Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
johnnymegabyte
Human being with feelings

Default Soundfonts --- how to use in REAPER

I just got a used SB Audigy 2 ZS, an finally around to exploring REAPER, as I was getting horrible latency 480ms with my previous SB PCI-128. Now, I'm getting 2 ms.
Specs = PC Pentium 4. Windows XP Pro SP2. 512MB RAM

1. Do you know how to Temp or Permant load Soundfounts into Synth A and Synth B ?
most of the times, I want a MIDI part for a general guide, then record real bass and keyboards. Drums will always be MIDI. I'm a guitar player. But sometimes, I use Pads, and probably have no need to record on a real instrument. No luck, yet from Creative website KB or FAQ
Does anyone have a link that explains how to setup MIDI Synths on the Audigy 2.

2. I figured I could play a SF in REAPER with "Audio SFZ" VST.
But, I haven't figured how to keep the settings, even when re-playing the Project (stop/rewind/play)
Anybody experienced this behavior ? or use "Audio SFZ" VST ?

3. I was able to use Windows GM MIDI, but then there was no affect if I moved the volume slider in REAPER. Anybody know why ?
It seemed to work OK on the PCI-128.

any help appreciated.

Last edited by johnnymegabyte; 07-14-2008 at 11:34 AM.
johnnymegabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymegabyte View Post
1. Do you know how to Temp or Permant load Soundfounts into Synth A and Synth B ?
[...]
Does anyone have a link that explains how to setup MIDI Synths on the Audigy 2.
Found only this one for the Audigy 2 ZS:
http://www.drumputer.com/soundfont/installation.html
AFAIK it recalls the last soundfont(s) you loaded automatically.

Quote:
2. I figured I could play a SF in REAPER with "Audio SFZ" VST.
But, I haven't figured how to keep the settings, even when re-playing the Project (stop/rewind/play)
Anybody experienced this behavior ? or use "Audio SFZ" VST ?
Not quite sure what you mean. If you mean it jumps to an different sound than selected after stop, this normally happens only with imported MIDI files since Reaper doesn't insert Program Change (=sound change) commands on its own.

Quote:
3. I was able to use Windows GM MIDI, but then there was no affect if I moved the volume slider in REAPER. Anybody know why ?
It seemed to work OK on the PCI-128.
The volume sliders in Reaper affect only audio and the output of VSTIs (which is also audio then). MIDI volume commands have to be inserted manually in the MIDI editor. Since you have a zero-latency hardware-"synth" on the Audigy, there's no sense in using the low-quality, lagging MS software thing anyway.

This thread http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=16270 contains a link to a GM program changer JS plugin which comes in handy when using GM sound generators like the Audigy's synth.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
Limeflavour

I don't really use soundfonts alot but when I do I use the free vsti plugin "sfz" by rgcaudio/cakewalk.
There may be better choices now since this plugin is rather old and there's probably someone with alot more experience with soundfont than me which will give a better answer to you.

(edit: they're even faster than me )
Limeflavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
johnnymegabyte

Thanks both of you.
Steindork --- if REAPER, doesn't see a program change, which makes sense, as I created these MIDI using SB GS MIDI 8MB, years ago, using the SB PCI-128. So, I have manually "fooled" the VST player, in a way, to play a Soundfont with different "program" and "bank"
Luckily, I created a "setting" for Drums (channel 10, bank 128, instrument 0), which helps, but is not a true solution.

I will investigate that Thread fo JS programming.
If all fails, I can re-edit the MIDI volumes back in the program I used (Freeware JAZZ++)

So far, I found some Soundfonts "more" realistic compare to MS GM developed by Roland, or VSC VSTi. Maybe this sort of encouraged me to head in that direction.
johnnymegabyte is offline   Reply With Quote