Human being with feelings

drag and drop
Old 03-21-2017, 11:14 AM   #162
REAmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
drag and drop
Fucking nice! Man, that's going to be useful. Thank you, and nevermind for my last comment.
REAmix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:21 AM   #163
ashcat_lt

Man, that was kind of tough! And not just because I had to listen to that chick sing that song 16 times.

I really tried to put aside any ideas of "that's not how I would have done it" and just listen to the pieces as presented. There were several that were really close, and almost just splitting hairs to pick between them. There were several that were really bad. I really don't want to be mean. I know we're all at different stages and it's at least as much about learning and just having fun than anything else, but there were a number of them that I didn't bother listening through because they were obviously way out whack to begin with. I think even the best of them could have been better at what they are and none of them really went the direction I thought would work best. Easy to say when I didn't submit anything, I know. Overall, it really was interesting to kind of see different people's interpretations of this thing, the subtle and not-so-subtle differences.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #164
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
Yes I think I know which one is orange based on my votes. xD
Old 03-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #165
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
I think even the best of them could have been better at what they are and none of them really went the direction I thought would work best. Easy to say when I didn't submit anything, I know.
Yeah, heh heh, I don't think anybody knows how they would do it until they've done it, especially having not heard any of the other submissions yet. After I've heard all the submissions, there's always something I wish I'd done a little differently.
Tod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #166
msundh

For me there were three that distinguished from the others.
Two that was better than the rest and mine that was worse than the rest
Old 03-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #167
RDBOIS

Quote:
Man, that was kind of tough! And not just because I had to listen to that chick sing that song 16 times.

Imagine the number of times if you'd mixed the song? lol

Quote:
...almost just splitting hairs to pick between them.

Agreed.

Quote:
... not-so-subtle differences.
That would be me. Sorry about inflicting that on the group. Was kind of the only way I could enjoy mixing this song :s
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:47 PM   #168
cnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Yeah, heh heh, I don't think anybody knows how they would do it until they've done it, especially having not heard any of the other submissions yet. After I've heard all the submissions, there's always something I wish I'd done a little differently.
Aint that the truth! I wish I'd spent more time trying to bring the drums out... Admittedly, I "went with" the assumption that if they were more important to the vision of the song, they'd have been miked better... But now that I hear a few of your mixes, I realize I maybe should have given them more attention.

It's interesting to see the pie chart. Wow, whoever is in first, it clearly isn't very close!
cnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:08 AM   #169
DaveKeehl

Interesting...

DaveKeehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM   #170
REAmix

Quote:
Interesting...

I guess we don't all have the same taste lol. It's pretty close for first it looks like. I think just one point difference.

What's interesting about the results, is that it doesn't look like there are 4 or 5 top choices which take turns in their top 3 depending on preference, there are 9 of them, and 11 votes.

Normally, you'd expect the usual suspects in the top 3, but it isn't really that way.
Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM   #171
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAmix View Post
I guess we don't all have the same taste lol. It's pretty close for first it looks like. I think just one point difference.

What's interesting about the results, is that it doesn't look like there are 4 or 5 top choices which take turns in their top 3 depending on preference, there are 9 of them, and 11 votes.

Normally, you'd expect the usual suspects in the top 3, but it isn't really that way.
I think the fact that mostly only contestants are voting runs the risk of widely varying results. Not because they aren't honestly trying to vote accurately but because they/we are already so close to the tracks/mix/song.

Since I didn't mix or even hear these tracks, I'll try to vote before the voting ends.
Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM   #172
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I think the fact that mostly only contestants are voting runs the risk of widely varying results. Not because they aren't honestly trying to vote accurately but because they/we are already so close to the tracks/mix/song.
Also there is a huge disparity between listening environments. I think the only way to make it work right is to have everybody listen in the same good room, using the same monitors.
Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM   #173
thunderbroom

Quote:
Also there is a huge disparity between listening environments. I think the only way to make it work right is to have everybody listen in the same good room, using the same monitors.
And that's practical (*snicker*). Seriously, though, I don't think we should be losing sleep over this. A good mix should, in theory, sound good almost anywhere. That said, "good" is relative. Based on the differences in even just these mixes, everyone submitting has their own perception of good, as I'm sure the artists did when they had their track originally mixed.

I'm more looking forward to the after-contest feedback, as I find that the most useful and helpful overall. Good luck all!
thunderbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM   #174
karbomusic

Quote:
I think it would even out more if there were enough people voting (and more who aren't familiar with the mix) because a better mix should sound better in general.

I see where you are going (such as two mixes that are very close) but I think our being too close to the mixes is a bigger hindrance than say 50 end-users listening to pick what they like better. Could be wrong but still think more voters might give a smoother curve for lack of a better term.

Last edited by karbomusic; Yesterday at 01:45 PM.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM   #175
REAmix

Quote:
I think it would even out more if there were enough people voting (and more who aren't familiar with the mix) because a better mix should sound better in general.

I see where you are going (such as two mixes that are very close) but I think our being too close to the mixes is a bigger hindrance than say 50 end-users listening to pick what they like better. Could be wrong but still think more voters might give a smoother curve for lack of a better term.
I think you might be right here. I mean, we can take reverb as an example. Say we all had the same mix, and all we did was control the volume of one reverb buss. We would each set it where we think is right. Then when we go to vote, we would think that everything more wet than we set is bad, and anything less is bad, and the closest to us, is good.

I think our personal setups do also make a difference though, because although a good mix should sound good everywhere, we are often mixing with a bias to our system, and what we think sounds good on our system, and that might not translate well.

But, to your point, if we had a huge number of voters, then it would average out to what people think sound good on their systems, which should find the best overall mixes on an average setup.

So, I think it's a bit of both.
Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM   #176
karbomusic

Quote:
We would each set it where we think is right. Then when we go to vote, we would think that everything more wet than we set is bad, and anything less is bad, and the closest to us, is good.
That's an excellent way of putting it, I wish I had worded it that way. That's why I wish lots of users who come here (by default being a little more pro than random people) might help too because they would be far enough away to not be biased but experienced enough to notice poor decisions that might get past that random non-engineer. Or it could all be a wash, just thinking out loud here.
Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM   #177
DaveKeehl

Hehehe we should meet and discuss audio in front of a nice beer
DaveKeehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM   #178
karbomusic

Quote:
Hehehe we should meet and discuss audio in front of a nice beer
Best advice ever.
Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM   #179
Tod

Quote:
Best advice ever.
Heh heh, how about mooses saloon.

Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM   #180
karbomusic

Quote:
Heh heh, how about mooses saloon.

Man that is so 70s ish.
Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM   #181
Tod

Quote:
Man that is so 70s ish.
Yah, and wow, you got it, it was one of my best bands back in the 70s.

EDIT: I should say it was a great band and by far the most successful.
Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM   #182
karbomusic

Quote:
Yah, and wow, you got it, it was one of my best bands back in the 70s.

EDIT: I should say it was a great band and by far the most successful.
So that's you on the left? I'm guessing it is. I'm 53 and wasn't even playing yet by then but I was already long-hooked on music hence my 70s influences etc.
Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM   #183
Tod

Quote:
So that's you on the left? I'm guessing it is. I'm 53 and wasn't even playing yet by then but I was already long-hooked on music hence my 70s influences etc.
Yeah, it is. I played music most of my life starting in the early 60s. I think of those days as the good old days, but I guess that just shows my age.

Mooses Saloon is a great old place, actually pretty well known in the western part of the US. It's got sawdust and peanuts on the floor, and only serves beer and pizza.

We recorded a song for it back in the early 70s and I think it's still on the jute box. Hence the drawing.

Heh heh, just think if we could all meet at Mooses Saloon in Cowsbell, Montana. Be sure and wear your cowboy boots.
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM   #184
karbomusic

Quote:
Yeah, it is. I played music most of my life starting in the early 60s. I think of those days as the good old days, but I guess that just shows my age.
Hehe, same here just add 20 years to the decades. I grew up on late 60s and all of the 70's music though. The acoustic duo I played in up until two years ago played mostly 70's tunes. On a side note I'm also a big fan of most of the midwestern bands that were really hitting it in the mid-70s.