Old 08-05-2016, 08:23 PM   #1
Evangeline
Human being with feelings

Default How to extend a track??

Hello,
I can't for the life of me figure out this seemingly basic function, looked online for a long time too with no luck - for audio and/or midi tracks, if I want to make the section longer (not looping), how do I do this, without manually copy and pasting, which tends to be a messy process?
Thanks so much!
Evangeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:15 PM   #2
ashcat_lt

What exactly are you asking for? A Track in Reaper goes on pretty much forever. Items and Takes has finite lengths but pretty much completely depend on what you've recorded. If you want more of that, you either loop, copy, stretch, or record more.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:14 AM   #3
emid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
Hello,
I can't for the life of me figure out this seemingly basic function, looked online for a long time too with no luck - for audio and/or midi tracks, if I want to make the section longer (not looping), how do I do this, without manually copy and pasting, which tends to be a messy process?
Thanks so much!
Go to Preferences>Projects>Media items default
Uncheck "Loop source for new midi item" Or,
Uncheck anything else you are looking for and click apply>Ok
emid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:39 AM   #4
Sibben

For midi clips I find it easier to extend them in the pianoroll. Grab the right most edge and extend it as far as you like. A grey thick line will appear with notes after it. That's the loop point. Move that as well.

Attached Images
File Type: gif Extend clip.gif (57.6 KB, 1623 views)

Last edited by Sibben; 08-06-2016 at 07:50 AM.
Sibben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #5
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibben View Post
For midi clips I find it easier to extend them in the pianoroll. Grab the right most edge and extend it as far as you like. A grey thick line will appear with notes after it. That's the loop point. Move that as well.
That's the only way I know to extend a MIDI item, and there is really nothing like it for audio.

If this is actually what you're looking for, the quickest way in the arrange window is to add a blank item and then glue it to your existing item.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #6
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
If this is actually what you're looking for, the quickest way in the arrange window is to add a blank item and then glue it to your existing item.
Yes, there are ways to simply grab the end and extend it out, but there have been times that didn't work so well. It's really dependent on certain settings.

To play it safe, I just add an empty midi item on the end and then glue.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #7
Sibben

Perhaps. But if I'm in the piano roll in need of an extra bar glueing is a total flow breaker for me. Out of curiosity, what issues has there been?
Old 08-06-2016, 05:52 PM   #8
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibben View Post
Perhaps. But if I'm in the piano roll in need of an extra bar glueing is a total flow breaker for me. Out of curiosity, what issues has there been?
Hi Siggen, basically I've had problems with it either looping or other things that are hard to explain, because I'm not sure what happened. The thing is, I had these problems early on and didn't really pursue the reasons. Since I use full song midi items, it's seldom a problem. But when I want to extend a midi item I just add it at the end of the current item and glue it.

Using full song items, I'm seldom if ever in the midi editor when I want to do this and it doesn't happen often.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:28 AM   #9
emid

If I am getting you guys correctly, is it this? If so please refer to my first post.

emid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:37 AM   #10
xpander

What you are doing there is moving the MIDI item right edge both in Arrange and in MIDI Editor to make the item longer. I gather that is what was asked in OP about making "the section longer" and it is that simple. You'll have to have "loop source" unselected from the item properties, otherwise moving the edge will loop the original item instead. I have a button for the loop source option on my toolbar so I can switch quickly when needed. But I still also have Loop source for new midi items unchecked in preferences like you said in your post #2.

The thing to watch for is that you really are only moving the edge, not stretching the whole item with its contents...unless that is what you want. The mouse cursor and modifiers will be different for moving and stretching and you'll also see the playrate change on each item when you are stretching them.

Last edited by xpander; 08-07-2016 at 01:11 PM.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote