Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-14-2015, 06:28 AM   #1
henge1
Human being with feelings

Default Klanghelm Vari Mu comp MJUC

I've been working with this compressor this morning and it's rally impressing me. Lots of character, punch and control.
http://klanghelm.com/MJUC.php
Old 07-14-2015, 06:49 AM   #2
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge1 View Post
I've been working with this compressor this morning and it's rally impressing me. Lots of character, punch and control.
http://klanghelm.com/MJUC.php
I just wanted to post a heads-up as well. Bought without even listening to the demos and I really really like it!
Old 07-14-2015, 07:31 AM   #3
sostenuto

Trusting you and other experienced compressor users to comment and hopefully 'place' in comparison to other similar, top alternatives.

Appreciate the extensive marketplace of fine plugins, but tough for home studio user to sort the many salient benefits AND best applications. May not have needs today, but like to have some headroom ....

Thom B
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:45 AM   #4
jpanderson80

Oh, I didn't know that this was released. I'm interested in comparing it to Slate's model. I'm very interested in the harmonic content, if anyone can already speak to that.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:50 AM   #5
henge1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFB37 View Post
Trusting you and other experienced compressor users to comment and hopefully 'place' in comparison to other similar, top alternatives.

Appreciate the extensive marketplace of fine plugins, but tough for home studio user to sort the many salient benefits AND best applications. May not have needs today, but like to have some headroom ....

Thom B
Today I used it on snare and it brought out great punch and tone shaping. On bass it
clamped down in an aggressive but musical way and sat the bass right in the track.
On cymbals it added a gorgeous tone and sustain. Going to try it on some guitars this afternoon.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:51 AM   #6
henge1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpanderson80 View Post
Oh, I didn't know that this was released. I'm interested in comparing it to Slate's model. I'm very interested in the harmonic content, if anyone can already speak to that.

As far as harmonic content ( saturation etc. ) the MJUC is waaaay more obvious. That can be good and bad. ;-)
Also Mjuc retains the low end very differently than FG-MU

Last edited by henge1; 07-14-2015 at 08:02 AM.
henge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:57 AM   #7
lachrimae

I bought it even though I already have the NI Vari Comp.

Klanghelm is the kind of dev that I like to support even if I need more compressors like a need a hole in the head.
lachrimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:45 AM   #8
kindafishy

The audio demos on the Klanghelm site showcase this compressor well, although they are all very extreme (I guess that is necessary).

Hmmm... I really don't need or want another compressor at this point. I really wanted this back in October of last year. I would have snapped it up in a second, but I have settled on other options in the meantime and I am now out of the business of spending time on plugins instead of spending time on music.

Maybe I should pick it up anyway. I am sure there will be a situation where my daily compressors aren't quite working where this will pick up the slack. I have all the other Klanghelm plugins and they see good use from me.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:47 AM   #9
ivansc

D/L`d the Jr version & WILL be buying the pro one on the 16th when I am back in the UK with sensible internet.

Cracking stuff even on the "BABY" one
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:17 AM   #10
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
D/L`d the Jr version & WILL be buying the pro one on the 16th when I am back in the UK with sensible internet.

Cracking stuff even on the "BABY" one
Thank-you for this ! Also tried BABY and feel comfortable to go wih new 'Intro' price on Pro.

Thom B
Old 07-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #11
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFB37 View Post

Thom B
Some odds and ends here ...

All of Tony's plugins work wonderfully with REAPER, as you might expect. This one (and its little brother, the freeware Jr version) are of the "variable-mu" tube design that's been around for ages. These are the long-awaited new output from Klanghelm.

Want to spell out for anyone skimming this thread -- there is the freeware version of this new release, the MJUCjr, which is probably worth a spin whether you have too many compressors already, as I do, or not.

Worth checking into, especially if you have never used one of these (sim-) tube-driven little monsters. Some eye-opening compression and effects available here.

To one of the hardest working independent devs out there (who also happens to charge very low, reasonable prices for his products, besides making some of the best plugins of their types): THANKS AGAIN, TONY!

Here is link for the free Jr version: http://klanghelm.com/MJUCjr.php
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:06 PM   #12
sostenuto

Fine endorsement; no more needed. New version seems a sound value and will enjoy using.

Many thanks,
Thom B
Old 07-14-2015, 02:34 PM   #13
beingmf

Used it all day now, and just wow! It's got that thick "movement" to it which is hard to describe. Even subtler values can change the spatial perception of an instrument, and it kills on drums! Fairchild galore, love it to death

[it really may replace my weapon-of-choice-until-now UBK-1, which I really like, but on some sources, the MJUC just shines]
Old 07-14-2015, 02:49 PM   #14
sostenuto

Another resounding endorsement! Great to hear as they both represent so much time and effort that benefits me a bunch.

Thom B
Old 07-15-2015, 05:39 AM   #15
Wolffman

I just tried the jr version out on a male vocal track, i was tweeking away and thinking wow this is nice.

Then i looked at the cpu usage and 13.5% for one instance
then i went into the setup section and played with the tool tips etc went back to the fx window and the cpu usage was at 74%

holy shit ! what's going on there ?

I hit play and the cpu went back yo about 9.5%, i really like the sound but its not usable on my old klunker of a pc, shame.

Unrelated rant.
Gonna have to upgrade this old beast soon

Gomma try to wait until theres more pc motherboards with thunderbolt ports so i can get a TB to firewire adaptor so i can still use my FF400.
rant over

Cheers.

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:03 AM   #16
kindafishy

I spent a couple hours with jr. last night on a "finished mix". I ended up replacing my bass compressor and my harp compressor with jr. on that mix.

In my opinion, jr. itself is worth many time the price of what the full version is being sold at, so even if I end up not favouring the full version to other compressors that I own, I am elated to 'donate' to Klanghelm by purchasing full version of MJUC as a thanks for jr., which as mentioned above, has already found a spot on a mix.

That being said, I am quite positive that I will end up getting a LOT of use out of the full version.

Congratulations on the release of such an excellent product, Klanghelm.

PS - If/when "you" purchase the full version, grab the freebie as well. It's different and no combination of settings in the full version will do what the freebie does.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:10 AM   #17
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
That being said, I am quite positive that I will end up getting a LOT of use out of the full version.
Most definitely you will! Time to retire 90% of my "dynamics" VST folder
Old 07-15-2015, 06:58 AM   #18
henge1

After a couple of days with it I can say it's the best software compressor I've used.
Love this thing and it's free brother...
Old 07-15-2015, 08:05 AM   #19
sostenuto

So helpful to see these quality comments on one of a myriad of available products. Just this small focused time now and can relax and enjoy using for future.

Seems like an extraordinary deal to end up with effectively four Comps for ~ $20. !!

Thom B

Last edited by sostenuto; 07-15-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:12 AM   #20
IXix

Pardon my ignorance but how does a variable mu compressor differ from a 'normal' compressor?

When people start saying things like "this is the best software compressor I've ever used" my wallet gets itchy...
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:18 AM   #21
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXix View Post
Pardon my ignorance but how does a variable mu compressor differ from a 'normal' compressor?

When people start saying things like "this is the best software compressor I've ever used" my wallet gets itchy...
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=variable+mu+compressor
Old 07-15-2015, 09:21 AM   #22
beingmf

Quote:
The tube itself is used for the attenuation, so you can imagine what that means: super smooth character, beautiful soft knee, very organic and "breathing". Listen to the decay of Ringo's cymbals, then you might get the picture

EDIT: that said - this is the first software compressor that features a convincing emulation of the Fairchild's "auto" modes, namely 5 and 6. It sounds so fantastic on about everything, try to compress a bass guitar track with "limit"/mode 6! Overheads mode 5, OMG!
Old 07-15-2015, 09:22 AM   #23
IXix

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
No, that's a hyperlink. I was hoping for more of an 'in a nutshell' explanation.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:24 AM   #24
IXix

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
The tube itself is used for the attenuation, so you can imagine what that means: super smooth character, beautiful soft knee, very organic and "breathing". Listen to the decay of Ringo's cymbals, then you might get the picture
That's what I wanted. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:31 AM   #25
tgraph

Quote:
No, that's a hyperlink. I was hoping for more of an 'in a nutshell' explanation.
"Many modern compressors contain vacuum tubes within their signal chains, but a true 'variable–mu' tube compressor uses a valve to actually achieve the compression, by re–biasing the tube to control the amount of gain reduction — in hi–fi language, 'mu' means gain. A good variable–mu compressor has the characteristic sound quality often associated with well–designed tube equipment — that is, slight but pleasing harmonic distortion and a warmth and smoothness that is hard to find with other compressor designs. Some famous and terrific tube compressors suitable for the mix bus include the Fairchild 660 and 670, Manley Variable Mu and Pendulum ES8."

~ SOS
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may0...ompression.htm
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:08 AM   #26
sostenuto

Even from 2008, that was a great article for me to read completely, especially the 'Expert Opinion' section at the end. Thanks a lot !!

Thom B
Old 07-15-2015, 12:26 PM   #27
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffman View Post
Gomma try to wait until theres more pc motherboards with thunderbolt ports so i can get a TB to firewire adaptor so i can still use my FF400.
rant over
ExpressCard ports can also run firewire adapters.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:44 PM   #28
ramses

Just tried the freebie quickly today, but it sounded great. Unusually great actually, I'm buying it. Noticed some stuttering though, might be quite cpu-intensive or not optimized properly yet. Sounded absolutely fantastic though.
ramses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:10 PM   #29
JHughes
Banned

24 euros is only 27 usd, that's a pretty good exchange rate. And this looks unique.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:22 PM   #30
Judders

I can't believe how good it is for the price. It's making me resent the cash I've dropped on more expensive software comps!

The different models and extensive controls make it very versatile. Not many software comps sound good on a stereo mix, but this really does lovely things to them.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:42 PM   #31
The Telenator
Banned

Tried it. Loving it. Jeez, I don't need yet another, but both of these are so nice.
A little CPU hungry, but what a smashing job it can do. I might get rid of a couple of lesser used plugins to make room for it, 'cause I've no doubt this will head toward the top of the list.

I wonder if they ever gave thought way back when they first created this particular design how much people would abuse their tracks with it one day.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:37 PM   #32
jpanderson80

Default simple review

I just tried the Jr version on some drums (kick, snare, toms, OH, and entire buss) and then on a full band mix. I compared this to the Slate VariMu from VBC.

For some reason, the Slate plugins make me think ROCK and ROLL. I'm not sure why. There is certainly some different tonal character to them.

The Klanghelm comp was rounder and had the more "vintage" thump. Slate was more "smack" while Klanghelm was thicker. I ~think~ that that could be changed with some EQ, but I didn't spend that much time. Now I wonder about this Klanghelm comp paired with those API550 eqs. I may have to try that. I found that I could certainly use the Jr. version for some situations. I think that I could even prefer it over the Slate version for certain things.

When testing on the drum clip, I had 1-3dB of reduction on each channel and then 1-2dB on the buss. The results were very nice. Turning the plugins on/off across the channels resulted in a feel of warmth, thickness, and roundness on the low end. The room came to life. It was good. It was not good very every situation, but very good for the earthy, organic drums in acoustic rock, that vintage vibe, or the something that allows the drums to have some room in the mix. I doubt that I'd use it on a dense rock mix that is squeezed by guitars. That's just my perception though.

I like it.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:20 AM   #33
airon

Bought it, tried both it and the freebie mostly on spoken material.

Thick and smooth with lots of flexibility. Can't wait to try this on effects. What a soundmaker.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:45 AM   #34
Judders

A note on CPU usage:

In the manual (I know, who reads manuals? Only freaks, right?) it says that turning the saturation off takes a load off CPU, also you can turn oversampling off.

Though I'd generally keep all the bells and whistles and just render to audio if my system was struggling, this could be good to know if you're mixing into it as a buss compressor.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:02 AM   #35
beingmf

Quote:
When testing on the drum clip, I had 1-3dB of reduction on each channel and then 1-2dB on the buss. The results were very nice. Turning the plugins on/off across the channels resulted in a feel of warmth, thickness, and roundness on the low end.
1-2 db? So wimpy!

An interesting observation: literally each parameter has SO MUCH influence on the tone, it's insane. That thick gooey tone is not a given. If you switch off Density, turn IStage on and, interesting enough, don't use "HQ" (oversampling, the sound is much more open yet less glamourous

Last edited by beingmf; 07-16-2015 at 04:52 AM.
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:49 AM   #36
IXix

The 'compression' control (on the JR, I've not succumbed to temptation yet) has me a little confused. What do the numbers mean? It's not a normal ratio because it goes below 1. Are they just arbitrary labels for 'a little bit' up to 'lots' or do the values have a real meaning? It doesn't seem to say anything in the manuals.

I don't suppose it matters really since we're supposed to use our ears but I'm a geek and I like to know these things.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:19 AM   #37
jpanderson80

Quote:
1-2 db? So wimpy!
I know! You know, sometimes the audio example are done with such extreme settings that -while they do sound good- they are not a good representation of normal use. So, I thought that I'd give it a run in a more conservative environment. Jr. still held its own.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:40 AM   #38
rcl

Thanks for the heads up. I really Like Tonys stuff.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:09 AM   #39
Magicbuss

Quote:
I just tried the Jr version on some drums (kick, snare, toms, OH, and entire buss) and then on a full band mix. I compared this to the Slate VariMu from VBC.

For some reason, the Slate plugins make me think ROCK and ROLL. I'm not sure why. There is certainly some different tonal character to them.

The Klanghelm comp was rounder and had the more "vintage" thump. Slate was more "smack" while Klanghelm was thicker. I ~think~ that that could be changed with some EQ, but I didn't spend that much time. Now I wonder about this Klanghelm comp paired with those API550 eqs. I may have to try that. I found that I could certainly use the Jr. version for some situations. I think that I could even prefer it over the Slate version for certain things.
The paid version has 3 different compressors based on the same vari-mu topology. MK1 is "fairly childish". The MK2 is based on the tube predecessor of an 1176. It will do in your face rock and roll. MK3 is similar to the Manley Vari mu.

The Jr. version is a combo of things from MK1 and MK2 and as such is its own animal.

Here's a couple YT video demos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okuQHiURDZE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPHuDYa-OLs

Last edited by Magicbuss; 07-16-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:32 AM   #40
solaris1982

Quote:
Used it all day now, and just wow! It's got that thick "movement" to it which is hard to describe. Even subtler values can change the spatial perception of an instrument, and it kills on drums! Fairchild galore, love it to death

[it really may replace my weapon-of-choice-until-now UBK-1, which I really like, but on some sources, the MJUC just shines]
Grrr....Here I was thinking "UBK-1 does what I need. I'll probably pass on this one." Maybe I'll check it out after all.
solaris1982 is offline   Reply With Quote