Old 05-22-2017, 01:55 PM   #1
uncleswede
Human being with feelings

Default WTImperial - MIDI metering

Hi. Just upgraded studio to two large monitors so enjoying WT imperial.

The only thing that seems to be missing for me is MIDI metering. I work with MIDI files regularly and it's useful to see MIDI activity on the meters (MCP particularly) during playback.

Am I missing a config option or is MIDI metering not possible with this theme?
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:46 PM   #2
4x4uk

the meter colour is set to black in the theme. Simply edit the theme colour to something else in theme editor and the meters will appear
4x4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:29 AM   #3
uncleswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4uk View Post
the meter colour is set to black in the theme. Simply edit the theme colour to something else in theme editor and the meters will appear
Hi. I checked this out and there's a theme editor entry for MIDI meter activity. Changing this gives a small (few pixels square) activity indicator for all MIDI activity, which is useful.

I was hoping for proper MIDI metering (i.e. tracking MIDI note velocity) as in, say, the Janne 2016 theme.

I've attached a Licecap GIF which shows a few seconds of MIDI metering as per the Janne theme, then a few seconds of the WT Imperial theme. You can see that both themes can show the small MIDI activity 'dot' but only the Janne theme shows the MIDI velocity activity.

I've looked through the tweakable theme items for the Janne theme for all entries in its MIDI metering colour (yellow) to try and identify the specific element so I can then change it in the WT Imperial theme but no joy.

I guess it must be hard-coded in the WT Imperial WDL code somewhere :-(
Attached Images
File Type: gif Janne midi meter.gif (30.6 KB, 290 views)
Old 05-31-2017, 05:30 AM   #4
ReaperMadness

At the risk if sounding like I'm volunteering somebody else's efforts, I will suggest that if anyone can do it, lucas_LCS can. He has made some excellent mods to WR's incredible theme, one of which has now become my primary theme. Perhaps he'll see this and at least opine whether what you want is do-able, or maybe tell you how to accomplish.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:27 AM   #5
Pet

Let me chime in instead

This depends on what meter size/width the themer has chosen.
To change it you have to edit the tcp.meter width/height in the rtconfig. If this is smaller than 15px, the MIDI VU is not shown during playback. But it is shown while recording OTOH.

If you want to edit the rtconfig, have a look at these values and compare the different rtconfigs. This should be the direction you should consider.

width for vertical meters
height for horizontal meters

Last edited by Pet; 05-31-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Pet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:52 PM   #6
4x4uk

Ill have to check my reaper set up when \I get home mine works perfectly with no alterations to meter size or adjustments to tcp or rtconfig.

I may have changed two items colour in theme editor

Ill Let you know
4x4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:16 AM   #7
uncleswede

Hi all. Thanks for your suggestions.

I found that if I switch to the Imperial LCS mod_2.91 and tweak the colour for "MIDI Meter activity" I can see MIDI note velocity activity in the MCP meters (but not in the the TCP meters). This is not the case with the original WT Imperial theme.

That's fine (I actually prefer the LCS mod - especially the indentation of folder tracks) so I'll stick with that.

Cheers