Old 06-16-2017, 07:12 AM   #1
Sound asleep
Human being with feelings

Default Windows mixer and reaper volume

Is there a way I can have reaper volume set at some volume in the windows mixer, and have windows always default to that volume for reaper, but another volume for everything else?

When I mix, I usually have decent head room to start with, and turn up the volume on my interface so that it's sort of how I'd want to hear it after mastering, which makes the rest of my computer noises too loud.

So, I'd like to default everything to always be at a moderate volume, and then have reaper all the way at max, and always have everything stay that way until I change it myself.

Can windows do that?
Old 06-16-2017, 07:51 AM   #2
karbomusic

That's a routing thing. If you have say 4 output channels on your interface, just assign Reaper to say 3/4 and windows default to 1/2 or vice versa. Most interfaces (at least the 4 I have owned) can map all hardware outs to 1/2. There are some other methods but with a real interface this is likely best.

To drive this home, I've done it this way since 1998 without issue.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-16-2017 at 08:00 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:25 PM   #3
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
That's a routing thing. If you have say 4 output channels on your interface, just assign Reaper to say 3/4 and windows default to 1/2 or vice versa. Most interfaces (at least the 4 I have owned) can map all hardware outs to 1/2. There are some other methods but with a real interface this is likely best.

To drive this home, I've done it this way since 1998 without issue.
Are you sure I can do this? I've never really seen any evidence for that about my interface, but then again, I've never really looked for that.

Is it in device configuration of reaper that I would do that? because I only have one left and on right out to choose from.

It's just a basic interface, nothing fancy, just 2 inputs.

It has 2 optical 2 RCA and 2 1/4" outputs, and the headphones jack, is what I use the most.

It's actually this interface.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:12 PM   #4
Ulf3000

you should select the asio driver in the reaper settings, then you can turn down the windows volume permanently without affecting reapers sound.
Ulf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:40 PM   #5
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
Are you sure I can do this? I've never really seen any evidence for that about my interface, but then again, I've never really looked for that.
No because I don't know your interface. It's something I've just always had... Delta66, RME FF800, RME UFX, RME BabyFace. All of those can route any outputs to 1/2 etc. using the sound card's internal mixer. Does your SC have it's own internal mixer? All the SCs I've had do but then again, that's something I make sure they have out of habit and I know all of them don't. The OP may have a point as well, I just promote what I described because it just works out so well across the board.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-16-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:13 PM   #6
Stella645

Quote:

It's actually this interface.
looks like your your interface is only 2 channel so you couldn't work this way.

Ulf3000 has the correct answer.
ASIO levels in Reaper are not affected by the Windows volume control as long as ASIO driver is selected.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:25 PM   #7
mschnell

Maybe using an appropriate plugin in the Monitor FX channel might help.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #8
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf3000 View Post
you should select the asio driver in the reaper settings, then you can turn down the windows volume permanently without affecting reapers sound.
Sweet. My windows mixer indicates my "master" as being my interface, so I didn't think that would work.

It will be more of a downer if I'm mixing and reaper crashes and my ASIO drivers go offline, but the rest of the time, this will be pretty sweet.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:22 PM   #9
Ulf3000

Quote:
Sweet. My windows mixer indicates my "master" as being my interface, so I didn't think that would work.

It will be more of a downer if I'm mixing and reaper crashes and my ASIO drivers go offline, but the rest of the time, this will be pretty sweet.
asio drivers going offline , never heard that ? just restart reaper if it crashes ...

if you want to minimize errors you can go to your windows playback devices and double click the interface output and under advanced disable "allow exclusive access" (i recommend to do this with every playback and recording device listed there, the windows exclusive mode is buggy and has no other purpose than to give notification sounds exclusive rights )
Old 06-21-2017, 02:24 PM   #10
Sound asleep

Quote:
asio drivers going offline , never heard that ? just restart reaper if it crashes ...

if you want to minimize errors you can go to your windows playback devices and double click the interface output and under advanced disable "allow exclusive access" (i recommend to do this with every playback and recording device listed there, the windows exclusive mode is buggy and has no other purpose than to give notification sounds exclusive rights )
I'll give that a go, but whenever reaper crashes, I always have to restart my computer.

When I first got my interface, and reaper, on an earlier version of windows, it wasn't so bad, I could unplug my interface, and plug it back, and it would work again.

But now I have no choice. If reaper crashes, my ASIO drivers are out of commission, and I have to restart the computer to get them back.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:55 PM   #11
Sound asleep

I have another part to this question. I was in mixing phase when I started this thread. Now I'm in mastering phase, so my mix in reaper is much louder, and I have the opposite problem where turning down my interface, makes windows too quiet, but my windows mixer is at max.

is there somewhere I could control my ASIO to come out quieter while I'm in mastering phase?
Old 06-24-2017, 12:25 AM   #12
AugerJ

Quote:
I'll give that a go, but whenever reaper crashes, I always have to restart my computer.

When I first got my interface, and reaper, on an earlier version of windows, it wasn't so bad, I could unplug my interface, and plug it back, and it would work again.

But now I have no choice. If reaper crashes, my ASIO drivers are out of commission, and I have to restart the computer to get them back.
Right after REAPER crushes next time, you can find and select it's process in the Task Manager, among the background processes (presumably).
And gauge how much time is needed for REAPER to disappear from the Task Manager window — IOW, for the ASIO driver to get back on-line.
It might take about five minutes.
If it's not too long, no need to restart the system then.
AugerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:00 AM   #13
Sound asleep

Funny, I just had a crash. Reaper has been closed for a while. I used it beforehand in directsound mode because I was just testing something out. I do that sometimes. The latency is bad, but the audio works without rebooting.

There is nothing reaper in task manager, but ASIO driver won't initialize.

I am not sure what "pre zero output buffers" means in audio configuration window.

Nor whether "ignore ASIO reset messages" would be something pertinent. to this situation.

idk if you know exactly but I will make a separate thread about that.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:11 AM   #14
AugerJ

Quote:
Funny, I just had a crash. Reaper has been closed for a while. I used it beforehand in directsound mode because I was just testing something out. I do that sometimes. The latency is bad, but the audio works without rebooting.

There is nothing reaper in task manager, but ASIO driver won't initialize.
If you think that a particular plug-in may be the reason why REAPER crushes
(and I can't think of any other reasons),
you can run that plug-in as a dedicated process
(right click on it's name in the FX window — Run as...),
so if the plug-in crushes it won't drag REAPER (or ASIO driver) down with it.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:38 AM   #15
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerJ View Post
If you think that a particular plug-in may be the reason why REAPER crushes
(and I can't think of any other reasons),
you can run that plug-in as a dedicated process
(right click on it's name in the FX window — Run as...),
so if the plug-in crushes it won't drag REAPER (or ASIO driver) down with it.
That time it was a specific one, but I've not noticed any specific plugins that are issues really.

It's just usually when it crashes, it's because I'm using a plugin. Could be a number of reasons.

But thanks, I'll remember that, if ever I notice usual suspects.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:49 AM   #16
Sound asleep

Quote:

Idk if you will see this, but if you do, I think this broke it worse, because after the crash, I rebooted, and then I still got complaints ASIO driver couldn't initialize, so I tried rebooting again, still same result. Re-enabled this specific option, rebooted, and it worked fine.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #17
karbomusic

Quote:
It's usually the driver crashing in kernel and losing communication with the app up in user mode, in this case Reaper. When this occurs, Reaper owns a non-existent handle and it will never work without rebooting. To confirm if this is the issue, Reaper will appear to have crashed/closed and there will be no icon in the taskbar or GUI, but it will be visible in task manager and End Task simply won't work. It's sort of similar to a deadlock where each resource is waiting on the other.

Quote:
It's always worked fine here, Reaper needs exclusive access in the form that if you want it to release when not focused, set the option in Reaper.

@SoundAsleep... You have a hardware and/or driver issue, you really need to fix that first if you can figure out what is wrong. I have not read too much above, what OS and what sound card? It's also possible something else is related than just the SC. A crash report from the Application Event Log would be helpful.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-24-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:00 AM   #18
Sound asleep

Quote:
It's usually the driver crashing in kernel and losing communication with the app up in user mode, in this case Reaper. When this occurs, Reaper owns a non-existent handle and it will never work without rebooting. To confirm if this is the issue, Reaper will appear to have crashed/closed and there will be no icon in the taskbar or GUI, but it will be visible in task manager and End Task simply won't work. It's sort of similar to a deadlock where each resource is waiting on the other.

It's always worked fine here, Reaper needs exclusive access in the form that if you want it to release when not focused, set the option in Reaper.

@SoundAsleep... You have a hardware and/or driver issue, you really need to fix that first if you can figure out what is wrong. I have not read too much above, what OS and what sound card? It's also possible something else is related than just the SC. A crash report from the Application Event Log would be helpful.
Reaper has crashed a zillion times for me at random periods. It's usually in specific instances that I recognize, or running out of memory, or something like that.

I have not experienced more crashes of late, and in fact fewer, since I've switched to 64 bit now. So, I don't think I have a particular issue at this point in time. But, I did switch that setting off to see if that could help me with not rebooting.

I would love to find a solution for that. I put that option back so I should be good now.

It's not like I get frequent crashes, but I do get some from time to time. I mean, maybe if I had a different interface, I wouldn't need to reboot, and maybe I wouldn't get as much crashing, but I don't think there is anything I can do to fix my drivers or my hardware any better. It's getting a bit older now, but I still like it just fine.

Big projects are slow to load though, so when it crashes, that really sucks.

I think it's just one of those things I have to live with. Thanks for your help though.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:11 AM   #19
karbomusic

Quote:
I think it's just one of those things I have to live with.
If you choose that path then yes, but much of what you explained is abnormal and I personally would never stand for Reaper (or any app) crashing to the extent you just described. If it's rare now, I guess it doesn't matter.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:13 PM   #20
Sound asleep

Quote:
If you choose that path then yes, but much of what you explained is abnormal and I personally would never stand for Reaper (or any app) crashing to the extent you just described. If it's rare now, I guess it doesn't matter.
It was never crashing to any significant extent. Don't worry, I wouldn't stand for that either.

It has crashed for me many times, but over many years.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:20 PM   #21
AugerJ

Off-topic

Apparently, I used the word 'crush' instead of 'crash'.
Luckily, you've figured that out )
Old 06-26-2017, 06:08 AM   #22
Ulf3000

Quote:
Idk if you will see this, but if you do, I think this broke it worse, because after the crash, I rebooted, and then I still got complaints ASIO driver couldn't initialize, so I tried rebooting again, still same result. Re-enabled this specific option, rebooted, and it worked fine.
hey man .. now im even more convinced its the windows sound driver and the asio driver messing each other up

please try to disable your wdm driver similar to this

your sound card will not be available anymore in the windows playbback devices but asio should still work fine .. now see if it crashes anymore ..

this is definitly worth a try !!!

to get the windows sound back through your card you can use http://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index....loadASIOBridge

its a micro virtual soundcable which routes your windows sound to the asio driver....

my NI audio interface can connect to as many asio application as it wants to but some cardds only allow one program to use asio at one time .. so maybe thisll work for you or not .. definitly try it before buying a new interface

that way i can always listen (and record) all my soundsources from webbrowser to audio app to dj software without switching any ins/outs..

Last edited by Ulf3000; 06-26-2017 at 06:16 AM.