Old 08-26-2015, 07:52 PM   #41
Lawrence
Human being with feelings

I always read these threada for their entertainment value. Like Byre correctly said, all daws aren't the same and shouldn't be because people are different.

At any rate... these threads always evwntually get these kinds of imaginary daw war comments....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plazma View Post
Can you name any DAW where you can do something like remove the silence from an audio clip with a singe click? I can: Reaper.
Yes, I can name at least 3 but I won't.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #42
zardak

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post

In order for a DAW to actually achieve that, it would have to try, and succeed, in being all things to all people.
You're were referring to my comment about the wheel. What i'm saying is that the wheel is not 'trying' to be all things to all people, it simply 'IS' being all things to all people (sincerely not trying to start a philosophy class about it).

I believe that < "that" is redundant here) most DAWs are actually trying to be all things to all people, and that's actually their downfall or their failing. I'm actually daring to say that open-ended (even to a small extent) DAW methodologies are actually not the way to go. I wish any DAW-maker would put me on their design team as head designer so i can help them make their DAW parallel as close as possible to the 'timeless' irreplaceable principle (geometric circle) of the wheel. You can make a wheel from different materials, you can make it lighter or heavier, you can give it spokes or no spokes, but no one can re-invent it, there's nothing in existence that can improve on it for it's designated purpose. I'm saying it's possible for a DAW to mimic that.

I have being accused of not giving ideas in my posts, but really i mentioned clearly that 'KISS' is the best approach, and i do believe that Less Is More also reinforces that. And Bruce Lee topped it off when he said "The shortest distance between two points".
I made a point that the least amount of mouse-clicks possible to achieve any given function is the way to go. To some extent i'm saying that a DAW developer should 'prioritize' what the 'fundamental' and 'most-used' functions are in a DAW 90% of the time, and then make those functions as intuitive and accessible as possible with the least amount of mouse-clicks, then streamline the user-interface to reflect that. I don't have the time or desire to learn how to 'customize' a DAW, i just want to get-down to making music in the most practical efficient way possible, and all within an elegant nice-looking streamlined graphics theme. It can be done...

Last edited by zardak; 08-27-2015 at 03:19 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:45 PM   #43
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zardak View Post
And as for cost, everyone knows that by the time required plugins are bought, then the so-called cost-advantage of Reaper disappears; just a simple fact.
- Emphasis mine.

zardak, I would question whether this generalization holds up under scrutiny. Whatever your feelings about the "different strokes for different folks" thing, not everyone has the same needs, not least when it comes to plug-ins. For some people what you say may well be true, but I'm not sure that they would make up the larger part of Reaper's user base. Be interesting to find out. Without empirical evidence we can't be sure. Just asserting something to be true may be simple but doesn't make it a fact!

For example, most of my third party plugins are either freeware (Kjaerhus, Melda, Bootsy, TWest, etc) or modestly priced little gems. And I suspect that many users of other programs (Sonar, Cubase, etc) might also end up purchasing the odd third party plug in or three....

BTW, I wasn't being sarcastic when I asked about that kitchen analogy - I genuinely couldn't figure it out. No worries, no biggie.

Last edited by nicholas; 08-27-2015 at 02:11 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:39 AM   #44
zardak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
- Emphasis mine.

zardak, I would question whether this generalization holds up under scrutiny. Whatever your feelings about the "different strokes for different folks" thing, not everyone has the same needs, not least when it comes to plug-ins. For some people what you say may well be true, but I'm not sure that they would make up the larger part of Reaper's user base. Without empirical evidence we can't be sure. Just asserting something to be true may be simple but doesn't make it a fact!

For example, most of my third party plugins are either freeware (Kjaerhus, Melda, Bootsy, TWest, etc) or modestly priced little gems.

BTW, I wasn't being sarcastic when I asked about that kitchen analogy - I genuinely couldn't figure it out. No worries, no biggie.
With the kitchen analogy i was drawing a parallel between the wheel and the methodologies required to make a centuries old meal recipe which may have attained the status of 'timeless'.
In many classic recipes the formula has been perfected over many years and it can't be improved, and many combine simplicity coupled with quality ingredients, and then the meal is cooked in a specific way.

Once you have a classic recipe it becomes timeless, it has been tried and tested and refined to the point that any variation on it doesn't really improve it. What i'm saying is... design the DAW in such a way that it comes close to timeless... the user-interface methodologies combined with efficiency and practicality to the point where it can hardly be improved upon, like the recipe for a classic meal or the timeless design of the wheel. Currently Reaper is a niche DAW, and niche products have a limited market. Why not go for a timeless design that suits all-comers? That's what i'm sayin.

Regarding the plugins, the majority of producers I know spend at least a few hundred dollars on DAW plugins, and a lot of other producers spend over a thousand. In general, freebies and cheapies can only get you so far.

Nonetheless if you're a proponent of the Graham Cochrane ideology and approach, then fine, get the cheap stuff and knock yourself out, but i prefer to get some tailor-made effects plugins and soundsets done by pros, and we know these cost money, and a lot of producers serious about their craft usually will and do spend considerable money to get required extras, but Reaper's offerings are token-gesture stuff. Kudos to Cockos for their approach, Reaper is very affordable and let's you decide if you wish to purchase extras, but i would rather Cockos charged more for Reaper and then provide a good base of bread&butter quality Effects and Sounds rather than the current rag-tag motley-crew bunch it comes with now.

Last edited by zardak; 08-27-2015 at 03:46 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:45 AM   #45
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Regarding the plugins, the majority of producers I know spend at least a few hundred dollars on DAW plugins, and a lot of other producers spend over a thousand. In general, freebies and cheapies can only get you so far.
And is it in every case to use with Reaper, or also to use with other DAWs (such as Logic, Cubase, Sonar etc)? The latter seems more likely, unless your circle of producer friends is confined to Reaper users only?

Also, are you talking about pro or semi pro high level producers or typical users?
Old 08-27-2015, 03:48 AM   #46
zardak

Quote:
And is it in every case to use with Reaper, or also to use with other DAWs (such as Logic, Cubase, Sonar etc).

The difference is that those other DAWs already come with pro-grade effects plugins and soundsets; a pro result can be obtained with only the plugins provided in those DAWs, nothing more needs to be bought, but Reaper is sparse on that front and extra plugins and sounds need to be added, that's the difference...
Old 08-27-2015, 03:50 AM   #47
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
The difference is that those other DAWs already come with pro-grade effects plugins and soundsets; a pro result can be obtained with only the plugins provided in those DAWs, nothing more needs to be bought, but Reaper is sparse on that front and extra plugins and sounds need to be added, that's the difference...
Doesn't answer the question, sorry! I still see no evidence either:
a) that the majority of Reaper users actually spend big $$$ on plug-ins or
b) that no other DAW users do.

If you believe that you need expensive plug-ins to produce good outcomes with Reaper, then as an opinion what you say is perfectly valid, certainly as valid as (but no more than) mine, which is that I can get perfectly good results without that.

What I am questioning is your assertion that it is a "simple fact" that all Reaper users end up spending $$$ on plug-ins, whereas users of other DAWs don't.

Last edited by nicholas; 08-27-2015 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-27-2015, 04:12 AM   #48
Lokasenna

Quote:
a pro result can be obtained with only the plugins provided in those DAWs, nothing more needs to be bought, but Reaper is sparse on that front and extra plugins and sounds need to be added, that's the difference...
You might think a pro result requires $3000 worth of plugins, but you'd be wrong.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:16 AM   #49
statue

I also think there is something fundamentally wrong in the development and design of Reaper.
More so in the user experience design. Which basically is do-it-yourself in Reaper.

The developers and code are top quality, but somehow Reaper lacks direction.
But maybe that kinda is the point. And maybe that just does not click with me in the long run.

But the biggest problem for me is, that Reaper does not feel musical.
That's why I'm most likely going to move on to a different DAW for creating music.

I will however continue using Reaper for mixing, mastering, sound design stuff.
Audio editing in Reaper is a bliss!
Old 08-27-2015, 04:16 AM   #50
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
You might think a pro result requires $3000 worth of plugins, but you'd be wrong.
It is my experience that (assuming the software used is capable and not crap) the most important factor is the skills/knowledge of the musicians and recording personnel.

Last edited by nicholas; 08-27-2015 at 04:24 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:20 AM   #51
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by statue View Post
That's why I'm most likely going to move on to a different DAW for creating music.
Perfectly sensible if whichever alternative you find suits you better.... Hope it works out for you.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:12 AM   #52
Lawrence

Quote:
It is my experience that (assuming the software used is capable and not crap) the most important factor is the skills/knowledge of the musicians and recording personnel.
I'm gonna play devil's advocate here because your comment makes - SO - much sense, and there is a literal s__t ton of evidence in music stores supporting the idea that music made long before we had any of this crap still sounds better than the crap me mostly make.

But.... ... if that's true (and it is, what you say) why do Reaper users so often resort to the "Reaper can do something no other daw can do!" argument (even when they're wrong 80% of the time)?

That's why I find these threads so entertainng, the position shifting just for sake of argument.

Anyway, I think mature people like you and i know full well that professionals get their work done in everything, as a factual matter, and the other stuff is mostly just tribal pyschology kicking in, and that among the major players there is no such thing as crap software.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:18 AM   #53
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
if that's true (and it is, what you say) why do Reaper users so often resort to the "Reaper can do something no other daw can do" argument (even when they're wrong 80% of the time)?
You won't find one single post where I have said that Reaper can produce a quality of output not achievable by any other DAW. I can't speak for anybody else.

I have no issue with anybody having any opinion about DAW X being better (or worse) than Reaper. Everybody is entitled to an opinion. Mine is that Reaper works better for me than any other that I have used. Please note I said "for me."

I do, however, have objection when opinion is presented as fact.

Last edited by nicholas; 08-27-2015 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Grammar!
Old 08-27-2015, 05:28 AM   #54
acousticglue

In SawStudio world you had basic lite and full. And the crappiest looking interface ever. Thing I still like about that program is the ability to have layers on the tracks so each take was numbered and beneath. In SAW you still have too many functions that some people want and most others will never use. The ability to hide those or grey ungrey them would seem a plausible thing. Me I toss a midi drum track on and play along with VSTs. Might record a vocal. Not doing anything else and hey there may be 400 others that do same thing.

Resizing windows and moving things around is not a drag and drop for all items in Reaper and that is clunky. You can do alot of things in original but can't do these things I've found in all user created themes. I simply want to resize windows of the faders and tracks shown and use F key to save. I know this does this in a way but not as easily.

Lastly I do not care what the default theme looks like. I dont need many of the other functions some users ask for but if I do good to know they are there.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:34 AM   #55
OttoPus

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia View Post
I'll just add that I am still totally happy with Reaper. It's not as refined in the aesthetics but for me it suits my work flow exactly and increases productivity.

I don't see 5 as a major version since I don't seem to have come across anything new that I didn't have before.

The plugins that come with Reaper don't mean anything to me as I have all the plugins I need from 3rd party vendors. Yes, the old style windows 98 boxes look hideous but they are totally functional and flexible. And all this for $60?
No much more to add.

The productivity boost in the mixing stage when I switched from ProTools and Logic was unbelievable.

No more hours spent "preparing the session", with Reaper you can just start and skip all of those idiosyncrasies bound to the old analog console world, being still able to mix in that style if you want.

There's no competition in the flexibility field, Reaper is the only one of his kind.

Reaper indeed reinvented the wheel, successfully.

Well, if only a BeatDetective-alike could be implemented... but that's for the wishlist
Old 08-27-2015, 05:37 AM   #56
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticglue View Post
In SawStudio world you had basic lite and full. And the crappiest looking interface ever. Thing I still like about that program is the ability to have layers on the tracks so each take was numbered and beneath.
Saw had much going for it (the price sadly not being one of them ). I do agree its interface was to say the least somewhat daggy, but for me the GUI (so long as you can make sense of it) is way down the list of priorities (but others of course will, as they are entitled to, differ).

Don't laugh, but for some weird reason I had an almost total mental block on how it used function keys, though the concept was a simple one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticglue View Post
Lastly I do not care what the default theme looks like.
Amen to that (within reason!). Substance above form any day!

Last edited by nicholas; 08-27-2015 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Grammar!
Old 08-27-2015, 05:48 AM   #57
Lawrence

Quote:
You won't find one single post where I have said that Reaper can produce a quality of output not achievable by any other DAW. I can't speak for anybody else.

I have no issue with anybody having any opinion about DAW X being better (or worse) than Reaper. Everybody is entitled to an opinion. Mine is that Reaper works better for me than any other that I have used. Please note I said "for me."

I do, however, have objection when opinion is presented as fact.
Oh, I thought my post was clear that I certainly was not talking about you, on the contrary, I find your observations to be rational. I was only chuckling at the idea of some always saying what X does better than Y, then turning around and doing the exact opposite when presented with something Y does better than X, saying, "Well, a good musician or engineer doesn't need that anyway." That's how the discussions often go. Guy A says Reaper is the best deal on the market, then somebody else says Logic comes with everything you need for $199, then guy A finds a way to dismiss or minimize the factual reality of that.

But not you. I've never seen you waffle like that.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:51 AM   #58
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
But not you. I've never seen you waffle like that.
Sorry paL, I obviously misread you. My apologies! OOps!

Not a criticism of you, but I'll just add that this "fanboi" thing does cut both ways. It is in my view equally flawed for one person criticising Reaper (or anything else) to support their case with absurd statements like "everybody knows" that "it's a simple fact" that every Reaper user has to spend big $$$ on plug-ins to get decent outcomes as it is for another on the opposite side to make some equally ridiculous claim.

I just wish the human race in general could learn to distinguish between opinion and fact ...

Last edited by nicholas; 08-27-2015 at 06:02 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:57 AM   #59
Lawrence

No problem. Like I said, the threads are always really entertaining but there are a few "rocks" like yourself and evil Dragon and Airon and some others who don't have any issue talking about what Reaper doesn't do well, and are not always instinctively rushing to rationalize and defend it's subjective shortcomings whenever someone brings one of those things up.

You should know that some of us do appreciate that.

The reality is that for every Ying there is a Yang. Functionaliy, Reaper is great, interface wise it has some issues in design. Of course we always balance those things so nothing like that is ever a show stopper, just discussion among users.

I - LOVE - mouse modifiers. I - LOVE - track templates. I literally hate the automation system and I hate the plugin windows. Ying and yang.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:41 AM   #60
Irvin

Quote:
Here with v5 they had an opportunity to simplify the entire program and refine it, but also redo the graphics theme to look more modern and elegant. Overall i still struggle with accepting Reaper for what it is. I wonder if the developers have ever heard of KISS (keep it SIMPLE stupid) or LIM (Less is more).
As is always the case with software developed by Open Source sympathizers, Reaper appeals to nerds rather than the general public - which turns out to be a fatal mistake in 99% of cases, as people just ignore the software thinking that it does not work as well as a better-looking commercial alternative.

Reaper and Cockos' website and forums share the same flawed design "philosophy". This would be an excellent time to commission a total makeover. Bring some outside help because Reaper deserves it. It's easily as good as any other DAW out there, but it's also the ugliest one out-of-the-box.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:49 AM   #61
Win Conway

Quote:
Sorry paL, I obviously misread you. My apologies! OOps!

Not a criticism of you, but I'll just add that this "fanboi" thing does cut both ways. It is in my view equally flawed for one person criticising Reaper (or anything else) to support their case with absurd statements like "everybody knows" that "it's a simple fact" that every Reaper user has to spend big $$$ on plug-ins to get decent outcomes as it is for another on the opposite side to make some equally ridiculous claim.

I just wish the human race in general could learn to distinguish between opinion and fact ...
Actually your example here is flawed, fanbois may cut both ways, however in this case i think you may be mistaken personal experience vs actual nonsense, for instance...

Everybody knows that when factoring in the cost of 3rd party plugins, Reaper is just as expensive, that is a simple fact.

Your experience = I use Reaper to mix, therefore it has plenty of plugins

Other experience = I use Reaper to write compositions and it literally comes with zero instruments (reasamplomatic puuuleeease)

Neither is a fanboy attitude, however, one person has bad feelings about v5, a bunch of other people call them names, proclaim Reaper as the saviour of the world, others point out that the latest version is boring/ugly/stupid (fill your boots here) and the cycle of discussion goes from the fact that while some are happy with Reaper, some think improvements are needed, to your a fanbois, hes a fanbois, yo momma a fanbois.

And yet again the heat that should be in Reapers developers is just turned in to nonsense.
Perhaps you think that anybody who has an issue with Reaper and posts about it here has some ulterior motive for making you unwell or something, i dong really know, but complaints about Reaper are a sure fire way to turn a thread in to a joke round here.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:52 AM   #62
kenz

I'm starting to get annoyed by "non-nerds" who want eye candy. If you don't like the nerd style, then use a DAW like FL Studio, I'm sure you know its target audience. (not saying FL studio is a bad DAW, but its audience is definitely kids making beats and looking cool at it, compared to reaper who's for "nerds" as you put it -- very capable DAW though)

Get it over already that some people, aka the nerds as you put them, want an efficient DAW and like Reaper for what it is and how it looks and how it is customizable and so on; it's not a perfect DAW, since every DAW can get new features etc. But you want it to be like other DAWs, and want it by default without bothering to customize it (which is entirely possible) then just use the god damn other DAWs then. Is that so hard?

I'm not defending Reaper or being a fanboy. It's simply the DAW STYLE that I like the most and I'd like to keep it that way. Do you have a problem acknowledging that such preferences exist? Then use something else. I'm using what was made for me (I mean not *directly*, but clearly you think Reaper's target audience is nerds so...), why won't you instead of whining?
Old 08-27-2015, 06:54 AM   #63
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
Perhaps you think that anybody who has an issue with Reaper and posts about it here has some ulterior motive
No I don't and nothing I have said could reasonably lead you to accuse me of this - though I wouldn't dismiss the possibility that SOMETIMES this can be the case. Please feel free to quote where I have ever said or implied this if you care to. Perhaps you should cite evidence before making allegations? Frankly, personal attacks like this do you no credit.

I don't think I can explain this any better, but lets just have one more try.

I do ask for comments to be supported by facts rather than just opinions. Sorry, can't make it any clearer than that. I deal in facts, not snide remarks.

Last edited by nicholas; 08-27-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:01 AM   #64
Win Conway

So you are saying that nobody has a valid opinion and that only facts are relevant in any discussion/comments of a users preferences when it comes to this software ?

*edit because you edited your pist after i had replied
Are you having a bad day ? Nobody accused you of anything, you may want to consider not jumping to conclusions, not the first time in this thread i may add !!!
Old 08-27-2015, 07:16 AM   #65
SmajjL

Just air**

I have no problem leaving this forum and Reaper and my apartment and my country etc etc if I am not happy, still 'working on leaving the planet though, can't do that yet but hey! future is bright and I feel free as a birdy nam-nam.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:22 AM   #66
nicholas
Scribe

[QUOTE=gpunk_w;1564541]
Are you having a bad day ? /QUOTE]

No... but thank you for asking.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:29 AM   #67
vdubreeze

Quote:

Nonetheless if you're a proponent of the Graham Cochrane ideology and approach, then fine, get the cheap stuff and knock yourself out, but i prefer to get some tailor-made effects plugins and soundsets done by pros, and we know these cost money, and a lot of producers serious about their craft usually will and do spend considerable money to get required extras, but Reaper's offerings are token-gesture stuff. Kudos to Cockos for their approach, Reaper is very affordable and let's you decide if you wish to purchase extras, but i would rather Cockos charged more for Reaper and then provide a good base of bread&butter quality Effects and Sounds rather than the current rag-tag motley-crew bunch it comes with now.
I feel that Reaper's bundled array of plugins and lack of instruments and third party attractions is perfect. It fits with Reaper's whole approach. There are things I'm definitely not down with as far as using Reaper but this is definitely not one of them. First of all, this is what every other DAW is chasing, so why put yourself in the same race if you're not interested in signing on for that competition in so many other aspects? It's a consistent philosophy for Cockos.

Also, it's just one of those things that keeps the developer's life simpler. Relationships with plugin developers, who have their own needs and release calendars, take up a lot of time and energy in a company with a bare bones structure. All of the DAWs that I can think of that come bundled with anything that qualifies as purchase enticement are either much, much larger companies or roll their own (MOTU). Bitwig Studio, which looks to be very cool and powerful (and different) and is marketed as something with every plugin category filled with plugins, is going for $300. I wish them luck but that means the kind of $$ commitment Reaper doesn't ask for, and I'm not sure how many DAW users they'll pull in. Not many impulse buyers, I'd think. Whereas Reaper qualifies as an impulse buy for many, another tool in the box. Was for me. I have several DAW licenses, including PT, and a few years ago I bought Reaper because, well, because I could : )

Power features and actual use aside, there's a lot to be said for standing out in your price range. And just looking at DAWs on a chart, Reaper owns the under $100 category.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:38 AM   #68
Lawrence

Re: "Nerdy", which seems to offend some...

I don't know Justin but he appears to be a literal tech nerd, and his designs highly reflect his personality. All you have to do is look at the new video functionality, it is, comparitively speaking, a nerdy software design where you type stuff into a JS code window to change some things. It's true, Reaper is more a "nerdy" daw than most if not all others.

Of course you don't have to touch scripts or extensions or any of that stuff to record and mix music but a lot of advanced functionality is wrapped in those things, see the many threads where highly intelligent "nerds" (term of affection) like James HE are spending hours, days, weeks on scripts to do things that some other daws do out of the box.

Why does that (what seems to be an easily clear to me anyway) truth cause so many bad reactions?

It's not "eye candy" to want common controls to edit video as opposed to JS, or something that resembles a good graphic editor. There is nothing flashy at all about Vegas's video plugin editor window, on the contrary, the graphic design of the window is rather bland. It's not "eye candy" to maybe want to do some things without using ReaConsole.

Reaper kinda created a small mini industry of hacker / nerds building stuff, which is cool, and probably exactly what Justin (a tech nerd) and company wanted. The obvious upside of Reaper being a nerdy daw is that lots more is "possible" to get done in some kind of way, the downside is that some of it maybe should not have to be done after market at all. How different people view it is just a matter of personal perspective.

I personally like the flexibility of Reaper, how open it is to third party modification, but I also feel like it maybe leans too heavily that way, that the relative balance is too far leaning that way. That because of all the scripting some things that maybe should be native code are just left for nerds to create.

Big props to SPK77 and JamesHE and the others that don't mind doing what 95% of Reaper users can't do and/or would never even bother to do in any product. Collectively, they've probably spend months (literally) doing that stuff.

To say Reaper is the "Linux of Daws" is not, imo, unfair at all.

Last edited by Lawrence; 08-27-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:43 AM   #69
fladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvin View Post
As is always the case with software developed by Open Source sympathizers, Reaper appeals to nerds rather than the general public - which turns out to be a fatal mistake in 99% of cases, as people just ignore the software thinking that it does not work as well as a better-looking commercial alternative.

Reaper and Cockos' website and forums share the same flawed design "philosophy". This would be an excellent time to commission a total makeover. Bring some outside help because Reaper deserves it. It's easily as good as any other DAW out there, but it's also the ugliest one out-of-the-box.
We need a facepalm smiley...
Old 08-27-2015, 07:56 AM   #70
SmajjL

Old 08-27-2015, 08:06 AM   #71
James HE

Quote:

Big props to SPK77 and JamesHE and the others that don't mind doing with 95% of Reaper users can't do, and/or would never even bother to do in any product. Collectively, they've probably spend months (literally) doing that stuff.
I do it cause i love you guys... T_T

And it's enjoyable for me.

I'm not much of a gamer anymore, but yeah I used to fiddle around and make my own content for games I really liked. Same sort of idea in a way - you can really personalize your experience.

That may seem like some waste of time for others, but I do value it. Because I've spent enough time just really "playing" around with scripts and JS, whenever I am mixing or recording, I am always able to execute any and every idea I have.. that's the payoff for me.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:07 AM   #72
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
Power features and actual use aside, there's a lot to be said for standing out in your price range. And just looking at DAWs on a chart, Reaper owns the under $100 category.
I think GPunk's somewhat aggressive posting style sometimes obscures his valid point. I'll try to frame what I think he meant into a proper (correct) context.

A person - a typical first time home daw user, not super producer x who already owns $1000 worth of instruments - can buy something like Logic and make a record, withiut buying anything else. Really. $199. It has great instruments, great plugins, great reverb, great drum samples and drum instruments, etc, etc. You supply the talent. And most of that revolves around electronic music and/or genres that are laregely based on samplers and such, which stretch way farther than just typical EDM.

Now take a first time daw user with Reaper for $60 and match Logic's electronic music production ability (instruments, plugins, verbs etc) without going over $199. Good luck with that. And nope, despite what some people say you aren't going to match all of that with freeware, That particular first time user who owns nothing at all will more often end up spending a good bit more than $199 to get anything close to all that.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:43 AM   #73
morgon

Its all about priorities yes?, my personal main priorities are straightforward:- DAW is very reliable, stable, low latency and recorded material plays back correctly, reliable editing is possible on the fly no problems, projects open efficiently, possible to copy paste between projects easily, flexible record modes, MIDI driven insts play well, freezing tracks maintains audio integrity etc, iow the meat and potato stuff which Reaper does very well, that is a fact.

Anything beyond that kind of thing is an absolute bonus imo, inc Nicholas' excellent user manual. Not saying other DAWS dont do those things, this one does for sure.

And it "feels" snappy and is very reliable even while editing in playback mode with loads of plugins and stuff running, no problem, again not saying other DAWS cant do that, this one definitely does though.

Automation is something spoken about a lot, I rarely use it bc most of the source recording levels I do are pretty consistent and individual item editing is flexible.

Im not saying people's complaints arent legit within their own frameworks, but theres users such as me who are quite in tune with Reapers direction generally and it seems theres a lot of us about, having said that I would now like to make the following feature requests... to be continued
Old 08-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #74
gingertimmins

Just to wade into this thread uninvited....
I see no issue with the interface- it is what it is and it does the job. It's a helluva lot more attractive than some of the dusty old analogue desks that I've had to sit behind and far more flexible!

I'm neither fanboi or nerd. I am pretty new to reaper, coming from Cubase and I don't mind that the plug in windows are ugly and basic and to be honest, I think that most of the stock plugs in reaper sound better and are easier to use than Cubase's.

One niggle I did have was that the initial setup of the menus etc was quite intense but as has been mentioned before, you can customize it to your liking- something that other daws tend to leave out.

I'm guessing that most people come to reaper via another daw? Maybe someone can make a logic profile(I don't just mean the theme), a pt profile and so on so that it's just like using that software.
I won't be that person though because A)I can't program for shit and B) I worry more about getting my bassline to sit nicely with my kick drum than how pretty my daw looks
Old 08-27-2015, 09:05 AM   #75
SmajjL

My "savant" (what evs) part of my long term memory is starting to see the whole internet as a copy-loop-"inspired soap opera and some 'genres' suffers more than others, that is DAW vs OS vs GPU vs HowTOBestCookTurkey etc..
Ps, not directed at anyone!! just thinking out text, as usual.

*me hides! again.. * meep meep *pjoff!*

Last edited by SmajjL; 08-27-2015 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Free will, Choice = good. :)
Old 08-27-2015, 09:17 AM   #76
morgon

Wile E Coyote is always remembered for the bad stuff but never was appreciated for his paintings of tunnels. And what with all the Acme stuff he bought why didn't he just buy a chicken dinner?
Old 08-27-2015, 09:49 AM   #77
SmajjL

LOL! haha-he guess I was to busy sucking my thumb, sowwy Coyote, wewwy sowwy, good job.
Thank you again morgon.

Yes! we are Still On Semi-Topic!
Why why-why not chose the easy way if possible, why-why?

Last edited by SmajjL; 08-27-2015 at 09:56 AM. Reason: To many smilies even for me. :P
Old 08-27-2015, 10:06 AM   #78
DBMusic

I never understand threads like this. Justin and Co. will design the kind of DAW they want...and honestly, their system of development is inclusive of user feedback (and no, everyone does not get everything they want).

If Reaper doesn't work for you, purchase something else.

Sometimes I think that those who can make music, do. Those who can't, seek cathartic release in finding fault with the tools.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #79
analogexplosions

I've read so much toxic belly-aching recently on here, especially since the release of v5.

I can't for the life of me understand why, really. I can't think of another DAW that has extensive feature-set that Reaper does. My mind is completely blown seemingly every other day on what Reaper can do to speed up my workflow (which is what I use Reaper for; work).

Someone on here used a "kitchen" analogy to describe Reaper vs other DAWs, but I think they missed the mark with that. Here's a better way to use that: The "recipes" are the work you create with any DAW, and the "tools" are the DAW itself. Using another DAW is kind of like having a kitchen stocked with very mission-specific gadgets, like a counter top filled with a rice-cooker, crock pot, juicer, vegetable peeler, spiralizer, dehydrator, etc.

While those can be nice things to have sometimes, I can do a hell of a lot more (and far more creatively) with a good set of well seasoned cast-iron skillets/pots and a great set of well maintained and freshly sharpened knives.

I absolutely LOVE the fact that Reaper tends to focus more on the core toolset and less on these flashy gadgets. It is BY FAR the most flexible DAW I've ever used, and has allowed me to customize it create a workflow that works perfectly for me.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #80
woodentop

I don't get this "ugly" business.

REAPER is a tape recorder without the tape. How is it going to look "beautiful" when there's no chrome or cute little LED displays?

I went to the Stash and downloaded a theme. I've attached a screenshot of my theme.

It looks like a DAW.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg REAPER.jpg (64.6 KB, 210 views)
Closed Thread