Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 04-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
poppa_john
Human being with feelings

Default Cakewalk V-Studio 700 Console + Reaper?!

Hi guys!,

My Sonar was giving my a lot of headache, still getting issues resolved. In the meantime, I found Reaper, installed the demo, and generally liking it a lot. (I'm still getting used to the no buss idea and tons of super-advanced options :P)

My dillemma: I own a VS-700 Console (http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media...0_brochure.pdf) It emulates Mackie Control, but things are wacky/don't work well. I installed Klinke's MCU extension, helped, but things are still not mapped well (ie Pan is not showing up on the screen)

Isn't there any way I can program my own functions into the Reaper to use the console the way I want?! When I go into the Actions menu, it does not recognize my surface...

I noticed Reaper severely lacks in the console and midi device department. Many things need t be done manually.

Thanks guys! Looking forward to joning the community.
poppa_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
poppa_john

Bump...
Anyone familiar with MCU- emulating consoles (that are not the MCU) and reaper?!
Any suggestions on how to program my own, or modify the existing Klinke extension?!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
Klinke

Can you be more specific about your problems? What do you mean with "is not showing up on the screen"? What happens when you rotate the encoder?
Klinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
poppa_john

Hey Klinke.

Glad you're helping me out

Some of shortcomings that I have found with the VS 700 and Reaper:

- The pan does work, but the current pan it is not displayed on screen. I understand that the MCU has a rotary LED display for pan, while the VS700 has the scribble strip. Anyway we can change this setting? Also, when clicking the button in, pan does not reset.
- A lot of unused buttons (obvious one), especially the channel strip encoders and access panel
- THE |< transport button does not do anything, but instead the << does it's place
- Jog wheel does not work
- Save does not work
- the +8/-8 Fader bank buttons are reversed.
- Shift + any button (modifier) does not work properly. ie +8/-8 will get modified to +1/-1, and those dont work at all.
-Automation write/read are not working well.
- Loop edit doesn't work
- Many, many, many more incorrect mappings. These are the ones that I remember and use most.

I also tried remapping some of it under reaper's <?> menu but many buttons/midi cc's were not recognized.

Any help Klinke? I just want to program all the buttons correctly and use any of the spare ones., as well as show the on the Scribble strip.

Thanks

PJ
Old 04-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa_john View Post
- The pan does work, but the current pan it is not displayed on screen. I understand that the MCU has a rotary LED display for pan, while the VS700 has the scribble strip. Anyway we can change this setting?
- A lot of unused buttons (obvious one), especially the channel strip encoders and access panel
- THE |< transport button does not do anything, but instead the << does it's place
In Mackie mode the funcionality of the VS700 is limited to the functionality of a Mackie Control, so additional display/knobs and buttons (like the |< button) will be unused Mackie mode (independent of the host you are using). The only solution would be a own Reaper extension that

Quote:
- Jog wheel does not work
- Save does not work
- the +8/-8 Fader bank buttons are reversed.
- Shift + any button (modifier) does not work properly. ie +8/-8 will get modified to +1/-1, and those dont work at all.
- Many, many, many more incorrect mappings. These are the ones that I remember and use most.
Stuff like the reversed fader bank buttons seems to be caused by a bad implementation of the MCU mode from Roland/Cakewalk. It would be interesting to know which MIDI messages the VS 700 sends (e.g. when you use the jog wheel) and to compare it with the MIDI messages from the MCU. In the case that they send incorrect MIDI messages a possible solution would be to intersect the MIDI communication with a tool that transform the MIDI messages to fix those mismatching parts, e.g. using virtual MIDI-Ports like MIDI-Yoke and Software like MIDI-Ox for the transformation.

Quote:
I also tried remapping some of it under reaper's <?> menu but many buttons/midi cc's were not recognized.
Also here you could check with a MIDI monitor if the VS 700 sends messages, maybe the buttons are "dead" while you are the MCU emulation mode.

Best,
Klinke
Klinke is offline   Reply With Quote