Old 06-25-2016, 06:41 AM   #1
n3mmr
Human being with feelings

Default Time delay stereo panning?

It would be nice if you could add a "time delay" panning mode, to simulate an a/b stereo recorded very narrow spread sound source.
n3mmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:56 AM   #2
nofish

There's "Time Difference Pan" JS effect included with Reaper.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:10 AM   #3
n3mmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
There's "Time Difference Pan" JS effect included with Reaper.
Does that work in v5? I cannot seem to make it produce anything useful, just a few crackles and pops.

But, I'm a newbie of the worst kind, and I probably just don't know how to use that plugin.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:18 PM   #4
n3mmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3mmr View Post
Does that work in v5? I cannot seem to make it produce anything useful, just a few crackles and pops.

But, I'm a newbie of the worst kind, and I probably just don't know how to use that plugin.
I found out about the time difference pan fx: it is NOT a stereo placement panning effect! It introduces a fattening echo of a special kind.

What I want is a monophonic sound source positioning time difference stereo pan.

I e by outputting a sound with equal loudness from the left speaker about a little before it appears from the right speaker, it appears to be coming from somewhere in the left half of the sound stage. With a time diff of 0.5 ms, the sound would appear to come from around halfway between centre and left, with speakers at 60° apart.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:31 PM   #5
tls11823

Create multiple taps in ReaDelay, pan one left and the other right, and add different delay times on each. If I understand your request, that should accomplish what you're chasing.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:19 PM   #6
n3mmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls11823 View Post
Create multiple taps in ReaDelay, pan one left and the other right, and add different delay times on each. If I understand your request, that should accomplish what you're chasing.
I'm also looking for an immediate placement control, a direct pan slider, and, ideally, combined level/time difference panning.

So that moving the pan control could be set up to emulate what happens when a sound source moves across the stage in front of different types of microphone arrangements: X/Y, ORTF, NOS, A/B.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:29 AM   #7
tls11823

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3mmr View Post
So that moving the pan control could be set up to emulate what happens when a sound source moves across the stage in front of different types of microphone arrangements: X/Y, ORTF, NOS, A/B.
Um, OK. That sounds pretty complex. I don't have a clue of how to accomplish anything like that.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:50 AM   #8
Mordi

I use the channel time delayer JS plugin. Very simple and useful.
Mordi is offline   Reply With Quote