Old 12-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
bozmillar
Human being with feelings

Default Does reaper send osc message?

I'm using control (osc + midi) and I can control reaper from my ipad, but I when I move the faders in reaper, it doesn't adjust the faders in Control. It seems like reaper isn't sending osc messages to my ipad. I can send osc messages from my phone to my ipad and everything updates fine, but I can't get reaper to send any info.

I have the ports and IP right (I've double checked that 30 times or so now). Is there something obvious I'm missing?
bozmillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozmillar View Post
I'm using control (osc + midi) and I can control reaper from my ipad, but I when I move the faders in reaper, it doesn't adjust the faders in Control. It seems like reaper isn't sending osc messages to my ipad. I can send osc messages from my phone to my ipad and everything updates fine, but I can't get reaper to send any info.

I have the ports and IP right (I've double checked that 30 times or so now). Is there something obvious I'm missing?
I think you may have missed the comments in the Default.ReaperOSC configuration file, located in the OSC subfolder, explaining the OSC control surface support.

Last edited by Banned; 12-17-2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: one "the" too much
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
bozmillar

I read through those a couple times. Didn't see anything about reaper sending osc messages other than saying that it does send them. but if it is sending them, they aren't making it to my ipad. I'll read through again to see if i'm missing something.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
I read through those a couple times. Didn't see anything about reaper sending osc messages other than saying that it does send them. but if it is sending them, they aren't making it to my ipad. I'll read through again to see if i'm missing something.
I'm not familiar with Control, and would probably need more details to be able to help.

In general, though, for debugging this type of issue, I can recommend setting up some simple OSC monitor in something like Pure data to see what OSC messages are coming out of REAPER / Control.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
bozmillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
In general, though, for debugging this type of issue, I can recommend setting up some simple OSC monitor in something like Pure data to see what OSC messages are coming out of REAPER / Control.
ah, thanks. I've been looking all over for something that could do this. I'll check it out.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
mderrico

Quote:

I can confirm that Reaper does in fact send OSC messages.

I'm implementing OSC in an Android app that I made. Here's what I did:

I set up a fader in my app and I set the OSC prefix to /fader

I then went into Reaper, added a track, clicked on fx, added RealEQ, clicked on 'Learn' and had Reaper learn my fader for the frequency of the first eq point.

That worked perfectly. My fader in my app moved the frequency in the eq perfectly.

Here's the catch:
My fader's prefix is /fader

What Reaper sent to my app was something like:

n/fxeq/band/@/freq n/track/@/fxeq/band/@/freq

That is based on the settings in the file 'Default.ReaperOSC' (inside the 'InstallData' directory).

So, my guess is that the Control app is expecting the same prefix that it sent to Reaper, but instead it's getting something back from Reaper that's completely different.

Problem is that I don't know Reaper, so I'm looking for someone who knows Reaper and that 'Default.ReaperOSC' file really well to help me test this (I have another thread for that).

Hope that info helps

Mark
mderrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mderrico View Post
I can confirm that Reaper does in fact send OSC messages.

I'm implementing OSC in an Android app that I made. Here's what I did:

I set up a fader in my app and I set the OSC prefix to /fader

I then went into Reaper, added a track, clicked on fx, added RealEQ, clicked on 'Learn' and had Reaper learn my fader for the frequency of the first eq point.

That worked perfectly. My fader in my app moved the frequency in the eq perfectly.

Here's the catch:
My fader's prefix is /fader

What Reaper sent to my app was something like:

That is based on the settings in the file 'Default.ReaperOSC' (inside the 'InstallData' directory).

So, my guess is that the Control app is expecting the same prefix that it sent to Reaper, but instead it's getting something back from Reaper that's completely different.

Problem is that I don't know Reaper, so I'm looking for someone who knows Reaper and that 'Default.ReaperOSC' file really well to help me test this (I have another thread for that).

Hope that info helps

Mark
You are confusing the two methods of using OSC with REAPER: the first way is to "Learn" some arbitrary OSC message to some control. NB: THIS WILL *NOT* GENERATE ANY FEEDBACK. The OSC messages that REAPER is sending has *nothing* to do with this first method; they are related to the other method: setting up an OSC "Control Surface", and specifying the OSC message patterns it uses in a *.ReaperOSC configuration file.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
mderrico

And that's why I'm in need of someone who knows Reaper
mderrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
Banned

Quote:
And that's why we are all here. You're quite welcome.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:02 AM   #10
aspiringSynthesisingAlch

Default 'progress report'

Quote:
hi Mark, 'solved' ?
Wondered if you'd since found (I think you needed) what I'll call the coupling configuration information (that Banned referenced) in the .ReaperOSC file, for your Reaper to send the message that the device expects, and not the

Code:
OSC message that (as default?) was being sent out...

btw How do you see the message that's being sent out ?

Thanks
aspiringSynthesisingAlch is offline   Reply With Quote