Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 04-13-2011, 07:08 AM   #1
MFarmer
Human being with feelings

Default Record vrs. Monitoring Levels

This has always been a mystery to me with my type of setup.
I am using Reaper with an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra. I plug my guitar player directly into the high Z input on the soundcard and we monitor through the speakers. Is there a way to have the monitor and record levels independent? So we could turn down the monitor level and raise the record level?

Thanks for any help.
MFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
Schmidty

If your monitor feed is direct from the M-Audio (meaning you hear the signal before it goes to the A/D converters, allowing for latency free monitoring) then there should be a setting on or within the interface (I'm not familiar with tthe fast track so I can't tell you where it is). If your monitoring is through Reaper (meaning you go into the A/D on the M-Audio, through reaper and then back out to either the M-Audio, or your internal sound card's D/A) then moving the fader in Reaper will adjust the monitor level but not the record level.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
MFarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
If your monitor feed is direct from the M-Audio (meaning you hear the signal before it goes to the A/D converters, allowing for latency free monitoring) then there should be a setting on or within the interface (I'm not familiar with tthe fast track so I can't tell you where it is). If your monitoring is through Reaper (meaning you go into the A/D on the M-Audio, through reaper and then back out to either the M-Audio, or your internal sound card's D/A) then moving the fader in Reaper will adjust the monitor level but not the record level.
Wow Schmidty. I'm afraid I'm not sure. Speakers are plugged directly into the outputs on the sound card. I don't know how to tell its before or after the A/D converters. I also dont know how to tell if it is going to Reaper first. New ground for me. Sounds like a need a little tutorial or something on this.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
Schmidty

Are your speakers plugged into your computer (sound card) or to the FastTrack (interface)?
Old 04-13-2011, 07:42 AM   #5
Schmidty

If you run the speakers off of the interface, then you can get seperate mixes usinging the internal routing within the fast track. It's in the monitoring section of the manual.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
MFarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
If you run the speakers off of the interface, then you can get seperate mixes usinging the internal routing within the fast track. It's in the monitoring section of the manual.
Yes, the are plugged into the outputs of the Fast track ultra..thats what I meant by my soundcard. I'll download a manual.

Thanks Schmidty
Old 04-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
Schmidty

Just for future reference, a sound card lives in-side the PC's chassis, and an interface lives outside and connects via Firewire/USB/Serial etc.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
TexaCali

I have the Fast Track Ultra 8R - which is probably pretty similar in operation to your interface. Yours may be slightly different, but here is how my 8R works:

Under the control panel there is an icon for the Ultra. Aside from driver settings (buffer size, sample rate, etc), it has a mixer. The mixer lets me hear the inputs directly in the outputs (zero latency), and control the levels. There is even a built in reverb in case I want a little reverb in my monitor (doesn't effect the recorded signal - which is good 'cuz it isn't a great reverb).

So - guitar(s) into Ultra input(s). Speakers to Ultra output. USB to Reaper. Open the control panel app, play back your recorded tracks, adjust the volume, and start playing guitar (not recording). Set the input level on the front level (this controls the record level) and then use the control panel app to set the guitar level in the speakers. You are set. Arm the track, set the cue where you want to start, and hit record!
TexaCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:01 AM   #9
Guncho

This seems to be getting more complicated than it needs to be.

Set your interface so you are hearing the output of Reaper. (Not direct monitoring)

Set the gain knob on your interface to a decent level.

Adjust the monitoring levels with the fader in reaper.

Done
Old 04-15-2011, 07:32 AM   #10
Schmidty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guncho View Post
This seems to be getting more complicated than it needs to be.

Set your interface so you are hearing the output of Reaper. (Not direct monitoring)

Set the gain knob on your interface to a decent level.

Adjust the monitoring levels with the fader in reaper.

Done
That leavel a lot of latency to contend with. The internal monitorig controls on the interface are there for low latancy monitoring.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #11
Guncho

Depends on your settings I guess. As I often play through ampisms and drum vsts I pretty much only monitor non direct.

Don't most people?
Old 04-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #12
junioreq

I never monitored direct before.. But I also get about 3ms latency, which is like nothing..

~Rob.
junioreq is offline   Reply With Quote