Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Dstruct's Casa De Nitpicks

Old 12-25-2016, 07:45 AM   #1
MikComposer
Human being with feelings

Default Saving vst presets; aka: remember folders

Hi,

Every time I open a project, and want to save massive preset using its save function, it opens up explorer and asking to choose location, which is weird when I opened the preset using the internal browser. I don't know if it happens with other vsti's because im only using massive for synths, but i think it must be related to repear, because the folder that is being opened in explorer is the same forder I'd last open with reaper, trough something like Insert or when selecting folder to render.

Last edited by MikComposer; 12-25-2016 at 02:34 PM.
MikComposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:37 AM   #2
pcartwright

I've never seen a file explorer when saving a preset. Can you post a screenshot showing which button you click to save your VSTi preset?
pcartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
MikComposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcartwright View Post
I've never seen a file explorer when saving a preset. Can you post a screenshot showing which button you click to save your VSTi preset?
I click SAVE button. Look up Massive and see where the save button is.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:59 AM   #4
pcartwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
I click SAVE button. Look up Massive and see where the save button is.
I assume then that this isn't Reaper's built in preset save button (the little plus button next to the preset drop down)?

I'd use Reaper's own preset method as it produces reliable behavior across plugins. I don't own Massive and I have no intention of looking it up for you. If the save button you're talking about is part of Massive's GUI, then I suggest you take your issue to Massive's customer support and/or forum.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:23 PM   #5
MikComposer

Quote:
I assume then that this isn't Reaper's built in preset save button (the little plus button next to the preset drop down)?

I'd use Reaper's own preset method as it produces reliable behavior across plugins. I don't own Massive and I have no intention of looking it up for you. If the save button you're talking about is part of Massive's GUI, then I suggest you take your issue to Massive's customer support and/or forum.
As I explained, it opens up same explorer window as windows selected earlier in reaper. Also I know remember that whenever I browse anything in reaper, it always opens up last viewed location. So now i'm 100% it has something to do with how reaper works; it was 99% but you being sure it's massive, even thought you're not using it added that extra 1%

Merry Xmass
Old 12-25-2016, 12:39 PM   #6
karbomusic

It's because you are trying overwrite the built-in preset, Massive is giving you the dialog so you can save in your user presets folder - it apparently doesn't want you overwriting the original - not sure if that is a tweakable option in Massive. I don't think Reaper is aware or cares since you are asking Massive to save over a Massive/NI preset using Massive's GUI and code.

You should be able to confirm this by loading a *user* preset and noticing clicking save for it (because it's a user preset), won't open the save dialog and it just overwrites it directly.

:: On a geeky side note, you might notice there is a Save and a Save As, when the preset is built in and you click save, Massive, just reroutes your wishes to the Save As button behind the scenes. ::

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-25-2016 at 12:45 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 01:05 PM   #7
EvilDragon

Karbo is correct, this is not a Reaper issue, it's how Massive behaves as-is.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #8
MikComposer

Hi guys,

Thanks for reply. I understand that. I only save user presets ( i get back to them later, tweak them and save them again, but already when I have first version of it, I load it in to massive's browser). I posted here, because this thing happens across whole reaper - if the explorer pops up in massive, and I select a folder, then lets say I want to insert some wav using INSERT on kb, the last folder I have had opened comes up, instead of last folder I used when inserting. And the opposite is happening, if i inserted something and then doing first save in massive ( first save after opening reaper and loading preset ), that insert folder comes up. It would be good if different elements of reaper would remember what last folders were open trough those elements i think.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:42 PM   #9
pcartwright

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks for reply. I understand that. I only save user presets ( i get back to them later, tweak them and save them again, but already when I have first version of it, I load it in to massive's browser). I posted here, because this thing happens across whole reaper - if the explorer pops up in massive, and I select a folder, then lets say I want to insert some wav using INSERT on kb, the last folder I have had opened comes up, instead of last folder I used when inserting. And the opposite is happening, if i inserted something and then doing first save in massive ( first save after opening reaper and loading preset ), that insert folder comes up. It would be good if different elements of reaper would remember what last folders were open trough those elements i think.
Does this behavior also happen in Cubase or other DAWs? I would only categorize this as a Reaper issue if the behavior is different in other DAWs.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:56 PM   #10
MikComposer

Quote:
Does this behavior also happen in Cubase or other DAWs? I would only categorize this as a Reaper issue if the behavior is different in other DAWs.
Let me check.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #11
MikComposer

Quote:
No, in Cubase it doesn't happen: I start cubase, create new project, load instrument track with massive and then my preset, do tweaks, click save and all good.

Also got to note that in Cubase, massive loads in up to 2 secs while in reaper since around v5.20 it takes something like 10 seconds to load ( when doing it for the first time after loading project. This was already brought up by other users and me re several different vsti's; kontakt has same issue)

Also, this whole things with folders was irritating me since r4, but i never brought this up cause i guess reaper devs have more important things from the backlog to deal with, but since i do a lot more nowadays, it gets tiresome to say the least.

EDIT@ It also doesn't happen with stand alone massive.

Last edited by MikComposer; 12-25-2016 at 02:33 PM.
MikComposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:49 PM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
EDIT@ It also doesn't happen with stand alone massive.
It does if it is a built-in/native preset and not your own preset, that's the difference. I tested in standalone mode and the behavior is still as I described in my original reply. If it is a native preset, it prompts me to save it as a user preset, if it is already a user preset, it doesn't ask. I know you are saying you have your own pre-saved user preset and it is still prompting but I don't see that behavior inside or outside of Reaper while testing this with Massive.

If you have triple checked everything I just described then the only thing left really is a file permissions issue which may cause the exact same prompt.

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-25-2016 at 05:57 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 06:09 PM   #13
MikComposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
It does if it is a built-in/native preset and not your own preset, that's the difference. I tested in standalone mode and the behavior is still as I described in my original reply. If it is a native preset, it prompts me to save it as a user preset, if it is already a user preset, it doesn't ask. I know you are saying you have your own pre-saved user preset and it is still prompting but I don't see that behavior inside or outside of Reaper while testing this with Massive.

If you have triple checked everything I just described then the only thing left really is a file permissions issue which may cause the exact same prompt.
How that would work thought, I'm using same folder for presets across the board, not running reaper in admin mode, neither cubase nor stand alone.

Could you try this if you haven't already: start reaper and create massive track, save preset then import it to massive's database, save reaper project. Restart reaper, bring up massive, load that preset, do some tweaks and try saving it.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:16 PM   #14
karbomusic

I can't seem to repro that way either, no matter what I do, if it is a user preset, it doesn't prompt me.