Old 07-28-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
Rangler
Human being with feelings

Default Is Kontakt worth $399?

Are the instruments professional quality enough for production?

So far I've scoured the web for free instruments that are Mac compatible, which are nowhere near the amount Windows users get.

The most I spent on a plugin was for RX Elements and a LA-2A-style compressor. The $ starts adding up for these software.
Rangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
EvilDragon

Well, the factory library has some usable stuff but it's a bit long in tooth... You basically get Kontakt so you could run other libraries, there is a myriad of them. Some of them are fine with the free Kontakt Player, for others, you need full Kontakt.

All depends what sort of instruments you need, so a bit more info about that would be helpful.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Well, the factory library has some usable stuff but it's a bit long in tooth... You basically get Kontakt so you could run other libraries, there is a myriad of them. Some of them are fine with the free Kontakt Player, for others, you need full Kontakt.

All depends what sort of instruments you need, so a bit more info about that would be helpful.
I've started getting little gigs for producing pop music for girls learning to sing. Think Katy Perry and Taylor Swift.

I have some free orchestra instruments that I've found online, and some drums & synths.

For my own music, I like doing all analog with IRL guitars and synths.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:43 PM   #4
Pinknoise

You dont have to buy full price. Install free Drummica in Kontakt and update from that for close to half price. Look around for free libraries see if there is anything you like. There is a lot of added value to Kontakt in the long run but if you only do electronics not so much.
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:37 PM   #5
msundh

No is isn't
Old 07-28-2017, 05:37 PM   #6
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinknoise View Post
You dont have to buy full price. Install free Drummica in Kontakt and update from that for close to half price. Look around for free libraries see if there is anything you like. There is a lot of added value to Kontakt in the long run but if you only do electronics not so much.
So I download Drummica and Kontakt Player then upgrade for $99? Is that how it works?
Old 07-28-2017, 05:44 PM   #7
Pinknoise

That low?? No I dont think so it will be more like 249$ or something.
There is a button or drop down menu on Drummica top left somewhere if I remember correctly. I had trouble finding it not obvious.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:53 PM   #8
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinknoise View Post
That low?? No I dont think so it will be more like 249$ or something.
There is a button or drop down menu on Drummica top left somewhere if I remember correctly. I had trouble finding it not obvious.
Cool, thanks. $249 makes it kind of reasonable, I guess. I wonder if it's better marketing to just release it for free and get paid through licensing. They could make it killing that way, just like iPhone apps. But what do I know about business crapola.

Last edited by Rangler; 07-28-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:07 PM   #9
Pinknoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
Cool, thanks. $249 makes is kind of reasonable, I guess. I wonder if it's better marketing to just release it for free and get paid through licensing. They could make it killing that way, just like iPhone apps. But what do I know about business crapola.
Its kinda weird I agree! Every plugin junkee knows the trick but newcomers how would they know! Also there are half price sales during the year.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:39 PM   #10
EpicSounds

I got it for $125 two-three weeks ago with their half price upgrade sale. Just missed it dude
Old 07-28-2017, 07:44 PM   #11
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
I got it for $125 two-three weeks ago with their half price upgrade sale. Just missed it dude
So was it worth it?
Old 07-28-2017, 09:04 PM   #12
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
So was it worth it?
The thing about Kontakt is that even though the library isn't the greatest, it still has a lot to offer. I've had Kontakt since Kontakt 2, and I still use parts of the library.

The thing about Kontakt is it's kind of a stepping stone and has many paths. It all depends on how you want to use it. It's definitely the best sampler on the market and has a great users base.

Back in 2005 some friends and I decided to put an orchestra library together. At that time it was Giga Studio I think that was the main sampler on the market. However, Kontakt 2 came out at the same time and we opted for Kontakt, and I'm so glad we did. It has become the most important piece of software I've ever owned. Heh heh, Reaper would come 2nd.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:02 AM   #13
zookthespook

NI has been pushing most customers to buy komplete vs individual software. kontatk @399 usd in which case always feels steep . it is a one time burn if u buy komplete but as a producer it is worth it. Producers who like to indulge in diverse pallette of sounds would find NI products as bread and butter synths.i believe NI is an investment and worth every penny spent.
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 02:07 AM   #14
ivansc

I bought in at version 3 of Kontakt. I also have a couple of their own libraries but I mostly bought it for access to thing like Chris Hein Horns and really off-the-wall stuff like the Front Porch Tuba.
And I too waited for one of their mega sales, as I do with every update.

One thing you could do is what I did, download the free Kontat player including the free library which is a decent sample of the full thing. Play with it for a while and see how you like it.
The one downside to that is that instruments that are not officially registered with NI by their developers will only work in demo mode in the player. It is not cheap to register a library with NI, so many developers of really good instrument rely on you having the full version, where their stuff WILL work without interruptions.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:17 AM   #15
stratman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookthespook View Post
NI has been pushing most customers to buy komplete vs individual software. kontatk @399 usd in which case always feels steep . it is a one time burn if u buy komplete but as a producer it is worth it. Producers who like to indulge in diverse pallette of sounds would find NI products as bread and butter synths.i believe NI is an investment and worth every penny spent.
I'd agree that (depending on your needs and if you can stretch to it) it makes sense to go for Komplete which includes Kontakt plus a lot more for your money.
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:48 AM   #16
EpicSounds

yes because
- can load any kontakt library, not just the "Powered by Kontakt" licensed ones
- can make my own libraries to sell
- can do things with layers and groups that is not possible with Reaper's sampler
Old 07-30-2017, 12:42 AM   #17
mikeroephonics

It depends on what kinds of sounds you want to use. If you want super-realistic sounds such as acoustic instruments (orchestral, guitars, choirs), then it's really nice but you may need to look outside the Kontakt factory library to get what you want/need.

I bought Kontakt for $199 when it was half off about 5-ish years ago. NI usually has a big sale at least once a year, so you may wish to wait it out if you end up wanting to get it.

I primarily use Kontakt for playing my older Vienna Symphonic Library 'Horizon Series' sample libraries because Tascam abandoned GigaStudio a scant 3 years after they acquired NemeSys (Thanks, Tascam!) Additionally, I can confidently recommend the company Sonic Couture who make REALLY nice native Kontakt sample libraries.

It really comes down to what sounds you want to use and perhaps waiting it out for another NI sale.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:03 AM   #18
spintonik

I would not pay USD 399 from Kontakt - especially as sounds are getting old and free player works well enough with all sound sets.

However, IMHO Complete -kits, with Kontakt included, are great value for money.

If I were you, I would add USD 200 and get Komplete - get 44 additional products, with very broad selection of sounds. It'll save you in long term, as you can use those included instruments instead of buying a 3rd party library, about USD 49 each.

Myself, I own Maschine, I love the additional extras that came with it.

-Mikko
spintonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:36 AM   #19
Pinknoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by spintonik View Post
I would not pay USD 399 from Kontakt - especially as sounds are getting old and free player works well enough with all sound sets.

However, IMHO Complete -kits, with Kontakt included, are great value for money.

If I were you, I would add USD 200 and get Komplete - get 44 additional products, with very broad selection of sounds. It'll save you in long term, as you can use those included instruments instead of buying a 3rd party library, about USD 49 each.

Myself, I own Maschine, I love the additional extras that came with it.

-Mikko
That and also, even if you just buy Kontakt like I did at 50% off, you can still wait for a 50% off upgrade to Komplete.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:19 AM   #20
Softsynth

I'm another one here that bought Kontakt 5 in the 50% off Summer sale as a reduced price "crossgrade" (NI marketing term) from Sennheiser's freebie Drum Mica.
That combination made it £104 boxed and delivered in UK. I understand US users even got it for around $99 in Summer/Drum Mica sale, this was in 2014 though.

I wouldn't buy large sample programs if they are not physical product. My 2mbit broadband isn't remotely up to it, and I like physical product anyway.

If you cannot find it in 50% off sales then another option is to look for slightly old versions of Komplete (8-9-10) on eBay, rather than paying full whack for Kontakt5 alone.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:25 AM   #21
G-Sun

Just like having an sm57, the Kontakt vsti is sort of mandatory if you're in the studio-business for some time.
Oh.. I don't have an sm57
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote