Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-19-2015, 04:46 AM   #1801
whiteaxxxe
Banned

ah well, I read across and did a search for the term "emulation" and its not there.

obviously you can call it hybrid, if you go and give the samples some envelopes or filters or such. as said, samples are meh because you cant change one LFO for instance from triangle to sine or such. you are nailed to the sample or go and load another sound.

thats what I found really bs when Native Instruments went from emulation of the B3 to a sample library of the B3. dont know what they have thought ... and dont want to know.

you can sample instruments that have one preset or two. so to say. a piano eg. but not an instrument with which it is integral part that you turn knobs to change the sound over time.

but nowadays ... hey, there are 100 B3-sounds ... wow!!!! I only have to load them into Kontakt ... nah. never. sample libraries ... bs.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:21 AM   #1802
cerendir
Human being with feelings

I use a lot of sample libraries, but almost exclusively for replicating stuff that can't be done any other way (at least not realistically) like drum kits, orchestral instruments etc. Sampled synths though... I never really saw the point. There are tons of awesome virtual synths available, many of them free, and why one would choose a sampled Moog over an emulated Moog and forego like 90% of the synths functionality and expressiveness is really beyond me.

Edit: of course, wavetable and PCM synths and such are maybe a different matter. You can't really create an emulation -- especially not a free one -- without the waveforms from the original hardware. So maybe in that case using samples is the only option.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:22 AM   #1803
whiteaxxxe
Banned

thats what I meant with the example of the B4.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:48 PM   #1804
ivansc

Still happy with my B4 II which is working fine in Win 8.1 and did work in the Win10 tech preview, which DID surprise me.
It SAYS it is working in demo mode but is actually working just as it always did once I dismiss the "do you want to authorise this software" popup.

And before anyone asks, YES it is a legal original and is in fact registered still in my NI user account.
(even if they did officially disown it at Win7)
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:13 PM   #1805
whiteaxxxe
Banned

right. mine is still working too without any popups, but I am on Win7 32bit. and I dont know what to do if that will be someday not the case anymore. that B4 II is such a hell of genius piece of organ, thanx to Hammond and Native Instruments.

maybe they set it free someday???? because as far as I know you cant buy it anymore??? what a shame. there is really hellish good software out that you cant buy anymore. sure, the companies wnat to sell new stuff. and not always is new better. Virtual Bassist and Groove Agent 2 from Steinberg are examples. there is no sofware that can beat these 2, if in the hands of someone who knows in depth how to deal with them.

am I sounding like one of these backwrads guys? 10/20/30 years ago everything was better? I hope not ... but some things were better. not much, but some ...
Old 05-20-2015, 08:32 AM   #1806
ginormous

I'm really not one of those guys, you know, the ones who quote themselves.

I posted this last year, though. If you want a freeware Hammond, IMO this is the best one.

The Nubi website has gone the way of all things, but the NubiPlus/VFX/Spinner zip file is still there in the archive, like an orphan looking for a home.

NubiPlus: the organ, with some killer presets of famous Hammond players
VFX: Tube amp/crossover with crunchy overdrive
Spinner: as the name implies, a Leslie emulator

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...postcount=1709
ginormous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:42 AM   #1807
kj4lxw

Spinner rocks! I have the on/off set to mod wheel on my synth and it works great.
Thanks to all here for the links, I have acquired so many good tools from this thread. Is also great learning how to use everything.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:22 PM   #1808
ReaperMadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginormous View Post
I'm really not one of those guys, you know, the ones who quote themselves.

I posted this last year, though. If you want a freeware Hammond, IMO this is the best one.

The Nubi website has gone the way of all things, but the NubiPlus/VFX/Spinner zip file is still there in the archive, like an orphan looking for a home.

NubiPlus: the organ, with some killer presets of famous Hammond players
VFX: Tube amp/crossover with crunchy overdrive
Spinner: as the name implies, a Leslie emulator

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...postcount=1709
Whoa.

WHOA!

WHOA!

How can I have been on the planet as many years as I have, and not known about this!?!!? (and I call myself a 'keyboard player'...)

What a killer combination.

A Ginormous thank you to Ginormous.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:43 PM   #1809
cerendir

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
Whoa.

WHOA!

WHOA!

How can I have been on the planet as many years as I have, and not known about this!?!!? (and I call myself a 'keyboard player'...)

What a killer combination.

A Ginormous thank you to Ginormous.
Haha The Nubi plugs are great, I only wish they came as x64. Still, very stable and lightweight even bridged so no matter I guess.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:37 PM   #1810
ginormous

VST Planet has a zip for the organ, but I'm not sure about the rest of the package.

The VFX overdrive and Spinner make it sing. It sounds good alone, but you need some decent Leslie emulation for the full effect.

http://www.vstplanet.com/News/2012/NUBI_Plus.htm
Old 05-20-2015, 08:56 PM   #1811
ReaperMadness

Quote:
VST Planet has a zip for the organ, but I'm not sure about the rest of the package.

The VFX overdrive and Spinner make it sing. It sounds good alone, but you need some decent Leslie emulation for the full effect.

http://www.vstplanet.com/News/2012/NUBI_Plus.htm
I downloaded the zip from this link in your old post:

http://web.archive.org/web/200611170...wnloadPlus.htm

AND GOT ALL THREE - NuBiPlus, VFX and Spinner!

They're all still available in the one zip. Great three-pack.

However, I just checked the vstplanet link. Although the zip has the very same name - NuBiPlus - it's smaller. The 3-pack is 1735kb, whereas the vstplanet zip is 953kb and contains just the organ.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =

Last edited by ReaperMadness; 05-20-2015 at 10:22 PM.
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:15 PM   #1812
ginormous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
I just checked the vstplanet link. Although the zip has the very same name - NuBiPlus - it's smaller. The 3-pack is 1735kb, whereas the vstplanet zip is 953kb and contains just the organ.
That's what I was afraid of. Get the archive.org link... you won't be sorry.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:37 PM   #1813
Eichro

Is there a freeware alternative to Kontakt? I mean, for scripting purpose and the such.

I know there's that Linux sampler whose name escaped me, but I think their scripting functions are very primitive.
Eichro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:54 PM   #1814
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichro View Post
Is there a freeware alternative to Kontakt? I mean, for scripting purpose and the such.

I know there's that Linux sampler whose name escaped me, but I think their scripting functions are very primitive.
Not sure what you are trying to accomplish, do you know there's a free version of Kontakt (called Kontakt Player)?

Or maybe something like this would work for you:

http://www.tx16wx.com/home.

Enjoy.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:41 AM   #1815
ivansc

Nubi is indeed great but like B4II is 32bit only. Shame - B4II is one of only three plugs I keep that are 32bit but dont have a really good 64bit alternative..
Old 05-28-2015, 03:24 AM   #1816
Edwood

I'm using B-4 II on 64 bit. no problems.
Edwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:44 PM   #1817
Eichro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
Not sure what you are trying to accomplish, do you know there's a free version of Kontakt (called Kontakt Player)?

Or maybe something like this would work for you:

http://www.tx16wx.com/home.

Enjoy.

Kontakt Player is just a player (and most good plugs are commercial for Player, which kind of defeats the point of having a free version of Kontakt), and TW16X is a sampler. Unless the freeware TW16X has similar scripting features (never messed with it), unfortunately it's not what I'm looking for.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:14 AM   #1818
drtedtan

^ Check out Vember's shortcircuit and TW16X. If they won't work, you'll probably have to pay for Kontakt.
drtedtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:41 AM   #1819
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwood View Post
I'm using B-4 II on 64 bit. no problems.
You dont get the demo splash-screen come up?{ I do, even though B4II shows up as authorised in my NI user account still.
BUT as I said earlier if I just click the splash screen away it all works fine in win8.1 64bit, Reaper 64bit.
Apparently Cockos DO know a thing or 2 about bridging... D
Old 05-29-2015, 12:15 PM   #1820
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Apparently Cockos DO know a thing or 2 about bridging... D
They ought to bottle it!!

Old 05-29-2015, 02:33 PM   #1821
Eichro

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtedtan View Post
^ Check out Vember's shortcircuit and TW16X. If they won't work, you'll probably have to pay for Kontakt.
I do have both, but never really went deep into their features. Ty
Old 06-17-2015, 06:33 AM   #1822
ginormous

Tascam has released their (free!) Hi-Res audio editor, for Win 7 (SP1) and above.
Works with Direct Stream Digital up to 11.2 mHz, and wav files up to 32-bit, up to 384kHz:

http://tascam.com/product/hi-res_editor/

Last edited by ginormous; 06-17-2015 at 07:32 AM. Reason: more info
Old 06-17-2015, 06:50 AM   #1823
Firedance

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtedtan View Post
TW16X.
+1 for this.

Versatile & very useful, it's great - better than Shortcircuit IMO.

Not pretty and a little fiddly on the GUI front but who cares? It works very well.
Firedance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:56 AM   #1824
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:
Tascam has released their (free!) Hi-Res audio editor, for Win 7 (SP1) and above.
Works with Direct Stream Digital up to 11.2 mHz, and wav files up to 32-bit, up to 384kHz:

http://tascam.com/product/hi-res_editor/
thanks for the hint.

but:

1. it forces install to C:\blahblah\somewhere (Tascam software developers are idiots?)
2. it needs a restart of the computer after installation (what?????)
3. it needs 1 whole minute to load a 5 min 24bit/44.1khz - file (Tascam software developers are ... er ... I mentioned that part already)
4. its called an "editor". thing is, that software cant edit anything, except cutting the audio-file or joining audio-files and it can export to some other format (which I didnt try, because what I know about that thingie loading a file ...

on the upside: its free. and it looks quite nice.

but, everybody knows that a polished free turd is in its core a turd.

so what for is this piece of software? its the first software I have ever seen that was made to be looking good. and regarding that it is miles behind Shakira ... I do not mean that Shakira is meaningless or pointless or software ... only speaking at this point about the lokoinggoodness ...

do not install this! do not download in the first place! its bullshit!!!

edit: ah, I know why it needed a restart. it installs the latest version of the MS Visual C++ libraries and runtime elements. normally an installer would say that ... did I mention that the Tascam software developers are ...

edit2: these stupid, idiotic, dumba**, m*****f***ers developers of Tascam ... after deinstalling the software all my ASIO-divers (Terratec, Line6 UX1, X3Live and Toneport) were f***ed up and/or disabled in a way, that no sound on no output was available. to get sound back I had to 2 times restart the computer.

and between "everthing ok" and "nothing works anymore" was the only thing: the installation of that bullshit-piece of wannabe-software from Tascam.

I think, they are completely incompetent and a bunch of ... last thing I heard is, that Tascam has its facilities nearby Fukushima.

Last edited by whiteaxxxe; 06-17-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:44 AM   #1825
ginormous

Well, I was hoping that Gibson Pro Audio (formerly the Teac/Tascam, Onkyo, Cerwin-Vega, Stanton, KRK, Cakewalk and the former Philips A/V brands) had put itself together by now; oh well...

"Forces install to C:/blahblah..."? There's no Browse button or path type-in on the install widget? Yeah, that's some weakness right there.

Guess I'll stick to Audacity and wav files. A lot more power and flexibility, in a clunky old GUI. Just the thing for a guy that cut his teeth on Win 3.1/DOS 5.x .

Last edited by ginormous; 06-17-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:20 PM   #1826
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedance View Post
+1 for this.

Versatile & very useful, it's great - better than Shortcircuit IMO.

Not pretty and a little fiddly on the GUI front but who cares? It works very well.
What I love about Shortcircuit is the preview of samples in real time! Can the TW16X do that? I really wonder why Kontakt can not!
Old 06-18-2015, 07:35 AM   #1827
drtedtan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
4. its called an "editor". thing is, that software cant edit anything, except cutting the audio-file or joining audio-files and it can export to some other format (which I didnt try, because what I know about that thingie loading a file ...
It is primarily a DSD editor, and that is about all you can do with DSD editing.

I see this primarily as a means of converting DSD to PCM for editing (in other software) and then back to DSD for users of Tascam's high-res DSD recorders.

For anyone not recording to DSD (and that's everyone recording to a DAW, including Reaper users), there is no reason to look into this software, as it's not a traditional wav editor like you're probably thinking it is.
drtedtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:17 AM   #1828
whiteaxxxe
Banned

and that is a reason to disable all asio-drivers at uninstall????? are they nuts? yes, they are.

and Tascam belongs to Gibson? I should have known that before and I never would have touched it.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #1829
vitalker

A1 Trigger Gate by A1audio.de
http://www.alexhilton.net/A1AUDIO/in.../a1triggergate
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:14 AM   #1830
Hasan Lafci

Kassiopeia 2.0

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/kass..._sonic_assault

MT Power Drum Kit 2

http://www.powerdrumkit.com/download76187.php

Trance Drive

http://www.yedey.com/2010/02/officia...f-trancedrive/

Last edited by Hasan Lafci; 06-24-2015 at 04:21 AM.
Hasan Lafci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #1831
C-H

A stellar thread. Thx for all the work digging out and testing these plugs.

Eagerly looking at the Behringer website for updates about the Motor 49/61 controllers I saw a big list of free software, including plugins and instruments. It might be that many of these have already been featured here but here they are anyway.
There are both Mac and PC versions so the link is the top level link.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MOTOR-49.aspx
Old 07-28-2015, 09:20 PM   #1832
ginormous

An open source, standalone/VST/AU/AAX/LV2, Linux/OSX/Win synth by Matt Tytel, 32 and 64 bit. Beta version.

Helm. <--- (link)

edit: a smaller pic...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg helm.jpg (60.3 KB, 424 views)

Last edited by ginormous; 07-31-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:39 PM   #1833
bluzkat

Can you please resize the image, its kind of big.

Thanks.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:54 PM   #1834
hamish

http://nusofting.liqihsynth.com/anything_mod.html

nusofting has this new 'anything mod' effect which I just downloaded.

It seems like it's a modulatable modular fx unit with ring mod, combfilter, glitch generator and so on.

I still don't have a glitch gernerator that I really like, so I'm hoping this is the one.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:44 AM   #1835
greenguitars72

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
DDMF IIEQ and SmallEQ are still free indeed, even though they don't have curve display.

- Mario
You might try Equilibre EQ
http://www.audiodope.org/en/plug-ins...ioTeknikk.html

also i found those VSTi which are quite good imo
poly 2106
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php...y_2106&id=1329

and VL 112 -a nice B3 emulation
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1490
greenguitars72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:15 AM   #1836
PTF

Default Free vocal synth

A great new freebie from Plogue:

https://www.plogue.com/products/alterego/
PTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:27 AM   #1837
bladerunner

Free sampler from One Small Clue - Grace.

http://www.onesmallclue.com/plugin/grace/

Haven't tried it yet but I'm sure it will be great - previously owned Poise which was a very nice plugin.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:37 AM   #1838
bladerunner

Very nice free limiter from LVC Audio - been testing it out today.

http://lvcaudio.com/plugins/limited-z/
Old 10-08-2015, 05:37 AM   #1839
Time Waster

Default Swierk

I did a search on this thread for 'Swierk' by Saltline, but didn't find a reference. Has this been mentioned? To me, Swierk seems to be an exceptionally good subtractive synth, 2 ocillators + a sub oscillator. Modulation options includes a multi stage envelope. Very flexible routing capability and an attractive and practical UI. http://www.saltline.co.uk/swierk.html

Last edited by Time Waster; 10-08-2015 at 06:02 AM.
Time Waster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:22 AM   #1840
tgraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
Very nice free limiter from LVC Audio - been testing it out today.

http://lvcaudio.com/plugins/limited-z/
Did you form an opinion on this limiter?
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote