Old 08-24-2009, 04:48 AM   #1
jordNZ
Human being with feelings

Default How do I work my UX2?

Haha, I know this may sound stupid but...

I get my new Line 6 POD Studio UX2 (http://line6.com/podstudioux2/) in a couple of days and before I get it I want to know exactly how to use it, thus saving my frustration on the day.

I understand that it's a 'VST Plug-in' so how do I record it through REAPER? Do I need to set the input to the USB interface of the UX2 or do I just make a new track and hit 'fx' and choose the POD Farm software VST and arm and record through REAPER without setting an input?

I just want to know exactly how it all works. Sorry if it's a stupid question - I'm just really new to this all still, haha.

Cheers,
Jordan.
jordNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
nfpotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordNZ View Post
Haha, I know this may sound stupid but...

I get my new Line 6 POD Studio UX2 (http://line6.com/podstudioux2/) in a couple of days and before I get it I want to know exactly how to use it, thus saving my frustration on the day.

I understand that it's a 'VST Plug-in' so how do I record it through REAPER? Do I need to set the input to the USB interface of the UX2 or do I just make a new track and hit 'fx' and choose the POD Farm software VST and arm and record through REAPER without setting an input?

I just want to know exactly how it all works. Sorry if it's a stupid question - I'm just really new to this all still, haha.

Cheers,
Jordan.
"It" is not a plugin, "it" is hardware. It will come with USB drivers for ASIO, follow the instructions to install. Once you've got it set up, it will become your "soundcard". You will set your inputs and outputs up in Reaper to use the UX2's ASIO driver.

As far as the software, yes, I believe it comes as a plugin? As well as a front end, stand-alone interface (I have a UX2, but mine was before Pod Farm, I have the Gearbox program, which didn't come as a plugin at the time).

If you have, and are using, the plugin, yes, you'll apply it as an effect. If your using the front end, it will just produce sound that you will record straight to your Reaper tracks.

Last edited by nfpotter; 08-24-2009 at 11:08 AM.
nfpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
stratman

There's loads of stuff on the thread at the link below. At the time I was using a UX1 but the set up will be similar for a UX2.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...&highlight=ux2

Pete
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:56 AM   #4
jordNZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfpotter View Post
If you have, and are using, the plugin, yes, you'll apply it as an effect. If your using the front end, it will just produce sound that you will record straight to your Reaper tracks.
So I make a new track with inputs/outputs running the ASIO usb driver for the UX2 then hit 'FX' button on the track and set that as the POD Farm VST plugin?

So every track I record with the UX2 will have the 'FX' on the track enabled in order to use POD Farm?
Old 08-25-2009, 01:00 AM   #5
jinko17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordNZ View Post
So I make a new track with inputs/outputs running the ASIO usb driver for the UX2 then hit 'FX' button on the track and set that as the POD Farm VST plugin?

So every track I record with the UX2 will have the 'FX' on the track enabled in order to use POD Farm?
that is correct. make sure you have monitoring enabled so you can hear yourself. just to give you the heads up, the UX2 isn't compatible with AMD Turion processors with an SB700 chipset
jinko17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:08 AM   #6
jordNZ

Using Intel Centrino2 here so no worries

Monitoring is the little speaker icon on each track right? (excuse my ignorance haha).

The other thing aswell; to listen to my guitar tone without having to record/monitor through reaper, I just open up POD Farm as its own window (not through reaper VST)?

So I can have two instances of POD Farm running; one through reaper VST and the other as a stand-alone app?

Cheers,
Jordan.