Old 03-17-2017, 06:56 PM   #1
Deelanee
Human being with feelings

Default Use Reaper as VST host on other computer

Hello everyone,

I have read some things about this on the forum, but nothing really recent. So, I want to know if I can use Reaper as a VST host on another computer that I network to my main one still using Reaper to record and use those VST's?

Would that require special software to share over Ethernet cables?

Thank you in advance,

Dee
Old 03-17-2017, 09:26 PM   #2
Outboarder

Hi

You can do it with ReaMote.
run reaper in Reamote Slave mode on slave computer.
windows > start > reaper > Reamote Slave

on master computer goto
Preferences > Reamote > Enable reamote processing/ Auto Search

It's a little complicating to explain here.

Read manual and wiki
24 - Using REAPER with Other Applications and Devices
24.9 ReaMote
http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.ph..._configuration

for quick briefing watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXvzlcB6u6g

Last edited by Outboarder; 03-18-2017 at 03:40 AM.
Outboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:23 AM   #3
mschnell

See this thread:
-> http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=187214
and express your support there to make it "pop up" again, if you feel like.
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 03-18-2017 at 12:36 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:44 AM   #4
Outboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
See this thread:
-Michael
Thanks mschnell, I'll.

Just for fun watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG4h_avVnAQ
LoL
Old 03-18-2017, 04:16 AM   #5
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outboarder View Post
Just for fun watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG4h_avVnAQ
LoL
Really a shortcut
Of course with using a "remote subproject" it's not so exceptionally fast to set up, but it avoids the shortcomings such as inability to use sample libraries (at least I did not get it running with ReaMote, same with other forum members I discussed with) and the need to install the plugin on both sites, which of course is a severe licensing problem.

-Michael
Old 03-18-2017, 04:58 AM   #6
Outboarder

Quote:
Of course with using a "remote subproject" it's not so exceptionally fast to set up, but it avoids the shortcomings such as inability to use sample libraries (at least I did not get it running with ReaMote, same with other forum members I discussed with) and the need to install the plugin on both sites, which of course is a severe licensing problem.

-Michael
Yea, I did it once, UAD and Ilok, PITA.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:47 AM   #7
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Hi Dee,

If you are looking for an option to host vst instruments on another computer while using your main computer to record using REAPER, you might want to check out a program I recently discovered called Cantabile. It is designed from the ground up specifically to turn a PC into a vst host you can treat like a hardware synth.

REAPER can of course be used for this purpose on another PC too but I've found Cantabile to be more efficient for this purpose.
There's a free version and two paid versions. I purchased the first paid version which also allows me to record my performances as both MIDI and audio and then import into REAPER later.

Have a look here... https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/about

Brad, the developer of Cantabile is extremely responsive with support too. Reminds me a lot of the Cockos team.

On another note (pun half intended), I have been listening to some of your music and I really like this one....

https://allihoopa.com/s/YkzMCwkv

I got into Bobby Mcferrin while I was studying jazz many years ago and I can certainly hear the inspiration there.
What did you use for the solo? Was that vocals layered with a synth patch (or perhaps woodwind) or did you process a vocal through a synth perhaps? I love the texture you achieved with that sound. Very organic and interesting.

Nice work.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:52 AM   #8
Deelanee

Default Thank you to Boa Sorte and Outboarder

Thank you guys for your response.

My hungrier VST's already have two licenses allowed, but considering I have to install them on both computers and the fact that I'd have to invest some money to bring the possible slave up to the VST's standards (not enough Ram and outdated Windows Vista) I think I will only use my main computer until I get the money to buy a better one and then consider another slave/master setup.

I am literally bootstrapping from scratch with discarded computers and was contemplating making the best of those resources... Although you never know, I might find another treasure in the recycle bin...
Old 03-18-2017, 06:08 AM   #9
Deelanee

Default Humbling compliments

On another note (pun half intended), I have been listening to some of your music and I really like this one....

https://allihoopa.com/s/YkzMCwkv

I got into Bobby Mcferrin while I was studying jazz many years ago and I can certainly hear the inspiration there.
What did you use for the solo? Was that vocals layered with a synth patch (or perhaps woodwind) or did you process a vocal through a synth perhaps? I love the texture you achieved with that sound. Very organic and interesting.

Nice work.[/QUOTE]

Hello ReaDave,

Thank you very much for your kind words. In regards to 'Cantabile', I think my answer to Boa Sorte and Outboarder will help you understand why I will not try at the moment, but I will take note (there's another pun, haha).

To tell you the truth, my vocals on the song you are referring to were simply processed through my lips... sophisticated synth if there is one! I do use some inside effects included in the 'Take" app but this one was applied to the whole vocal track, so it is not specific to the "mouth sax or trumpet".

I remember the first time I heard Bobby McFerrin, I didn't really like it ( I am a trumpet player and I thought it sounded fake ). But later on, I tried to copy and realized it wasn't that easy and that the guy had skills!

I was expecting a polarized reaction to the track on Alihoopa, but I think it is my most liked one!!!
Old 03-18-2017, 06:15 AM   #10
Deelanee

Default Would love to...

Quote:
See this thread:
-Michael
Hello,
I would love to express my support, but I must admit this is way above my head as I am still a beginner.

I get a sense of what you ask, but I'd have no idea how to support other than saying:
Yeah... I want this thingy too!
Old 03-18-2017, 07:11 AM   #11
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelanee View Post
Hello ReaDave,

Thank you very much for your kind words. In regards to 'Cantabile', I think my answer to Boa Sorte and Outboarder will help you understand why I will not try at the moment, but I will take note (there's another pun, haha).
I'm actually in a similar boat to you in that regard, although my two PC systems are quite similar processing power wise and are both running Windows 10.

I recently started work on one of my biggest personal projects to date (a double album) and was looking at building a new PC (I still am considering that option).
I have been doing all my recording, mixing and mastering work on a 2012 model Sony Vaio laptop with an i5 CPU but I really need more power and flexibility for the new album. That lead me to digging out my older DAW desktop PC which runs a Q9450 quad core CPU. I ran some tests and discovered that the older (by around four years) quad core was slightly more powerful than the i5 so I've been switching the primary DAW tasks back to that system.

Cutting a long story short, I've pretty much decided to run the i5 primarily as a VST host for my software synths and have set up Cantabile for that task, thus spreading the CPU load across the two systems. In doing so, I can set higher buffers and higher latency on the main DAW PC for more CPU power during recording and mixing whilst still maintaining very low latency on the VST synth host system for recording new parts in the middle of complex mixes.

Quote:
To tell you the truth, my vocals on the song you are referring to were simply processed through my lips... sophisticated synth if there is one! I do use some inside effects included in the 'Take" app but this one was applied to the whole vocal track, so it is not specific to the "mouth sax or trumpet".

I remember the first time I heard Bobby McFerrin, I didn't really like it ( I am a trumpet player and I thought it sounded fake ). But later on, I tried to copy and realized it wasn't that easy and that the guy had skills!

I was expecting a polarized reaction to the track on Alihoopa, but I think it is my most liked one!!!
That's very cool Dee. I love what you've achieved with your "mouth synth"! I'd love to hear you do more of that kind of experimentation. It seems you have a bit of a niche in that area that others also seem to like.
My first instrument (the first one I learned anyway) is also trumpet. These days though, I don't play it much and keyboards (piano and synth mostly) have become my primary instrument. I've been into synthesizers now for around three decades, collecting hardware and experimenting with software so I enjoyed your "synth galore" YouTube video too.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:10 PM   #12
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
REAPER can of course be used for this purpose on another PC too but I've found Cantabile to be more efficient for this purpose.
I do in fact use Reaper mainly for this issue (live Playing). I did consider Cantabile before switching to Reaper. While Cantabile is easier to use, Reaper is a lot more versatile.

But regarding the OP's question it does not help that much.
- you need to connect the two PCs via Network. Here you need additional software to pass Midi and Audio to and fro.
- you need to compensate the latency introduced by the remote installation and by the network
- you would be limited to render in realtime hence you can't ever use the full calculation power, but need to leave a great performance headroom to avoid crackling
- you need two Reaper licenses (not that much of a porblem) (see the Feature Request Thread I mentioned above)

-Michael
Old 03-18-2017, 02:14 PM   #13
mschnell

Quote:
Yeah... I want this thingy too!
Do so. It will bring the thread back to visibility. This might help to get the devs interested.

-Michael