Old 01-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
flanorelli
Human being with feelings

Default Waves InPhase side-chain input?

Has anyone used Waves InPhase in Reaper? I'm having trouble figuring out how to assign tracks as inputs to the plugin. Suppose I want to use InPhase to phase-align two mono tracks. Per the following youtube tutorial:

http://youtu.be/FczN2YBLsrY

I am supposed to:

1. Open the InPhase mono plugin on the first mono track
2. Send the other mono track to bus 1
3. Assign the InPhase side-chain key input to receive from bus 1
(all of this is explained in the first 20 seconds of the video)

However, in Reaper I don't see anything similar to the "InPhase sidechain key input" functionality. There are no controls within the plugin to actually tell it which track to use as side-chain input. The only way I've been able to use the plugin is to put the stereo version of the plugin on a separate 'aux' track and then send the two mono tracks to the aux track as inputs 1 and 2.

I have a lot of Waves plugins, and they all work fine in Reaper except for the issue described above (and except for Waves Tune, which also doesn't seem to play well with Reaper).

Any thoughts or workarounds? I suspect Reaper's signal routing is powerful enough to handle just about anything but needs to be setup outside of the plugin itself. It's not obvious to me how to tackle this.

Thanks!
flanorelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
camerondye

I made a video showing you the process between two tracks. It should work great for you...I was just using the InPhase plugin yesterday on some drum tracks.

camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
flanorelli

Thanks! Your approach works great. I placed the stereo version of the InPhase plugin on my receiving track (in your example that would be the bass track). Then Ch 1 in the plugin corresponded to the bass track (as expected)and Ch2 of the plugin corresponded to the incoming Kick track (as hoped).

This solves my issue. Wonderful!
Old 01-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
camerondye

Nice...make sure you remember to set the volume of the send.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
fwd0120

Wow!!! I thought this was a VST3 issue the whole time... Can't believe I got rid of it. :-O
fwd0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
SamuelC

I am just trying out Reaper and this is really backward in terms of mixing.

Reaper can not load the proper Mono/Stereo version of the plugin

If you add a Stereo/mono fx to Reaper check it's VST pins it is probably using 2 channels!!! when it should be ONE only not 2. Reaper does not know what to do with the plugin. Some plugins do not have the separate Mono fx and this cripples Reaper as Reaper sends out the FX over 2 channels even though the wav file is MONO.

All of this due to Reaper not having MONO tracks.

Not sure if this will ever get changed but we can hope I guess.

VST3 checks what track type you have in order to load the proper MONO/Stereo/Multichannel so this is no go in Reaper.

My advice is

check every tracks FX to make sure it is in Stereo or MONO depending on what you needed
check sends and disable the second chnnnels so that you are sending only 1 channel

Something is wrong with Reaper it knows and has functions for MONO but those functions are not connected together

Reaper on a MONO wav file on a send will indeed send 2 channels , you must uncheck the 2nd channel on the send

Imagine dozens of tracks and dozens of FX instances and having to check all of them ......

Last edited by SamuelC; 03-22-2014 at 08:32 PM.
SamuelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:44 PM   #7
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelC View Post
I am just trying out Reaper and this is really backward in terms of mixing.

Reaper can not load the proper Mono/Stereo version of the plugin

If you add a Stereo/mono fx to Reaper check it's VST pins it is probably using 2 channels!!! when it should be ONE only not 2. Reaper does not know what to do with the plugin. Some plugins do not have the separate Mono fx and this cripples Reaper as Reaper sends out the FX over 2 channels even though the wav file is MONO.

All of this due to Reaper not having MONO tracks.

Not sure if this will ever get changed but we can hope I guess.

VST3 checks what track type you have in order to load the proper MONO/Stereo/Multichannel so this is no go in Reaper.

My advice is

check every tracks FX to make sure it is in Stereo or MONO depending on what you needed
check sends and disable the second chnnnels so that you are sending only 1 channel

Something is wrong with Reaper it knows and has functions for MONO but those functions are not connected together

Reaper on a MONO wav file on a send will indeed send 2 channels , you must uncheck the 2nd channel on the send

Imagine dozens of tracks and dozens of FX instances and having to check all of them ......
Can you explain what is the problem with Reaper not differentiating between stereo and mono tracks. If you have a mono wav on a Reaper track, you do not "need" to uncheck any pins, just use the plugin on the mono wav. Maybe I am more basic, as I come from the "analog world" of audio where a track is a track is a track....like Reaper. Why in the world would you need to ensure the plugin is routed as "true mono"?
Old 03-23-2014, 03:09 AM   #8
camerondye

Honestly, I delete all the mono versions of all plugins from the beginning and rename them without stereo and then you never see it and just don't think about it because it shouldn't be an issue. A stereo track with the exactly the same thing in both speakers is essentially mono, in fact I like not having to deal with choosing between myself. It's a different way of thinking but honestly it's just as valid to just consider everything stereo as far as a DAW goes and I have never encountered a drawback.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:26 AM   #9
alex1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Can you explain what is the problem with Reaper not differentiating between stereo and mono tracks. If you have a mono wav on a Reaper track, you do not "need" to uncheck any pins, just use the plugin on the mono wav. Maybe I am more basic, as I come from the "analog world" of audio where a track is a track is a track....like Reaper. Why in the world would you need to ensure the plugin is routed as "true mono"?
This...

Nobody needs to uncheck anything (unless in order to save a couple of cpu cycles and BTW the mono versions of plugs already have the plugin pin connector changed like we would do it manually).

SamuelC,

You need to understand one thing - there's no "real" mono. Two speakers - two channels. Signals have to be split into two channels somewhere. REAPER is all the way stereo under the hood and that doesn't bother me at all (if it wasn't signals would have to be split at the pan pot, got it?).
alex1073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:32 AM   #10
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1073 View Post
This...

Nobody needs to uncheck anything (unless in order to save a couple of cpu cycles and BTW the mono versions of plugs already have the plugin pin connector changed like we would do it manually).

SamuelC,

You need to understand one thing - there's no "real" mono. Two speakers - two channels. Signals have to be split into two channels somewhere. REAPER is all the way stereo under the hood and that doesn't bother me at all (if it wasn't signals would have to be split at the pan pot, got it?).
This is basically what I was getting to, but as usual, someone (you this time) said it more clearly than I did!
Old 03-23-2014, 05:06 AM   #11
alex1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
This is basically what I was getting to, but as usual, someone (you this time) said it more clearly than I did!
Your answer was already clear enough, but it seems that a lot of people never worked on a real desk (which is not a bad thing or something, but they seem to have hard times understanding mono/stereo thing).
Old 03-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #12
SamuelC

Since I come from the hardware analog mixing things in Reaper are different, as other daw's ( all of them) have indeed track types for midi, Instruments, automation, Audio, Multichannel and so fourth.

I have a little console here and it has 24 channels ( 24 mono) ( or 12 stereo)

This is why I posted a question that no one can directly answer.

example: I am setting 10 tracks with no fx or sends( they are mono not stereo mind you ) on their own channel so that Reasurround (set to Stereo) then picks them up on the master track which is set to 20 channels ( since channels are default 2.

The question is simple, if you mute the 2nd channels of all the tracks showing up in Reasurround you are back to proper MONO 1 channel tracks and you can now mix them just like an analog console

You can pan them across the Stereo field with no issues and all their 2nd channels are muted.

The issue is why am I loosing 10 channels?
Why can't track channels be set to 1?

64 channels is 64 mono tracks or 32 stereo tracks, but since Reaper defaults Mono tracks to 2 channels you really have 32 stereo tracks on their own channels or 32 MONO tracks on their own channels ( since they are 2 default)

That is what my concern was.

I like being able to put each track on their on channels then mix them in Reasurround where I can mix them visually.

Since Reaper does not allow you to use only 1 channel, we can not have 64 tracks on their on individual channel.

Cockos should put a disclaimer that MONO tracks are defaulted to 2 channels PRE FX

Is there a workdaround of some kind for this?
Old 03-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #13
alex1073

O.K. the most important thing is that you understand how it works and that it actually makes no difference. Pan law and modes are the same as in any other DAW. And, no, no workarounds - there's only one type of track in REAPER (and 64 channels per track ).

Last edited by alex1073; 03-23-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #14
SamuelC

Cool I was wondering the ins and outs of Reapers mixing Structure.

Most Daw's fall apart after 20 tracks with sends and routings

I am on Presonus Studio One 2.6 ( got it right when they added hardware monitoring support)

So a Mix of Studio One super fast workflow and the mixing power of Reaper, is the best of both worlds.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:59 AM   #15
alex1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelC View Post
Cool I was wondering the ins and outs of Reapers mixing Structure.

Most Daw's fall apart after 20 tracks with sends and routings

I am on Presonus Studio One 2.6 ( got it right when they added hardware monitoring support)

So a Mix of Studio One super fast workflow and the mixing power of Reaper, is the best of both worlds.

Thanks.
You're welcome. And welcome to the forums. They're a friendly bunch here. You'll have loads of fun exploring REAPER and if you run into any problems, just ask (a lot of kowledgable people here).

Cheers, Alex
Old 09-23-2014, 01:02 PM   #16
timothys_monster

Sorry for bumping this thread!

I'm demoing the InPhase-Plugin from Waves and have trouble getting the sidechain set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanorelli View Post
Thanks! Your approach works great. I placed the stereo version of the InPhase plugin on my receiving track (in your example that would be the bass track). Then Ch 1 in the plugin corresponded to the bass track (as expected)and Ch2 of the plugin corresponded to the incoming Kick track (as hoped).
How did you do that?

When I send signal to new channels (3/4) of the receiving track I can see that the plugin itself does not support 4 input channels so the sidechain goes nowhere:

timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #17
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothys_monster View Post
Sorry for bumping this thread!

I'm demoing the InPhase-Plugin from Waves and have trouble getting the sidechain set.

How did you do that?

When I send signal to new channels (3/4) of the receiving track I can see that the plugin itself does not support 4 input channels so the sidechain goes nowhere:

Are you sure that you loaded a stereo version?
Old 09-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #18
timothys_monster

Yes. The mono version shows just 1 VST In in the connector.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #19
richie43

I watched the little giff farther up in the thread, and it looks like he went into the routing menu (I/O) and set the channels to 4 first. Did you try that? That is weird though, you are right. Maybe PM the person in this thread that claimed to have side-chaining with this plugin working.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #20
timothys_monster

Yes. I tried that too. It's about the plugin. Just have a look at the pin connector with a proper sidechain-compressor like Molot:

As you can see the plugin delivers 4 inputs. InPhase only offers 2 - so just left/right channel.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #21
richie43

Quote:
Yes. I tried that too. It's about the plugin. Just have a look at the pin connector with a proper sidechain-compressor like Molot:

As you can see the plugin delivers 4 inputs. InPhase only offers 2 - so just left/right channel.
Yeah, I know... I looked at a few other plugins, I just thought I'd ask. PM the person in this thread that claimed to have it working. I'm curious now!
Old 09-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #22
timothys_monster

Did it. I just don't expect too much of sending a PM, since:

Quote:
Old 09-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #23
richie43

Quote:
Did it. I just don't expect too much of sending a PM, since:
No, the user with the giff.... camerondye.... He has been around since 2007 with thousands of posts.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #24
timothys_monster

Doh! Thanks, richie! I haven't read that he was also using InPhase. I thought he was just explaining the workflow in general. PM No. 2 sent
Old 09-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #25
camerondye

Sorry I just got the email telling me there are comments on this thread. I'm going to check on my computer if current versions of this work in Reaper or not before I comment.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #26
flanorelli

Default InPhase plug-in pin assignments

Yes, I am able to use the stereo instance of Waves InPhase to compare 2 mono tracks. Follow the instructions in cameron's gif, plus some new info on plugin connections below.

Here are my 'notes to self' that I refer to every time I need to use InPhase:

1. Place stereo version of InPhase on one of the tracks you want to compare (I'll call this the receiving track). This will be Ch 1 in the InPhase plugin.
2. On this receiving track, click the I/O, change track channels from 2 to 4.
3. Add new receive, and select the track you want to compare with (I'll call this the side-chain input, and will be Ch 2 in the InPhase plugin).
4. Change audio to 3/4: Audio: 1/2 -> 3/4
5. With the plug-in open, open the plugin pin connecter panel (labeled '2 in 2 out') button near the top.
6. VST In 1 should be 1.
7. Change VST In 2 to 3 (to receive the side-chain input) (see attached jpg if I uploaded it correctly)

So yes, the plugin only needs 2 inputs since you are comparing 2 mono tracks. The first input is the signal of the track the plugin is loaded on (Ch 1); the other input is the side-chain for the track you are comparing with (Ch 2).

Gosh, I hope all of that made sense. I seem to be able to get it to work, although I'm really not all that knowledgeable about what's going on under the hood.

Let me know if this works for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inphase.jpg (16.5 KB, 658 views)
Old 09-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #27
camerondye

-Make sure you are using the stereo version of InPhase
-make sure there is audio in both tracks (track with plugin, sidechain track)
-Follow the directions from above
-make sure the volume is at 0db on the send
-play the track and click on capture on the plugin and it should work

The plugin works exact. The other thing I would suggest is watch this video to make sure you are using the plugin correctly because if you are doing everything said above it should be working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FczN2YBLsrY
Old 09-24-2014, 01:26 AM   #28
timothys_monster

Thank you both so much for the quick response and helping me out!

I can get the plugin to work fine with 2 mono tracks now!

And now I know why I couldn't make it with 1 stereo and 1 mono track.

The usecase is the following:
I want to align a single snare mic to the stereo overheads.
(Waves claim that it's even possible to combine 2 stereo tracks.)
So I put everything as you told me to. But to have 2 stereo tracks available you have to change the channel mode in the plugin to "CH1/2 and SideCh".
When I do that, the plugin refers to the 3rd and 4th channel which do not exist, so no signal is coming to the Beta-channel.

So, sadly setting up sidechaining with Waves in Reaper is just a workaround.
It's because of the Waves plugins do not create 4 inputs - only 2 are possible.

I wonder how people are using sidechain compression with let's say the C1.
Maybe no one is using stereo sends?

Last edited by timothys_monster; 09-24-2014 at 01:54 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:19 AM   #29
nofish

Quote:
I wonder how people are using sidechain compression with let's say the C1.
Maybe no one is using stereo sends?
From what I've read I think proper external (stereo) sidechain is only supported via VST3 which Reaper doesn't have (yet ?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waves
Sidechain is supported on Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Nuendo, Cubase, Audition CS6, Sonar X3c and Studio One only.
http://www.waves.com/support/tech-specs/supported-hosts
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:29 AM   #30
timothys_monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
From what I've read I think proper external (stereo) sidechain is only supported via VST3 which Reaper doesn't have (yet ?)

http://www.waves.com/support/tech-specs/supported-hosts
Thanks! That explains everything
Old 10-07-2016, 08:03 AM   #31
Riinehart

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but are there any significant updates on this yet? Particularly being able to use InPhase to align stereo tracks with mono tracks (e.g., a stereo overhead with a mono snare track)?

If so, could anyone explain how to best do this in Reaper?

Many thanks!!
Riinehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:13 AM   #32
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riinehart View Post
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but are there any significant updates on this yet? Particularly being able to use InPhase to align stereo tracks with mono tracks (e.g., a stereo overhead with a mono snare track)?

If so, could anyone explain how to best do this in Reaper?

Many thanks!!
I don't own this plugin, but Reaper does support VST3 now. So maybe some of the info in this thread is more pertinent.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:26 AM   #33
Riinehart

Thanks, excited to try this out when I'm home this evening. Hope it works. I'll report back.

Anyone out there currently using InPhase with Reaper?
Old 10-07-2016, 03:38 PM   #34
Riinehart

Quote:
4. Change audio to 3/4: Audio: 1/2 -> 3/4
Can anyone clarify what Flanorelli means by Step #4, above?

Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind, it's the audio dialogue in the i/o box.

Last edited by Riinehart; 10-07-2016 at 03:42 PM. Reason: I'm slow.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:37 PM   #35
voidar

Bought the stinking inPhase plugin today.

Yes, you will need to load the VST3-version for 4-inputs.
voidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:00 PM   #36
grnprplOrngyllw

Quote:

This solves my issue. Wonderful!
Hi. I thought this had worked, but when I compared the resulting waveform of the processed track against the "sidechain" track, one of the waves becomes exactly alike. In other words... with this input configuration of the inphase, when you output it, you have erased one of the channels of the processed track and substitute it for the "sidechain" track signal. I dont like this. haha
Any thoughts?

Ok, I just tried VST3 and it works perfectly.

Last edited by grnprplOrngyllw; 03-19-2021 at 12:04 PM. Reason: VST3 works.
grnprplOrngyllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 05:56 AM   #37
tsm87

I know it's been almost 3 years. But I try to understand how to properly use InPhase in Reaper to compare 2 mono tracks. Should I use mono or stereo version of this plugin? They give completely different results. And I don't know what's right. What's the correct routing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (149.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (130.5 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by tsm87; 03-07-2024 at 06:01 AM.
tsm87 is offline   Reply With Quote