Old 01-15-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
novabond
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI: From Velocity to Volume

Let me try to best explain my inquiry:

Let's say you have a sample-set for an instrument: e.g. a piano.
Then, let's say there are three velocity layers equally distributed between the standard velocity min-max of this sample-set: soft: 0-48; medium: 49-96; loud: 97-127.

OK. This means that if I were to play midi notes into this sample-set at velocity 40, and then at velocity 60, there would be a change not in amplitude only but in the particular timbre based on the samples involved. So far so good.

My question is, what if I want to increase the volume of the first sample-section (0-48) but exceed the loudness of what is found at velocity 48? Say I want the equivalent of loudness found on velocity 66, but I want to continue to use the first set of samples from 0-48 rather than utilizing the section between 49-96? My guess is that I can take the peak of the first velocity layer (velocity 48), then find the difference between that number and what velocity level I'd like to achieve for volume (66-48 = 18) and then take that number and apply it to MIDI CC7: Volume . Would this result in what I want? I.E. play the timbre of velocity 48 but make it increase in volume to be the equivalent of what the volume would be of velocity 66?

If it does, my question for the house finally is: is there a way, like a vsti MIDI plug-in or JS script that will allow the user to set a threshold, like 48, and then allow every additional number past it to be limited so velocity remains at 48 if it reaches this number but then takes the difference between the original velocity and this threshold number and apply it automatically to the CC7 Volume control?

I hope this is clear, and if I'm overlooking another post dealing with this topic please refer if you're aware of anything. Thank you for any responses.
P.S. I'm still on Reaper 4
novabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #2
Time Waster
Human being with feelings

The way I would approach this is to intercept the note on message and always send a velocity of 48 to the instrument, then send the original velocity value to CC7 (volume). The problem with this is that the maximum volume you will get out of the instrument (at CC7 = 127) will be equivalent to the volume you would normally get at a velocity of 48 with the instrument set to full volume. If you are OK with that, then it could work.