Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 06-12-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Default REAPER and Linux hub

Here are the formerly (actual and should have been) "sticky" REAPER+Linux threads:

Reaper installer for Linux

Reaper with Linux / WineAsio

Remix_OS - new Linux distro for REAPER

"How to run Reaper in Wine on Linux" Wiki page (under construction, please help completing it!)

If you know of other threads/"must read" resources that a new REAPER tinfoilhat should see at this particular place, please add them!

Last edited by Ollie; 06-12-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

I just created a wiki page on the subject at: http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.ph..._Wine_on_Linux

Please help me make it a good resource!
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
corazon

Excellence!
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
abique

I'm running Reaper with wine in 64 bits mode, using WASAPI as audio backend, and I enjoy excellent performances. I recommand it over 32bit Reaper/WineASIO.
(Archlinux, wine 1.7)
abique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:12 AM   #5
Nystagmus

EDIT: [deleted old post because i got most everything working; no need to complain anymore]

SUMMARY:

Ubuntu Studio Linux v1404 is workable for use with Reaper v462 on Wine v162 using PulseAudio and WASAPI in Reaper instead of WineASIO or whatnot. I use a buffer size of 960 samples which is nearly exactly 21 milliseconds long. For MIDI input that's not too fast, it works. I like Ubuntu Studio enough that I erased everything from Windows that I don't need and saved the rest for Wine to use. It's also useful for other portable applications like Foobar2000, Music Cube One, and with work, FL Studio is useable as well. VSTs and VSTi's mostly work in REAPER. Some specific preferences need to be setup in REAPER, but as this is eventually documented, or at least accomplished by educated guesses, it turns REAPER into a contender on Linux with Wine. MIDI and Audio Interface hardware for my setup worked really well. (ZOOM R8 USB MIDI Control Surface/Interface, Alesis M1 Active 320 USB Speakers/Interface, Alesis Q49 USB MIDI Keyboard)

It will be interesting to see what happens when WineASIO is updated in a fashion that is compatible with the modern and current Ubuntu Studio. PulseAudio is good enough, even on a Core2Duo 2.4 GHz Dual CPU, but WineASIO could possibly do better for latency if the bugs get worked out.

Puppy Studio 4 wasn't quite worth it because it's out of date for softwares, but it was a good learning experience and it shows what WineASIO looks like installed.

EDIT: Somebody recently told me Puppy Studio has an updated version, but it's payware.

Last edited by Nystagmus; 08-08-2014 at 02:17 PM. Reason: enough complaining, better to document the successes
Nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:01 AM   #6
Nystagmus

Default Reaper working with Ubuntu v1404

ok better news now... I got reaper working in wine with pulseaudio and wasapi inside reaper prefs without wineasio. Midi input from an alesis q49 works and audio output to an alesis m1 active 320 usb works. The wasapi buffer is 2 buffers and 960 samples at about 20 milliseconds latency. This is an improvement over puppy studio 4 because it's more stable and runs a newer version of reaper (v462 instead of v4611). Also ubuntu studio is supported while puppy studio seems like near vaporware. VST(i)'s work also. I had some trouble installing ubuntu but that was my partition and bootloader issue.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
Nystagmus

Default WineASIO on Ubuntu Studio v1404 ?

Does anybody know how WineASIO is on Ubuntu Studio v1404? And how did you install it? How did that go?
Old 06-18-2014, 06:13 AM   #8
SmoothBro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
Does anybody know how WineASIO is on Ubuntu Studio v1404? And how did you install it? How did that go?
You should add the KXStudio repositories to your Ubuntu Studio and install wineasio. After that, disable the KXStudio repositories or the update manager will keep nagging you about updating all of your other apps. So far, my system is running well.
SmoothBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
Nystagmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBro View Post
You should add the KXStudio repositories to your Ubuntu Studio and install wineasio. After that, disable the KXStudio repositories or the update manager will keep nagging you about updating all of your other apps. So far, my system is running well.

Thanks so much. Did you have to manually install WineASIO or is it included in the KXStudio repositories? Reason why I ask is that I once looked through the KXStudio repository list for WineASIO as was mentioned on a different forum and it wasn't there. And most of the stuff I see online about WineASIO is several years old now. Maybe it's vaporware?
Old 06-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #10
SmoothBro

Quote:
Thanks so much. Did you have to manually install WineASIO or is it included in the KXStudio repositories? Reason why I ask is that I once looked through the KXStudio repository list for WineASIO as was mentioned on a different forum and it wasn't there. And most of the stuff I see online about WineASIO is several years old now. Maybe it's vaporware?
I believe it's included in the repositories. But you are correct, the version is now pretty old. I haven't seen any updates to it for a while now. I think it's version WineAsio 090. I also have a wineasio.deb saved on my drive.

If you go to Linuxmusicians.com, you can ask on the KXStudio website.

EDIT: I did some checking around the KX site and found my way to here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kxst...les/DEBs/repo/
wineasio is in here. Just download and install. Don't forget to register it.

Last edited by SmoothBro; 06-18-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:31 PM   #11
Nystagmus

Quote:
I believe it's included in the repositories. But you are correct, the version is now pretty old. I haven't seen any updates to it for a while now. I think it's version WineAsio 090. I also have a wineasio.deb saved on my drive.

If you go to Linuxmusicians.com, you can ask on the KXStudio website.

EDIT: I did some checking around the KX site and found my way to here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kxst...les/DEBs/repo/
wineasio is in here. Just download and install. Don't forget to register it.
Thanks for that WineASIO deb archive. I couldn't seem to find it before. I appreciate your help much. Peace

EDIT: Wow that was a very easy install! Download, install, "regsvr32 wineasio.dll" from a console window. You totally rock. Everywhere else was just really complex instructions dating back several years.

Last edited by Nystagmus; 06-20-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:00 AM   #12
Jack Winter

Quote:
Thanks for that WineASIO deb archive. I couldn't seem to find it before. I appreciate your help much. Peace

EDIT: Wow that was a very easy install! Download, install, "regsvr32 wineasio.dll" from a console window. You totally rock. Everywhere else was just really complex instructions dating back several years.
There is also wineasio available for 64b reaper, I've been running it for several years now.. When installed from the kxstudio repos, you need to run "wine64 regsvr32 wineasio.dll" to register it in a 64b wine prefix.

The reason that the source code is a couple of years old, is the fact that it seems to work and there aren't really any bugs (that I'm aware of)... I am the most recent author / (lazy) maintainer of wineasio, so I'd really appreciate to know about any eventual bugs.

I agree that installation is more than fiddly, but that is due to the licensing that steinberg has put on the asio.h file which means that most distros don't provide a binary for it. Archlinux has it in a third party repo, and kxstudio seems to provide it for many debian derrived distros.

You might also be interested in the wine-rt patch that I wrote, that is available on https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...t-101107.patch, it allows reaper to change priority class and level of it's audio threads when running under wine/linux, and does somewhat help with xruns.

There is another patch for a problem with the save-as dialog, it's on: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ndex-fix.patch
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)

Last edited by Jack Winter; 06-21-2014 at 04:04 AM. Reason: add link to: wine-ifiledialog-filetypeindex-fix.patch
Old 06-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #13
Nystagmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
There is also wineasio available for 64b reaper, I've been running it for several years now.. When installed from the kxstudio repos, you need to run "wine64 regsvr32 wineasio.dll" to register it in a 64b wine prefix.

The reason that the source code is a couple of years old, is the fact that it seems to work and there aren't really any bugs (that I'm aware of)... I am the most recent author / (lazy) maintainer of wineasio, so I'd really appreciate to know about any eventual bugs.

I agree that installation is more than fiddly, but that is due to the licensing that steinberg has put on the asio.h file which means that most distros don't provide a binary for it. Archlinux has it in a third party repo, and kxstudio seems to provide it for many debian derrived distros.

You might also be interested in the wine-rt patch that I wrote, that is available on https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...t-101107.patch, it allows reaper to change priority class and level of it's audio threads when running under wine/linux, and does somewhat help with xruns.

There is another patch for a problem with the save-as dialog, it's on: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ndex-fix.patch
Thanks so much, Jack. I really appreciate the hard work you've done on such an amazing project and your help also. I think successes such as yours with these softwares are the type of software successes that are incrementally putting Linux ahead of the entire game. One by one, all of the minor issues with Linux are being fixed and making it much more accomplished and competitive for people in pro audio.

I will check out your patch when I next get a chance. I'm not with my DAW today, but later this week I'll be at it again. Peace
Old 07-01-2014, 01:35 PM   #14
Nystagmus

Default How do you use the .PATCHes?

Quote:

I downloaded the patches and then realised I have no idea how to implement the patches. How are they installed? What's the procedure? What is needed?
Old 07-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #15
Jack Winter

Quote:
I downloaded the patches and then realised I have no idea how to implement the patches. How are they installed? What's the procedure? What is needed?
Hmm, if you need to ask that, there is not much use in me trying to answer the question, as it depends on your distro, and in the case of wine it is somewhat complicated.. What distro do you use, hopefully you can download a binary instead.

But in brief, you download the source code, use the patch program to apply the patches, and then follow the instructions to build it. What dependencies you need and how you package (or not), and install it depends on the distro.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #16
Nystagmus

ok thanks. I feel that i would be in over my head, unfortunately. I haven't known how to compile anything since my college years back in the 1990s. But i can tell you that my distro is Ubuntu Studio v14.04 LTS linux. It comes with Wine v1.6.2 installed. I don't have internet access at home, so my DAW computer has never been updated. The only stuff i install on it is Windows stuff via Wine or a few Debian packages i imported via flash drive from downloads on a public library computer.

Last edited by Nystagmus; 07-07-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #17
Jack Winter

Quote:
ok thanks. I feel that i would be in over my head, unfortunately. I haven't known how to compile anything since my college years back in the 1990s. But i can tell you that my distro is Ubuntu Studio v14.04 LTS linux. It comes with Wine v1.6.2 installed. I don't have internet access at home, so my DAW computer has never been updated. The only stuff i install on it is Windows stuff via Wine or a few Debian packages i impoted via flash drive from downloads on a public library computer.
I talked to the dev behind http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/, he has added wine-rt 1.7 with the reaper patch. There are also binaries for wineasio 32/64bit, and many other goodies for linux audio. It's a suit of apps and a group of addon repos for most debian based distros. Will probably make your life much easier...
Old 07-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #18
Nystagmus

Quote:
I talked to the dev behind http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/, he has added wine-rt 1.7 with the reaper patch. There are also binaries for wineasio 32/64bit, and many other goodies for linux audio. It's a suit of apps and a group of addon repos for most debian based distros. Will probably make your life much easier...
Hey thanks so much! I really appreciate it. You are a kind gentleman.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:08 AM   #19
Nystagmus

well unfortunately i couldnt figure out how to manually update wine. My DAW doesnt have any internet connection and clicking on the downloaded and transferred DEBs just brings up unresolvable dependency errors. One random site said to use dpkg -i or something like that but i'm afraid to try if there are knon dependency issues. I dont want to break wine. On another note though, i learned to get better playback by disabling audio device channel inputs in the preferences. That helped tremendously and is ok with me because i compose electronic music and dont do much tracking (recording into the computer).
Old 07-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #20
Nystagmus

Default more linux audio optimizations

If you decide to stick with pulseaudio instead of jack on linux, you may want to do some research on editing the /etc/pulse/daemon.conf file. Also there is a particular line within /etc/pulse/default.pa that should be appended with: tsched=0 ...that line is about the 56th line down and it is: load-module module-udev-detect. There is an article on TechRepublica.com called: pulseaudio, an achillles heel that needs repair. Read the whole thing and the comments at the end which correct some of it. On my system, i had to diverge from the article to get lower latency and better video sync, but it was still a helpful read. I will try and post my working settings later. Also linuxaudio.org has a wiki of good system optimizations/configuration.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #21
Nystagmus

Default Success on Ubuntu Studio Linux v14.04 LTS

Well, I'm not at my DAW right now, but the good news is that by reading about Linux DAW optimization, and by editing the Pulse Audio settings via it's config files (default.pa and daemon.conf) I was finally able to get rid of unwanted glitching in Reaper/Wine!

EDIT: Here's one of the main sites I was reading to learn how to do this:
http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration

So I'm not even using WineASIO for this (even though it's installed and available). PulseAudio is described and acknowledged as being less than professional and not intended for pro audio uses. But it's nice to know that even it can be made useful enough.

I just do MIDI composing with Reaper and render my stems to audio to chop and effect and I only record a stereo pair at a time. But I do use 32-bit float audio files and the 64-bit Reaper engine. Earlier this year, I had trouble working at anything higher than 44.1 kHz, but later this week I'll see if I can work back up to 48 kHz as the default sampling rate for hardware and software. My audio interface doesn't go any higher than 48 kHz though, so I can't test 88.2 kHz or whatnot.

The other nice thing, is that my whole DAW is offline; no internet access. So these tweaks and installs and optimizations don't require a live internet access. This also means that a system that's been fully updated from an internet connection would probably perform even better; I'm just using mostly a setup from the ISO DVD without much enhancements.

I wanted to test the DPC's with the DPC Latency Checker, but I can't get it to work in Wine. But I did get a whole lot of other Windows freewares to work, including Foobar2000, PhotoFiltre 7, IrfanView, 7-zip, BandiZip, PureRa, Appetizer, CleanAfterMe, SearchMyFiles (Nirsoft version), Scanner, BFXr, Music Cube One, Note Pad Plus, FLACdrop, OGGdropXPd, PNG Optimizer, ArtWeaver, RegScanner, and several others.

I haven't had any system crashes which is a step up from Windows 7 for me.

Ubuntu v14.04 LTS just recently got an update, so maybe an update is coming soon for Ubuntu Studio v14.04 LTS. Times are good!

Last edited by Nystagmus; 07-31-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:16 PM   #22
Nystagmus

Default Working DAW Ubuntu Studio Settings with PulseAudio

Good news:

Here's a link to a partial description of how I got good results with Reaper.

The more interesting part of the post are the embedded links I provided to screenshots of my working Reaper settings and other things within Ubuntu Studio Linux that required tweaking to get the good stuff to happen.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/10302742-post1.html

There's also a link to the screenshots downloadable as a 7zip archive ( @ http://www.datafilehost.com/d/2bb319c5 ) so you can view them at your leisure at full resolution. They aren't too big. They are PNG files with text overlays explaining stuff. I tried to keep it compact, but I think they say a lot effectively.

IMPORTANT EDIT: There is one mistake in my screenshots... Anticipative FX Processing should be totally disabled, unless you use a lot of native Cockos FX plugins instead of VST plugins. I just recently found out here at this forum that Anticipative FX Processing isn't designed for VST effects but for native Cockos FX and it might actually degrade normal VST use. There are other advantages to disabling it unless you have a really fast system.

Last edited by Nystagmus; 08-08-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #23
udaemon

Hello there!

if I may throw in another Reaper w/ wineasio/jack-question in:

I'm keen on trying how Reaper works for me with ubuntu (14.04.01).
I've a freshly set up system, wine installed, wineasio (yes, also registered the dll), jack, reaper.

My problem is that I don't get it running with the asio driver. In Reaper's audio configuration the entry 'WineAsio' shows up, but then nothing more happens. No input nor output able to be chosen, the audio device remains closed upon confirming my settings.
As apart from that jack works (I tried it with audacity) I get the impression that there's no connection between the WineAsio.dll (-sort of adapter, isn't it?) and Jack.

Did I forget something? Can anybody tell me what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!!
Christoph
udaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #24
Nystagmus

Hello udaemon. Sounds like u need to set up wineconfig for "system default" instead of "pulseaudio" for each setting on the audio tab within wineconfig. Wineconfig is in the ubuntu menu near "browse c: drive". In older versions of wine there were more options than just system default and pulseaudio, but the feature was removed. Also you must always run qjackctl AND press it's start button right before running any programs that use audio unless they use pulseaudio. Wineasio relies upon jack and alsa to work. I think qjackctl also needs it's alsa tab enabled instead of oss or whatnot. Be sure to choose your soundcard inputs and outputs there also... And of course select the soundcard hardware itself. Also run QasMixer and set up the preferences and the hardware choice by pressing F6 in the main window. This will help with alsa. Make sure the settings stick by quitting and restarting qasmixer. Be sure the defaults in the prefs are set. In general...Without jack running wineasio wont see your hardware
Old 08-06-2014, 01:26 AM   #25
corazon

Quote:
Puppy Studio 4 wasn't quite worth it because it's out of date for softwares, but it was a good learning experience and it shows what WineASIO looks like installed.
A new release of Puppy Studio is now available. Version 2 of Studio1337
is available as a commercial usb-stick distribution for $74.95, or downloadable iso, for $49.95. 64 or 32 bit.

http://www.getstudio1337.com/

In your Studio 4, you should be able to install any reaper,
and add vsts that you obtain. I like to place the reaper folder in the
.root folder, instead of .wine/drive_c/Program Files

Thanks for updating your successes!

Last edited by corazon; 08-06-2014 at 01:39 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:32 AM   #26
corazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaemon View Post
Hello there!

if I may throw in another Reaper w/ wineasio/jack-question in:

I'm keen on trying how Reaper works for me with ubuntu (14.04.01).
I've a freshly set up system, wine installed, wineasio (yes, also registered the dll), jack, reaper.

My problem is that I don't get it running with the asio driver. In Reaper's audio configuration the entry 'WineAsio' shows up, but then nothing more happens. No input nor output able to be chosen, the audio device remains closed upon confirming my settings.
As apart from that jack works (I tried it with audacity) I get the impression that there's no connection between the WineAsio.dll (-sort of adapter, isn't it?) and Jack.

Did I forget something? Can anybody tell me what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!!
Christoph
On my setup, to apply the choice of wineasio as the asio device,
I have to navigate to a different tab, for example, the Buffering tab,
and untick/retick one of the options, then go back to the Device tab,
and wineasio won't be 'grayed out',
so pressing the apply button will do it's job.
Hope this is the quirk.

After wineasio is installed, normal user must run the command
regsvr32 wineasio.dll

Last edited by corazon; 08-06-2014 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #27
Jack Winter

Quote:
I think quite possibly it's a question of 32 vs 64bit? If your linux is 64b and you try to run 32b wineasio it will need 32b jack client libs. Might be called something like libjack0:i386 or lib32-jack, etc (depending on distro). Note that 64b reaper works fine in 64b wine..

To clarify something, wineasio has absolutely nothing to do with winecfg, as it talks directly to jack. If the above assumption is correct, then 32b wineasio would talk to the 32b jack client libs, which would use shared mem to communicate with the 64b jack server. There are also a couple of registry entries (and iirc environment variables) that can make wineasio start the jack server if it's not already running.

If you still can't get it working, please run something similar to this: WINEDEBUG=+asio wine ~/path/to/reaper.exe and capture the terminal output, might give a clue about what is going wrong.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:00 AM   #28
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon View Post
On my setup, to apply the choice of wineasio as the asio device,
I have to navigate to a different tab, for example, the Buffering tab,
and untick/retick one of the options, then go back to the Device tab,
and wineasio won't be 'grayed out',
so pressing the apply button will do it's job.
Hope this is the quirk.
Hmm, this really shouldn't happen

Quote:
After wineasio is installed, normal user must run the command
regsvr32 wineasio.dll
And to register the 64b wineasio driver, one would have to run wine64 regsvr32 wineasio.dll
Old 08-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #29
udaemon

Thank you all three for your help!

I went through all of your propositions, Nystagmus, but without success. I think the basic configuration in winecfg is "default device" for every category.

Also I tried different jack-settings - always with alsa -, especially focusing on the hardware devices to be used and testing it with audacity.

None of the things helped. Reaper keeps telling me that the ASIO-driver couldn't be established.

By the way, isn't it that within the device-tab in Reaper's configuration menu, when ASIO is chosen, qjackctl should open automatically when I hit the 'ASIO-config' button?
If so, this doesn't work here.

But I also think it has something to with the question of 32bit and 64bit, Jack suggests. I run a 64bit ubuntu (14.04.01).

My problem is: I don't know what to do about it. These questions occur and though searching wikis and stuff I couldn't find the answers:

How can I make sure what jack version is installed?
- 64 bit I assume - as my system is (?)

Wine 64bit, as I read, is not that common, right? Do I have to compile my own or can i just add some libraries (??) for some additional files to be copied in order to get 64bit programs working?

Searching for the jack-libraries I found both i386 and am64-files/folders.

If you can point me to some further info on that topic I'd be glad!

Thanks and good night!!
Old 08-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #30
SmoothBro

Quote:
Thank you all three for your help!

I went through all of your propositions, Nystagmus, but without success. I think the basic configuration in winecfg is "default device" for every category.

Also I tried different jack-settings - always with alsa -, especially focusing on the hardware devices to be used and testing it with audacity.

None of the things helped. Reaper keeps telling me that the ASIO-driver couldn't be established.

By the way, isn't it that within the device-tab in Reaper's configuration menu, when ASIO is chosen, qjackctl should open automatically when I hit the 'ASIO-config' button?
If so, this doesn't work here.

But I also think it has something to with the question of 32bit and 64bit, Jack suggests. I run a 64bit ubuntu (14.04.01).

My problem is: I don't know what to do about it. These questions occur and though searching wikis and stuff I couldn't find the answers:

How can I make sure what jack version is installed?
- 64 bit I assume - as my system is (?)

Wine 64bit, as I read, is not that common, right? Do I have to compile my own or can i just add some libraries (??) for some additional files to be copied in order to get 64bit programs working?

Searching for the jack-libraries I found both i386 and am64-files/folders.

If you can point me to some further info on that topic I'd be glad!

Thanks and good night!!
Start qjackctl first and make sure that is running. Then start Reaper and go to the audio configuration and make your changes. Reaper will not launch Jack.

I'm assuming you installed Jack and qjackctl through the repositories. I don't know where you would get wineasio64. Did you install Kxstudio repositories? Maybe they have the 64 bit version there. I have 32 bit UbuntuStudo so all I see in Synaptic is 32 bit wineasio.
Also do some google searches on wineasio64 bit and Jack64 bit.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #31
SmoothBro

Default AVLinux 6.0.3

If you can, download AVLinux 6.03. It's not 64bit, but has a PAE kernel which is supposed to allow you to use all of your memory. Once you put it on a live DVD, boot it up and see if you can connect Jack to your soundcard. If so, register wineasio (in the 'Audio utilities' folder) then install Reaper and run. See if you can access wineasio from Reaper. If so, I would be sure it's a 32bit vs 64bit problem as was said earlier.

Just my .02 cents.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #32
Nystagmus

Default hmmm

Quote:
To clarify something, wineasio has absolutely nothing to do with winecfg, as it talks directly to jack. If the above assumption is correct, then 32b wineasio would talk to the 32b jack client libs, which would use shared mem to communicate with the 64b jack server. There are also a couple of registry entries (and iirc environment variables) that can make wineasio start the jack server if it's not already running.
Thanks for clarifying, Jack. I'm not entirely sure if I believe you 100% though. Are you 100% sure? Doesn't REAPER depend upon Wine's settings just to run? And if so, why wouldn't the Wine audio settings have some bearing on the situation?

I could be remembering my experiences wrong, but I'm pretty sure that I had to be sure to edit Wine's audio prefs from PulseAudio to system default as part of getting JACK (and thus WineASIO) to work within Reaper.

This isn't entirely related, but...

I did notice that some kind of JACK dBus (?) or something like that occasionally got started up by Linux audio programs and I could see that it was related to something automatically being started.

In particular, I notice that when certain programs crashed, the window would freeze up and couldn't be closed up until I manaully killed all the processes with "JACK" in the name, including the one with the "dBus" (?) sort of name.

Anyways, I did do some preliminary Registry edits at an earlier time that I don't entirely remember the source of. There is a Registry edit that is supposed to tell Wine to use ALSA as a default instead of PulseAudio. So maybe my system is a bit unusual in that regard.

Anyways, thanks. You for sure know more than me.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:33 AM   #33
corazon

This looks like a fun beach for Reaper.
Does anyone recognize the tune?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=efwstP539Ag
Old 08-10-2014, 01:23 AM   #34
ivansc

Since I already own (and have never installed) Harrison Mixbus, I just wrote the dev to ask if they support rRME cards... and of course the crucial question for me: Will my VST VSTi stuff work.
We shall see.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:49 PM   #35
corazon

I think linux soundcard support would come from alsa,
and the Mixbus must support jackd and alsa, which will be
related to how well the Ardour portion of Mixbus works
with your system. I'm sure I have read some RME-linux pci
success stories. I think windows vst support in Ardour/Mixbus
has not arrived, requires compiling Ardour with some Steinberg sda files,
and then some extra studies and luck.
But the amount and quality of linux native vsts is increasing,
and Bitwig is drawing some linux talent out of the shadows. A new
vst bridge, called Airwave, is being perfected by some Bitwig
users, and it may be that Mixbus will get lucky.

My spectators overall impression, is that people who do get Mixbus working,
like it enough just for mastering, to be happy with the purchase,
especially at frequent sale prices..

This thread covers some Mixbus/windows adventures:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=339828

This one mainly covers multi i/o plugin failure:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...84107&start=15

Several other threads if you search that forum.

A recent review:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/revie...on-mixbus.html
Old 08-10-2014, 11:01 PM   #36
corazon

Quote:
Doesn't REAPER depend upon Wine's settings just to run? And if so, why wouldn't the Wine audio settings have some bearing on the situation?
Reaper Device selection should offer asio if wineasio is installed,
and also wdm, and the other windows audio device options, which should
work to various degrees. I briefly tested wdm for audio i/o, which
worked, but I didn't attempt optimizing it. Wine audio settings are
very limited, since V 1.4, the main ones are done by editing
a few registry entries, after a related google search.

command: wine regedit.

alsaconf is a command used to set up your soundcard. It is not in
every distro, but should be available to manually install,
and run by root. KDE updates often frag the audio defaults,
so I take 30 seconds to re-run alsaconf.

A simple 32bit linux, with pulseaudio removed, will be the easiest
success story, and using a package manager to strip out all the
unrelated apps, will help reduce dependencies later on.
Choosing a small footprint GUI like E17, lxde, openbox etc,
will help keep things nippy. I've used E17, E18, and now E19,
with very happy results. Google for

limits.conf wineasio

and you will get tons of data, from over the last 7 years
that will give you many tips, and a frame of reference. Make a text file
containing all the cool tips/commands/scripts that people post,
will be an invaluable reference in coming years.

Last edited by corazon; 08-10-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #37
Nystagmus

Quote:

A simple 32bit linux, with pulseaudio removed, will be the easiest
success story, and using a package manager to strip out all the
unrelated apps, will help reduce dependencies later on.
Choosing a small footprint GUI like E17, lxde, openbox etc,
will help keep things nippy. I've used E17, E18, and now E19,
with very happy results. Google for

limits.conf wineasio

and you will get tons of data, from over the last 7 years
that will give you many tips, and a frame of reference. Make a text file
containing all the cool tips/commands/scripts that people post,
will be an invaluable reference in coming years.
Thanks.

Believe it or not, I tried removing pulseaudio on a backup drive and while i got JACK working with WineASIO, JACK was very difficult to get working with my USB soundcard at low latency and it kept crashing Reaper until I finally gave up. Sometimes it would crash Reaper if I just pressed stop within Reaper or play. I got paranoid about corrupting my audio projects, so I went back to pulseaudio.

If you edit pulseaudio's configuration files manually, you can get pretty good results. And of course some programs can be set up to use ALSA direct to the soundcard anyhow, without any mixer or whatnot. Maybe I could've eventually gotten WineASIO/JACK working, but it turned into a huge hassle, and my main DAW doesn't have any direct internet connection, so it would be excruciating.

Right now, everything is running just fine with pulseaudio and alsa side by side and jack is available and runs too, so I'm not going to be changing anything on my system. It took research, like you said, but for pulseaudio as well as for jack and alsa. It was worth it though.

I am still looking forward to updates of Wine and WineASIO though. I believe within the next 10 years it will be pretty successful. It's already successful, but for audio and multimedia it's still lagging just a bit as far as the older [stable] release goes. I would install a newer [testing] version of both of those, but I couldn't get the installer dependencies resolved without an automatic internet connection and a fully updated operating system.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:29 AM   #38
corazon

Most usb devices need the qjackctl Periods/Buffer set at 3,
in case you had an even number. Maybe that would help in
future tests. Glad things are working!
Cheers
Old 08-13-2014, 03:29 AM   #39
udaemon

Quote:
If you can, download AVLinux 6.03. It's not 64bit, but has a PAE kernel which is supposed to allow you to use all of your memory. Once you put it on a live DVD, boot it up and see if you can connect Jack to your soundcard. If so, register wineasio (in the 'Audio utilities' folder) then install Reaper and run. See if you can access wineasio from Reaper. If so, I would be sure it's a 32bit vs 64bit problem as was said earlier.
Thanks, SmoothBro, I did try it with AVLinux, as you suggested and it worked instantly.

I spend a little time to re-setup ubuntu (14.04.01 64-bit still) now focusing more on not mixing up 64-bit and 32-bit.

So I installed wine running: apt-get install wine1.6-amd64

Installed wineasio in 64-bit from the kxstudio-repositories and registered that.

Only I don't know about Jack. I simply got that through: apt-get install jackd

Unfortunately Reaper still doesn't work with Asio.
BUT:
With Jack started, running Reaper and there opening the audio preferences and chosing ASIO, a message shows up in Jack's log, telling:

ERROR: Cannot read socket fd = 17 err = No such file or directory
ERROR: Unknown request 0

I searched for explanation of that message but couldn't find anything.

This could probably again be an issue of running 64bit/32bit, as Jack Winter assumed earlier (?):

Quote:
I think quite possibly it's a question of 32 vs 64bit? If your linux is 64b and you try to run 32b wineasio it will need 32b jack client libs. Might be called something like libjack0:i386 or lib32-jack, etc (depending on distro). Note that 64b reaper works fine in 64b wine..

Can someone tell about that error messages? Does it point me to some missing (i386-)libraries or something?

Could it be a problem with Jack being 32-bit (?) or is it in 64-bit automatically by installing it from a 64-bit machine? Sorry, I don't have any clue, yet...

Maybe I did some things wrong in the installation process as described above?

Any suggestions are much apreciated! Thanks!
Old 08-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #40
Jack Winter

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying, Jack. I'm not entirely sure if I believe you 100% though. Are you 100% sure? Doesn't REAPER depend upon Wine's settings just to run? And if so, why wouldn't the Wine audio settings have some bearing on the situation?
Yes I am sure, I'm one of the authors of wineasio. The other methods of outputting audio from reaper passes wine's audio stack, but wineasio uses jack directly, bypassing it.

Quote:
I could be remembering my experiences wrong, but I'm pretty sure that I had to be sure to edit Wine's audio prefs from PulseAudio to system default as part of getting JACK (and thus WineASIO) to work within Reaper.

This isn't entirely related, but...

I did notice that some kind of JACK dBus (?) or something like that occasionally got started up by Linux audio programs and I could see that it was related to something automatically being started.

In particular, I notice that when certain programs crashed, the window would freeze up and couldn't be closed up until I manaully killed all the processes with "JACK" in the name, including the one with the "dBus" (?) sort of name.

Anyways, I did do some preliminary Registry edits at an earlier time that I don't entirely remember the source of. There is a Registry edit that is supposed to tell Wine to use ALSA as a default instead of PulseAudio. So maybe my system is a bit unusual in that regard.

Anyways, thanks. You for sure know more than me.
This is all a very thorny issue First of all, Wine actually doesn't have any pulseaudio support at all, that's patched in by various distros. The patches were submitted to the wine project, but they didn't feel that it was up to it's coding standards and they didn't want to support 2 backends. IMO it would have been better to leave the PA support out of wine, as PA can be a sink for alsa audio, so wine could perfectly well talk to PA anyways.

The other part is getting jack to run. First of all there are 2 ways to get jack to run, one by simply executing the jack daemon, and the other by activating it through dbus. There have also been years of troubles in that PA very happily hogs the soundcard, and has often failed to release it to jack when jack needs access to it. This situation is slowly improving, but it's still a mess, and IMO unforgivable that especially audio orientated distros still get this wrong. PA may be something very good (I am not going to call it shit in public), but it's also been a huge PITA due to bugs and how all this has been handled by various distros.

I think I reccomended you some time back to use the kxstudio repos if you were on a modern debian distro, just to avoid this whole &^%$ mess Falktx, the developer behind kxstudio has gone out of his way, to straighten this out for modern debian distros, and he included wine-rt, wineasio, and even reaper in the binary repos. Think he dropped all the free/demo software recently, so you can no longer install reaper straight through the package manager, but he still supports wine, together with pulse audio and all the rest.

For the bare minimum one would need a soundcard supported by alsa (and not in use by some other program), jack, wineasio, wine and reaper. For low latency it would be advantageous to also use a realtime patched kernel (with a few additional tweaks to the system) and wine-rt.

One can run reaper (even 64b) with a lot of FX at very low latency without any xruns (audio dropouts), but unfortunately there are also still parts of reaper that cause dropouts when editing, etc, but as one can't hear them they aren't really of any huge importance, just an annoyance.

I understand if this situation is bewildering to the linux noob, and in my own opinion it really is unforgivable that the user gets this experience..! But that's just the logical conclusion of the linux environment, where there are many ways to skin a cat, and each user/distro is free to combine building blocks as they see fit. Also don't forget that most linux users are very condescending towards windows, and have no big incentive to make this work any better. But PA has also been very troublesome for linux audio users wanting to run Ardour and other native linux audio programs...

I wish I could give simple step by step instructions, but it's impossible due to differences in distros, and personally I also have no interrest in knowing how they all work and how to run reaper on them...

Sorry for writing a novel, but don't know how to reduce this information into a short few paragraphs.