Old 02-15-2015, 04:46 AM   #1
heda
Human being with feelings

Default Region Tracks v2.2.0 (2024-03-27)

Manage sets of Regions and Markers using Tracks and items

The idea is to use empty items to define regions. You can have several tracks for different sets of regions/markers. Then you toggle ON/OFF the regions or markers for that track by unmuting/muting the tracks.

Download: HeDaScripts Manager

Last edited by heda; Yesterday at 07:44 AM. Reason: v2.0
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:10 AM   #2
X-Raym

This is actually the most current powerful solution for Regions Sets - Set/Display/Hide/Name Groups of Region highly desired feature !
Can't be as perfect as a native marker/region manager with group ability, but it can satisfy in some ways this deep need !
And nice to have managed to keep subtitles ! :P

Using empty item as regions, hehe, I used to do that on Cubase for moving groups of item

Nice script heda, very appreciated !

Quote:
Q: is there a way to automatically execute a script when muting or unmuting certain tracks? it would be nice to show/hide the markers just by muting or unmuting the track.
Nice idea indeed, we could then jide them on TCP/MCP and use the track manager !
But I don't know if it is possible.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:25 AM   #3
spk77

Very nice! Glad to see you and X-Raym getting more and more into scripting

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
Q: is there a way to automatically execute a script when muting or unmuting certain tracks? it would be nice to show/hide the markers just by muting or unmuting the track.
Maybe it would be possible with background script (using "defer" function).
spk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:49 AM   #4
spk77

Something like this:

(Shows message when track 2 mute state changes)

Code:
function mainloop() local(i, track, mute_state, last_mute_state)
(
  i = 0;
  loop(CountTracks(0),
    (track = GetTrack(0, i)) ? (
      i == 1 ? (
        mute_state = GetMediaTrackInfo_Value(track, "B_MUTE");
      );
    );
    i += 1;
  );

last_mute_state != mute_state ? (
    ShowConsoleMsg("Track 2 mute state changed\n");
    last_mute_state = mute_state;
  );

defer("mainloop();");
); 

mainloop();
Old 02-15-2015, 07:18 AM   #5
heda

Added the initial code in first post..
But I'm not proud of the way to retrieve the notes from the item. Maybe it doesn't always work.

And I need to add a check to not create marker if a marker with same id already exists.

X-Raym, I think there is a bug with the subtitles association of the markers to the SWS notes. Sometimes the subtitles are missing when reopening the project. But Most of the times it works... so I'm not sure what is going on... if you could test it...

Thank you spk77. It's a bit of a challenge but fun. Now I cannot stop it.. even if most of the time I have no idea what I am doing. I will look at your code and "defer" function. Interesting!
Old 02-16-2015, 06:32 AM   #6
heda

I've tried the defer function, and it works but it has a price. Large performance hit. It's not a viable solution.

It would be great if REAPER could provide some events triggers that execute functions when things happen. Something similar to Mouse modifiers but for scripting.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:28 AM   #7
spk77

Quote:
I've tried the defer function, and it works but it has a price. Large performance hit. It's not a viable solution.
That's true, unfortunately

Quote:
It would be great if REAPER could provide some events triggers that execute functions when things happen. Something similar to Mouse modifiers but for scripting.
"Mouse event listeners" would be nice.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #8
musicbynumbers

This is great! Will be using this thanks!

It's the closest yet to a feature request for having empty items act as regions (like you kind of can with marker tracks in cubase)

The thread and voting link is here..
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=77559

Old 02-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #9
musicbynumbers

also, the sws region marker window actually has the ability to store and load marker/region sets which is very useful but this is actually better for my uses. Just thought that was worth mentioning too for some uses
Old 02-16-2015, 02:48 PM   #10
X-Raym

@musicbynumbers
That's true, but this is unfortunately a bit limited. You can't display several sets at one time.
Scripts and extensions cannot satisfy every desire :P
Old 02-17-2015, 12:15 AM   #11
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
@musicbynumbers
That's true, but this is unfortunately a bit limited. You can't display several sets at one time.
Scripts and extensions cannot satisfy every desire :P
Yes you can. Can't you?
Just run the script to several tracks each one with different empty items and different initial id starts (specified in the track's suffix number)
Old 02-17-2015, 12:27 AM   #12
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
also, the sws region marker window actually has the ability to store and load marker/region sets which is very useful but this is actually better for my uses. Just thought that was worth mentioning too for some uses
thank you musicbynumbers
Yes I remember your feature request. Also one post that I did here last year http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=134675 current script doesn't create regions yet.
SWS markers and regions sets works but it doesn't allow you to manipulate the regions that overlap easily. Here you just move the empty items because each set is in different tracks and run the script to hide and show them again to update the sets. And you can also combine different sets of markers. In SWS you cannot combine them. Just load and save.

I was expecting devs should do something to work with overlapping regions, but since it may be years until we have that... this could help.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:01 AM   #13
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk77 View Post
That's true, unfortunately
"Mouse event listeners" would be nice.
I think making a small window GUI for one single script that includes the defer function to use the mute buttons to hide or show the markers for that track is not a bad idea. This would be better than having two scripts, one for deleting and one for creating markers. Since the defer function stops when you close the GUI right? What I cannot do is to run the script in the background all the time because it affects REAPER's performance a lot. But I don't mind running the defer while the GUI is open. And then I could also update the markers in realtime and move them if I move the items. As planetnine's item marker tool script does.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:53 AM   #14
X-Raym

@heda
I was speaking about SWS list markers :P
Old 02-17-2015, 04:04 AM   #15
heda

Quote:
@heda
I was speaking about SWS list markers :P
ah... of course. I see it now. I thought you were replying to his first post. I should be mixing one song this morning... but I want to code some scripting. what can I do? help!
Old 02-17-2015, 04:11 AM   #16
X-Raym

@heda
Haha, I tend to use @pseudo to show that it is not an answer to the first post, else each post has visually the same hierarchical value :P
Some people just quote whole post, without any cleaning, even gif. Such a waste ! ^^

It's not what you could do it is what do you need ! Dont't fall in the code spiral !
Anyway, there is several ideas than you can contribute to, I can mp you script I made that are unfinished for a reason or one another :P

Last edited by X-Raym; 02-17-2015 at 04:17 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:54 AM   #17
heda

@X-Raym, I am in the spiral already...

Question: is there a way to open the script gfx window at a specific coordinate on screen? Or even better, to remember it?
Also.. docking the window in V5.. it doesn't see to remember it was docked the next time you run the script.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:09 AM   #18
X-Raym

@X-Raym
That's taking shape !
Don't know a lot of things about GFX, sorry!
Old 02-17-2015, 10:09 AM   #19
heda

it is working! v0.2
https://stash.reaper.fm/23300/HeDa_Ma...om%20items.eel
Old 02-17-2015, 10:23 AM   #20
X-Raym

Wonderful !
I guess you didnt find time to mix :P
Old 02-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #21
planetnine

Quote:
Question: is there a way to open the script gfx window at a specific coordinate on screen? Or even better, to remember it?

I'm afraid not heda, not at the moment.

I use a "GUI_on" toggle flag in my deferred scripts and any screen/unneeded stuff is shut down when off, performing just the basic background stuff...

Quote:
...But I don't mind running the defer while the GUI is open. And then I could also update the markers in realtime and move them if I move the items. As planetnine's item marker tool script does.
Actually, I run the defer in that even when the GUI is off -it's the stuff in-between the defers that takes the processing; minimise/optimise that and your script processing should calm down. Try a dozen item markers and then toggle the GUI button while watching the REAPER "Performance" tab graph bounce up and down (I think there's a screwy bug in beta 18, introduced with the QN markers -beta 17 should be unaffected, though).

Feel free to dredge through the code if any of it is useful to you.

>
Old 02-17-2015, 04:36 PM   #22
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
I'm afraid not heda, not at the moment.

I use a "GUI_on" toggle flag in my deferred scripts and any screen/unneeded stuff is shut down when off, performing just the basic background stuff...

Actually, I run the defer in that even when the GUI is off -it's the stuff in-between the defers that takes the processing; minimise/optimise that and your script processing should calm down. Try a dozen item markers and then toggle the GUI button while watching the REAPER "Performance" tab graph bounce up and down (I think there's a screwy bug in beta 18, introduced with the QN markers -beta 17 should be unaffected, though).

Feel free to dredge through the code if any of it is useful to you.

>
I see at least in v5 they have added dockstate to gfx_init. Why don't they add x and y to position the window? I hope they do.

can't find that GUI_on flag in your script. Is it GUI_toggle? I think so. I don't know how to minimize a window and keep defer running... As I understand... putting gfx_getchar() >= 0 ? before defer it will run only when window is visible and stop when you close the window. is it right? I have tested with hundreds and hundreds of items and it is pretty fast right now. But not something to have in the background running I guess. Next thing is auto update markers when you modify the items, like in your script. I may dive into your code a bit. a bit intimidating.. 3300 lines!
Old 02-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #23
planetnine

Quote:
I see at least in v5 they have added dockstate to gfx_init. Why don't they add x and y to position the window? I hope they do.
I'm with you on this...

Quote:
can't find that GUI_on flag in your script. Is it GUI_toggle? I think so. I don't know how to minimize a window and keep defer running... As I understand... putting gfx_getchar() >= 0 ? before defer it will run only when window is visible and stop when you close the window. is it right? I have tested with hundreds and hundreds of items and it is pretty fast right now. But not something to have in the background running I guess. Next thing is auto update markers when you modify the items, like in your script. I may dive into your code a bit. a bit intimidating.. 3300 lines!
Yes, it is gui_toggle.

Just use conditionals around anything not needed for the "minimised" state, like so: gui_toggle ?(minimised, unnecessary stuff); so it only runs when gui_toggle=1 (on).

You can "minimise", or certainly reduce the gfx screen size for !gui_toggle, use:

Code:
	gfx_quit();
	gfx_init(version_num, min_width, min_height);
	// quit and reinitialise window to match font size...
...but it will reposition the gfx window to to top-left of your screen -waiting for position parameters

I've tried to consistently comment the scripts I write, but it's not always obvious what the overall structure gameplan is (often takes me a while to get back in the zone after not working on it).

The Item Markers script is two functions: init and main.

=> init sets up some variables and user prefs,

=> and main checks for mousewheel moves;
lists the markers;
checks for mouse-clicks;
updates the gfx window;
defers itself.

=> gfx_getchar() >= 0 ? defer("main();");

Everything else is called via list_markers();

Apart from the init function, everything else runs completely from start to finish for each defer loop -this means that every "item marker" is read, position calculated and relocated to its intended position every defer loop from scratch. BWF wav sources and offsets are stored to an array-list once "discovered" to prevent continual opening and reading of wav source files to find their timecode offset, but everything else is calculated afresh each loop -it would be far more efficient to event-trigger it within REAPER code, but this works well enough until such time as it is native or possibly an extension. It's amazing that this much runs in "realtime" in script.

Give us a nudge if you need any help unravelling any of it.

>
Old 02-17-2015, 05:34 PM   #24
musicbynumbers

Quote:
that is hella cool!
Old 02-18-2015, 04:16 AM   #25
timothys_monster

Hey heda,

very cool tool!

But I can't get the track muting to work.

I tried it with v0.2

timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:18 AM   #26
heda

Thanks musicbynumbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothys_monster View Post
Hey heda,
very cool tool!
But I can't get the track muting to work.
I tried it with v0.2
Thank you timothys_monster
It's strange... but I see that you created the markers right?
For now, the muting/unmuting only works while the window script is open.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:31 AM   #27
heda

@planetnine: Thank you for your reply. I'm learning a lot

coming in v0.3:
+ realtime markers updating when manipulating items

Old 02-18-2015, 07:39 AM   #28
timothys_monster

Quote:
For now, the muting/unmuting only works while the window script is open.
Ah ok. What a pity But good attempt though!
Old 02-18-2015, 07:40 AM   #29
timothys_monster

With this realtime feature... Would it be possible to create regions from the items as well? Would be perfect for Verse - Chorus - Bridge etc.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:45 AM   #30
heda

Quote:
With this realtime feature... Would it be possible to create regions from the items as well? Would be perfect for Verse - Chorus - Bridge etc.
yes if you see in the v0.3 gif, I have one track with suffix Regions. I'm still testing this.

I can make a version that doesn't need the window and runs in the background but it may use a lot of CPU. But maybe one can have the choice then to use one or another.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:52 AM   #31
timothys_monster

Quote:
yes if you see in the v0.3 gif, I have one track with suffix Regions. I'm still testing this.

I can make a version that doesn't need the window and runs in the background but it may use a lot of CPU. But maybe one can have the choice then to use one or another.
Thanks for the detailed answer. Well, useless CPU consumption wouldn't solve the problem for me. I will get used to letting the window open

Very nice to see that it'll work with regions, too!
Old 02-18-2015, 07:59 AM   #32
Soli Deo Gloria

Thanks sooo much, heda! This was really needed and I think it is a truly elegant way of solving it.
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:13 AM   #33
EvilDragon

This is very cool, but it totally needs to be native feature - would be able to be used all the time in the background and only use CPU when you actually change something (which might not be the case when you use defer in the script?).

Anyways - very cool, heda!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:31 AM   #34
heda

Thanks Soli Deo Gloria
I couldn't wait and I think this may be good for now. I tend to use regions for exporting, other regions for song's parts, and markers for corrections and lyrics subtitles, so I needed something like this. We can now move overlapping regions easily:

Regions support

@EvilDragon
Thank you
Yes I agree with you that it should be native feature. But it may be years until devs introduce a feature request. so...At least we have something now.
As for the CPU use, yes, we need some kind of event listener for actions such as muting a track, or moving an item, etc... Then we could execute scripts functions only when that happens. It would be a new world of scripting possibilities. I don't know if SWS extensions could provide something like that. For now I do what I can do with EEL only.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:32 AM   #35
X-Raym

@heda
If you need to create regions from items,
maybe you could find inspiration in my script EEL : Create regions from selected takes and from track name

EDIT: wait. you last gif show that... you already find a way ? awesome !

EDIT 2 : Don't have you have trouble with subtitles if you move regions ?
Old 02-18-2015, 09:01 AM   #36
heda

Quote:
@heda
If you need to create regions from items,
maybe you could find inspiration in my script EEL : Create regions from selected takes and from track name

EDIT: wait. you last gif show that... you already find a way ? awesome !

EDIT 2 : Don't have you have trouble with subtitles if you move regions ?
Yes I already did it.

I've just uploaded v0.3 code in first post so you all can test it with regions. Thanks !
I've renamed the file name of the script... since now includes regions.. but I can't rename the thread :/

@edit 2 question: no trouble moving regions, because they are just linked to their id. That's why it is important that id don't overlap with other track's regions. Next step is integrating your script Creating subtitles from regions http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=153006
with SWS so it is updated in realtime without copying and pasting. But that depends on SWS team.. I don't know C++...
Old 02-18-2015, 09:13 AM   #37
X-Raym

@heda
Yes, a native integration for creation regions from items would be awesome ;P But I already request that one year ago, without a lot of success :P
Sws guys have more important things in mind.
Speaking of my script, I think I will need your help (I edit my last post) for displays instructions in GFX window, just like you have done with your script

Code:
I don't know C++...
This is indeed far more complicated than scripting language. I needed the help of two friends in IT school just to modify the way regions were named after subtitles importation. And I don't speka about the hours needed just to understand how to set up the SWS dev environement :P

EEL can have quick results, and are quickly shared, I find it more exiting :P (but yes, you can't have things to complicated).
Old 02-18-2015, 12:20 PM   #38
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
This is very cool, but it totally needs to be native feature
Agreed, of course...but for now, this is really great for sure!

And now with REGION support!!!!

Fan-tas-tique!!!!

Infinite thanks!!!
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:25 PM   #39
timothys_monster

heda, as I can see in your gifs, the markers/regions are coloured the same as your items. This is nice.

But what I'd like to have is SWS Auto coloring applied to the regions once created from the items. Now it behaves like this:

You can see that while trimming the items the Auto colors flash through for a few milliseconds. But even if I close the script window they stay as blank as the item. Only if I delete one region the colors apply.
Would you mind having a look at it? Do you think it would be possible to solve?
Old 02-18-2015, 03:42 PM   #40
heda

Quote:
But what I'd like to have is SWS Auto coloring applied to the regions once created from the items.
Would you mind having a look at it? Do you think it would be possible to solve?
oh ok... I see what is happening here. Maybe I can make an option to not color the regions or markers and let SWS deal with that.