Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 06-14-2016, 04:05 PM   #1
themixtape
Human being with feelings

Default Help with Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 - "recording system audio" or playback (Mixcontrol)

Insanely frustrated, with MixControl.....

My 1999 Delta 44/Omni I/O combo can easily record "monitor" (the system playback)... this 2013 Focusrite can't? Or so it seems.

I'm not an idiot when it comes to computer recording.... I just can't get my damn head around the routing.

I want to use it for two things-- recording playback... and, for sreencasting. I don't want to have to always resort to my 17-year old audio interface.... even though I tend to, a lot.

HELP! Thanks!

(I don't know if this is the right forum for this question, btw)

Last edited by themixtape; 06-14-2016 at 04:14 PM.
themixtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:45 AM   #2
cyrano

Windows? Mac?
Old 06-15-2016, 08:52 AM   #3
themixtape

Win 7, 64-bit. Using latest version of MixControl.

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2016, 09:24 AM   #4
DarkStar

Isn't MixControl the same on both?

I had a quick look at the MixControl User Guide (in the older 18i8 user guide) - I'm sure that the answer is in there somewhere as the routing and device selection seems very comprehensive.

From what you have said, I presume that you want to get the stereo output from Reaper routed back onto an unused pair of inputs so that it can be returned to another track in Reaper?
Old 06-15-2016, 09:25 AM   #5
themixtape

Yeah, that... and the ability to screencast with narration, without using my old interface... I just need to record "what my computer hears" for a couple things.. definitely the screencasting, mostly... I hate having to switch to my old interface.

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2016, 07:14 PM   #6
cyrano

When I had to work with MixControl or TotalMix on someone else's rig, I hated it too. I mean, why was that so complicated? I loved USB class compliant stuff. Real plug and play.

Then I got a FF400. It took me a while to understand the basics. And it took a lot of time before I grokked what routing was about. I needed to invest a lot of time watching vids on youtube and reading the manual. And even more time experimenting.

Now, I can't live without TotalMix. It's easy, it can do anything. And the same goes for MixControl. Bewildering, infuriating at first, until your learn how to tame the beast.

Unfortunately, that cannot be condensed into one forum posting, as what YOU do with it, might be totally different from what I do with it...

I'll give you one simple example:

You could patch one input to two, or even more outputs, to send to external effects, each returning to other inputs.

Sure, you could do that in Reaper too, but then you get some latency. The DSP mixers in the interface have NO noticeable latency. And it uses NO cpu power.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:15 AM   #7
themixtape

Still haven't had any luck with this... anyone use MixControl to record system audio or anything the computer is playing back? I still can't understand why a 1999 interface can easily do this, but not a Focusrite such as this. Thanks guys!

Maybe I should ask this thread to be moved to general... I don't know if this is the right place...
Old 06-17-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
DarkStar

Perhaps it would be faster to contact Focusrite Support directly (except that's it's now the week-end).
Old 06-17-2016, 01:39 PM   #9
themixtape

I thought about that, but I trust Reaper users a little more, haha. They also might just direct me to their MixControl tutorial page... which I can't get my head around, at all.

Sadly.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:51 PM   #10
Bjorn218

I use MixControl and I agree with you that it is a major pain in the ass until you somewhat understand it's real function. The real function is just to create headphone mixes. There is a little section in it for buffer control, but I think that should have really been a separate application, but that is my opinion.

I am not sure I am completely following you on how you are trying to set up your routing within MixControl. You have three choices per input. Analog, SPDIF, and ADAT. It sounds like you are doing all ITB though. Try this and see if it works, as this is the only way I figured out how to use it for me.

Area below faders in MixControl
Mix 1 > Monitor 1
Mix 2 > Monitor 2
Mix 1 & 2 > Line Output 3 & 4 (Headphones, or wherever yours are in your version of MixControl)

Channel section
If using any microphones or external inputs they will be set up similar to this
Anlg 1 > ANLG 1 for input. If a stereo input to interface use two channels for the inputs 1 & 2, 3 & 4, etc.. and click the handcuffed circles below the fader.

Look at the Mix 1 channel, in the top drop down menu make sure monitor 1 and output 3 is assigned to the left hand drop down menu. Make sure that monitor 2 and output 4 is assigned to the right hand drop down menu.

When doing everything ITB The only thing you are going to use MixControl for is turning on and off the monitors or headphones. All other routing I do in Reaper.

Rereading your initial post, it almost sounds like you want to do a loop-back recording. If so wouldn't you set Daw 1 and 2 to Loop-back 1 and 2? (Making sure to assign loop-back 1 and 2 to Mix 1 Left and Right? I don't fully understand loop-back recording so this may not be beneficial to your situation.

Just remember that MixControl is just a pretty looking headphone mix program and not really utilized as a routing control. Routing is mainly controlled in Reaper.
Bjorn218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:25 AM   #11
wallace

mix control tutorial

Plenty here if you can spare a few minutes.
wallace is offline   Reply With Quote