, maybe Small Full Meter?
Otto Tune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:16 PM   #3
Karie

Default Thank you!

Loading the V4 theme (Options/Themes/Default4.0) got me my peak meters back. Thank you!

For the longer term, does anyone know of a way to use the 5.0 default theme and still have the peak dB figures displayed? The Reaper User Guide 501a describes Reaper as performing differently than I am experiencing it. Page 102 talks about the peak dB figures displayed "at the right hand end of the VU meter in the TCP". On page 198, it says "Notice that during playback, your VU meters in both track view and mixer view will display the peak level recorded for each individual track."
Old 08-30-2015, 04:51 PM   #4
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Check out the many layouts for the Track Panels in Options->Layouts, in particular the "Full Meter" flavors.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:29 PM   #5
Karie

Default Thread bump, with new information

I've revisited this issue. No success, but I do have more information. With the default theme enabled in 5.15, I see the new vertical yellow meters up in the Track Panel. They still don't show the peak level for an input signal of a record-armed track as a dB number like the 4.x theme. Here's the new info:

1. I tried every available option under Options...Layouts...Track Panel. None causes the peak level to be shows as a dB number. I do see see the levels dancing around in the yellow meter, so I am getting a signal.

2. In Options...Preferences...Appearance...Track Control Panels...VU Meters I unticked/applied/reticked/applied the item "Show dB scales on track meters." Nothing changed. I don't think this is what I'm looking for, and as an aside, I don't see any dB scales on the track meters under either condition. The track control panels are tiny narrow. I don't see any room for dB scale numbers.

3. Reaper is showing what I want down in the Mixer Panel (dB number for peak signal) at the top of the Mixer Panel meters.

4. There is a little dark grey area at the top of the yellow meter in the Track Panel where it looks like the dB number I want should be.

5. When I left click on that area in the Track Panel, it resets the dB number down in the Mixer Panel, which is how this function worked in the 4.x theme.

My question is whether anybody has solved this issue and can give me some guidance. If not, can anyone help me figure out how increase the size (in particular the width) of the meter in the Track Panel, as well as any other steps that might help?
Old 04-30-2016, 08:49 PM   #6
Lokasenna

The default theme doesn't show that information. You'll have to edit the theme or get someone else to do it.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:25 AM   #7
Karie

Default Built-in solution or workaround

I found an option built in to the Default 5.x theme that shows the peak as a dB number: Options...Layout...Track Panel...bd---Small Full Meter. It does change the meter style, but that's probably OK.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #8
bazsound

Curious as to why this is an issue?

either A your recording too high, or B your sources have rediciolous peaks.

ive never had an issue just aiming for touching on yellow which is around -18dbfx with plenty of headroom for peaks.
bazsound is offline   Reply With Quote