Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-20-2009, 08:03 AM   #1
aaron1
Human being with feelings

Default Can use reason via rewire and VST's at the same time?

I loaded up Reason 4 via rewire in reaper. Then I loaded up a VST. When I played the VST Reason 4's Thor played at the same time. Is their a way I can use both at the same time?
aaron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
SiKo

Default sure thing... and check out this track template

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR THE TEMPLATE, YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT PLACE!
The links to the template (reaper track template) and reason rack song file (.rns):

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...0&postcount=16

Rewire doesn't show up in Reaper?
Follow this link

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron1 View Post
I loaded up Reason 4 via rewire in reaper. Then I loaded up a VST. When I played the VST Reason 4's Thor played at the same time. Is their a way I can use both at the same time?
Try to un-arm the tracks you don't want to play back when you hit your midi-keyboard. (As I understand you DON'T want them to play at the same time?!)

It is of course possible to play more than one instrument at the same time as you found out.
You do this by arming the tracks you want to respond to midi events coming from a (virtual) midi keyboard.

Find more explanation click here

More questions, examples: shoot

Last edited by SiKo; 11-04-2009 at 05:27 AM. Reason: update 200900806
SiKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
Eyeris

Default thanks

Really..... thanks man!!!!
Eyeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
WavestormDJ

Default Many thanks!

Thank you very much for sharing such a useful item! Everything works fine from template+rns, but i can't do it myself. I route Reson the same way, but i cannot see the channels, only 1 and 2 channels are seen.

Here is what it looks like:

Thank you for help!
WavestormDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
SiKo

That picture is killing the PC i'm using right now, but I think I get the point.

Try to increase the number of channels of the track that is hosting the rewire effect.

HTH
Old 10-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
Chris Ihao

Great template man. This helped me get to grips with the routing in Reaper by having a concrete example to work with. Thanks for sharing.

(Now, if only midi buses are introduced in Reaper as well, then I can finally rest assured that my routing needs are covered for the rest of eternity.)
Chris Ihao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:04 AM   #7
SiKo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ihao View Post
Great template man. This helped me get to grips with the routing in Reaper by having a concrete example to work with. Thanks for sharing.

(Now, if only midi buses are introduced in Reaper as well, then I can finally rest assured that my routing needs are covered for the rest of eternity.)
There is a way to send with more than 16 channels to rewire, using midiyoke and configuring in reason to listen to midiyoke as incoming midi...

check out this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ghlight=rewire

I might do an advanced template with description on setting things up in reaper and reason (as both need some extra config besides the template to make things work).

HTH
Old 10-14-2009, 07:17 AM   #8
Chris Ihao

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKo View Post
There is a way to send with more than 16 channels to rewire, using midiyoke and configuring in reason to listen to midiyoke as incoming midi...

check out this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ghlight=rewire

I might do an advanced template with description on setting things up in reaper and reason (as both need some extra config besides the template to make things work).

HTH
Ok. Thanks for the link. Like you say yourself though, it would be better to have native support. I've used midi yoke and similar alternatives before, and in my experience its sometimes a bit buggy.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #9
Chris Ihao

Dont know if you know the app "LoopBe1" SiKo, but it basically does the same thing as midiyoke. http://nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html. This link is to the free 1 port version (which is probably enough for me), but they also have a pay for program which has up to 30 ports. This should be quite a bit more recent than midiyoke, and also supports 64 bits systems, where we all probably will end up sooner or later (I miss the extra ram:-/).

Anyways, just wanted to notice you in case you didnt know about this app. I couldnt select less than 8 midiyoke ports on my vista install (I couldnt find a way to select at all), and thats why I went to look for alternatives. 8 extra ports clutter up the midi selection screens in my opinion.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #10
SiKo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ihao View Post
Dont know if you know the app "LoopBe1" SiKo, but it basically does the same thing as midiyoke. http://nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html. This link is to the free 1 port version (which is probably enough for me), but they also have a pay for program which has up to 30 ports. This should be quite a bit more recent than midiyoke, and also supports 64 bits systems, where we all probably will end up sooner or later (I miss the extra ram:-/).

Anyways, just wanted to notice you in case you didnt know about this app. I couldnt select less than 8 midiyoke ports on my vista install (I couldnt find a way to select at all), and thats why I went to look for alternatives. 8 extra ports clutter up the midi selection screens in my opinion.
Thanks for the pointer. Nice to hear they have an uncrippled, yet cut down version of the driver! Gonna check that out for sure.

In Reaper you only choose which device you want to enable, so clutter is only once (initial preferences), never again in routing (main app use). But for 64 bit LoopBe1 might be a better choice, as it is developed for 64 bit.

cheers!