Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-05-2009, 03:13 AM   #1
tomgadd
Human being with feelings

Default Question regarding max memory in XP for Reaper

how much ram can reaper allocate max in windows xp SP3?
Limit memory allocated by windows for 32 bit dll?

thanks
tomgadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:21 AM   #2
dub3000

i think the official answer is: reaper is /3gb aware but lots and lots of plugins AREN'T.

so i think the safest amount on a 32bit system is 2Gb. anything higher and you're on your own.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
jplanet

I'm using a 3GB switch (with 4GB installed) to good effect on Windows XP SP3 - it seems that unless I do this, I have problems getting Ivory to open while I have Superior Drummer or orchestral libraries loaded up in Kontakt...

Whatever plugins I have that aren't large-address-aware don't seem to mind...
Old 04-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
dub3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplanet View Post
I'm using a 3GB switch (with 4GB installed) to good effect on Windows XP SP3 - it seems that unless I do this, I have problems getting Ivory to open while I have Superior Drummer or orchestral libraries loaded up in Kontakt...

Whatever plugins I have that aren't large-address-aware don't seem to mind...
just keep in mind it only takes one plugin to take the whole setup down, and it can happen at weird times.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
jplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000 View Post
just keep in mind it only takes one plugin to take the whole setup down, and it can happen at weird times.
Please let me know if you know of any specific plugins that do this! I know I just installed Amplitube, and truthfully, all IK products seem to be buggy on my system regardless of the 3GB switch...
Old 04-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
dub3000

on a /3gb system, any 32-bit plugin that doesn't explicitly state that it's /3gb aware (or LAA, or LMA, or something like that) was probably just compiled as a regular dll, and will freak out when windows hands it memory over the 2gb limit. which can happen at any time (but maybe not for ages if you're not using much memory).

worse still, certain versions of some plugins might be okay but older ones might not be.

i just had a hunt around - there doesn't seem to be a master list anywhere of which plugins support that.

i use lots of weird old plugins that are totally unsupported but otherwise stable - i'm not game to try them out on my system.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
jplanet

Do what the name of the site in your sig says, stay calm, and go ahead and try those plugins! :-) Honestly, I have way more old plugins installed on my system than I need, and none of them have problems with 4GB of RAM in Windows XP.

The only indication of anything is when loading my old Garritan Personal Orchestra, it says "not enough memory" when first loading a sample, but it goes ahead and loads it anyway and the project hums along just fine...
Old 04-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #8
dub3000

i'm cpu limited, not RAM limited, anyway, so it's not really an issue for me. most of my drum sounds are either from full band recordings or small sample sets from old drum machines.

(rrp for, say, bfd2 is ~$800AUD. or: i can borrow an amazing vintage drum kit off a mate and get a full day in a treated rehearsal room with my portable 8 track and all my mics and stuff and it'll set me back about a hundred bucks)