Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-13-2014, 10:00 AM   #41
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
Right now, everything is running just fine with pulseaudio and alsa side by side and jack is available and runs too, so I'm not going to be changing anything on my system. It took research, like you said, but for pulseaudio as well as for jack and alsa. It was worth it though.
If you have gotten Jack to coexist with PA, then it ought to be quite easy to get wineasio working too. All it really is, is a runtime lib that needs to be installed on the system, and registered in your wineprefix.

Quote:
I am still looking forward to updates of Wine and WineASIO though. I believe within the next 10 years it will be pretty successful. It's already successful, but for audio and multimedia it's still lagging just a bit as far as the older [stable] release goes. I would install a newer [testing] version of both of those, but I couldn't get the installer dependencies resolved without an automatic internet connection and a fully updated operating system.
I don't think wineasio can be much improved, but Reaper could indeed be made to work slightly better with it. Wine could most certainly be improved too, as there are a few minor bugs, for instance with the file dialog boxes, etc. Running reaper in wine also uses quite a lot of cpu for screen updates, hopefully this can be made better too.

It would be really great if someone ported Swell to linux, as the Cockos devs have stated that if that happens we will get a native linux version of Reaper. Me myself, I think that running it in wine is great, as it gives access to a pletaphora of windows plugins integrated into the DAW, and I'm not quite sure of how well all that would work in a native reaper version.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #42
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaemon View Post
I spend a little time to re-setup ubuntu (14.04.01 64-bit still) now focusing more on not mixing up 64-bit and 32-bit.

So I installed wine running: apt-get install wine1.6-amd64

Installed wineasio in 64-bit from the kxstudio-repositories and registered that.

Only I don't know about Jack. I simply got that through: apt-get install jackd

Unfortunately Reaper still doesn't work with Asio.
BUT:
With Jack started, running Reaper and there opening the audio preferences and chosing ASIO, a message shows up in Jack's log, telling:

ERROR: Cannot read socket fd = 17 err = No such file or directory
ERROR: Unknown request 0

I searched for explanation of that message but couldn't find anything.

This could probably again be an issue of running 64bit/32bit, as Jack Winter assumed earlier (?):

Can someone tell about that error messages? Does it point me to some missing (i386-)libraries or something?

Could it be a problem with Jack being 32-bit (?) or is it in 64-bit automatically by installing it from a 64-bit machine? Sorry, I don't have any clue, yet...

Maybe I did some things wrong in the installation process as described above?

Any suggestions are much apreciated! Thanks!
Hmm, I really don't know what that msg means as it comes from Jack2, and I use Jack1 (they are 2 parallel implementations of the same daemon/API).

Maybe you have gotten some libs mixed up, IMO the best would be to get all the components from the kxstudio repos. That is to say, get jack, wineasio, wine-rt, etc from there.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 08-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #43
corazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Hmm, this really shouldn't happen
Seemed to0 insignificant to make a bug report, it's been
that way for years, and the way Reaper works for the important
tasks, is what counts. Probably a little niggle with the linux/wine
gui tools. Maybe if it ever gets broke, I'll fix it.
Cheers
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #44
Nystagmus

Quote:
Yes I am sure, I'm one of the authors of wineasio. The other methods of outputting audio from reaper passes wine's audio stack, but wineasio uses jack directly, bypassing it.

This is all a very thorny issue First of all, Wine actually doesn't have any pulseaudio support at all, that's patched in by various distros. The patches were submitted to the wine project, but they didn't feel that it was up to it's coding standards and they didn't want to support 2 backends. IMO it would have been better to leave the PA support out of wine, as PA can be a sink for alsa audio, so wine could perfectly well talk to PA anyways.

The other part is getting jack to run. First of all there are 2 ways to get jack to run, one by simply executing the jack daemon, and the other by activating it through dbus. There have also been years of troubles in that PA very happily hogs the soundcard, and has often failed to release it to jack when jack needs access to it. This situation is slowly improving, but it's still a mess, and IMO unforgivable that especially audio orientated distros still get this wrong. PA may be something very good (I am not going to call it shit in public), but it's also been a huge PITA due to bugs and how all this has been handled by various distros.

I think I reccomended you some time back to use the kxstudio repos if you were on a modern debian distro, just to avoid this whole &^%$ mess Falktx, the developer behind kxstudio has gone out of his way, to straighten this out for modern debian distros, and he included wine-rt, wineasio, and even reaper in the binary repos. Think he dropped all the free/demo software recently, so you can no longer install reaper straight through the package manager, but he still supports wine, together with pulse audio and all the rest.

For the bare minimum one would need a soundcard supported by alsa (and not in use by some other program), jack, wineasio, wine and reaper. For low latency it would be advantageous to also use a realtime patched kernel (with a few additional tweaks to the system) and wine-rt.

One can run reaper (even 64b) with a lot of FX at very low latency without any xruns (audio dropouts), but unfortunately there are also still parts of reaper that cause dropouts when editing, etc, but as one can't hear them they aren't really of any huge importance, just an annoyance.

I understand if this situation is bewildering to the linux noob, and in my own opinion it really is unforgivable that the user gets this experience..! But that's just the logical conclusion of the linux environment, where there are many ways to skin a cat, and each user/distro is free to combine building blocks as they see fit. Also don't forget that most linux users are very condescending towards windows, and have no big incentive to make this work any better. But PA has also been very troublesome for linux audio users wanting to run Ardour and other native linux audio programs...

I wish I could give simple step by step instructions, but it's impossible due to differences in distros, and personally I also have no interrest in knowing how they all work and how to run reaper on them...

Sorry for writing a novel, but don't know how to reduce this information into a short few paragraphs.
Hey, thanks for a thorough response.

I did actually follow your advice to install some KXstudio repository stuff for audio and that's actually the only way I was able to get any form of WineASIO at all.

Unfortunately, the RT patch stuff you told me about I couldn't figure out at all how to install. And I didn't seem to have any default installers for that type of thing and I know nothing about how to compile stuff and I really don't want to be messing with that type of approach anyhow, because if something goes wrong, I'll have no way of recovering from it since I don't have internet update capability and I'm not using LVM snapshots or anything like that.

As for PulseAudio, strangely enough, it's turned out to be more stable for me than WineASIO with Reaper, but from what I read on the "Glitchless PulseAudio" website, the improvements of PulseAudio that were incorporated into the PulseAudio upstream from an improvement fork reveal serious limitations, bugs and problems that are caused by and experienced by ALSA. The list of ALSA problems is actually pretty extensive, even though ALSA is sometimes more compatible than alternatives.

Also, some of the newer authors have mentioned that the tons of problems with PulseAudio usually show up in OLD forum information that is several years old. And that some of the problems have since been resolved with PulseAudio updates.

And last but not least, the authors of PulseAudio have said at earlier dates themselves, that PulseAudio was never meant for pro audio use (low latency, high sample rate, high bit resolution, etc) and that it's just supposed to be for general and simple use. And I would say for general and simple use, it does work and actually is easier to understand as a newbie in terms of GUI stuff than the alternatives with the exception of QasMixer for ALSA.

I think that the tricky part is learning what the PulseAudio settings mean inside of it's editable configuration file and computing good results to match the soundcard. But once I did that, most of my problems went away.

Also, I had huge improvements after following the linux pro audio optimization tips from a site specifically for linux pro audio optimizations. It was stuff like kernel settings, disabling unneeded services and programs, and mounting the filesystem with "noatime" (no access time logging). And then various Reaper-specific preferences options changes that made huge differences. Disabling soundcard inputs helped a lot, keeping waveform peakfiles in RAM helped, finding a good balance of CPU threading priorities, and buffer sizes..., etc.

The thing about PulseAudio that I have no control over whatsoever, is the fact that MANY Linux Distros use PulseAudio installed by default. I don't think this is by accident. I'm not crazy about it and would prefer a pro audio alternative, but it seems to be appealing to those who decide what gets put into a distro. So until the pro audio stuff gets designed to be more user friendly, people will still be installing PulseAudio by default and as a percentage of them try out pro audio hobbies, the same issues will be cropping up time after time, unless incremental improvements to everything involved in the audio chain overwhelms and overcomes the glitches.

So overall, I do agree with you, but I feel that it's not a simple solution to just "install WineASIO and run JACK". I had a lot of difficulty with that and I'm not entirely a total newbie beginner anymore. Also, I didn't want to install the entire KXstudio repository, and even the KXstudio author admits some problems with the repo/install disc on his recent forums.

And if people accidentally install the wrong version (debian instead of ubuntu) it can be problematic too. Some of the repo download names have very confusing names. I remember two items, for example, that both implied i386 WineASIO but each had a different name and filesize and I could never figure out which one I needed, or if I needed both, and which one was supposed to be installed first.

I never would have even found anything to install without extensive forum searching and posting because most of the info that shows up in web searches is outdated stuff from a very long time ago.

So yeah, it's a very thorny issue in about 8-10 different ways.

But I don't really disagree with you. And I'm thankful for your help.
All I can say is what I've experienced.
Nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:00 AM   #45
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
The thing about PulseAudio that I have no control over whatsoever, is the fact that MANY Linux Distros use PulseAudio installed by default. I don't think this is by accident. I'm not crazy about it and would prefer a pro audio alternative, but it seems to be appealing to those who decide what gets put into a distro. So until the pro audio stuff gets designed to be more user friendly, people will still be installing PulseAudio by default and as a percentage of them try out pro audio hobbies, the same issues will be cropping up time after time, unless incremental improvements to everything involved in the audio chain overwhelms and overcomes the glitches.

So overall, I do agree with you, but I feel that it's not a simple solution to just "install WineASIO and run JACK". I had a lot of difficulty with that and I'm not entirely a total newbie beginner anymore. Also, I didn't want to install the entire KXstudio repository, and even the KXstudio author admits some problems with the repo/install disc on his recent forums.

So yeah, it's a very thorny issue in about 8-10 different ways.

But I don't really disagree with you. And I'm thankful for your help.
All I can say is what I've experienced.
Sure, if you don't need lowlatency then the easiest way would most certainly be to use what your distro has configured for you. If that is a patched wine on top of pulseaudio then just go with that. Trying to fight the distro is normally not an easy thing at all.

That said, if a distro ships pa and jack, then it also ought to have configured it properly which would mean that the one can start jack without a problem, and pa would release the soundcard for jack's use, and then redirect pa's output to the jack server. If so, all you'd have to do get wineasio installed (and possibly wine-rt) and it all ought to just work, ymmw as always

Some more details on why things are like they are (regarding wineasio and wine-rt). To build wineasio you need the asio.h header file from Steinberg's SDK. This file unfortunately is explicitly prohibited from being distributed by anyone but Steinberg, so it can't be included in the wineasio source code. This means that most distros won't make a binary available and you'd have to build it yourself, or find a repo that makes a binary available for your distro.

Wine-rt adds the functionality of mapping windows priority levels to that of linux, thus making it less likely to experience audio underruns. The wine project doesn't want to add that patch as they are afraid that it might let malicious or badly written apps crash wine or the hosting computer. So again the responsability ends up with the end user, unless the linux distro takes care of it.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #46
Nystagmus

Quote:
Sure, if you don't need lowlatency then the easiest way would most certainly be to use what your distro has configured for you. If that is a patched wine on top of pulseaudio then just go with that. Trying to fight the distro is normally not an easy thing at all.

That said, if a distro ships pa and jack, then it also ought to have configured it properly which would mean that the one can start jack without a problem, and pa would release the soundcard for jack's use, and then redirect pa's output to the jack server. If so, all you'd have to do get wineasio installed (and possibly wine-rt) and it all ought to just work, ymmw as always

Some more details on why things are like they are (regarding wineasio and wine-rt). To build wineasio you need the asio.h header file from Steinberg's SDK. This file unfortunately is explicitly prohibited from being distributed by anyone but Steinberg, so it can't be included in the wineasio source code. This means that most distros won't make a binary available and you'd have to build it yourself, or find a repo that makes a binary available for your distro.

Wine-rt adds the functionality of mapping windows priority levels to that of linux, thus making it less likely to experience audio underruns. The wine project doesn't want to add that patch as they are afraid that it might let malicious or badly written apps crash wine or the hosting computer. So again the responsability ends up with the end user, unless the linux distro takes care of it.
Hmmm, interesting insights, Jack. Thanks for explaining that. What you said makes sense.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:04 PM   #47
Nystagmus

Default Ubuntu Studio v14.04 LTS JACK / ALSA woes explained...

For what it's worth, I recently tried to set up JACK again instead of PulseAudio, and I confirmed that for some reason my Wine (Windows) programs can't play any audio at all unless WineConfig has PulseAudio set. The exception to this is FL Studio and Reaper and I guess Audacity, which can use JACK and WineASIO. But I can't get Foobar2000 or MusicCubeOne or a few other programs to play audio without Wine's PulseAudio default. Foobar2000 doesn't even work with the WASAPI nor ASIO foo extensions, so that's just lame...

Worse, for some reason JACK spits up tons of error messages when using Reaper and sometimes with FL Studio too. It chokes on just a single xRun and needs to be reset constantly. Sometimes JACK's errors seem to cause Reaper to crash.

I don't have this problem when I just use PulseAudio and WASAPI in Reaper and make sure that my PulseAudio settings are good.

I could work around the problems in JACK if I kicked up the buffer settings, but I can't get good results for anything below 21 ms of latency, and that's unfortunately right beyond the barrier of latency perception and could be a pain for overdubbing and MIDI and visual GUI stuff.

There's probably some special detail I am missing to fix everything, or my distro isn't updated enough, but I'm not connected to the internet with my DAW.

To make matters even more complex, some of my Linux audio and video programs complain if the soundcard settings are NOT totally perfect. Like for example if I use a direct hardware connection with ALSA... if the data format isn't exactly what the soundcard needs, either no audio plays, or the program crashes.

With PulseAudio it's not always a direct connection depending upon the settings and hard/soft mixer used, but at least the data gets to the card.
And since my USB speakers are only 16-bit I think software mixing might actually sound better than the speaker's decimated PCM hardware mixing/volume control.

But I digress.

What I'm pretty much trying to say is just how technical it can get if you're in my shoes. But I still have faith that the situation will get better, perhaps this october when Ubuntu Studio Linux and related distros get a hard update.

The good and most important thing is that I'm still able to use Reaper and make music without crashes or interruptions or buffer underruns/xRuns using PulseAudio the way I have it set up (finally). I am able to use enough VST's and do MIDI overdubs with VSTi synths. I will always be thankful to Reaper for ACTUALLY WORKING ON LINUX. At least that much rocks.

I do know that WineASIO get's lower latency, because I tested it out. But something about my system just isn't yet stable with it.

Hopefully later this year I can work out how to get more updates to my offline DAW... probably from the KXstudio repos. Ironically, my laptop has all the updates needed already, but I don't like using my laptop for DAW use.

Anyways, thanks for reading all this. Just a slice of reality...

Last edited by Nystagmus; 02-23-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:28 PM   #48
Nystagmus

Hey Jack, i rethought about what you've said here and reread your insights. I'm gonna give KX Studio and maybe AV Linux another try and install a recent liveCD. My Ubuntu Studio setup is pretty much optimized and complete now and running really well. So maybe i can add some more linux partitions and multiboot after i figure out how to change from MBR and grub4dos to GPT and something else. I already used up the 4 partitions with puppy linux, storage, and a swap area. KX looks wierd and complex to me, but maybe i could weed out the wierdness and install XFCE. Maybe i'll just use an extra hard drive via usb. Anyways, stuff you mentioned all adds up. Thanks, jack.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:26 AM   #49
daverich

Hey guys.

Just to let you know I'm running reaper 32bit in Antergos (arch) and it's working great (reaper64 has issues with stuck midi notes using bridged plugs but 32bit is perfect).

Just to let you know that Native Instruments stuff is problematic though. The latest Kontakt5 installer will not install using WINE. Neither will Alicia's Keys.

Kontakt5 just throws an error when Reaper scans it and freezes it up for a few seconds.

IKmultimedia and Voxengo both working perfectly though (oh and VB3 also working just fine)
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:51 PM   #50
Nystagmus

UPDATE:

Due to tragic events in my personal life not related to computers, I lost my Ubuntu Studio DAW entirely.

But recently I got a new use laptop and installed Lubuntu on it. Lubuntu is optimized to be friendly to older computers and it requires less RAM than other operating systems in it's family.

I was easily able to install an updatable Wine and from there install/run REAPER with no real problems thus far.

I was also able to install Pulse Audio if needed. (It wasn't needed to get sound).

So things are still good with Reaper and Linux.

EDIT: Well I unfortunately had trouble with MIDI latency in Lubuntu. Ubuntu studio has a low latency kernel but Lubuntu I think lacks that. And I think it's needed for better MIDI latency.

So I finally got tired of configuration education, so I went back to Windows 7 for now.

Last edited by Nystagmus; 05-20-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:46 PM   #51
Nystagmus

Default Ubuntu Studio and Reaper

So I recently retried Windows 7 again, and it got knocked down by seriously evil malware, so I wiped it all clean and went back to Ubuntu Studio.

Everything is running OK, just like it was before during the first time I used Ubuntu Studio. I had to tweak it a little bit, but it was basic stuff that needed adjustment that I already covered in past posts (stuff like disabling unused inputs and using WASAPI).

The nice thing is that the MIDI latency in Ubuntu studio is better than it was in Windows. Also Windows 7 had some weird hard drive thrashing that I couldn't get rid of, but of course it's gone now in Ubuntu.

If anybody has any questions about how to set up Ubuntu Studio I can possibly help. Reaper works alright on it. Not perfect, but good enough to get work done.

Update: Reaper v4.78 (and up?) and Ubuntu Studio v14.04.x LTS... Something helpful...

There are a lot of complaints about PulseAudio, but you don't have to use it in Reaper. Go to the Configure Wine from the Ubuntu menu and choose (System Default) from the audio page instead of Pulse Audio. In recent versions of Ubuntu this defaults to ALSA, I believe. So Wine will still work with Reaper and ALSA and everything should be fine. It might give you less control but more stability.

On my system choosing this (System Default) instead of Pulse Audio for Wine fixed a lot of glitches. As usual, also disable soundcard inputs in the Reaper preferences until you need to use them to save CPU and prevent glitches. Good luck!

Last edited by Nystagmus; 07-13-2015 at 10:04 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-18-2015, 02:57 PM   #52
nPHYN1T3

@Nystagmus I'd love some help. I installed Ubuntu Studio last week, then switched to normal Xubuntu while fighting various problems. I don't really give a chit which distro I use so long as I can get Reaper up, but I can't. I've dragged my feet buying Reaper 5 for this very reason. Win 7 support is officially over and Win 10 is aimed at unifying the Win install base so software and hardware vendors alike may or may not continue to support their products on it. Win 10 is a nightmare for privacy and UI as they have removed the "classic" UI options thus I have to move to something else.

I've ping ponged between Ubuntu Studio and Xubuntu for some test installs on my work machine as there are tons of problems in this scenario. Wine + proprietary drivers is a war all by itself. Ubuntu Studio has some very strange audio configs that cause other problems. In Linux Audio Pulse + Jack is an oddity and with my hardware it causes other problems. However even with the open source drivers and Wine Reaper crashes immediately on launch so any help would be appreciated. I've really been dreading the notion with Cockos unwilling to port I may have to accept the ugly pile that is Ardour...le sigh.

As a preface I'm not new to Linux, in fact I only have one Windows machine out of 12, the one that runs Reaper. I've also tried tons of stuff from personal experience, to the outdated Cockos guides and the LinReaper script. Nothing results in a usable situation. The best results I've got was Reaper would launch. However I've never got any audio output and more often than not "touching" i.e. adding a track or VSTi will crash it.

I guess I should also note based on your details 14.04 that you're possibly running Wine 1.6 and 32bit WineASIO. 32bit is a deal breaker from plugins to usable memory it just won't work.

Last edited by nPHYN1T3; 08-18-2015 at 03:18 PM.
nPHYN1T3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:59 AM   #53
Nystagmus

Default maybe i can help

Quote:
Originally Posted by nPHYN1T3 View Post
@Nystagmus I'd love some help. I installed Ubuntu Studio last week, then switched to normal Xubuntu while fighting various problems. I don't really give a chit which distro I use so long as I can get Reaper up, but I can't. I've dragged my feet buying Reaper 5 for this very reason. Win 7 support is officially over and Win 10 is aimed at unifying the Win install base so software and hardware vendors alike may or may not continue to support their products on it. Win 10 is a nightmare for privacy and UI as they have removed the "classic" UI options thus I have to move to something else.

I've ping ponged between Ubuntu Studio and Xubuntu for some test installs on my work machine as there are tons of problems in this scenario. Wine + proprietary drivers is a war all by itself. Ubuntu Studio has some very strange audio configs that cause other problems. In Linux Audio Pulse + Jack is an oddity and with my hardware it causes other problems. However even with the open source drivers and Wine Reaper crashes immediately on launch so any help would be appreciated. I've really been dreading the notion with Cockos unwilling to port I may have to accept the ugly pile that is Ardour...le sigh.

As a preface I'm not new to Linux, in fact I only have one Windows machine out of 12, the one that runs Reaper. I've also tried tons of stuff from personal experience, to the outdated Cockos guides and the LinReaper script. Nothing results in a usable situation. The best results I've got was Reaper would launch. However I've never got any audio output and more often than not "touching" i.e. adding a track or VSTi will crash it.

I guess I should also note based on your details 14.04 that you're possibly running Wine 1.6 and 32bit WineASIO. 32bit is a deal breaker from plugins to usable memory it just won't work.
Hey man, so sorry stuff isn't working out with you.
I'm skeptical that I could help, but I'll try...

0) I recommend Ubuntu Studio over Xubuntu since Xubuntu might not have a low-latency kernel. It's for this reason that I don't use Lubuntu. Ubuntu Studio still uses XFCE so that's a plus.
1) did you set up wineconfig? don't select pulseaudio here use "system default"
2) did reaper ever launch long enough to edit it's preferences for your hardware/etc?
3)did you update wine to 1.7.44 ?
4)try running reaper without any VST plugins first; it could be crashing on a specific plugin that it's having trouble with. you could add them back in one at a time until you find the one that's crashing it.
5)dont launch/use JACK either. ALSA is already there.
6)what kind of audio interface are you using? did you have to install drivers for it?
Old 08-19-2015, 03:18 PM   #54
nPHYN1T3

Hey man,
thanks for your reply, here goes.
0) I use Lubuntu on all my other machines but since I run so many screens for work I find XFCE handles things nicer. However any Ubuntu install can be used for this, you just need to swap out the kernel, which I've done. 3.19 Low Latency/RT. That said it's a bit pointless thus far because there is a lot of stuff to fix/workout before I'd need to care about latency and performance.

1) I've actually tried tons of things but there is a pervasive problem with Ubuntu Studio and my audio interface that makes your tips unusable. More on this with some of your other questions below.

2) Reaper launched and stayed up long enough one time for me to disable the buffering and change the draw updating to lazy always. After I try to do something like add a track or load a vst/vsti it crashes and from there it will crash as soon as you launch. This prompted many .wine deletes to ensure a clean test environment and clean re-installs. This can get deeper as a topic though because loading a project it stays up but pressing play results in the play marker standing still and no audio. I've tried all sorts of combinations in Reaper in conjunction with Wine. Foobar2000 for example plays audio, but Reaper won't.

3) Always add the wine ppa right off and go to 1.77 so ya I am going to have to build WINE from source at some point to workout the long standing and still unresolved issue with nVidia and AMD/ATI proprietary drivers.

4) I've tried running my Win install as well as many clean installs of v4 and v5 (i.e. nothing else installed and a clean .wine directory), all die very fast.

5) Here we pick up on why Ubuntu Studio is a bad choice for me. Ubuntu Studio Alsa and Pulse can not output to my interface. Pulse sees all my inputs, no outputs. The ONLY way for me to get audio on Ubuntu Studio is via Jack which Pulse sees as a sink. Without both Pulse and Jack nothing works. I've not dug too deep into what Ubuntu Studio has done to hard route this bizarre array of systems. I just know a base X/LUbuntu with Pulse removed is a more functional base, just change your kernel.

6) Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 which should have full support as of kernel 3.19. Worked in previous kernels with enough fight but 3.19 everything is go. That said Pulse also used to work with it, as of Ubuntu 15.04 there seems to be an issue in Pulse that stops it from attaching to my outputs.

Last edited by nPHYN1T3; 08-19-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:12 AM   #55
Nystagmus

Hmmm, I'm still wondering about this.

When you said that the playback cursor just sits there, that reminded me of when that happened to me during my early days of using Reaper on Linux. I vaguely remember that it only happened when my Reaper audio/driver/buffer settings were wrong. I think maybe you accidentally disabled your soundcard buffer while trying to disable the software buffers of Reaper, but I'm not entirely sure.

The fact that you do get sound from Foobar2000 makes me think that you are having troubles from within Reaper.

What are the output settings you have within Foobar2000? Maybe this would be a clue as to what would work in Reaper.

Also, did you try running Reaper without any VSTplugins (clear the path in REAPER prefs and restart)? I suggest this because sometimes Reaper crashes on a plugin, but normally skips the one's it's crashed on in the past.

Other tips: Disable DirectX plugins and DirectX plugin scanning within Reaper. This probably isn't it, but they can be tricky.

Can you maybe post up screenshot of what your Reaper audio device and buffer settings are?

I will keep trying to help. In the meantime maybe ask at http://ubuntuforums.com
Old 08-23-2015, 02:28 PM   #56
nPHYN1T3

@Nystagmus

The only buffers I changed where the one Cocoks says to i.e. the native buffering but I also tried leaving that and the draw lazy alone.

Foobar's outputs are just set to primary sound output. Foobar I just copied from my windows drive and it runs. In Reaper over the many tries I have also tried all output types. Kernel Steaming, Wave out, WASAPI, etc. They all do the same thing...nothing heh.

As I outlined I tried clean installs and migrated i.e. installs with no VST/VSTi other than the ones that come with Reaper and the install I use daily with a shit ton. Are you suggesting even removing the Cockos vst/vsti before launch?

I hadn't tried disabling DX scanning because I don't use DX plugins. I can try this to see if the DX scan fails because there is no DX.

I can try to post screens in a few. I've posted on the Ubuntu forms for Ubuntu studio and the mods removed my post. The catch to that was my post wasn't about the Reaper problems there but how horrible the audio is in Ubuntu Studio I noted earlier. Linux audio has always been a bit of a scattered mess but the notion that you still have so many cooks in the kitchen to get basic audio on Ubuntu Studio is a step backwards from a normal Ubuntu distro. Then you have the team working on that terrible meta installer but not a unified GUI for audio devices. This leaves you guessing which program may or may not be the issue and can leave you in a rabbit hole of combinations trying to trouble shoot things. This bad situation is compounded as most the docs are for 12.04.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #57
nPHYN1T3

@Nystagmus

Just got my normal Xubuntu install back together. Reaper seems to run better and I get sound output without changing any settings. However as I typed this it crashed sitting idle. Clean install of WINE 1.7, Reaper 4.78, one track with a single midi item and ReaSynth loaded.

Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000018 in 64-bit code (0x000000014001192b).
System information:
Wine build: wine-1.7.44
Platform: x86_64
Host system: Linux
Host version: 3.19.0-26-lowlatency

One thing I've noticed is when I do a clean install I don't always get the license nag. I almost wonder if that pop up is a potential reason why it crashes immediately. I'll add my license and see if anything changes on this clean install.

--Added my license, still crashes during the splash screen. Seems Reaper is fine until user prefs are added, after that it just becomes a crash fest. If you delete your user prefs and relaunch I can choose my audio settings etc and make a little midi thing and play it. Then if it sits idle it will crash and crash immediately on load until you delete your prefs again.

Last edited by nPHYN1T3; 08-23-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:38 PM   #58
Nystagmus

Default when it rains it pours

Quote:
@Nystagmus

Just got my normal Xubuntu install back together. Reaper seems to run better and I get sound output without changing any settings. However as I typed this it crashed sitting idle. Clean install of WINE 1.7, Reaper 4.78, one track with a single midi item and ReaSynth loaded.

Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000018 in 64-bit code (0x000000014001192b).
System information:

One thing I've noticed is when I do a clean install I don't always get the license nag. I almost wonder if that pop up is a potential reason why it crashes immediately. I'll add my license and see if anything changes on this clean install.

--Added my license, still crashes during the splash screen. Seems Reaper is fine until user prefs are added, after that it just becomes a crash fest. If you delete your user prefs and relaunch I can choose my audio settings etc and make a little midi thing and play it. Then if it sits idle it will crash and crash immediately on load until you delete your prefs again.
Wow you are having a rough time with that.
I think page faults are often a sign of a corrupt RAM chip. You may want to test your RAM chips for validity with memtest or whatnot. Or maybe your system is overheating. I'm really not sure.

I have to admit I really don't know what's wrong with this but it seems like something is corrupt and pagefaults imply RAM issues (but not always).

My guess is if it's RAM, then you'll get ramdom crashes in other programs that use a lot of RAM, such as Firefox web browser.

I wish I could help, but I don't think I can.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:22 AM   #59
nPHYN1T3

My machine is solid much less my RAM. More so if it was RAM I'd have system wide problems, I only have one problem, Reaper in WINE. That said booting to Windows Reaper has run solid for years. I just finished an album on it, but using Reaper in Linux is worthless. Obviously there are guys who have been doing it successfully for years but I've found great inconsistencies. One machine will run it fine, the next is nothing you could trust to reliably capture a session.

With Win 7 being dead as of Jan 2015 the only other option I'll keep running Win 7 and never allow it online after the extended support ends. Dual booting is a real shit situation when inspiration strikes. It's that or I'll have to put up with Ardour and leave Reaper as a fond memory until Cockos realizes what Steam did years ago; Windows 8+ and the Windows as a service philosophy Microsoft is moving to is a nightmare never mind the shit touch focused UI.

Last edited by nPHYN1T3; 08-24-2015 at 02:22 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:56 AM   #60
kenz

Quote:
@Nystagmus

System information:

Try 4.75, there is supposedly an unfixed bug/regression after 4.76 that causes reaper to crash in WINE.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=158190

For me it is rock solid.

Since you do get the crash, you should post the details / backtrace and exact version you are using in that thread I linked, hopefully it helps Justin nail it.

Try 4.75 first and see if it works properly.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:21 AM   #61
nPHYN1T3

I'll give that a go tomorrow. I tried to post my trace here earlier and it complained my message was too long. I see on the other thread they are posting in sections, I'll have to try that or maybe pastebin it. I'm kind of torn about how to proceed with this. On one hand I'm tired of fighting this stuff, but on the other Ardour is really terrible heh. I hope dropping back a few versions helps though I also hope that this doesn't lead to losing a few bug fixes that will affect me either. However Reaper 5 was just as crashtastic too.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:28 AM   #62
kenz

I understand it can be very frustrating to file bug reports like this, because you already get frustrated enough that it crashes in the first place (in general, I know the feeling), but for what it's worth, at least you'll help Justin to track down this bug. If that matters or not to you is up to you.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #63
nPHYN1T3

My frustration isn't explicitly from Reaper. I've been doing systems a long time and over the years I got sick of doing things by hand (writing configs or compiling shit for days) or spending weeks trouble shooting one thing. It's one of the reasons why I moved from BSD to Linux (Ubuntu).

I'm glad to see so many projects and software vendors focusing on Linux. 15 years ago that seemed like something that wouldn't even happen in my life time. However Microsoft is really screwing the pooch with the Win 8-10 UI and massive privacy issues. I can only hope Cockos realizes a Linux port will finally make sense in time.

I'll give the 4.75 build but if it yields the same poor behavior I may be packing it in with Reaper. That is unless one day I get curious or think I may have found a trick.

*UPDATE: Rebooted to Linux, grabbed 4.75 crashed immediately on first run. Just to be *sure* before giving up I grabbed v5 again, installed immediate crash. Grabbed 4.78 (32bit) seems to run solid.

Last edited by nPHYN1T3; 08-24-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:28 AM   #64
Nystagmus

Did you try v5 of Reaper?

I haven't had reaper crashes on Wine since the version inside of Puppy Studio (which is a fairly old version). Puppy Studio is an old Puppy Linux distro.

I can't figure out why it would crash while idle.
Check your wine configuration settings. Maybe you have it set for the wrong operating system mode or something.

EDIT: I just saw the bug report. I think the difference is that you're using the 64-bit version. I stick with the 32-bit versions and thus didn't get the bugs if that's where they are.

I'd suggest using 32-bit v5 of Reaper until the next update gets the bug fixed. That way you can at least get some tunes done. Are you using humongous sample banks or something like that?
Old 08-25-2015, 12:58 AM   #65
nPHYN1T3

While I appreciate the attempts at help a lot of the questions I'm being asked are starting to recycle to things I've already answered and stated.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:07 AM   #66
kenz

The latest pre which fixed the WaveOut bug (the bug fixed in the thread I linked you earlier) has for me made v5 very stable. I tested both 32-bit and 64-bit quite thoroughly today on linux.

You can go to Pre-Release section of the forum to download it (can't link due to rules), or just wait for the official release of next patch.

No idea why it would crash on you otherwise. Do you use a clean wineprefix? (more info is on wine wiki... but you can just remove the entire drive_c directory and recopy reaper, the fastest way)
Old 08-25-2015, 08:18 AM   #67
Nystagmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz View Post
Try 4.75, there is supposedly an unfixed bug/regression after 4.76 that causes reaper to crash in WINE.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=158190

For me it is rock solid.

Since you do get the crash, you should post the details / backtrace and exact version you are using in that thread I linked, hopefully it helps Justin nail it.

Try 4.75 first and see if it works properly.

@nPHYN:

I am bailing out since the previously documentd bug that kenz pointed out is probably the cause.
I looked at that thread and it makes sense and at least Justin is involved with that. Sorry if you felt too many questions were being asked, but that's just part of the process of ruling out different various causes. Each item we asked about really could've been a different variable involved.

@kenz:

Good work finding that.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:36 PM   #68
nPHYN1T3

I didn't say too many questions where being asked, I said questions I've already answered are being reasked. You asked if I tried v5 and right above your question I had just said I tried 4.75, 4.78, and 5 32 bit and 64 bit. Same goes to Kenz asking if I used a clean WINE prefix as I've said in a few posts that I'd wiped my wine prefix several times to ensure a clean environment. I'm just answering the same stuff over and over.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #69
SmoothBro

Not to cause more frustration to the mix, but maybe try AVLinux. Use the live DVD so you don't lose what you have. Wine and wineasio are already installed. Its 32bit but its just to see if it works proper. Once you have it running, just run the wineasio in the menu to register it and install Reaper. If it doesn't work, it may something in your hardware thats not working with wine. If it does work, then some configuration issue in Ubuntu.
You may even install wine from kxstudio rather than build it. May be something left out.
Just my 2cents
SmoothBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:54 PM   #70
nPHYN1T3

@SmoothBro sorry dude but no need as 32bit Reaper seems to run fine. I tested and stated that a few messages back. Trying another distro for something I already could run is just a time sink. 32bit isn't an option for me, especially if it's the whole distro. I mean how would you feel if you had 64gigs of RAM but you were forced to limit everything you did to the confines of 3gigs? Not to mention the nightmare of trying to replace all the plugins on older projects and current works in progress.

Last edited by nPHYN1T3; 08-25-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:45 PM   #71
kenz

I am confused. You most definitely do not need a 32-bit OS to run 32-bit REAPER in wine.

You realize we are just guessing what your problem is or where it comes from. It's not like we're blind of the issues, it runs fine on ours. Both 32-bit and 64-bit Reaper v5 work fine over here with latest pre.

Did you try wine-staging? It might have more up-to-date package for your distribution and/or perhaps fix whatever is causing your crashes (it's more like the beta version of wine, so to speak).

Install it with (it installs alongside wine, so you can use both):
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pipelight/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends wine-staging
Run Reaper with:
Code:
/opt/wine-staging/bin/wine /path/to/Reaper.exe
Just don't forget to use /opt/wine-staging/bin/wine to use wine-staging instead of just 'wine'. (same goes for other tools like winecfg -> /opt/wine-staging/bin/winecfg).

Needless to say use a fresh prefix, or a different prefix before using wine-staging. Preferably a different prefix, like this script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
export WINEPREFIX=~/wine-staging
/opt/wine-staging/bin/wine /path/to/Reaper.exe
or one-liner command/launcher:
Code:
WINEPREFIX=~/wine-staging /opt/wine-staging/bin/wine /path/to/Reaper.exe
Runs Reaper in a wine-staging Prefix directory under your home.

If it still crashes I highly suspect it is definitely not wine at fault, but some config problem on your system or something like that. Visual glitches etc are one thing, but crashes definitely seem weird.

By the way first use winecfg to create the Prefix, and set it up (try Windows XP mode first), and then run Reaper. Don't run Reaper directly on a new prefix.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:04 PM   #72
SmoothBro

No problem. I must have missed that. Thought you could not run a Reaper at all. Good luck.
SmoothBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:01 PM   #73
nPHYN1T3

@SmoothBro np, just seems with forums there comes a point where everyone skims and then you rehash the same stuff over and over.

@kenz I never said I needed a 32bit OS for Reaper, but there was a LIVE CD (32bit AVLinux by SmoothBro) that was suggested which means if it worked I'd be stuck in 32bit i.e. 3gigs of memory OS wide.

Yes we're all guessing but when the same suggestions are repeated or things get muttled we get no where. Mind you I kinda don't expect to get anywhere at this point, I was simply hoping. The only things I haven't tried are wine-staging, rolling back to wine 1.6, building wine from source.

Last edited by nPHYN1T3; 08-25-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:01 AM   #74
kenz

Did you have any luck with 5.01 and latest wine-staging? (both are important, especially 5.01 since it fixes the WaveOut bug)

FWIW been running smooth for 3 days or so now (and v5 is much smoother than v4)
Old 08-28-2015, 08:10 AM   #75
nPHYN1T3

No, I don't have a lot of time to reboot to the test install this week. I'm also slightly on the fence about testing anything with v5. There is a high degree of fragility in all this and I'm very unsure about buying a new license and not being able to use it. I'll try to play around this weekend.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:14 AM   #76
kenz

You don't have to buy a new license, the trial is for 60 days, feel free to test during it. (it works even after 60 days, in your situation, using it for a few minutes I think it's fair to not count as "using"; I don't know if the time ticks when you don't use it, probably not).
Old 08-28-2015, 04:11 PM   #77
nPHYN1T3

I know I can use 5 without a license, there are other issues that leave me hesitant about it for now.

*UPDATE: Installed Wine staging, tested 5 by accident, clicked on the wrong installer, crashed. Tried 4, crashed. Wine staging makes no difference.

I love Reaper but I think it's time to move on. Until Cockos supports user choice rather than pushes us into Microsofts growing "Apple like" direction I guess it's time to get friendly with Ardour.

Thanks for your time guys.

Last edited by nPHYN1T3; 08-28-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:10 PM   #78
Nystagmus

Default OneSmallClue Poise and Linux

OK, so anybody running the VSTi drum sampler Poise might have noticed a regression with the Linux / Reaper combo. Luckily there is a workaround:

Problem: drag and drop fails to work within Poise so you can't load any samples even though you can audition them

Workaround: go into Poise's preferences and enable hotkeys and restart Reaper. Now you can press ENTER / RETURN to load the selected sound to the selected pad.

You might notice some conflicts with Reaper's hotkeys so you should open Reaper's Action List and find the command corresponding to ENTER or RETURN. It is probably under transport, and has various other keys also assigned to it. The Action list in in a menu at the upper middle right of the menubar.

Remove the RETURN hotkey by selecting just that command and pressing "remove". You can also assign a different key to it instead if you like.

Now you can close the Action editor. Sorry that I didn't explain this very well.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:35 PM   #79
Nystagmus

Default DAW tweaks for Wine

If in Reaper you have assigned any paths to "Windows\Temp" or similar, you can instead re-route those to \tmp instead so that Linux will empty the tempporary folder on next boot. Here's how:

Quote:
If anybody is using Windows programs in Wine there are some freeware tools which will help you to manage the settings in Windows that you couldn't otherwise get to:

Rapid Environment Editor: This lets you edit system variable such as the TMP folder path. Use this to change temporary folder path from C:\Windows\Temp to Linux's \tmp ...also do the same thing for the user temp folder. That way the temp files will be delete on reboot instead of accumulating unchecked.
http://www.rapidee.com/en/about

Various tools here: (CleanAfterMe, USBdeView, MyUnInst, File Types Manager)
http://nirsoft.net/

Starter by CodePage: (disable or change various Windows services or drivers or triggers)
http://codestuff.obninsk.ru/products_starter.html

AutoRuns: (disable or change various Windows services or drivers or triggers or codecs)
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...rnals/bb963902

There you go. Those will help you to configure your Wine Windows stuff as you would on a true Windows system.
Just be sure that you don't disable anything essentially needed for Windows or Wine.
The other programs listed can possibly help with tweaking the "Windows" DAW settings as you would do if you were running a true Windows machine.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:54 PM   #80
grantimatter

Hi! I'd like to first say thanks to Nystagmus and the rest of you for offering so much wisdom here. I was really happy to get LinReaper working for me... until it stopped working. Which is why I'm posting here now!

I'm running Reaper 5 on an older laptop (32-bit) in Lubuntu 12.04. Until a couple of weeks ago, it was working fine, aside from the occasional crash. Then, I installed something (I'm not sure exactly what - there was a cluster of things together I was trying out, none of which were audio-related) and suddenly my computer wouldn't recognize any audio inputs through the mic-in jack.

So, I started poking here and there and everywhere, uninstalled, reinstalled, gave myself a crash course in Alsa mixers and got to an interesting point.

I now have audio coming in through the mic jack again (yay!) but that signal includes *all* audio crossing the soundcard (boo!). In other words, if I'm in Reaper and I arm a track for recording, I record my mic and analog pre-amp... but also all the other MIDI tracks I'm hearing in my headphones.

It's got me baffled.

I'm still a little new to Lubuntu and Linux, so might need some super-simple instructions for, like, providing readouts on soundcard configurations and whatever else.

The *main* thing I'd like to be able to do is to get the whole audio signal off the mic in, so the mic in is isolated again.

Along the way, I'm sure there's all kinds of crazy configurations that should *theoretically* be fixed - kxstudio doesn't want to install all its repos, probably because of the age of this computer, and JACK doesn't seem to be starting at all. Yet Reaper works fine with MIDI and VSTis.

Please, folks -- can you point me toward the light?
grantimatter is offline   Reply With Quote