Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-04-2013, 04:00 AM   #1
ChrisSTC
Human being with feelings

Default independence free, can only hear piano.

Hi,

Recently downloaded Independence Free as a way of being able to select lots of instrument sounds. I have downloaded the player and instrument library. It loads into Reaper but i can only hear the default piano even when i select other instruments from the dropdown list (the instrument icon will change to show trumpet, guitar etc, but i still hear piano when i play the keys)
Any ideas ?

Thanks Chris.
ChrisSTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
DarkStar

It sounds like you are routing the MIDI out of Reaper to an external MIDI Player (Microsoft Wavetable Synth?). If so, then remove that routing (in the track's IO window).

What happens when you load an instrument and click the Independence Free keyboard? You should hear that sound.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
ChrisSTC

Hi, I dont see that option in the window ? Im still new to this. At first i couldnt hear anything but when i selected the same sound driver (asio) for independence as i use for Reaper i got sound, but only the start up default piano, no matter what instrument i select. Im happy its all downloaded properly to the right places. It may be that im missing something on the UI.

Do you know of a decent not too expensive simple to program synth that gives good traditional instrument noises. I searched the forum and web but cant seem to find anything except UVI workstation and independence. Both are very expensive to buy, or the sample packs are expensive. I used to use a synth called Vita by yellow tools which suited me, but this was synched to Magix only.

Ive posted on here but but been directed to look at the free plug ins thread, still cant sem to find anything and theres so much to trawl through.

Thanks for your help.

Chris.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
DarkStar

Just for info, here's where you route a track to the MIDI outside world:

Anyway, I do not know Independence. If you only have one instrument (not a piano) in it and click its built-in keyboard:
-- what do you hear?
-- does the level meter on the track show the audio level?
-- does the level meter on the Master track show the audio level?

Sample player? TX16Wx or Sforzando plus third-part SoundFonts / Sfz files (neither comes with its own sounds).

You could do worse than IK Multimedia's SampleTank 2 Free plus Sonic Reality's OmniSynth 2
https://www.esoundz.com/details.php?ProductID=4736
Note: SampleTank 3 is planned for release this year, but SampleTank 2 will continue to work. Some users have reported problems with SampleTank 2 so try out the Free version first.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
ChrisSTC

Thanks for quick reply. The problem was the instrument was scanning the wrong directory !

I will try out your recommendations as im still looking for my ideal synth.

Thanks agin