Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 06-14-2008, 03:32 AM   #1
Lestat66
Human being with feelings

Default Anyone have any bass guitar recordings with before and after effects?

I'm always trying to get a good sound recording bass guitar. I use the RME 800 fireface with a failry good bass guitar in the $600.00 range. I record with no effects (eq/compression) and add effects after the recording.
Does anyone have any mp3 samples of there own recordings with before and after effects? I hear alot of suggestions on this subject, but I really want to hear some examples to hear the diffeences on what others are doing. thanks

Last edited by Lestat66; 06-15-2008 at 01:23 AM.
Lestat66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:20 AM   #2
LOSER

Well I usually record the DI of the bass and it sound fine allready. It just needs some slight EQ and compression and then its done. Really nothing to write home about.
Also it really depends for what genre/style I'm mixing, so I don't have general bass guitar sound.

But anyway as requested here is a sample:
https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/138609/...er_snippet.wav
Note the processed bass is very tightly compressed has no dynamics and attack also doesn't exist anymore (except for that little ploppish sound), but this was the only thing I had handy.
LOSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
Staccato

This is miced up through a tube amp and 4x12 cab. Not just samples, full track.

www.caveffect.com/bassampl.exe

right-click and save as, it is a self extracting archive.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:29 AM   #4
Lestat66

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSER View Post
Well I usually record the DI of the bass and it sound fine allready. It just needs some slight EQ and compression and then its done. Really nothing to write home about.
Also it really depends for what genre/style I'm mixing, so I don't have general bass guitar sound.

But anyway as requested here is a sample:
https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/138609/...er_snippet.wav
Note the processed bass is very tightly compressed has no dynamics and attack also doesn't exist anymore (except for that little ploppish sound), but this was the only thing I had handy.

Loser,
that sounds so goddam good. So clear and no freakin mudd.. Is this because of your playing , gear, or a mix of both? If I can get that clear tone, I can actually get somethin done here. What are you doing? I am sure you know why you are not getting mudd. Can you help me out with some suggestions of why you think this is?
Old 06-15-2008, 01:39 AM   #5
Lestat66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staccato View Post
This is miced up through a tube amp and 4x12 cab. Not just samples, full track.

www.caveffect.com/bassampl.exe

right-click and save as, it is a self extracting archive.

Stacatto,

Sounds fantastic, Why am I sufering with a crappy bass sound? I will post here soon with my bass guitar sample. Maybe you guys can hear something I am not picking up on. I think I might need to get some new pick-ups or something . Maybe my playing,,, I don't know.. I'll post my bass guitar model and pick ups too. Are you guys playing with a pick? Thumb? Nail thumb combo? Let me know, thanks.

Last edited by Lestat66; 06-15-2008 at 01:59 AM.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:37 AM   #6
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Haven't got time to post examples now, but make sure you're using a high impedance input or else you bass sound will definetly be crappy (unless your bass has active pick ups, of course).

Regards,
- Jonas
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:45 AM   #7
LOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat66 View Post
Loser,
that sounds so goddam good. So clear and no freakin mudd.. Is this because of your playing , gear, or a mix of both? If I can get that clear tone, I can actually get somethin done here. What are you doing? I am sure you know why you are not getting mudd. Can you help me out with some suggestions of why you think this is?
Well.. to be honest, there really isn't anything special about how I record my bass (at least to my understanding). I usually record the DI/Line out of the amp, or if I don't feel like using an amp I record it straight through a mic preamp, so you could try that. Also if it really matters, I use a cheap p-bass style bass and I'm a sloppy player, so it is is neither the equipment nor the playing.

Anyway let's wait until you posted some sounds, so we can hear what's going on.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:45 AM   #8
themensch

Quote:
I record with no effects (eq/compression) and add effects after the recording.
I've recorded a lot of bass for a lot of different people, and I can say that the way you're doing it has been my preferred method, mainly because the gear I think sounds good is well out of my price range.

I bought a Radial JDI di box that I love, and I record straight in without eq or compression. I've tried many different low-end EQs and many different low-end compressors, and they all killed the tone of whatever bass I was recording.

For some bassists I had to slap compression on, but I would definitely start without - depends a lot on the skill of the player. Also, I would always EQ -after- I got a track to tape unless there was something really, really wrong with the input, but that's usually better to address before going to tape anyway.

I don't have any tracks to share at the moment, but I'm hoping this is helpful anyway.
themensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:20 AM   #9
Staccato

Quote:
Stacatto,

Sounds fantastic, Why am I sufering with a crappy bass sound? I will post here soon with my bass guitar sample. Maybe you guys can hear something I am not picking up on. I think I might need to get some new pick-ups or something . Maybe my playing,,, I don't know.. I'll post my bass guitar model and pick ups too. Are you guys playing with a pick? Thumb? Nail thumb combo? Let me know, thanks.
That's a slap-style, all finger, no nails.
When EQ'ing fingered bass, I take a low shelf down at 330 just a little, and high-pass at 47.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #10
Lestat66

Ok everyone, here's an example of my bass guitar sound. Also a link to my guitar model http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBASR506.

This bass guitar does have active pick ups, batteries are good. Going in to my fireface 800's instument input. I am playing this sample between the pickups. Knobs are in the middle/flat. No eq compression. Jonas, do passive pickup do the job better?

Any help is appreciated

http://www.jayalvarez.com/music/projects/BassGuitar.mp3

Last edited by Lestat66; 06-16-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:31 PM   #11
Jae.Thomas

you could check out this multi for my bass sound -- but its not that great

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22309
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:56 AM   #12
LOSER

Quote:
Ok everyone, here's an example of my bass guitar sound. Also a link to my guitar model http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBASR506.

This bass guitar does have active pick ups, batteries are good. Going in to my fireface 800's instument input. I am playing this sample between the pickups. Knobs are in the middle/flat. No eq compression. Jonas, do passive pickup do the job better?

Any help is appreciated

http://www.jayalvarez.com/music/projects/BassGuitar.mp3
The bass seems to be a bit muffled, try adjusting the tone control right at the bass to give you more brighter tone, also you get a lot of "noise"/ringing from the higher strings, try to avoid this when playing, by either damping the higher strings when you don't play them or find a nother method to get a clean tone of only the notes that your playing. That's my 2 cents hope this helps you a little.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:11 PM   #13
Lestat66

Quote:
The bass seems to be a bit muffled, try adjusting the tone control right at the bass to give you more brighter tone, also you get a lot of "noise"/ringing from the higher strings, try to avoid this when playing, by either damping the higher strings when you don't play them or find a nother method to get a clean tone of only the notes that your playing. That's my 2 cents hope this helps you a little.
Jason, that file was a little too big to download. Do you have some thing smaller?

Loser,

Yep, the opening strings were ringing on that sample. I'll make sure to keep them mutted. I tried alot of knob tweaking. Even if I cut the bass, or tweak the mids/highs it still sounds muffled in the low end. The samples you guys gave me here have this "sonic character" that appears to have this low end transparancy that's hard for me to describe. They sound punchy and warm. My bass guitar has soapbox pickups, I wonder how my fireface 800 preamp would sound with a fender p bass.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:42 AM   #14
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
Jonas, do passive pickup do the job better?
Nah, they're about the same - which suits you better depends on what sound you're after and if you don't mind switching batteries once in a while. What I meant is that if you have a passive input you must use a high impedance input or you'll lose a lot of bass, but since you have active pickups that shouldn't be a problem.

Does it sound good when yoe use a real amp?

Regards,
- Jonas
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:49 AM   #15
LOSER

Quote:
Jason, that file was a little too big to download. Do you have some thing smaller?

Loser,

Yep, the opening strings were ringing on that sample. I'll make sure to keep them mutted. I tried alot of knob tweaking. Even if I cut the bass, or tweak the mids/highs it still sounds muffled in the low end. The samples you guys gave me here have this "sonic character" that appears to have this low end transparancy that's hard for me to describe. They sound punchy and warm. My bass guitar has soapbox pickups, I wonder how my fireface 800 preamp would sound with a fender p bass.
Okay, I took the liberty to "cover" your sample (please forgive my sloppy playing), here played with a pick: http://stashbox.org/141600/BASS_PICK.wav
Here played with my thumb (since you prolly played it with your thumb, right?): https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/141599/BASS_THUMB.wav
(Both no fx, and you can clearly hear I'm used to play with a pick .)

Hope this helps you in some ways.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:00 AM   #16
Baer

Have you tried any alternatives to the FF800 instrument input? I’ve used a FF800 for the past couple years, and it generally is a high quality unit. I’m a bass player whose primary bass is a Fender American Deluxe Jazz which is an active bass. Although it’s been a couple years since I tested it, I decided early on that I wasn’t going to use the FF800 instrument input because it sounded like crap. I don’t recall exactly why, but I haven’t used it since. Maybe I’ll give it a second listen this weekend and let you know more specifically the basis for my opinion. But if you have an external DI unit or an amp with a DI output, you may want to opt for one of these alternatives.
Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:22 PM   #17
Lestat66

Quote:
Okay, I took the liberty to "cover" your sample (please forgive my sloppy playing), here played with a pick: http://stashbox.org/141600/BASS_PICK.wav
Here played with my thumb (since you prolly played it with your thumb, right?): https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/141599/BASS_THUMB.wav
(Both no fx, and you can clearly hear I'm used to play with a pick .)

Hope this helps you in some ways.

Yes, I can hear your sample of the bass melodie is quite clear with a pick. Your thumb picking mp3 sample didn't open for me. What type of bass are you using and preamp? Just wondering.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:34 PM   #18
Lestat66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baer View Post
Have you tried any alternatives to the FF800 instrument input? I’ve used a FF800 for the past couple years, and it generally is a high quality unit. I’m a bass player whose primary bass is a Fender American Deluxe Jazz which is an active bass. Although it’s been a couple years since I tested it, I decided early on that I wasn’t going to use the FF800 instrument input because it sounded like crap. I don’t recall exactly why, but I haven’t used it since. Maybe I’ll give it a second listen this weekend and let you know more specifically the basis for my opinion. But if you have an external DI unit or an amp with a DI output, you may want to opt for one of these alternatives.
I had the Apogge Mini Me before the ff800. The Ff800 is a little better in my opinion, but still need help for a better sound.
Yes, please go back to the time you decided to not use the ff800 inputs, I want to know what you think. Also what are you using now? What DI would be good If I got one?

Last edited by Lestat66; 06-20-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:45 AM   #19
LOSER

Quote:
Yes, I can hear your sample of the bass melodie is quite clear with a pick. Your thumb picking mp3 sample didn't open for me. What type of bass are you using and preamp? Just wondering.
Wierd ... anyhow reuploaded it https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/143027/BASS_THUMB.wav

One thing, don't get so hung up by gear, but if you really wanna know, (and I say this with all honesty, don't want to rub it in or anything, but ...) those samples where done with a cheap (under 100 euro) chinese p-styled bass, and it went straight into a mic pre of a behringer mixer. Pick used was a Dunlop Tortex Standard .88mm. So you see it is not the gear, but mostly the fact I play with a pick, because you will hear that the sample played with my thumb sounds similar (mudded) to yours. Are you playing with a pick?
Old 06-20-2008, 07:57 AM   #20
Baer

Quote:
Yes, please go back to the time you decided to not use the ff800 inputs, I want to know what you think. Also what are you using now? What DI would be good If I got one?
I use a Raven Labs ADP-1, a very flexible and IMHO great little unit purchased quite a few years ago. Unfortunately, Raven Labs no longer exists. If I were looking for one today, I'd probably choose from the Radial products as mentioned in a previous post, but I can't say I've tried any of them.

Alternatively I use the balanced line out of my Acoustic Image Coda-R amplifier. This is an unusual amp originally designed for use with upright acoustic basses. I bought one about six years ago to use with a Martin acoustic bass guitar I have. It's tiny but powerful with a deep, clean sound. I use it for everything now. Guys are always doing double takes when they hear it because they can't believe that tiny little box puts out that sound. You don't hear much about them -- I've never seen any forum posts in any of the forums I visit mention them. Next time you make it up to San Francisco, you could stop by for a listen.

Regardless of the bass or DI/amp/etc., I'm generally using an EBS Multi-Comp compressor pedal.

Anyway, I'll set up a little test this weekend.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:15 AM   #21
Staccato

Quote:
I agree to an extent, not that the FF800 instrument input doesn't sound good, there is better. Using the cabinet emulation helps alot.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:16 AM   #22
Staccato

Quote:
Wierd ... anyhow reuploaded it https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/143027/BASS_THUMB.wav

One thing, don't get so hung up by gear, but if you really wanna know, (and I say this with all honesty, don't want to rub it in or anything, but ...) those samples where done with a cheap (under 100 euro) chinese p-styled bass, and it went straight into a mic pre of a behringer mixer. Pick used was a Dunlop Tortex Standard .88mm. So you see it is not the gear, but mostly the fact I play with a pick, because you will hear that the sample played with my thumb sounds similar (mudded) to yours. Are you playing with a pick?
That's damn good sounding (pick). Is that an OLP bass?
Old 06-20-2008, 10:35 AM   #23
LOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staccato View Post
That's damn good sounding (pick). Is that an OLP bass?
It's just a noname p-bass knock-off. Doesn't even have a lable on the headstock, nor a badge or anything that states where it was made. But I'm VERY sure it's from china. Anyway can we stop talking about my crappy gear .
Old 06-20-2008, 10:45 AM   #24
Shredder

Hey LOSER - you are a BAD ASS!! Check out the wave form as compared to Lestat66 (top is Lestat66, bottom is Loser.) Your timing is uncanny (look at the grid). BTW: you can't see it, but it is that way all the way to the end of the snip..

Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:42 PM   #25
Baer

Quote:
Although it’s been a couple years since I tested it, I decided early on that I wasn’t going to use the FF800 instrument input because it sounded like crap.
So let me eat my words on this one. (Mmmm, good. Especially the "crap" at the end.)

I went ahead with a quick test in which I sent my Jazz Bass through my DI whose mic level output went to a mic input on the FF800 and whose amp level output went to the FF800 instrument input. I made sure the instrument channel options (drive, limiter, and cabinet emulation) were off, and I matched levels of the two inputs. To be honest, in playback there were only small differences, and at times I was alternating between which I liked better. Both sounded good.

I can only conclude that years back when I first formed those opinions about the FF800 instrument input, I must have had some or all of those options (drive, limiter, and cabinet emulation) on and didn't like what I heard. Or I'm more patient in my testing these days. Or I'm just full of crap.

My apologies to the fine people at RME for my earlier statement.

(And lestat, thanks for asking the original question -- I would have never revisited this issue otherwise.)

Last edited by Baer; 06-20-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #26
Lestat66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
Hey LOSER - you are a BAD ASS!! Check out the wave form as compared to Lestat66 (top is Lestat66, bottom is Loser.) Your timing is uncanny (look at the grid). BTW: you can't see it, but it is that way all the way to the end of the snip..

Shredder,

When I first listened to Losers sample, I thought it was mine, and eq a little. Pretty cool how his timing was right on.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:41 PM   #27
Lestat66

Quote:
So let me eat my words on this one. (Mmmm, good. Especially the "crap" at the end.)

I went ahead with a quick test in which I sent my Jazz Bass through my DI whose mic level output went to a mic input on the FF800 and whose amp level output went to the FF800 instrument input. I made sure the instrument channel options (drive, limiter, and cabinet emulation) were off, and I matched levels of the two inputs. To be honest, in playback there were only small differences, and at times I was alternating between which I liked better. Both sounded good.

I can only conclude that years back when I first formed those opinions about the FF800 instrument input, I must have had some or all of those options (drive, limiter, and cabinet emulation) on and didn't like what I heard. Or I'm more patient in my testing these days. Or I'm just full of crap.

My apologies to the fine people at RME for my earlier statement.

(And lestat, thanks for asking the original question -- I would have never revisited this issue otherwise.)
Glad you revisted going direct into the ff800 agian. I think i am going to get a p bass. I had one before, but sold it a while ago. I didn't have it when i purchased the ff800. The bass I have now sounds heavy compared to a fender p bass.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:46 PM   #28
Shredder

Quote:
Shredder,

When I first listened to Losers sample, I thought it was mine, and eq a little. Pretty cool how his timing was right on.
I think Loser is a big boy and will fest up if he did. However, I agree, and I am pretty sure he did not re-EQ your take.

But have to give you the credit for being in the pocket right off the bat..

Damm, when I grow up, I hope I can do the same - I typically need help and use a click track just to get even near the pocket.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:58 PM   #29
Lestat66

Quote:
I think Loser is a big boy and will fest up if he did. However, I agree, and I am pretty sure he did not re-EQ your take.

But have to give you the credit for being in the pocket right off the bat..

Damm, when I grow up, I hope I can do the same - I typically need help and use a click track just to get even near the pocket.
oh, yes, it was more of a figure of speech is what I meant! I know it was not "really" mine, but Loser's take

I just purchased a used Fender P bass today. I played it a few time today but not enough time to get into it yet. I do think it sounds cleaner than my Ibanez 6 string soap box pickup bass guitar. I'll post a sample here soon!
Old 06-26-2008, 05:21 PM   #30
Lestat66

Thanks Loser and others for your help. I now like using the pick better for recording bass guitar. I have always used my finger flesh, and although it sounds sweet to listen to alone like that, I've noticed using a pick for recording makes it easier to eq without the low-mid range mud I get with finger flesh picking. Atleast that's what I think. I may be wrong, but for me it works better. Here's a sample below with the Fender P Bass I bought used the other day. Half of this recording is with no effects, and the other half is with Ampeg's SVX plugin. Now when I use the Ampeg Sxv plugin, I can hear it actually work. Ampeg SVX plugin always sounded like crap, too bassy and clogged when I used to pluck the bass guitar with the flesh of my finger. In anyways, maybe you guys might have some other suggestions/opinions? http://www.jayalvarez.com/music/proj...enderpbass.mp3

Last edited by Lestat66; 06-26-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #31
Shredder

Quote:
In anyways, maybe you guys might have some other suggestions/opinions? http://www.jayalvarez.com/music/proj...enderpbass.mp3
I tried the link and I got the following:
Not Found
The requested URL /jay/music/projects/Fenderpbass.mp3 was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #32
Lestat66

Quote:
I tried the link and I got the following:
Not Found
The requested URL /jay/music/projects/Fenderpbass.mp3 was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

try again, I just fixed it, sorry about that!

Last edited by Lestat66; 06-26-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:04 PM   #33
Shredder

Oh yeah, using a pick gives better definition! Certainly the sweet sounding P Bass does not hurt at all. With the way you recorded this sample, you may not have to be doing a lot of EQing in my opinion. Much better than the last sample indeed!
Old 06-26-2008, 09:33 PM   #34
Lestat66

Thanks Shredder. I am getting used to the pick still, and eqing for the pick sound. I have a kick drum sound, and I want to mix with the bass. When I am done, I'll post a sample of the full song with the bass in it and get some feed back and tips. I think I need might some help on clarity once all the tracks are mixed together.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:32 AM   #35
labyrinth

As a DI I use the Hartke Bass Attack and it constantly makes an incredible bass sound. I use a P-Bass, but it can sound so huge through this pedal. Check it out, it's quite cheap and really solid. http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...1734&brandID=3
Old 06-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #36
Lestat66

Quote:
Originally Posted by labyrinth View Post
As a DI I use the Hartke Bass Attack and it constantly makes an incredible bass sound. I use a P-Bass, but it can sound so huge through this pedal. Check it out, it's quite cheap and really solid. http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...1734&brandID=3
Nice, I just checked it out. Thanks. I called around my town to see if anyone has one. No one sells it around here. Looks like it's easy to get online though. It's not much money either, I just might get it.