Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 03-27-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
vanhaze
Human being with feelings

Default Just upgraded to macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and all seems fine.

I just upgraded from macOS Sierra 10.12.3 to 10.12.4 and all seems fine in Reaper.

I used the Combo update (always highly advisable above the "incremental" "delta" update from AppStore:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1910?locale=en_US

Macbook Retina 2015.
OSX 10.12.4
Reaper 5.50pre2
Old 03-27-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
I just upgraded from macOS Sierra 10.12.3 to 10.12.4 and all seems fine in Reaper.

I used the Combo update (always highly advisable above the "incremental" "delta" update from AppStore:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1910?locale=en_US

Macbook Retina 2015.
OSX 10.12.4
Reaper 5.50pre2
Cool, good to know!

What's the deal with the combo update? What other options are there?
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:33 PM   #3
vanhaze

No other options in Combo update.

It's just that Combo update replaces all system files.
So, if a system file would be corrupt, it will be replaced by a "healthy one".
This is not the case by an Appstore osx "incremental update.
Any corrupt system file will likely be not replaced by it.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:30 AM   #4
Judders

Quote:
No other options in Combo update.

It's just that Combo update replaces all system files.
So, if a system file would be corrupt, it will be replaced by a "healthy one".
This is not the case by an Appstore osx "incremental update.
Any corrupt system file will likely be not replaced by it.
Ah, okay.

Please keep us updated about how Sierra is going!
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:56 AM   #5
cyrano

You've got the balls... I'm still on Mavericks
Old 03-28-2017, 08:13 AM   #6
serr

I'm switching back and forth between 10.10 & 10.6 on the studio computer at present. (I haven't gotten to the bottom of what plugin is messing with me in 10.10 yet. One of them is locking things up in a couple mix projects already started.)

I'm half thinking of blasting a clean install of 10.12 on the laptop just to see what happens! Test it with the live sound setup and all.

I'm not sure what's been making me drag my feet these last couple years like this. The motivation to update is low and the last few OSX revisions feel sloppy compared to what I was used to in the past. Bang for the buck factor feels low. Change is a good thing. Regression is not!

And what the hell happened to the internet?!
Now we've got crashing scripts at war with adblock...
Do I really have to start screwing around with script blockers now and white listing webpages? Internet has turned into a Windows-like experience recently!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:38 AM   #7
vanhaze

I always do a clean install of a major osx update.
It's a drag to then install everything from scratch, but i think it's totally worth it.
And to be honest, it's not a drag for me personally, i'm just a guy that loves
re-installing everything nice and clean, it gives me major feelings of happiness

So i did also a clean install of Sierra, some time ago. (macbook retina 2015).
Re-installed all apps and plugins from scratch.
Takes forever to come to the point that you have everything installed.
Again, no problem for me.
The "smoothness", stability, and snappiness of such a fresh installed system is amazing.

I have literally zero issues (be it audio & non audio apps related) on this system and it just flies.
Reaper's running just beautifully, other DAW's i have also.

In the more than 15 years using this clean install method, i can't say that i ever got any serious issues on osx.
I was always quite stunned reading about many people having major issues on OSX, in all sorts.
Turned out the majority had done a upgrade, not a clean install.
Maybe i have just been very lucky for the past 15 years.
Then again, i always kiss my mac goodnight when i go to sleep, maybe that helped.
Cause i am still in love with Apple, after all these years.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #8
cyrano

I always do clean installs too. It's the hardware I've learned to distrust, recently.

Had 2 identical iMacs with an RME interface. One worked, the other one couldn't see the RME. Apple exchanged that one, after three weeks of going back and forth.

And what seems to ruin the experience for a lot of users, is the messaging system. Several system daemons seem to run amok for some.

Because I avoid the entire cloud system, I don't have that kind of trouble. But every time I try a newer, clean system, it starts, sooner or later, even without an icloud account. I hate ripping out some guts I don't need.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:21 PM   #9
vanhaze

You just seem one of those unlucky Apple users, i feel sorry for you.
I don't know about your problems cause i myself never encountered such problems.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:02 PM   #10
serr

My whining about lack of motivation to upgrade aside...
(It's certainly more of a scenario like: Why do I have to jump through hoops and update a bunch of 3rd party stuff along with this and at the end of the day there are absolutely no new features or abilities and further, one or two things I was using are obsoleted?)

I haven't had any problems. I've build new installs from the ground up in the past as well as simply blasting existing images on different machines. I've updated OS versions (as opposed to clean installing) plenty of times too.

I've had computer customers where I've sold them a new machine and used migration assistant and it always works. I think I did a 10.4 from an old PPC to a 10.12 on an Intel and even that was uneventful.

I am aware that the OSX installers are now installing specific subsets for specific hardware configurations and the days of blasting pre-installed images to just any machine are over. Which kind of feels like regression honestly. What do you do...

Cloud accounts in general should be used as a file sharing convenience but NEVER as a backup solution! Always always always verify shared files with a checksum! This has nothing to do with any brand or company not pulling their weight. It just comes with the territory using networks over phone lines and such and it's why we use checksums. Errors certainly don't happen every day either (the sky is not falling). But they DO seem to happen any/every time you neglect to verify with the checksum! :P (Murphy is always watching!)

Apple hardware has always seemed very top of the line to me. They make different models. Love the pro machines! The lower end machines (non-pro) don't hit the bang for the buck line for me either. I'd avoid the retina model Macbooks (even the ones with "pro" in the name now - Apple kind of stopped that naming convention) for example because the cost savings in them makes then exceedingly expensive to repair! Still elegant hardware, just a poor configuration IMHO. Watch out for those budget version iMacs that glue the front glass to the screen assembly too! (Dumbest cost reduction move I've ever seen from them there!)
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:24 PM   #11
cyrano

Quote:
You just seem one of those unlucky Apple users, i feel sorry for you.
I don't know about your problems cause i myself never encountered such problems.
These weren't my iMacs. I only get a call when there's something they can't handle themselves, like Apple refusing to even look at the problem. We had one solid week of hearing nothing but 'it's not our hardware that's misbehaving"...

And that's nothing new. Some 20 years ago, I had a beige G3 that wouldn't do mail. Everything worked, just no mail. Not Eudora, not any other mail client. We had around 10 of those, so it wasn't a big problem. I kept it on my desk as a second machine, serving mostly database stuff.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:23 AM   #12
northwoodmediaworks

Thanks for the info chaps. I am hesitant, have Sierra minus this latest update, everything seems good, Reaper and Cubase all playing nicely. Based on the read me info, I dont much see the point of upgrading at this time. I am not a Cricket fan!

This update:
  • Adds Night Shift for automatically shifting the colors in your display to the warmer end of the spectrum after dark.
  • Adds Siri support for cricket scores, schedules, and player rosters from the Indian Premier League and International Cricket Council.
  • Adds Dictation support for Shanghainese.
  • Improves right-to-left language support for the Touch Bar, toolbar, and visual tab picker in Safari.
  • Resolves several PDF rendering and annotation issues in Preview.
  • Improves the visibility of the subject line when using Conversation View in Mail.
  • Fixes an issue that may prevent content from appearing in Mail messages.
  • Adds support for more digital camera RAW formats.
northwoodmediaworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:30 AM   #13
cyrano

Of course, the update contains some security updates too. But Apple never goes into detail on these.