Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2007, 10:13 PM   #1
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe
Human being with feelings

Default Using Reaper as a multi velocity drum replacer (with several samples on each layer)

hey all,

I just figured out how to use Reaper as a multi velocity drum replacer with several samples that are randomly switched between on each velocity layer.

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/16401/R...gog-killer.zip
555kB containing an example project + 1 new JS plug in: a MIDI velocity low pass and high pass filter.

this example project has four velocity layers with two samples on each layer (more velocity layers and/or samples per layer could easily be added if you'd like that).

before opening the project make sure you copy the "Jonas"-folder (containing the new MIDI velocity lphp-plug in) to ...\REAPER\Effects

how it works:

the drum that should be replaced is put on (or routed to) the trigger track. the fx on that track are:

* Reagate: to choose which hits to replace
* SStillwell/drumtrigger: to convert each hit to a midi note
* SStillwell/randomizer: to randomly switch between different notes on each hit

the resulting midi notes are then routed to four tracks within the snare folder: low vel, low mid vel, hi mid vel and high vel. (meaning low velocity layer ... high velocity layer.)

th fx on each of these tracks are:

* Jonas/velocity_lphp: to choose by velocity which notes to let through and which to mute. only notes with a velocity above or equal to the high pass setting and below or equal to the low pass setting will be let through.
* ReaSamplOmatic5000: to play the first sample in this velocity layer.
* ReaSamplOmatic5000: to play the second sample in this velocity layer.

(the randomizer on the trigger track chooses which of these two samples to play.)

then I just set up the velocity_lphps like crossovers, that is: the the first velocity layer plays hits with a velocity between 0 and 47, the second between 48 and 64 and so on.

sounds kind of complicated but just load the example project (after first dumping the "Jonas"-folder into you Effects-folder as described above) and see and hear it in action.

usage hints:

* adjust the threshold and/or filter on the Reagate to choose which hits to replace (and which not to).

* raise the the wet fader in the Reagate (on the trigger track) until the hardest hit on the drum you want to replace is sent to the highest velocity layer.

* adjust the velocity "crossovers" to decide which sample layer to be played at which hit.

* probably more that I can't think of right now

ah, my first JS plug in...
regards,
- Jonas

PS1: the velocity_lphp seems to work just fine (is really just a modified version of the midi_velocitycontrol) but the usual "if my plug in fries your computer I'm not to blame"-disclaimer applies. S

PS2: I kind of like having the different velocity layers on different track (makes it easy to adjust levels) but I'm thinking of a way to do all replacing on one track. that would make it possible to have a fx-chain that you could just load up on any track you want to replace... but I'll get back to that in a couple of days : DS

PS3: the idea to this came from this thread http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthre...1159#post61159 (scroll down a bit) : DS

Last edited by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe; 04-03-2007 at 10:16 PM.
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe is offline   Reply With Quote