Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-27-2016, 11:35 AM   #1
MW1
Human being with feelings

Default Windows problem - perhaps not Reaper itself?

Hello,
Have any of you ever experienced an error such as this when closing down a Reaper session in which you have multiple project tabs open? All runs ok, then when I just Reaper down I get this error.

reaper_host32.exe - Error
'The Instruction at 0x0000000008724732 referenced memory at 0x0000000008932BAC. The memory could not be 'read'

I am running Reaper 64-bit in Windows 10 (haven't ever had any problems) on a Samsung evo 850 SSD, and with 16 GB Ram.

Never had any problems before today.

Max RAM used with all project tabs loaded is about 3.6 GB. RAM diagnostics say all is good.

Thanks!
MW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:39 AM   #2
karbomusic

There should be a setting about fully unloading plugins when closing the project. See if you can find and set that. It might be the one similar to "complete unload of VSTs" but my memory may be wonky. I had the same issue a couple years ago and that fixed it, although there could be other causes.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:50 AM   #3
MW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
There should be a setting about fully unloading plugins when closing the project. See if you can find and set that. It might be the one similar to "complete unload of VSTs" but my memory may be wonky. I had the same issue a couple years ago and that fixed it, although there could be other causes.
Ok thanks! I shall try that.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:26 PM   #4
MW1

hmm...
that particular option actually didn't change anything.

What did change something was to set my plug-in bridging to all be dedicated processes.

Which stumps me, because it has always been set to automatic bridging and I have never had this problem before.

Confused. :/
Old 06-27-2016, 12:55 PM   #5
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW1 View Post
hmm...

What did change something was to set my plug-in bridging to all be dedicated processes.

Which stumps me, because it has always been set to automatic bridging and I have never had this problem before.

You may have an individual plugin acting up, putting it in a dedicated process means it can't take Reaper down with it if it has problems. Automatic bridging only addresses bitness mismatches (32/64)etc, it can't know if a plugin is going to act up once loaded so your explicitly loading into a dedicated process sort of takes Reaper out of the picture.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:01 PM   #6
sickamorz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW1 View Post
hmm...

Do you have any vst or vsti that automatically when reaper is started ask for donations, I had that once that would cause reaper to not close properly. I deleted the begging vst / vsti the problem went away.
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:17 AM   #7
MW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamorz View Post
Do you have any vst or vsti that automatically when reaper is started ask for donations, I had that once that would cause reaper to not close properly. I deleted the begging vst / vsti the problem went away.
No nothing like that.

I did get rid of a plugin that needed to stay open all the time across all projects (a visual metronome vst) and that seems to be helping, I have even gone back to the non-dedicated process setting (which seemed to be triggering the problem when activated)

Sounds logical that since it was open all the time in multiple projects that there would be a possible problem... not super logical, though, that it worked in that fashion for months without issue but so far so good for now.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:58 AM   #8
MW1

Meh...
Started again.
Back to almost square one.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:22 AM   #9
MW1

An update if ever anyone ever sees this problem.
This problem had gotten progressively worse, this error had gone from being only on shutdown (not on save or load) to happening right in the middle of running a project.

I still don't know what happened, but thankfully I backup my projects regularly.

I had resorted to eliminating all 32-bit plugins from my projects (I run 64 bit) so no bridging ever.
Projects closed without issue. No error message.

I then saved these projects under a different name.

I loaded my backups that still had all 32-bit vsts intact.
No problem at all.

So, something got corrupted along the way. It is a mystery to me what that could have been.