Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-29-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
fredv
Human being with feelings

Default Help me find a keyboard/surface control for Reaper

Hi,

i've just discovered some very nice VSTi and with Reaper's new wonderful MIDI functions, i'd like to buy a small keyboard instead of using the virtual MIDI keyboard.

But i would be happy to have, with that keyboard, some knobs i could use to mix when i'm not playing the piano

Does such a tool exist ? i mean a small keyboard which could have a few control surface-like functions with knobs and maybe sliders.. and of course which would work with Reaper..

Thanks in advance
F.
fredv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
drakeblood

M-Audio Axiom http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Axiom49.html
or, even better,
Novation Remote SL http://www.novationmusic.com/product...te_sl?option=1
Old 05-29-2009, 08:06 AM   #3
fredv

Oh thanks
Novation seems wonderful but Axiom seems quite enough, but maybe still too expensive for such a small keyboard player like me..

I've looked in the M-Audio website and the "Oxygen 49" seems very nice too (price and features) but would it work corretly in Reaper too ? the difference in pleasure of play does justify the price difference ?

Thanks
Old 05-29-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
thormes

I recommend the small EMU, it`s very handy :

http://www.emu.com/products/product....&product=13556
thormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
zenmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thormes View Post
I recommend the small EMU, it`s very handy :

http://www.emu.com/products/product....&product=13556
+1 to the Xboard 25. I was originally hesitant because E-MU is owned by Creative but after getting an Xboard 25 I'm quite impressed. Inexpensive and very nice.
zenmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
patgaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredv View Post
Oh thanks
Novation seems wonderful but Axiom seems quite enough, but maybe still too expensive for such a small keyboard player like me..

I've looked in the M-Audio website and the "Oxygen 49" seems very nice too (price and features) but would it work corretly in Reaper too ? the difference in pleasure of play does justify the price difference ?

Thanks
The Oxygen should work just fine for your current purposes, but I've had a look at the Axiom and it sure looks nice. Poly after-touch support...that's cool. Just don't get into the trap of buying something cheap and then in a couple of months wanting something more. (Been there, done that!)

Processor: i5-12500H 2.50 GHz; OS: Win 11 64 bit; RAM: 16 GB
patgaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #7
fredv

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgaul View Post
Just don't get into the trap of buying something cheap and then in a couple of months wanting something more. (Been there, done that!)
Oh yes, thanks Pat and thanks others .. I think the better in my price range would be a used Axiom 49

Novation 25 is a killer but too expensive for me and Emu 25 doesn't have sliders

Axiom 49 is bigger but seems exactly what i wanted .. real cheap keyboard with all sliders and knobs i wanted

Thanks all
Old 05-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
jamester

I love the Axiom, but I can't figure out how to get the control knobs to work in Reaper. Everything else though (pads, transport) is great!
jamester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:33 AM   #9
zenmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgaul View Post
Poly after-touch support...that's cool.
I had one of the first generation Axiom 49s and it did not have polyAT, it had channel pressure. The M-Audio site is ambiguous regarding the Axiom Pro line (they just say aftertouch) as well.

The last true polyAT keyboards I know of are the Roland A-80 and A-50 which have been discontinued for years now. There's also the VAX 77 but those are incredibly expensive and more of what I'd consider a botique controller.

Of course, none of that matters if you don't really care about the difference between PolyAT and channel pressure.

(sorry for the OT, couldn't resist)
Old 05-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #10
fredv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamester View Post
I love the Axiom, but I can't figure out how to get the control knobs to work in Reaper. Everything else though (pads, transport) is great!
Hmmm and the sliders ? if control knobs and sliders don't work, it's quite useless for me .. any other axiom 49 user here who would have managed to use the knobs with Reaper ?
Old 05-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #11
zenmonkey

Quote:
Axiom 49 is bigger but seems exactly what i wanted .. real cheap keyboard with all sliders and knobs i wanted
As I said in the last post I owned a 49. I _hated_ the rotary controllers because they do not smoothly rotate, rather they have small discrete steps they take. It was difficult for me to turn them in small amounts given the resistance they had.

The sliders felt very cheap to me and had an extremely short throw. Because of the short throw I found it hard to use them for track mixing. Sure, it's easy to use for large volume jumps, but when you're trying to get things to sit in a mix they were utterly useless for that.

The pads were very firm and it was difficult to get a decent range of velocity expression on them (and yes, I tried the different velocity settings they offered).

That's not to say you won't love it, those are just my opinions on the controller. I really cannot stress enough just going to a local music store and playing with the keyboards. Try the knobs, the modwheel, the keybed. Try to get a feel for things you do and don't like.

Regarding the Xboard, you can use the 16 knobs for anything midi related and are smooth knobs. They aren't continuous rotating controllers though, that does put some people off.

If you're really interested in having faders try out the Behringer BCF controller. The pots on those are quite nice and the faders have enough of a long throw to make it useful for volume sliders.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:43 AM   #12
jamester

Quote:
Hmmm and the sliders ? if control knobs and sliders don't work, it's quite useless for me .. any other axiom 49 user here who would have managed to use the knobs with Reaper ?
I have the Axiom 25, so no faders for me.

If anyone's gotten the knobs to work I'd love to see how; also, what exactly they've assigned them to...
jamester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #13
fredv

Oh you're really making me think ..
Yes i agree, the faders may not be useful if the range is too small .. better to have knobs ..

The problem with the emu xboard 25 is the lack of transport buttons .. are there programmable buttons or only knobs on it ? is it possible to make transport buttons on it ?

Hard to find something wonderful ..
Old 05-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #14
darjama

I've got an emu xboard, there are no transport buttons or programable buttons. Also, changing programs via the keyboard is a pain. And the action is pretty bad. I'd look elsewhere.
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:48 PM   #15
sfletcher

Quote:
fredv,

I had all of the knobs working on my Axiom. They have no range as they continuously turn - which is great for adjustments in reaper.

You just go to action menu, and choose an action and then turn one of the knobs to tell Reaper which knob you want to use. I used them mostly for panning stereo.

I sent you a private message about my Axiom SPecial Edition, which is for sale.

Thanks,
Steve
sfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #16
bluzkat

fred,

You might want to check out the Korg Nano Series... see here:

http://www.korgnano.com/

Inexpensive and very functional.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:33 PM   #17
fredv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
fred,

You might want to check out the Korg Nano Series... see here:
http://www.korgnano.com/
Inexpensive and very functional.
Well i wanted at least a 25 keys + knobs all in one .. not seperate

By the way, i have Axiom 49 in view or Novation Remote 25 Compact (which i think could be better for mixing and playing a few notes with the keys)
Anyone with a Novation ReMote to tell me if it's nice ?
Old 05-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #18
themensch

I have a korg NanoKontrol and a microKontrol, both of which work very well with reaper. I've had some problems with m-audio gear, so I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.
themensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:31 AM   #19
fredv

Default Novation ReMote SL 25

Thanks all for your answers and help.

I have received my Novation ReMote SL 25 on saturday and i'm really happy with it.

I'm really sad because by the time i was wondering about Axiom, used Novation, Oxygen, i have spent too much time and missed the moment when my favorite shop was selling the Novation ReMote SL 37 cheaper than the 25 .. but well, 25 keys is still quite good

Reaper integration is wonderful even without Automap. I'm just using the excellent keymaps from RCUS (a bit customized). Thanks for your hard work, the setup is excellent.

Really happy with the Novation and Reaper of course
Old 06-08-2009, 07:54 AM   #20
pghboemike

Default Axiom control knobs to working in Reaper

Quote:
try this link

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=230775
pghboemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:55 AM   #21
politcat

Quote:
check that thread pghboemike linked to

if you still have problems, start a new thread and i'll get back to you there on how i use the knobs
politcat is offline   Reply With Quote