Old 03-21-2017, 10:51 AM   #161
msundh
Human being with feelings
 
msundh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,001
Default

drag and drop
__________________
Win10 64bit, Core i7 16GB, Focurite 18i8, Schecter Telecaster, Yamaha AC3R
https://soundcloud.com/mikaelsundh
msundh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:14 AM   #162
REAmix
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
drag and drop
Fucking nice! Man, that's going to be useful. Thank you, and nevermind for my last comment.
REAmix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:21 AM   #163
ashcat_lt
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,852
Default

Man, that was kind of tough! And not just because I had to listen to that chick sing that song 16 times.

I really tried to put aside any ideas of "that's not how I would have done it" and just listen to the pieces as presented. There were several that were really close, and almost just splitting hairs to pick between them. There were several that were really bad. I really don't want to be mean. I know we're all at different stages and it's at least as much about learning and just having fun than anything else, but there were a number of them that I didn't bother listening through because they were obviously way out whack to begin with. I think even the best of them could have been better at what they are and none of them really went the direction I thought would work best. Easy to say when I didn't submit anything, I know. Overall, it really was interesting to kind of see different people's interpretations of this thing, the subtle and not-so-subtle differences.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #164
Fergler
Human being with feelings
 
Fergler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
Yes I think I know which one is orange based on my votes. xD
__________________
Check out my hip-hop, funk-rock band Theatre Crisp
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #165
Tod
Human being with feelings
 
Tod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,984
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
I think even the best of them could have been better at what they are and none of them really went the direction I thought would work best. Easy to say when I didn't submit anything, I know.
Yeah, heh heh, I don't think anybody knows how they would do it until they've done it, especially having not heard any of the other submissions yet. After I've heard all the submissions, there's always something I wish I'd done a little differently.
Tod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #166
msundh
Human being with feelings
 
msundh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,001
Default

For me there were three that distinguished from the others.
Two that was better than the rest and mine that was worse than the rest
__________________
Win10 64bit, Core i7 16GB, Focurite 18i8, Schecter Telecaster, Yamaha AC3R
https://soundcloud.com/mikaelsundh
msundh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #167
RDBOIS
Human being with feelings
 
RDBOIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: It changes
Posts: 241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Man, that was kind of tough! And not just because I had to listen to that chick sing that song 16 times.

Imagine the number of times if you'd mixed the song? lol



Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
...almost just splitting hairs to pick between them.

Agreed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
... not-so-subtle differences.
That would be me. Sorry about inflicting that on the group. Was kind of the only way I could enjoy mixing this song :s
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:47 PM   #168
cnyk
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SYRACUSE, NEW YORK
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Yeah, heh heh, I don't think anybody knows how they would do it until they've done it, especially having not heard any of the other submissions yet. After I've heard all the submissions, there's always something I wish I'd done a little differently.
Aint that the truth! I wish I'd spent more time trying to bring the drums out... Admittedly, I "went with" the assumption that if they were more important to the vision of the song, they'd have been miked better... But now that I hear a few of your mixes, I realize I maybe should have given them more attention.

It's interesting to see the pie chart. Wow, whoever is in first, it clearly isn't very close!
cnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:08 AM   #169
DaveKeehl
Human being with feelings
 
DaveKeehl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 812
Default

Interesting...

__________________
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClI...NKp8d-lsUKRu2Q
REAPER Contest - December 2016: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=184414
REAPER Contest - November 2016: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183332
DaveKeehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM   #170
REAmix
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
Interesting...

I guess we don't all have the same taste lol. It's pretty close for first it looks like. I think just one point difference.

What's interesting about the results, is that it doesn't look like there are 4 or 5 top choices which take turns in their top 3 depending on preference, there are 9 of them, and 11 votes.

Normally, you'd expect the usual suspects in the top 3, but it isn't really that way.
REAmix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM   #171
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 17,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAmix View Post
I guess we don't all have the same taste lol. It's pretty close for first it looks like. I think just one point difference.

What's interesting about the results, is that it doesn't look like there are 4 or 5 top choices which take turns in their top 3 depending on preference, there are 9 of them, and 11 votes.

Normally, you'd expect the usual suspects in the top 3, but it isn't really that way.
I think the fact that mostly only contestants are voting runs the risk of widely varying results. Not because they aren't honestly trying to vote accurately but because they/we are already so close to the tracks/mix/song.

Since I didn't mix or even hear these tracks, I'll try to vote before the voting ends.
__________________
Music has great power when people get to experience it without 'allowing' technology to screw things up.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM   #172
Tod
Human being with feelings
 
Tod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,984
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I think the fact that mostly only contestants are voting runs the risk of widely varying results. Not because they aren't honestly trying to vote accurately but because they/we are already so close to the tracks/mix/song.
Also there is a huge disparity between listening environments. I think the only way to make it work right is to have everybody listen in the same good room, using the same monitors.
Tod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM   #173
thunderbroom
Human being with feelings
 
thunderbroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Also there is a huge disparity between listening environments. I think the only way to make it work right is to have everybody listen in the same good room, using the same monitors.
And that's practical (*snicker*). Seriously, though, I don't think we should be losing sleep over this. A good mix should, in theory, sound good almost anywhere. That said, "good" is relative. Based on the differences in even just these mixes, everyone submitting has their own perception of good, as I'm sure the artists did when they had their track originally mixed.

I'm more looking forward to the after-contest feedback, as I find that the most useful and helpful overall. Good luck all!
__________________
Cheers,
thunderbroom
http://www.machineroomstudio.com
thunderbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM   #174
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 17,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Also there is a huge disparity between listening environments. I think the only way to make it work right is to have everybody listen in the same good room, using the same monitors.
I think it would even out more if there were enough people voting (and more who aren't familiar with the mix) because a better mix should sound better in general.

I see where you are going (such as two mixes that are very close) but I think our being too close to the mixes is a bigger hindrance than say 50 end-users listening to pick what they like better. Could be wrong but still think more voters might give a smoother curve for lack of a better term.
__________________
Music has great power when people get to experience it without 'allowing' technology to screw things up.

Last edited by karbomusic; Yesterday at 01:45 PM.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM   #175
REAmix
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I think it would even out more if there were enough people voting (and more who aren't familiar with the mix) because a better mix should sound better in general.

I see where you are going (such as two mixes that are very close) but I think our being too close to the mixes is a bigger hindrance than say 50 end-users listening to pick what they like better. Could be wrong but still think more voters might give a smoother curve for lack of a better term.
I think you might be right here. I mean, we can take reverb as an example. Say we all had the same mix, and all we did was control the volume of one reverb buss. We would each set it where we think is right. Then when we go to vote, we would think that everything more wet than we set is bad, and anything less is bad, and the closest to us, is good.

I think our personal setups do also make a difference though, because although a good mix should sound good everywhere, we are often mixing with a bias to our system, and what we think sounds good on our system, and that might not translate well.

But, to your point, if we had a huge number of voters, then it would average out to what people think sound good on their systems, which should find the best overall mixes on an average setup.

So, I think it's a bit of both.
REAmix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM   #176
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 17,471
Default

Quote:
We would each set it where we think is right. Then when we go to vote, we would think that everything more wet than we set is bad, and anything less is bad, and the closest to us, is good.
That's an excellent way of putting it, I wish I had worded it that way. That's why I wish lots of users who come here (by default being a little more pro than random people) might help too because they would be far enough away to not be biased but experienced enough to notice poor decisions that might get past that random non-engineer. Or it could all be a wash, just thinking out loud here.
__________________
Music has great power when people get to experience it without 'allowing' technology to screw things up.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM   #177
DaveKeehl
Human being with feelings
 
DaveKeehl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 812
Default

Hehehe we should meet and discuss audio in front of a nice beer
__________________
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClI...NKp8d-lsUKRu2Q
REAPER Contest - December 2016: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=184414
REAPER Contest - November 2016: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183332
DaveKeehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM   #178
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 17,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
Hehehe we should meet and discuss audio in front of a nice beer
Best advice ever.
__________________
Music has great power when people get to experience it without 'allowing' technology to screw things up.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM   #179
Tod
Human being with feelings
 
Tod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,984
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Best advice ever.
Heh heh, how about mooses saloon.

Tod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM   #180
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 17,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Heh heh, how about mooses saloon.

Man that is so 70s ish.
__________________
Music has great power when people get to experience it without 'allowing' technology to screw things up.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM   #181
Tod
Human being with feelings
 
Tod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,984
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Man that is so 70s ish.
Yah, and wow, you got it, it was one of my best bands back in the 70s.

EDIT: I should say it was a great band and by far the most successful.
Tod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM   #182
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 17,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Yah, and wow, you got it, it was one of my best bands back in the 70s.

EDIT: I should say it was a great band and by far the most successful.
So that's you on the left? I'm guessing it is. I'm 53 and wasn't even playing yet by then but I was already long-hooked on music hence my 70s influences etc.
__________________
Music has great power when people get to experience it without 'allowing' technology to screw things up.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM   #183
Tod
Human being with feelings
 
Tod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,984
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
So that's you on the left? I'm guessing it is. I'm 53 and wasn't even playing yet by then but I was already long-hooked on music hence my 70s influences etc.
Yeah, it is. I played music most of my life starting in the early 60s. I think of those days as the good old days, but I guess that just shows my age.

Mooses Saloon is a great old place, actually pretty well known in the western part of the US. It's got sawdust and peanuts on the floor, and only serves beer and pizza.

We recorded a song for it back in the early 70s and I think it's still on the jute box. Hence the drawing.

Heh heh, just think if we could all meet at Mooses Saloon in Cowsbell, Montana. Be sure and wear your cowboy boots.
Tod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM   #184
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 17,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Yeah, it is. I played music most of my life starting in the early 60s. I think of those days as the good old days, but I guess that just shows my age.
Hehe, same here just add 20 years to the decades. I grew up on late 60s and all of the 70's music though. The acoustic duo I played in up until two years ago played mostly 70's tunes. On a side note I'm also a big fan of most of the midwestern bands that were really hitting it in the mid-70s.
__________________
Music has great power when people get to experience it without 'allowing' technology to screw things up.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.