Old 01-11-2017, 08:36 PM   #1
dmoss74
Human being with feelings

Default i need ears on this mix

https://app.box.com/s/3ebez7lkt9243s4z3tuu17vumtxsolhr

for the life of me, i can't tell if this mix is underwater or not. it sounds fine through my studio monitors, but in the living room, there's mud galore. particularly in the left side rhythm guitar.

if anyone can confirm--or deny--my assessment, i'd appreciate it.

the track can be downloaded, if that helps.
dmoss74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:51 PM   #2
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoss74 View Post

if anyone can confirm--or deny--my assessment, i'd appreciate it.
From an AKG K-240 Studio headphone perspective, the guitar on the left does not sound too muddy. It is, however in the sound space, further in the back compared to guitar on the right.

Seems to me like the guitar on the right occupies the front, then the bass, then the snare drum lives with the guitar on the left, then the kick drum is behind.

Take this for what it's worth but it sound unbalanced - leaning to the right.

Perhaps if the kick drum was a little bit louder and/or the bass a bit further back?

The way the song is set up you would need something on the left to happen; a synth, a guitar riff, a flute, etc., to balance the song.

Hope this helps.

RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #3
Kenny Gioia

This is just my opinion. I put this on the track to make the overall EQ feel better.

It's a compromise and I wouldn't suggest doing this but using this as a reference do get the individual tracks to sound better.

I made two screenshots so you can see what I did on each band.

Good luck.

Kenny Gioia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:28 PM   #4
dmoss74

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
From an AKG K-240 Studio headphone perspective, the guitar on the left does not sound too muddy. It is, however in the sound space, further in the back compared to guitar on the right.

Seems to me like the guitar on the right occupies the front, then the bass, then the snare drum lives with the guitar on the left, then the kick drum is behind.

Take this for what it's worth but it sound unbalanced - leaning to the right.

Perhaps if the kick drum was a little bit louder and/or the bass a bit further back?

The way the song is set up you would need something on the left to happen; a synth, a guitar riff, a flute, etc., to balance the song.

Hope this helps.

that's funny. i have the same cans (for reference). the two rhythm guitars are panned equally, but the one on the right is more high mid-centric (as a guitar), and it's reverb is more pronounced. maybe i'll try panning the left rhythm track more left, and dropping the bass levels.

thanks for the suggestions.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:31 PM   #5
dmoss74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
This is just my opinion. I put this on the track to make the overall EQ feel better.

It's a compromise and I wouldn't suggest doing this but using this as a reference do get the individual tracks to sound better.

I made two screenshots so you can see what I did on each band.

Good luck.

thanks, kenny. i will try that out and see what i hear. and any mixing "help" is greatly appreciated, in general. this stuff can get daunting.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:00 PM   #6
dmoss74

thanks, guys. i took both your suggestions, and came up with this. it's not a total fix, but a start. i appreciate the input. back to the drawing board.

https://app.box.com/s/5eip3jfkbnp4cchjihw64ymnfwpplr6a

Last edited by dmoss74; 01-12-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:25 PM   #7
Fergler

Better already!

Bass is darting in and out for me. Not sure how much of that is performance. Some notes are sustaining well, others not.

But for example at 1:01 the Db and C are much weaker. Not so bad the repeat of it seconds later.

Bass could use some presence also.

But wait, another paragraph starting with B. The hi hat and crashes are really quiet.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:43 PM   #8
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
thanks, guys. i took both your suggestions, and came up with this. it's not a total fix, but a start. i appreciate the input. back to the drawing board.

https://app.box.com/s/6z6diuzxggeubelbgbzifnf1opmxuglw
Wow. Night and day. Great job.
Kenny Gioia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:58 PM   #9
mschnell

Great Guitar playing.

For me, the drums could have a little more room, as well musically as in the mix.

As most of the track obviously is supposed to be enhanced by a solo singer or instrument, I feel that the guitars should not loose any "mud"; maybe on the contrary, they could be moved a little bit backwards.

But of course the guitar solo at the end should be a lot more upfront.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:12 PM   #10
dmoss74

thanks again, guys. and yes, this is purely scratch, track wise, other than the rhythm guitars. the bass is a vst (trilian) and is definitely getting truncated in spots, via the master track eq settings. the drum track is addictive drums, but i will hopefully get a real player i know to do the actual track. i will have to go back and individually eq all the tracks, taking all these suggestions into account.

you guys are great.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:05 AM   #11
dmoss74

last post: i tried to just adjust each track as per the suggestions, while also changing up the beats on addictive drums. i tried to add some fills, too; but am getting tired.

thanks again, for all the great advice.

https://app.box.com/s/8r0qlxsdej1g586d1imstwxexairm57s

Last edited by dmoss74; 01-15-2017 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:39 AM   #12
bucca

Quote:
last post: i tried to just adjust each track as per the suggestions, while also changing up the beats on addictive drums. i tried to add some fills, too; but am getting tired.
thanks again, for all the great advice.
https://app.box.com/s/4wnfsi2csb77rq18qgjgbnqmqr87ye38
kinda steppenwolf - like it - well done dmoss
bucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:35 AM   #13
sammydix

Cool no frills, fancy stuff rock. Like that very much. I guess my only nit would be to get that real drummer. They sound good (and I also use AD) but they're rather "standard fair." I think a real drummer would breath in some more life.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote