Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 04-24-2017, 09:58 PM   #1
frethand101
Human being with feelings

Default Drum looping problem in Reaper..

I've been putting together drum tracks using Beta Monkey loops & every thing is turning out great with the exception of one tiny issue.. When I drag-n-drop my drum loops all of the Peak files that Reaper creates are sent to the Beta Monkey folder instead of the project folder that I created??.. Once I've finished recording, both the loops & peaks are finally sent to the project folder, but they're still in the Beta Monkey folder too!?.. The problem with this is that every time I start a new project more & more of these peak files are going to continue to clutter up my Beta Monkey folders..

Is there a setting that I can use to get the peak files that Reaper creates to go exclusively to the project folder & NOT my Beta Monkey folders??..

I've followed all the steps that Kenny pointed out in his tutorial on creating projects & project settings, etc.. But when Kenny drags-n-drops, everything goes directly to his project folder without him ever having to record anything..

What am I missing here??..

Last edited by frethand101; 04-25-2017 at 04:12 AM.
frethand101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
hopi

in the window for project settings... in the first top field for media

type in Audio Files... leave the others blank and see what that gives you

then also in pref's.. for paths... look at the bottom field where you can set the path for the peak files
Old 04-26-2017, 12:57 AM   #3
frethand101

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
in the window for project settings... in the first top field for media

type in Audio Files... leave the others blank and see what that gives you

then also in pref's.. for paths... look at the bottom field where you can set the path for the peak files
I "think" I may have solved the issue but I'm not too sure.. So far, the "Audio Files" folder is now showing up in the Project folder as soon as I create it, which is a step in the right direction, but I'm not too sure how I did it.. I may have also fixed the Peak file vs. Beta Monkey issue using the first field you mentioned found under "Paths".. I'm still not sure about my settings as a whole so I listed them below in hopes that a more experienced set of eye's might see something that I'm not..

I'm using Windows 8.1 & this is what my settings look like so far.... I'll try to keep this as organized as possible.... ;-)

*** "Starting A New Project":

- I selected "Create subdirectory for project" per Kenny Gioia..

- I selected "Move all media into project directory" & "Copy rather than move source media if not old project media path".. Kenny didn't mention this but I "think" it might have been what helped the Audio Files folder to show up in the project folder right away, not really sure though..

- I didn't understand the option to "Copy all media into project directory, using: Convert Media Format + Trim Media, Tail Size" so I just left it unchecked..

*** In "Project Settings":

- I typed in "Audio Files" in the first field & now this folder is somehow magically showing up in the Project folder.. I've been doing this from the beginning & I'm not too sure what I did this time around to get this folder to finally start turning up in the Project folder!?.. (See New Project settings noted above)

- The second field has been left blank because I don't understand what it's offering to do for me.. (Secondary recording path - blank for none, can be enabled per-track)

*** In "Pref's Under Projects:

- I checked the first two boxes, "Prompt to save on new project" & "Open properties on new project", just like Kenny advised in his tutorial.. Everything is working fine with these two options..

*** In "Pref's Under Paths":

- I checked the box for the first field & used its browse option to manually select the "Audio Files" folder as the "alternate path" where the Peak Caches, or Peak Files, will be stored.. This resulted in each Peak File getting its own 1kb folder in the Audio Files folder.. Now when I record, copies of the Beta Monkey loops show up in the Audio Files folder at the bottom of the list leaving the 1kb Peak folders at the top of the list.. Does this seem normal?.. Has this been the case for anyone else??..

- I don't fully understand the second option so I just left this field blank.. (Use alternate peak cache path for the following paths: (multiple paths separated by semicolons)

*** Also in Pref's under "Recording":

- I did find an option that "looked" promising but didn't seem to make a difference when I tried it.. It's the third option from the top listed as "Build peaks for recorded files", it has 3-settings with the first setting being selected by default..

1) On the fly (recommended)

2) After recording

3) Manually

I tried "After Recording" but the peak files were still going to the Beta Monkey folder at that time so I just went ahead & put this option back to its default "On The Fly" setting..

Last edited by frethand101; 04-26-2017 at 04:55 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:48 AM   #4
lowerbout

See videos above - Peak File Storage, Save Preferences & Auto Save
lowerbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
hopi

yeah sometimes the peak files can go to the where you dragged them in from...

but it is easy then to switch your view of that folder to details and then sort by type and just select and delete all the peak files...

I never use the 'move media to project folder'... I want the original media to stay where it is! I use copy media to project folder.... so that whatever media is in the project is actually right there in the saved project folder.

If it becomes unused in the project for some reason, I can later use the action to clean up the project folder ... often I don't care... but if HD space is a big issue then cleaning might be useful.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:47 AM   #6
frethand101

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowerbout View Post
See videos above - Peak File Storage, Save Preferences & Auto Save
Thx for the heads-up, up until now I've been watching Kenny's vidz "in order" so it would've taken me forever before I finally got to these two videos.. ;-)

Big help too!.. But now I'm questioning the routing method covered in the Peak File Storage video....

1) Is it wise move to send all of my peak files/caches for every project I create to just one general folder, or dump-site??..

"Or"

2) Is it a wiser move to always keep my peak paths with their respective projects??.. To put it another way, could there ever be a scenario where I might find myself having to sort through an individual projects peak files for any reason??.. Or will my periodic quick-saves ensure that I never need to mess with the peak files directly??..

I'm still interested in finding a way to get my peaks-n-wavs to go directly to the projects Audio folder "as just peaks-n-wavs" like they do for Kenny, but for the time being this arrangement is at least keeping the peaks from cluttering up my Beta Monkey folders..
Old 04-28-2017, 01:00 AM   #7
frethand101

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
I never use the 'move media to project folder'... I want the original media to stay where it is! I use copy media to project folder.... so that whatever media is in the project is actually right there in the saved project folder.
Yeah, both the "Move media" & the "Copy rather than move" options have to be checked together to keep the original media where it is.. But I switched over & tried the "Copy media" like you said which gave me the same result, so I'm just going stick with your setting instead of the other two that I was using..
Old 04-28-2017, 09:52 AM   #8
lowerbout

Quote:
Originally Posted by frethand101 View Post
Thx for the heads-up, up until now I've been watching Kenny's vidz "in order" so it would've taken me forever before I finally got to these two videos.. ;-)

Big help too!.. But now I'm questioning the routing method covered in the Peak File Storage video....

1) Is it wise move to send all of my peak files/caches for every project I create to just one general folder, or dump-site??..

"Or"

2) Is it a wiser move to always keep my peak paths with their respective projects??.. To put it another way, could there ever be a scenario where I might find myself having to sort through an individual projects peak files for any reason??.. Or will my periodic quick-saves ensure that I never need to mess with the peak files directly??..

I'm still interested in finding a way to get my peaks-n-wavs to go directly to the projects Audio folder "as just peaks-n-wavs" like they do for Kenny, but for the time being this arrangement is at least keeping the peaks from cluttering up my Beta Monkey folders..
It doesn't matter. Peaks can be rebuilt any time and I believe they do so automatically by default if they can't be found. I store my peaks in a TEMP folder in Windows, so they are deleted quite often but get rebuilt when I open a project. This way I don't deal with them at all other than waiting a couple of seconds when I open a project.
lowerbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:22 PM   #9
frethand101

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowerbout View Post
It doesn't matter. Peaks can be rebuilt any time and I believe they do so automatically by default if they can't be found. I store my peaks in a TEMP folder in Windows, so they are deleted quite often but get rebuilt when I open a project. This way I don't deal with them at all other than waiting a couple of seconds when I open a project.
Makes really good sense, especially the "I don't deal with them at all" part of it.. ;-))

Are you using the TEMP folder that already exist in your C-Drive, or do you have to create a folder & name it "TEMP" for windows to recognize it as a temporary file?..