Old 03-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #401
airon
Human being with feelings

Yeah, works fine now. No more multiple shortcuts for the same thing either any longer.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #402
BenK-msx

man i go and do stuff in the real world for a day to return to scarily cool new stuff...

thanks to 'the fixer' Tim and to Adam for the brainwave,

must try.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:14 PM   #403
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
man i go and do stuff in the real world for a day to return to scarily cool new stuff...

thanks to 'the fixer' Tim and to Adam for the brainwave,

must try.
Yeah, many thanks to Adam for bringing this to the table in the right moment. Back in v2 era nobody supported this idea, just Tallisman and Tim but back then it was a MAJOR pain via extensions and the amount of people asking for it was not enough to make Tim go through all the hassle so we forgot about it completely and waited for a native solution. Tim said it is possible now because Justin added something to the API in v3.4 so yeah, thanks to Adam for bringing this to the table in the right moment (deja vu?)
Old 03-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #404
BenK-msx

of course - like all good ideas its no doubt cropped up before, but you do need the planetry alignments in your favour too!

just played around and seems cool, though definately needs selection and loop points unlinked which feels v. alien, so an extra 'toggle loop locking' key assignment close by may be handy for me!

one thing i've noticed is that selecting 'just time' (no items) is quite a tricky task particularly if you don't have labels above items showing or empty tracks.

any way to make that easier?

also i find the new cut and split actions work better/quicker for me if its part of a macro that has 'remove time selection (keeping loop points)' after the cut or split command - as then you can return/switch to cursor focused edits quickly without manually removing the selection.
might be nice to include that as part of the action but is no big deal to make a macro and of course this assumes you have gone headlong into unlinking selection and loop points.

can't really see a way of using them with them linked.

cool tho!
Old 03-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #405
sws
Code Monkey

Really? Works just fine with them linked, especially since you can still work on items outside the selection normally. (Just ask Mercado_Negro)
sws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #406
Mercado_Negro

Now that I see these new actions were possible I remember some other actions some of us wanted in the past (drew was one of us).

Move items/tracks/env points up (depending on focus)
Move items/tracks/env points down (depending on focus)
Move items/env points left (depending on focus)
Move items/env points right (depending on focus)

Here you can see a video where I used like 8 keys (Note I didn't move tracks in that video, which would have made me use like 12 different commands/keys):

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/836714/...tsMovement.gif

So how would these action work?

Move items/tracks/env points up (depending on focus)
Move items/tracks/env points down (depending on focus)

If items are selected, move them up or down one track (just like "Move items up/down one track" do right now).
If env points are selected, move them up or down a bit (just like "Move selected points down/up a little bit" do, -currently available only in 3.41pre versions).
If tracks are selected, move them up/down one track (this one could be tricky because there's no way to move tracks up/down with actions)

Move items/env points left (depending on focus)
Move items/env points right (depending on focus)

If items are selected, move them to the left/right a bit (just like "Move items left/right" do right now).
If env points are selected, move them left/right a bit (juts like "Move selected point sleft/right a little bit" do right now, -currently available only in 3.41pre versions).

This 4 actions will save us 6 more assignments: 4 for items, 4 for env points and 2 for tracks. Less shorcuts to remember.

What do you think Tim? Is this even possible? I'll start an Issue in your googlesite if you think it is.

Do some of you guys find this useful?
Old 03-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #407
EvilDragon

I find it extremely useful! We need to find more such actions which could be context sensitive, because Justin added a new API that returns several values depending on the active surface (track, item, envelope, unrecognized).
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #408
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
of course - like all good ideas its no doubt cropped up before, but you do need the planetry alignments in your favour too!

just played around and seems cool, though definately needs selection and loop points unlinked which feels v. alien, so an extra 'toggle loop locking' key assignment close by may be handy for me!

one thing i've noticed is that selecting 'just time' (no items) is quite a tricky task particularly if you don't have labels above items showing or empty tracks.

any way to make that easier?

also i find the new cut and split actions work better/quicker for me if its part of a macro that has 'remove time selection (keeping loop points)' after the cut or split command - as then you can return/switch to cursor focused edits quickly without manually removing the selection.
might be nice to include that as part of the action but is no big deal to make a macro and of course this assumes you have gone headlong into unlinking selection and loop points.

can't really see a way of using them with them linked.

cool tho!
Weird. All actions are working perfectly here: in or out of the time selection. Did you actually assign keys to those actions or are you running them from the action list? If you're running them from the action list it won't work because they are focus dependent and in that case the action list has the focus.

Last edited by Mercado_Negro; 03-28-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Mercado_Negro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #409
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws View Post
Really? Works just fine with them linked, especially since you can still work on items outside the selection normally. (Just ask Mercado_Negro)
tbh i guess it is better now i have the 'remove selection' (not loop points) involved. need to get used to it some more before being sure,

sorry to confuse anyone - i really meant not really 'workflow' enhancing for me with loopoints linked, not as in broken. its all ok!

the main issue for me is when an item extends into the time selection (often) - you obviously can't split at the cursor outside selection on that item, which is a bit unusual. and seems very hard to resolve/nay impossible with one action -

so how about something like this? (bit wild):

normally you would want to split/act at the cursor just after moving the cursor,
so somehow check if the cursor has moved since the creation of the time selection - if not its likely you want to apply to selectio, if it has, apply to cursor -

basically - last moved gets priority

edit: this would only be in the event of the edit cursor and time selection residing over the same item, to see who wins.

is that feasable?

Last edited by BenK-msx; 03-28-2010 at 04:39 PM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #410
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
tbh i guess it is better now i have the 'remove selection' (not loop points) involved. need to get used to it some more before being sure,

sorry to confuse anyone - i really meant not really 'workflow' enhancing for me with loopoints linked, not as in broken. its all ok!

the main issue for me is when an item extends into the time selection (often) - you obviously can't split at the cursor, which is a bit unusual. and seems very hard to resolve/nay impossible with one action -

so how about something like this? (bit wild):

normally you would want to split/act at the cursor just after moving the cursor,
so if the action could 'check' if the edit cursor has changed position recently say within a (choosable) timescale -
e.g if cursor has not moved in the last X seconds then apply to selection, if it has then apply to edit cursor. OR somehow (told you it was wild) check if the cursor has moved since the creation of the time selection - if not its likely you want to apply to selectio, if it has, apply to cursor -
basically - last moved gets priority
edit: this would only be in the event of the edit cursor and time selection residing over the same item, to see who wins.

is that feasable?
Wow that would be wild but I agree it'd be useful in some situations.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #411
AdamWathan

I am not really opposed to that functionality really but it seems like an unnecessarily complicated condition to fill that would probably create more problems then it solves.

I think it works good enough as is to tide us over until proper area selection is implemented. If you run into an odd scenario where you need to copy a whole item which is half in/half out the time selection AND you need to retain that time selection, just map "Copy item" to another key command like we've all been doing for years and copy it the old way independent of the selection. I think in practice you will find that that situation probably only actually comes up once every 100 projects though.
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #412
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
If you run into an odd scenario where you need to copy a whole item which is half in/half out the time selection AND you need to retain that time selection, just map "Copy item" to another key command like we've all been doing for years and copy it the old way independent of the selection.
Not even necessary. Just Ctrl+drag the item and it will be copied
Old 03-28-2010, 06:03 PM   #413
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Not even necessary. Just Ctrl+drag the item and it will be copied
True! Unless you have that setup to ignore grouping instead of copying
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:51 PM   #414
BenK-msx

indeed, i see the benefit of this in the most common used activities, for me split and copy, (where ctrl-drag does a good), but mostly split, though of course with use i may see the wider benefits -

with split, its so used that the expected behaviour not working because that item has a time selection on it is indeed odd, and also very common, in which case the benefits of the system are reduced and you're likely back to 2 actions.
auto-removing the selection in a macro does help most of my initial reservations with it btw.

so was just thinking aloud on how to get it to work in that particular case, hence the last moved (cursor or selection) having priority idea.

it is all shiny and new against 'old habits' at the moment so some time to give it a work out is the best way to judge whether i employ it. good to have though of course.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:54 PM   #415
mabian

Quote:
Done, in v1.6.2 #11 there's new actions:

SWS: Unselect all items/tracks/env points (depending on focus)
SWS: Unselect all items/tracks/env points

The first calls the appropriate built in action depending on focus, the second just "blindly" calls all three.

You guys gotta keep giving me "easy" things to do!
Thanks!!!

Those little things...

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:47 AM   #416
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffos View Post
Added window actions:
- Float FX n window for selected track(s)
where n is in [1; 8]. Also, before someone asks for it, please note that I'm unable to un-float FX windows
I wondered if it's possible to pass (and update) the name of the actual FX used in slots 1-8, so we could make a context menu eg rightclicking on TCP:

open FX 1 (Olga)
open FX 2 (ReaEq)

I'm asking because in huge projects I sometimes forget in which order I have FX without looking at the mixer.

Last edited by nofish; 03-29-2010 at 09:56 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #417
sws
Code Monkey

Just posted v1.7.0 #1 with Padre_PC's LFO generator included! Enjoy.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:23 AM   #418
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Just posted v1.7.0 #1 with Padre_PC's LFO generator included! Enjoy.
Great news! Extensions team is getting bigger and better, THANKS Y'ALL!
Old 03-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #419
Jae.Thomas

great stuff people
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:52 PM   #420
tweed

FX actions for LIVE: now possible -- most likely

lots of people are using REAPER live. I was hoping to have the creative process mostly void of too much thinking while creating sounds. Track templates the best way I've found. Then there's the loading them practically requirement.

Have done a few 100 hours at least in the past 2 or so years lookin'/tryin' for what would be superior for LIVE with JUST REAPER. So it was amazingly calming and of course the exact opposite reading the recent FX load additions.

ie. be able to create and save QUICKLY track templates (like splashing paint on a canvas - which IS possible:)) and then access large numbers of track templates (or change out the FX INSIDE the track) while/and loading without audio artifact glitches.

Lotsa cool 'almosts' and "whoa, that's really great".... yet, ultimately I concluded (for me) the gottchas were still there. Love to have been in error of course, and I got tons of great pointers from the gurus around here.

So: latest SWS now seems:--
The FX load stuff for LIVE appears to be the, uh, be! I'll be falling over when I get to test out I expect. Not been able to get to SWS/Reaper LIVE thinking for several weeks. Astonishment and gratitude.

Last edited by tweed; 03-30-2010 at 03:48 PM.
tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:56 PM   #421
Xplora

Is this the place to log feature requests?

I've just spent a few hours trying to create a tempo track for one of my longer tunes, and would really appreciate a "marker list" for the time signatures. Some of us use a lot of changes, and it would be very useful to have a list of them. If we were able to copy and paste them in regions that would be great too, but I think that's something for native development.
Xplora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:45 AM   #422
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplora View Post
Is this the place to log feature requests?
Nope, this place is: http://code.google.com/p/sws-extension/

Register, and you can post FRs there, which will then be tracked. Plus, you're in direct contact with Tim and the lot there.

Unfortunately, Tim said that Markerlist cannot show tempo markers. It sounds like something that Cockos needs to write a new API for.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:47 PM   #423
Xplora

Quote:
Nope, this place is: http://code.google.com/p/sws-extension/

Register, and you can post FRs there, which will then be tracked. Plus, you're in direct contact with Tim and the lot there.

Unfortunately, Tim said that Markerlist cannot show tempo markers. It sounds like something that Cockos needs to write a new API for.
I find it continually amusing how limiting programming can be; you come up with an idea, you implement it, but when you need to expand on the idea, it suddenly becomes clear that your original idea isn't enough to do it all. IMO, I think a solution API wise would be to make the Marker able to change time signature, tempo, as well as labels with comments. Right now, the time sigs and markers aren't the same thing, even though they look identical
Xplora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:58 AM   #424
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplora View Post
Right now, the time sigs and markers aren't the same thing, even though they look identical
Except you can color or them differently so they stand out apart as slightly different.

And programming isn't really limiting, it's the API that's limited in that regard. If Justin & Co. program an API that would make it possible to deal with time sig/tempo change markers, rest assured that Tim would introduce them in Markerlist!
Old 04-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #425
Gelic

Default So very grateful - thank you.

Hello Tim/SWS,

I know you invested countless hours and resources into the SWS extensions. They are AMAZING and unbearably useful and wonderful.

You've helped so many people and although I just now installed them, already they have changed the way I work, speeding everything up, especially with the auto rename functions.

Actually, I just looked for a way to rename not only the takes automatically but also the .wav files on disk...I didn't find that but I just found the "LOOP AND PLAY SELECTED TAKES!!!!" This is the Holy Grail for me...the equivalent of Cubase hitting the P key - and my MAIN TOOL!!!! Reaper is about 700% times more useful now!!! I hereby pronounce blessings and every wonderful thing upon you :-) Thank you again Tim...may God bless you now and 10,000 years from now.

Love,
Me
FireLightChurch
Gelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #426
captain caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelic View Post
...the equivalent of Cubase hitting the P key...
I don't mean to piss on the fire or anything, but the equivalent to the "P - Locators to Selection" key in Cubase is the action "Loop points: set loop points to selected items". Pressing P in Cubase doesn't play anything.

Apart from that you are right to be excited about the extensions in Reaper.
captain caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #427
egoplasma

Default Question for SWS v1.7.1 #2 (April 3, 2010)

Hi Jeffos,
thanks for the addition to the new SWS-Extension.
The action "Toggle show FX chain window(s) for selected track(s)" is the one I´m asking for, but it doesn´t work as I expected. The action works only when the main window has focus. Is it possible to toggle the fx chain window when it has the focus (is active)?
When I do my edits to the plug-ins, the fx chain window has focus. After my edits I want to close it with the same key. I use no plug-in floating windows, all plug-ins are in the fx-chain window. I´ve tried several other actions in combination to do this, but they didn´t do what I want. Can you look at it, please? Merci!
egoplasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #428
sws
Code Monkey

egoplasma - what key are you binding to that command? Some keys are always passed to plugins, there's nothing we can really do about that. Try picking a key binding that's somewhat obscure, Ctrl-Alt-D or something, then it'll work.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #429
egoplasma

It´s the key Y (German keyboard layout). I will try another key or combination. Thanks for your answer! And fyi something strange happens when I use the key A with some of your actions. Sometimes the FX-Add dialogue jumps up. But it´s not assigned! Mhmm!
Old 04-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #430
egoplasma

Default It works

Yeah this was the clue. I´ve binded the action to F1. Thank you so much. This action is a real timesaver for me. Good to know, when i have problem with some action I´ll check another key.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #431
Jeffos
Mortal

SWS extensions update v1.7.1 #2 (April 3, 2010)

Tim updates:
- fixes for "Select next/prev track(s)", marker list selection
- Added actions:
• Metronome enable/disable

Jeffos updates: fixes and..
- Better behavior for "Build lane(s) for selected track(s)", see bellow
- Added actions:
• Remove empty MIDI take/item(s) among selected item(s)
This action removes empty MIDI takes/items, or MIDI takes/items limited to a single "All notes off" event (CC123)
• Remove ALL empty take/item(s) among selected item(s)
This action removes empty MIDI takes/items as well as takes/items without source, i.e. equals "Remove empty source take/item(s)" + "Remove empty MIDI take/item(s)"
• Move active take up (cycling) in selected item(s)
• Move active take down (cycling) in selected item(s)
WIN ONLY:
• Close all floating FX window(s)
• Close all FX chain window(s)
note: also closes "add fx" window
• Toggle show FX chain window(s) for selected track(s)

______

ok, I've re-worked the "Build lane" action.

1) With external source files: "lanes" should now be always consistent whatever are take lengths, recording order, etc..

Crazy non-sense example mixing audio and (looped) midi takes:

=> "mess" after a recording session:

=> build lanes:

note: réaLisé sans trucage!

2) With in-project items: remains as before, best effort. That is to say: only the correct number of "lanes" is created, but the position of items within lanes is not always ensured. Though, it should be ok when re-recording or record looping over longer takes. New actions "Move active take (and only the active take) up/down" can help about that.

3) With mix of in-project items and items with ext. source files: best effort for in-project, while other lanes are always consistent.

what we mainly do here with these take actions: build lanes, tag bad takes (that really don't need to be re-listened to) with "Clear active take(s)/item(s)". Also after MIDI edition or recording (with the well-known auto splits), we clean the arrange with "Remove empty MIDI take/item(s)" but note that "Remove empty source take/item(s)" is an 'undo' for the "build lane" action.

I hope it's clear now.. Adam, captain !?
I've also a bit renamed these actions with better wordings (well I hope..)
____

@lawrs: close all floating fx windows is now OK

@egoplasma: I hope it's clear for you about key shortcuts now about the funky "add dlg": yeah, the "close fx chain action' also closes the "add fx" dlg, but "toggle show fx chain action" applies to it too ! fixed soon.

@tweed: some stuff for live perfs coming soon !

Last edited by Jeffos; 04-03-2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: details, english but some french too
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #432
egoplasma

Default Merci!

Hey Jeffos, here in Germany we say: "Alles ist wunderbar, besonders die SWS-Extensions" - Thank you!
Old 04-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #433
rictheobscene

Outstanding work.
rictheobscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:35 AM   #434
Mudchild

Hmm, build lanes - that's good juju! Anything to get around the chaos of auto-split... Seems to be working well, lines everything back up, eh?

However, after performing this command, I then expected to be able to use the 'heal splits' command to join everything back up, which would be supergood, but this doesn't seem to want to happen. Why would this be?
Mudchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:04 AM   #435
Subz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffos View Post
- Added actions:
• Metronome enable/disable
how is this different to the native Toggle Metronome on/off?

if i may ask

thanks for the updates

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:06 AM   #436
EvilDragon

They are different in that they are not toggle actions.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:09 AM   #437
Subz

Quote:
They are different in that they are not toggle actions.
ahh,

Ummmm,

so the new action is 2 separate actions? (cant test till later )

where would this be useful?

excuse my small mind

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:17 AM   #438
onewayout

Hey Guys, this might have been mentioned before...But what about duplicating several trks to record our takes on and then we have a clear path for comping?

Not trying to step on anyones toes and Jeffos is working hard on this....But this might be an easy workaround so as to keep the workflow moving.....??
onewayout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:10 AM   #439
pixeltarian

I think "show/hide inline editor" would be a nice toggle action. then I could toggle vertical zoom and edit modes at once. who's with me?
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:22 AM   #440
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
I think "show/hide inline editor" would be a nice toggle action. then I could toggle vertical zoom and edit modes at once. who's with me?
Me. :P