Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-27-2017, 05:14 PM   #1
nirospring
Human being with feelings

Default Where to find Cheap Mixing and Mastering??

I understand that you get what you pay for, but I would like to find audio mixing for less than $200 per track. Actually, I was hoping $40 per track, and this doesn't seem to exist. My songs are fairly uncomplicated rock and roll. I usually bounce my tracks down to less than 6 tracks. I'm just looking for someone with the right skills and plug-ins to play with my song for an hour, and send back the result (which I don't expect to be professional, but a solid improvement). And then hopefully a little advice for future tracks.

I know a little bit about compression, reverb, eq, etc. When I spend the time, I feel like I get ok results on my own stuff. But I'm not an audiophile, and I'd much rather be writing music than tweaking it. And I'd rather not hate my own music by the time I'm done mixing it.

Any advice from anyone? I'd think there'd be a lot of freelance mixers out there that would give a one hour mix for $40.

I threw a few songs up on soundcloud to give an idea of what I'm talking about. If anyone is interested or has a lead please pass it on. I appreciate it.
https://soundcloud.com/user-662394505
nirospring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:50 PM   #2
JayJSE2

Well this is a bit of luck for both of us! I'm just starting out freelancing, and I was thinking of starting rates at around £30-40 (not sure the conversion to $). Your music sounds great, I'd be happy to work on it!

Just as a (kind of) warning, I'm not that experienced at mastering, only editing and mixing.
JayJSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:38 AM   #3
bladerunner

Here's my Airgigs profile with examples of my work..

https://www.airgigs.com/mixing-engin...ional-engineer

I do mainly mastering for a living but I love to get my teeth into a mix now and again. I've mastered for a few folks here at the forum.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
mykrobinson

I gotta give props to @bladerunner, he did some mighty fine work for me a couple years ago. We recorded at a crappy local studio and he did a fantastic job, despite having less than stellar source material to work with.
mykrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:04 PM   #5
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykrobinson View Post
I gotta give props to @bladerunner, he did some mighty fine work for me a couple years ago. We recorded at a crappy local studio and he did a fantastic job, despite having less than stellar source material to work with.
Thank you very much Myk! I hope to work with you again soon sir
Old 05-28-2017, 12:52 PM   #6
MrBongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirospring View Post
I usually bounce my tracks down to less than 6 tracks. I'm just looking for someone with the right skills and plug-ins to play with my song for an hour, and send back the result (which I don't expect to be professional, but a solid improvement). And then hopefully a little advice for future tracks.
Let´s do it the other way round:
give me the complete multitracks without bouncing to stems, and I´ll make it sound as good as possible. Money is not an issue.

https://soundcloud.com/luthersdungeo...ic-mix/s-dT3oK
MrBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:38 AM   #7
jmgweb01

Default Where to find Mixing & Mastering

https://soundbetter.com/s/mixing-engineers has a variety of providers, Mixing as low as $100/song and Mastering for $50. Just a reminder, you get what you pay for.
jmgweb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:53 AM   #8
Twangothan

A friend of mine does it on a low key basis - there are plenty of reference tracks available you can check out to see if you like what he does.

http://www.atticadia.co.uk/?page_id=2
Twangothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #9
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirospring;18495
[url
https://soundcloud.com/user-662394505[/url]
I really like The feeling of the músic. Whats effect you put on your Voice? Sounds me john Lennon Child of nature for some reason
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:53 AM   #10
jpanderson80

I'd love to master for you.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:28 PM   #11
squibs

I notice nobody is asking what sound you're going for. If you have a couple of reference tracks you like (citing which track on soundcloud you want to have that sound), I'll bake you you a mix. If you like it, pay me what you think it's worth. If you don't like it, no hard feelings.

For mastering, it's rare to find someone doing it well in software. I have IK Multimedia Lursen, and other mastering processors but I usually prefer the results achieved through (very expensive) hardware to my own efforts.
squibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:08 AM   #12
bFooz

Quote:
I understand that you get what you pay for, but I would like to find audio mixing for less than $200 per track.
You can check out my site. The price is lower because of where I live.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:26 AM   #13
bladerunner

Quote:
Actually, I was hoping $40 per track
You can't value what a mix engineer does much if you think they're only worth $40 of your money to do what you can't.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:38 AM   #14
deeb

does anyone knows what type of effect it's in his voice?
https://soundcloud.com/user-66239450...ck-my-own-comp

speaker phone? i love the sound
Old 06-15-2017, 09:46 AM   #15
JayJSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
does anyone knows what type of effect it's in his voice?
It sounds like a high pass filter with lots of compression and possibly also a short reverb on top.
JayJSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #16
deeb

Default nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJSE2 View Post
It sounds like a high pass filter with lots of compression and possibly also a short reverb on top.
nice!
Old 05-11-2018, 02:20 PM   #17
Ary

Default MIXING ENGINEER

Visit MIXING ENGINEER
http://sevenskiesmusic.com/blog/mixing-engineer They have a large library of high-quality tunes from various musicians, so you'll find what's best for your needs.
From fast musical compositions to calm and soft. In addition, this site is still free! Find interesting tags))
Good day!
Ary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:42 PM   #18
RDBOIS
Banned

Hey if you want, I have cheap gear and most of my mixes sound pretty darn cheap - I can Master a real cheap song for you?

hehehe
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:50 PM   #19
grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgweb01 View Post
https://soundbetter.com/s/mixing-engineers has a variety of providers, Mixing as low as $100/song and Mastering for $50. Just a reminder, you get what you pay for.
I have hired musicians of the highest calibre from the Soundbetter web site,a drummer and a singer.
I felt so spoilt and it was painless, while I realize there can be idiots out there, money does not always rule peoples lives sometimes you just strike wonderful people so look hard and figure out your people before you hire them.

Make sure your music is edited well too.
Even if you go in all guns blazing you may well learn something as well!

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #20
ashcat_lt

I charge $15/hr as long as there's no pressing deadline and I can work on it when I find the time. A single song shouldn't take an hour, but there's a 4 hour minimum, so you'd be best off sending me several, if not a full album.

I feel like "mastering" on a single song is not really a thing unless you're actually mastering - preparing the piece for a given playback medium like creating the lacquer for a vinyl pressing. Otherwise, if the mix is what you want to hear, then mastering is setting final levels. If the mix isn't what you want to hear, remix it.

When you've got multiple pieces that you want to flow as an "album", it makes more sense because you're trying to set relative levels and adjust the frequency response of each piece so they all sound or feel more like a cohesive unit. I'll gladly take your money to maximize a single for you, but again you'd be better off giving me the whole album.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:32 PM   #21
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post

I feel like "mastering" on a single song is not really a thing unless you're actually mastering - preparing the piece for a given playback medium like creating the lacquer for a vinyl pressing. Otherwise, if the mix is what you want to hear, then mastering is setting final levels. If the mix isn't what you want to hear, remix it.
Mastering isn't just about preparation for manufacture - that's just the technical side. It's mostly about making adjustments to remove or minimise anything that gets in the way of the enjoyment of hearing it and also to satisfy audience/genre/client expectations. So, a single song is just as valid for the mastering process as any other type of release. If mastering multiple tracks for a release you then have to take consistency into account too.
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:55 AM   #22
ashcat_lt

Technically you're referring to pre-mastering, but yes common usage is to just call it mastering. It's a pedantic argument, really. My point is that if the mix of a single piece needs adjustments, then the mix isn't done. If the mix is actually done, the most it should need is final leveling.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #23
karbomusic

Quote:
Technically you're referring to pre-mastering, but yes common usage is to just call it mastering. It's a pedantic argument, really. My point is that if the mix of a single piece needs adjustments, then the mix isn't done. If the mix is actually done, the most it should need is final leveling.
+1000 - Albeit there is "a whole lotta mastering going on" due to falling short on the mix sonics as a whole.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:44 AM   #24
bladerunner

Quote:
Well.. yes and no.. Those 'adjustments to remove or minimise anything that gets in the way of the enjoyment of hearing it' are really room corrections. Most mixing is done in small rooms with little or no treatment. These rooms will always have problems in the bass/low mids and 9 times out of 10 my eq'ing for clients is around the 50 - 500 Hz area. I guess we can call it whatever we like but it all comes under mastering for me.

'to satisfy audience/genre/client expectations' is a lot more subjective. I almost always work with electronica and dance music (and have been making that kind of music myself since 2001) so I've honed down appropriate saturation and compression that nearly always pleases the client (if I think it's needed).
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:15 AM   #25
RDBOIS
Banned

I listened to the songs you posted on Soundcloud.

You have some good material there.

IMO:

1) some songs require very little processing are well mixed, others probably need mixing tweaks

2) some songs have lots of dynamics and headroom, others are loud and squashed

3) some song need the bass to be tamed

4) some songs are very harsh and the mids need to be tamed

5) in some songs the mids are harsh and masking the vocals - which may not be fixed my Mastering

I think Mastering can help improve some songs - the overall balance - but some songs may be more difficult to deal with (i.e. requires more time/work). If you were making an album the Mastering would require making all the songs register in a similar sonic space - which may be very difficult without access to the stems (i.e. require a lot of work).

My suggestion is, whoever you hire, unless you want all the songs to be Mastered, you ask the following question:

- "Which of these songs do you think you can make significant contributions too/improve?"

Then give this person the songs you would like to have Mastered and see how many they can do for the money you have.

I say this because at the rate you intend to pay (i.e.the money you have for this work) you may want the person Mastering to focus on songs where there will be more bang for the buck. Inversely, if you say to this person : Please Master this or that song - and you pick the songs that have harsh mids masking the vocals and that have very little headroom, then you'll blow all your money on one or two songs.

Just a suggestion. Do as thou will.

RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote