Old 10-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
tomtom185
Human being with feelings

Default Quick MIDI out question

I hooked up my MM6 to REAPER so that I could send MIDI to it and play its sounds.

Everything works fine, but I only get one preset. No matter what I change on my synth.

Does that all have to do with my Synth settings or am I doing something wrong when hooking up the MIDI?
tomtom185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom185 View Post
I hooked up my MM6 to REAPER so that I could send MIDI to it and play its sounds.

Everything works fine, but I only get one preset. No matter what I change on my synth.

Does that all have to do with my Synth settings or am I doing something wrong when hooking up the MIDI?
I don't know anything about the MM6, does it have internal sounds and is that what you're trying to play?

If so you have to have both the midi in & out hooked up as well as the MM6 audio outputs.

You'll have to send the midi from Reaper back to the MM6 via the midi hardware outputs in the I/O of the midi track.

I'm not sure what else to say at this point with out knowing more.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
DarkStar

WAG ("Wild-assed guess", as seen recently on KvR):

You'll need to send MIDI Program Change messages out to the MM6 to select the right preset.

You can do it with adding PC messages to your MIDI clip or by using ReaControlMIDI (right-click the Track Control Panel >> "MIDI track controls, select "Show MIDI track control panel").

Both methods can use a .reabank file, a text-format file listing the available banks and programs. Have a look at the factory-supplied General MIDI .reabank file and you should be able to put one together for the MM6.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
tomtom185

Thanks for the WAGs guys (Never heard that before, haha)

I know next to nothing about external MIDI and programming messages to send. But thanks for the ReaControlMIDI tip, I happened to find a mm6.reabank file on the stash through a Google search.

It's a bit confusing, but interesting going through and trying to find the samples.

So I assume each different synth organizes their sound banks a different way and that is what the MSB verse the LSB is? MSB finds the bank and LSB gets the patch?

Do you know if there's a quick way to figure out what my MSB's and LSB's correspond to? I might have to dust off my MM6 manual
Old 10-22-2013, 01:31 AM   #5
DarkStar

Yep, dust off the MM6 manual. Page 84 onwards.

Yes, each synth can organise its presets into bank however it wants.

The bank is selected by the combination of MSB and LSB. And a bank can contain up to 128 presets (or patches). Within the bank, the preset is determined by the program change data number.

So, to select a specific preset, 3 MIDI messages must be sent to the synth:
(a) Bank Select MSB and LSB - to select the desired bank,
(b) Program Change message - to select the preset within the Bank

If you want another preset in the same bank, then only the Program Change message needs to be sent, but Reaper always sends all 3, just to be safe.

----------------------------------
Note that, in the MM6 manual, the Program Numbers listed run from 1-128, but the MIDI Program Change number (in the .reabank file) runs from 0 to 127.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
tomtom185

Thanks for all the help, and the "off by one" tip. I will definitely look out for that.

I can't wait to tear into this tomorrow.