Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #41
ivansc
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
ivan- the uninstallers that come with software vary an awful lot in quality. Some remove all traces and files, some claim they do but then don't. The Todo left much rubbish behind, that's all I'm saying here. It's a crappy pile of software written by some chap from who knows where, and I don't trust his skills based on what I've seen in his product.

Now you are just being deliberately obtuse!

Of course I didnt mean the applications own uninstaller routine.

And I assume your own coding skills are vastly superior to the author(s) of the Easeus stuff.

Would you care to share with us your recommendation for a general purpose uninstaller?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:37 PM   #42
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Would you care to share with us your recommendation for a general purpose uninstaller?
Not possible. There is no way any installer can ever predict or know what changes get made by the user using the application post install. All they can do is make a list of what the installer itself created/changed/copied at the time of install and reference that list during the uninstall. Any step beyond that runs the risk of removing something that should not have been removed and that includes "cleaner" apps which pose even more risk because they truly don't know squat about the original app or user intentions. They can only look for path references and remove them if they don't match real locations and if that is a dynamic location, it'll screw you.

Typically only a portable install where all writes (even saving of settings and projects) occurs inside that folder can be 100%. Modern and universal apps can mostly accomplish this because it is very close to the same as a portable install due to their full sandboxed nature.

Last edited by karbomusic; 08-01-2015 at 12:43 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote