Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 12-01-2015, 04:27 PM   #1
Iokanaan
Human being with feelings

Default SEEMS TO BE LOTS OF MIDI ISSUES WITH V5 !

As said in the title, it seems that several users (including me) have experienced - and expressed here - severe MIDI issues since v5. One of them employed the expression "Pain in the ass" and I must say I quite agree with him. Having chords which continue playing while another one is beginning due to lack on midi notes off in an arrangment is DEFINITELY a pain in the ass and a torture for the ear. This is not (anymore) an adequate nor satisfying working tool.

But what may also soon entitle to this qualification (pain in the...) is the silence around this which seems to be the one into which we currently are and remain. It gives us (at least me) the unpleasant impression of being alone with one's problems no one cares about.

So please, can ANYONE reply SOMETHING to this ? (like "ok the bug is taken into account, we're working on something to solve it" kind of reply...)

Thx in advance...
Iokanaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:22 PM   #2
ELP

I use tons of external MIDI stuff and have zero problems- in this regard.
On the contrary, it has never been better than now.
How it looks on the MAC, I do not know, but you should really look
-at the times- in the settings. Here has in fact done/changed a lot and the settings|behavior etc.pp is not to be compared with REAPER <V5.
Or just check one fresh portable version if its the same.
I can really not understand why you have problems and you mean that these could only be an REAPER bug...

Maybe no one cares about because only a very few user like you seems to live with such problem?!
And it also doesnt help if you only post such things like this,
with no examples and or settings or whatever....
Old 12-01-2015, 09:41 PM   #3
zyisrad

Turn off "Quantize track MIDI recording" by right-clicking the record arm button then choosing "Track recording settings".

If you must leave this on, then add a random note to the item after recording and remove it. The note-offs should snap back into place.

This is a known bug.
zyisrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:11 AM   #4
ELP

But these has of course nothing to do with Iokanaans problem about the
"lack on midi notes off in an arrangment".
Which I absolute not have.
-

The MIDI Track Input Quantize do not work like an Input FX would do!!!

It is just like the "enable Quantize function within edit"
exept that these function is enable during recording.

So that is the reason- if input track quantize is enable-
why you always have to
-first thing you have to do within the editor and after your recording with input quantize enable-

A. Commit the recording Quantize
or
B. first glue the item...
and then edit or whatever.

Otherwise it could be happen-with some edit quant/grid. settings that the Input quantize is going away and

"The note-offs should snap back into place"
this is happen..

The fault with Track Input Quantize is only that these function
is not working independently from the editor quantize/grid setting like an
real Input Quantize FX would do.
Its working at the same "level|bus or whatever i should call this"

But i call these not an bug - more one design error.
Maybe it is one "User misunderstanding" about these function means at which level it work.
It is not one "Track Input quantize FX" that also means that its not working before the monitoring within REAPER,
only after and its working at the same "bus|level" means the quantize function within editor.
So glue the Recording item or Commit the input quantize first before do another edit. (like your explain)

BTW i always use Track Input quantize but not for big quantize steps.
I "eliminate" only the MIDI latency time|jitter for the edit view
by an slitly 1/128 or 1/256 Note On and Off quantize.
So that after recording one real 4-6 notes chord looks like an chord
and not maybe as an "one after another playing note^^
Simply by the fact that also with really good MIDI devices,
messages needs time over DIN.
Sometimes ~0.32ms per byte +- jitter. And over USB it is "raw" not really better.

Last edited by ELP; 12-02-2015 at 06:28 AM.
ELP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #5
LugNut

Hi,
@op...could this possibly be another El Captain bug? Sorry don't know it by numbers.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:00 PM   #6
Iokanaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELP View Post
I can really not understand why you have problems and you mean that these could only be an REAPER bug...
Simple : I just downgraded Reaper on both my computers (the one sending the MIDI messages, the one receiving them) from 5.1 to 4.78 : problem solved. (and btw, what a pleasure for the eyes to get back to v4 theme, definitely better than the v5 one to my taste). Exactly the same as this problem appeared when I upgraéded to v5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELP View Post
Maybe no one cares about because only a very few user like you seems to live with such problem?!
And it also doesnt help if you only post such things like this,
with no examples and or settings or whatever....
My first topic was to say that, precisely, we seemed to be several people experiencing the same MIDI issues. And we could have been just one or two, it does not change that an issue so big as this one which was not there in v 4.78 and which appeared in v5 HAS to be solved. I could have had a score to render and give in 2 days for a Hollywood movie and could not afford any longer in time considerations to spend one more second with midi notes just never having an off - aka never ending. If I had been in such situation, I would have just said "fuck it !", imported the midi files in Pro Tools or Cubase and would have never opened Reaper, just ever.

If you want Reaper to play in the yard of grown ups and to be taken with all the seriousness and respect it deserves (to me) as a profesionnal tool adressed to people who simply can't lose their time in such annoying bugs (I mean... no note off !! Wake up, guys !), then do the job. Profesionnal standards entail professionnal expectations from professional users.

Having such a tremendous bug in a new version is NOT doing the job for me, even if it's only a mac issue (sorry but yes I use mac os 10.8.5 and so does Hans Zimmer I guess). Giving absolutely no answer to SEVERAL requests about this bug was not doing the job a second time. As to me. Which is sad because I still consider REaper as an amazing, incredible, unique (and, to my use, unreplacable) software considering all that it allows.

Anyway, I downgraded, it works, so I'll stick to this. But that's a pity that the solution to a problem with a software is just to get back to an older and fully working version.

Last edited by Iokanaan; 12-02-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Iokanaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:32 PM   #7
foxAsteria

I've actually only noticed the many MIDI improvements in v5. Perhaps some of what you are talking about could be solved with the new "off velocity" cc lane? Just a shot in the dark.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:53 AM   #8
gofer
-blänk-

It would be helpful to know what the bug you are referring to actually is (I understand it's about missing note-offs, but under which circumstances is that happening?) and how it can be reproduced. Without that info it's not possible to come up with satisfactory answers.

If you're not interested in giving us reproduction steps yourself, maybe just post a link to one of the other threads you mention where the issue is explained in more detail.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:26 AM   #9
LugNut

Hi,

The one sending midi, and the one recvieving? Huh?

Not understanding......

Haven't had stuck notes since forever, been using all the prerealeases..will check on all my interfaces.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote