Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 08-27-2015, 08:22 AM   #1
bazza
Human being with feelings

Default Recording to click in time, when I play back, slightly behind the click...

Recording to click in time, when I play back, slightly behind the click...

As the title suggests, I'm confused.

I noticed when I play back a recording (bass guitar), it's slightly behind the click. So, I tried a few different things, playing to just a click, a slow click etc, and still on playback, it's slightly behind the click. (Latency perhaps?)

I'm using a focusrite 2i2 into a Windows machine.

I've tried recording bass straight into the interface, using a mic in front of an amp, focusrite monitor on, focusrite monitor off, 48v button on, 48v button off etc.

For whatever reason, what's recorded isn't bang on the click.

I used a slow click on it's own as a test and same result...

It's definitely not me! It's as if there's a lag between the signal going in and it being recorded.

Could it just be that I am using a rubbish laptop?
bazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
hopi

it could be that...

what is the latency ...look up in the top right corner of the main reaper window...

what is the audio interface you are using? hopefully not the one built into the lappy...
Old 08-28-2015, 03:41 AM   #3
grinder

If you are not experienced Bazza at playing with a click/metronome Bazza you will acclimatize in time. If you play perfect time you will notice that your notes will be all a distinct distance behind the beat if this is the case and you like the timing you can just shift the item as a whole and it will all line up!
What happens with your playing as you increase your awareness is that you will learn to preempt your click and you will play earlier thus getting your notes to line up to the bar etc better.
There is a latency from your musical instrument to your interface that is why you play early to get to the bar in time..... Try telling that to the partner....
Even playing in a band there is latency that is why some band members as a group play in time better than others you have to learn to adapt your playing in order to suit the whole.

Enough getting late.

Grinder

https://soundcloud.com/steve-maitland-1
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #4
ashcat_lt

PDC should take care of that. Either you've defeated that somehow (it's an option somewhere, but should be enabled by default) or your hardware is not reporting correctly.

Learning to live with it is not an acceptable answer.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:58 PM   #5
bazsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
PDC should take care of that. Either you've defeated that somehow (it's an option somewhere, but should be enabled by default) or your hardware is not reporting correctly.

Learning to live with it is not an acceptable answer.
ive got a 2i2 and havne not noticed this, however i havnt played with a click, ive done a few projects where ive played to a full track (building an acoustic cover) and not noticed any lag issues, even when the track is playing back with what ive recorded apart from generall timing errors.
bazsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
bazsound

u can check for correct latency compensation by running the click back into an input and record, repeat building up multiple tracks of click and see how its shifting.

make sure you only have input enabled for the track you are recording, in the past ice had issues with latency compensation when inputs were assigned to tracks that were not being recorded (other daw's)
bazsound is offline   Reply With Quote