Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
Reflected
Human being with feelings

Default Cockos:I need an honest answer regarding your vision...what is the future for Reaper?

I was wondering if you can tell me a bit about the future of Reaper...

I need an honest answer regarding your vision...can I trust this program to stay up to date with constant improvements.?

in case that you wont have time or I don't know...will you hire other devs to continue it?

any additional info will be useful for my choices and very appreciated!.

thanks
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
EvilDragon

http://askjf.com/index.php?q=2123s
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
hopi

not the gambling type eh? does that question also bother you as regards any other DAW???
Old 11-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
not the gambling type eh? does that question also bother you as regards any other DAW???
Or anything in life!

Hey Reflected... are you going to still be around tomorrow in case I may want to add more to this??

Geez.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Lawrence

Sounds like someone who's contemplating buying Cubase 7 on Dec 5th?
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
ronmac

I am with the OP on this one.

I mean, really, I got , like, $40 tied up in this software and I want to make sure I get my moneys worth!
ronmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

I mean, really, I got , like, $40 tied up in this software and I want to make sure I get my moneys worth!
man... hate to be the one to say it, but dude, you got screwed!

If you didn't spend more than 500 smackerunies, think what that does to your self esteem!?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

money isn't the issue...

it's about the time I spend to master every spot in this program while I can get used to other program which seems to have brighter longer future...

basically that's the reason I moved to reaper on the first place, so I wonder and care about its future... hope to get some info from the devs.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
Untamed Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
or Sonar X2

or Studio One 2.5

it's a good time to be a ship jumper.

Is this the illusion of choice?

I guess some people still listen to Robert Johnson and get it.
Untamed Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Has Steinberg made that sort of commitment, then?
Old 11-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
Archimedes

Well, there is the possibility of a serious answer to the question. All DAW forums seem to have the same question asked - and really, perhaps there is another flavor to this question as to where DAWs in general are headed (mobile apps? Really? Plug my strat into my iPhone or develop beats on my iPad? - never imagined such a thing 10 years ago).

I learned and used Reason, Ableton and Pro Tools before discovering Reaper (which, BTW - was discussed on a Propellerhead forum enough that it garnered my interest - haven't looked back since then.) They all have a lot in common, and they all have their differences. Some learning will apply no matter which DAW you choose - and some of the nuances that distinguish one from another will have to be learned - and sometimes relearned as improvements and necessary design trades are made. How many Reaper users actively write scripts? Not many I would guess. Reaper is feature rich and gives you the ability to extend it if you have the time, motivation, and willingness to learn.

As for the value - it's absolutely unbeatable. I worry that Reaper doesn't get the attention it deserves because it's so inexpensive. Why on Earth would anyone in their right minds pay $300 or more (Nuendo? $1600? for what?) when they can pay $60 for Reaper? I don't get it. But with the $60 price tag some consumers believe Reaper is an "also ran" and not a serious tool.

I'm currently producing a project and will be in a studio in Dec with musicians from all over the world. We're using an ultra high-end Pro Tools setup in a LA studio. I'm bringing my system to the session though because I already know there are things I can do quickly in Reaper that take much longer in PT.

It's the bomb - and as long as we support it by buying it, and support it by getting the word out, they'll do fine.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
TimOBrien

Yup, there's no guarantee ANY software will be around in 5 or 10 years.

Go ask people who worked with oh...OS2, COBOL, TurboPascal or (my old profession) Lotus Notes.
(yea I know some of those still hang on)

You've got just as much chance of Steinberg, Logic, Digital Performer or Sonar going under.
(ProTools may have a better chance of hanging on due to it's air of Pro status, but even it's had hard times the last few years)

....and it's not like ANY company will tell you it's about to go under - I've had a half-dozen close their doors out from under me and they all smiled and swore they were going great right up until the day they sold off or closed their doors.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Has Steinberg made that sort of commitment, then?
Haha. Not in the known universe that I'm aware of. My comment was just a joke guys.

I ws just kinda playing "Sherlock Homie" a little because A: )They just announced and it (apparwntly) has lots of people excited and B: ) it will be for sale very soon.

Just pulling Refected's leg a little.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOBrien View Post

Go ask people who worked with oh...OS2, COBOL, TurboPascal or (my old profession) Lotus Notes.

You've got just as much chance of Steinberg, Logic, Digital Performer or Sonar going under.
(ProTools may have a better chance of hanging on due to it's air of Pro status, but even it's had hard times the last few years)

....and it's not like ANY company will tell you it's about to go under - I've had a half-dozen close their doors out from under me and they all smiled and swore they were going great right up until the day they sold off or closed their doors.
Except we still have the 2 oldest 3rd Gen languages still in use today - Fortran and LISP. C is getting pretty old and has legs for many decades to come (since so much legacy code is written in C and it's still being taught to undergrad CS majors). LISP is still being taught at the grad level.

Anyone remember Visicalc?
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #15
germac

Quote:

Yup, I remember when I had my Atari STFM, I knew Hybrid Arts SMPTEtrack inside out, then when they folded I got Emagic's Notator - they abandoned the Atari for the Mac and renamed themselves Logic. They were all expensive at a time when I was really struggling (oh wait, THAT hasn't changed!). Reaper is not only an excellent DAW, it's the best deal I have seen in 20 years of computer based recording.
germac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #16
Coachz

Previous Paris Daw user here. One of the two developers (the coder) got a job with the US government writing code and the other passed away after motorcycle induced injuries. Very sad but the code was kept locked up with users unable to access and left abandoned. I was one of them. All the time the coder saying "SOON" there would be an update. Soon never came.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #17
karbomusic

Mommy, can you promise me that everything I may ever count on will follow path that I want it to?
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #18
Artbay

Quote:

or FreeHand, or...
Old 11-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #19
TimOBrien

Oh, I still prefer to use Freehand.

...and when I got my iMac this last year I was real disappointed they took the os9 compatibility out of OSX (mine shipped with Lion). I've got a ton of old ancient Mac installers still on cd from my old days as a prepress/designer.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #20
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Oh, I still prefer to use Freehand.

...and when I got my iMac this last year I was real disappointed they took the os9 compatibility out of OSX (mine shipped with Lion). I've got a ton of old ancient Mac installers still on cd from my old days as a prepress/designer.
I've still got a boatload of OS9 stuff. I'm waiting for MIT to build a time machine so I can go back every once in a while to crash my G4 with too many VSTis.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #21
Win Conway

Ignore all the stupid comments here reflected, you do have a valid question and Justin has already answered it, He has stated quite clearly that if he gets bored of Reaper he will either hire other developers to keep it going or open source it.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #22
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
Ignore all the stupid comments here reflected, you do have a valid question and Justin has already answered it, He has stated quite clearly that if he gets bored of Reaper he will either hire other developers to keep it going or open source it.
I will also ignore the insulting comments reflected here by you, stupid. (But not this one)
Old 11-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #23
funkycornwall

No software is ever guaranteed to continue. If you find Reaper to be great software and it can offer everything you need then what's the problem? Someone mentioned that Pro Tools might be safer in the long run than say Steinberg. I disagree about this. Avid seems to be losing value very rapidly at the moment. They had to sell off divisions of the company (eg. M Audio) to get much needed capital. There are less and less large studios nowadays requiring Pro Tools hardware systems. Avid also stupidly closed the London office of Sibelius and fired the award winning team which produced this great notation program. They said they were going to hire cheaper software designers from the Ukraine. Then they couldn't find the software designers and offered some jobs back to London Sibelius staff. They turned Avid down. Next guess what - Steinberg opens a new Notation development office in London hiring the previously fired Avid Sibelius team. Steinberg/Yamaha couldn't believe their luck in gaining a ready-made team. So with management like this I don't see a great future for Avid and Pro Tools.
funkycornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #24
Diogenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Mommy, can you promise me that everything I may ever count on will follow path that I want it to?
Shut up and go to bed yuz lil' turd!! Can't you see mommy has a visitor...
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #25
Smurf

Legit question.....
Old 11-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #26
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
did anyone read this?
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #27
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
did anyone read this?
Probably not!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #28
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
Probably not! :
Real men don't read. Readin' is for girly men and Democrats.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #29
chucky5p

Quote:
...and Justin has already answered it, He has stated quite clearly that if he gets bored of Reaper he will either hire other developers to keep it going or open source it.
Reference post? (url link)
chucky5p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #30
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky5p View Post
Reference post? (url link)
a more recent post:

http://askjf.com/index.php?q=2123s
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #31
James HE

Quote:
The fully backwards compatible part is the most exciting and scary part, imo. In a way it hinders REAPER from ever being newb friendly, but he's the genius that might actually pull that off - thus I'm pretty confident that he'll keep going cause it is a huge and rewarding challenge.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #32
chucky5p

Quote:
Thanks for the link Jason but unfortunately that link doesn't lead to the URL where these next comments by Justin (in bold) came from:
Quote:
... and Justin has already answered it, He has stated quite clearly that if he gets bored of Reaper he will either hire other developers to keep it going or open source it.
Anyone?
Old 11-20-2012, 12:12 AM   #33
michaeltonight

Agh! No more self-righteous attempts to shame Cockos! It's perfect blend of irritating and boring. Please, spend hundreds more on the competitor's crappy software and go whine in their forum. After using Cubase, PT and Logic intermittently for many years, I am 10000000000% certain that I will never use another DAW voluntarily. Even if REAPER wasn't hands-down my favorite, I would use it because the Cockos' treatment of its customers is beyond stellar.

If Cockos ceased developing REAPER right now, I'd keep using it, no doubt at all. My tape machine and analog console haven't been "developed" continuously for the past 20 years, and they still do a great job at what they do. Reaper 4.3 does exactly what I need it to do, while sparing countless headaches that the other DAWS give me, many of which I took for granted before using REAPER. One of the main reasons I switched to REAPER from Cubendo was that I completely lost confidence in Steinberg's corporate direction. The more promotional emails I get from Steinberg (despite attempts to cease receiving them), the better I feel about that decision. For douches who need to keep up with the Joneses, there are worthless status symbols like PT or the latest second-tier DAW screenshot to drool over and throw your money at. For people who actually want to make music and be treated like kings by their DAW developers there's REAPER. Cockos doesn't get the respect it deserves in the DAW marketing world, and I LOVE the fact that they don't seem to give a shit. They just quietly keep kicking ass, and concentrate on developing customer loyalty by making the customer happy. In my case, mission accomplished.

Last edited by michaeltonight; 11-20-2012 at 12:14 AM. Reason: clarity
michaeltonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:35 AM   #34
DigiDis

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltonight View Post
...If Cockos ceased developing REAPER right now, I'd keep using it, no doubt at all. My tape machine and analog console haven't been "developed" continuously for the past 20 years, and they still do a great job at what they do. Reaper 4.3 does exactly what I need it to do...
I wonder if it will even be necessary for me to upgrade to Reaper 5 as I don't miss anything in 4. It has gotten to the point where I don't think about Reaper when composing and mixing, I just focus on the music and Reaper stays out of my way. For me to go to Reaper 5 Cockos must put in a session view like in Ableton live, or something game changing like that.

There was a great program called Project5, made by Cakewalk. Completely abandoned about 5 years ago. But there are many people who still use it today because it works and is very good at what it does. Even if Reaper goes the way of Project5 I think we can go on for quite a few years doing exactly what we are doing TODAY.
DigiDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:37 AM   #35
run, megalodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiDis View Post
I wonder if it will even be necessary for me to upgrade to Reaper 5 as I don't miss anything in 4.
I'm sure there will be some things that are smoother.
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:51 AM   #36
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky5p View Post
Thanks for the link Jason but unfortunately that link doesn't lead to the URL where these next comments by Justin (in bold) came from:

Anyone?
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...8&postcount=18
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:09 AM   #37
chucky5p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
Thanks Ollie. No wonder I couldn’t find that post, it was made in 2008. Time sure flies...
Old 11-20-2012, 04:39 AM   #38
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by run, megalodon View Post
^Arg, I hope none of that happens for a long time. We need Justin keeping things lean.

Also interesting to learn that Justin likes 3 breasted women. That's fine.

I'd forgotten about that Eccentrica Gallumbits thread

>
Old 11-20-2012, 04:52 AM   #39
matey

I started playing with cubase for atari about 15 years ago and I can't imagine how my music experience would have been like if I was been stuck with it until now.
Then I stumbled on Reaper and things changed to me.
Life is a big amount of boring things you get used to all the way you're living it.
Changes are always welcome, if you ask me, and they make your mind working.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:03 AM   #40
Cosmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by matey View Post
Then I stumbled on Reaper and things changed to me.
Life is a big amount of boring things you get used to all the way you're living it.
Changes are always welcome, if you ask me, and they make your mind working.
Beautifully said.

+1