Old 05-01-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
macousticboy
Human being with feelings

Default Another ReaTune Question

I have a song written in D Minor, and played in Drop D tuning. I have ReaTune on my vox, and have tried to set it to D Minor but it keeps defaulting to F Major. I know D is part of the F chord, but is this supposed to happen?
macousticboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
arbogast

Don't know if its supposed to happen, but as D-minor contains exactly the same notes as F-major it shouldn't be a problem (supposing none of the sung notes strays on to off-scale notes).
If the singing is reasonably in tune I'd personally go for chromatic unless the aim is to achieve an autotune effect.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
macousticboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbogast View Post
Don't know if its supposed to happen, but as D-minor contains exactly the same notes as F-major it shouldn't be a problem (supposing none of the sung notes strays on to off-scale notes).
If the singing is reasonably in tune I'd personally go for chromatic unless the aim is to achieve an autotune effect.
Thanks for the reply. Thing is, when I try it in D Chromatic, it changes over to A. It's really weird. Like when I close the screen for the effect, and then reopen it, that's when I see the changeover.

Seems to be ok in F Major, and no real "autotune-y" effect as far as I can tell.

How does one even know the thing is working correctly? A lot of the time I can't even tell there's been any change.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:03 AM   #4
simpsongb

A couple of things here......

First, there is a "bug" with the tuning tab...it seems to reset itself to A all the time....it has no effect on the autotune functionality

Secondly, and more inmportantly, I would never just autotune the entire vox track...it will degrade the sound frankly...the better approach is to manually write in corrections using the mouse....this way the plugin only kicks in once in a great while, for example, when the note at the end of a phrase is going flat and you have corrected it to stay on key....

Make sense???
Old 05-03-2012, 06:31 AM   #5
bardo

Personaly agree with that advice.
I use the manual function and seems to work great.
Just draw in where you want to correct the note(s)

Bardo
bardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #6
macousticboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsongb View Post
A couple of things here......

First, there is a "bug" with the tuning tab...it seems to reset itself to A all the time....it has no effect on the autotune functionality

Secondly, and more inmportantly, I would never just autotune the entire vox track...it will degrade the sound frankly...the better approach is to manually write in corrections using the mouse....this way the plugin only kicks in once in a great while, for example, when the note at the end of a phrase is going flat and you have corrected it to stay on key....

Make sense???
Yeah it does. I'm curious as to how it would "degrade the sound?"
Old 05-04-2012, 03:31 AM   #7
KevinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by macousticboy View Post
Yeah it does. I'm curious as to how it would "degrade the sound?"
I'm not sure what simpsongb has experienced, but for me, using the automatic correction for the entire track has resulted in strange slurring of the "s" sounds and other "non-musical" pitches. I believe that the correction algorithm has trouble figuring out what pitch those sounds are SUPPOSED to be, so it kind of gives undesirable results.

I've seen other reports of the automatic mode changing the overall character of the sound, but I have not experienced that myself - or maybe I should say that I can't hear it with my gear/ears.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:58 AM   #8
simpsongb

When I say degrading, I mean that, if you A-B the tuned and non-tuned, I swear there is a difference. Almost like a layer of muddiness subtly laid across the entire track. Indeed, from what I have read, most engineers will take the time to only tweak thos notes that need it, and NOT layer a tuning FX on the notes that do not......

It is a lot more work, but also kind of fun actually........if the vocal is pretty solid, you will not be fixing that much stuff......
Old 05-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
macousticboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsongb View Post
When I say degrading, I mean that, if you A-B the tuned and non-tuned, I swear there is a difference. Almost like a layer of muddiness subtly laid across the entire track. Indeed, from what I have read, most engineers will take the time to only tweak thos notes that need it, and NOT layer a tuning FX on the notes that do not......

It is a lot more work, but also kind of fun actually........if the vocal is pretty solid, you will not be fixing that much stuff......
Yeah I can't say that I hear any difference. And I've even had a couple of other friends who do home recording and have better ears than I do give a listen, & they couldn't either.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
urednik

as simpsongb & KevinW already said the automatic tuning normally gives a bunch of deformations.
However it all depends on what you tune. For higher freq. and not harmonic rich instruments you would hardly notice, however for low male voice it would be already audible from a mile distance.
Also it depends whether the correction is big - it can even make pop's then etc.

So handle with care. You maybe do not hear it now but eventually after 1 year when you come back and give it a listen - you'll just shake you head and say: what the hell was I thinking there ...
W10 (64) Lenovo E540 - SSD; Lenovo B590; W7 (32), Compaq 610 (2.1Ghz core 2 duo, L2 cache, 2GB RAM); DPA 4018, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MTSC 64, Neumann mk184, AEA Ribbon 88mk, AKG SolidTUBE; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, recording merely live acoustic music.
urednik is offline   Reply With Quote