Old 10-09-2010, 02:20 AM   #1
Lucian
Human being with feelings

Default Valentine...WIP

Still a quick trumpet solo to add and then to solicit a Navarro like guitar solo ala walkabout at 1:44 and then I can unchain the bass before I finish stealing soundgarden for the end yay! and then hopefully I can glue it all together with shoe gazer keyboards which was the whole point. Amen Brother! Yeah that's right..... I am looking at you .... have a beer while you're at it. And then I need to sober up and replace the scratch drums with some serious battery. It never ends...God bless Reaper, everyone! Kudos to Geoffery for his sage wisdom with mixing and my apologies for my butchery to suit my twisted taste.

Edit: Please try hard to ignore the singing, I know *nods*
Double edit: all vocals are done with a Hunukele except the vocals at 2:05. Wow, what a mistake changing was!

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/1013041/Valentine04.mp3

Last edited by Lucian; 10-09-2010 at 02:46 AM.
Lucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
kindafishy

Very cool track, man.

Ignore the singing? I actually really like the way you sing. I wish it wasn't so buried in the mix though. You should really bring the vocals up. I find that most singers are really self-conscious. Based on your comment, you are, but I can tell you that you are better than you think.

Like the ending of the song too. What did you use for the guitar? It's a nice sounding distortion. Are you going to add drums to this section?

Definitely looking forward to hearing this track develop.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
sammydix

Dug that opening riff, didn't expect the chorus, and final the final phase threw me. Yeah, I liked this. Nothing wrong with the vocals except a little buried as stated.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
Lucian

Thanks for the vocal pep talk There will be vocals and drums,etc for the last part. The distortion is an egnater rebel 20 set on shimmering clean with a metal muff set low and then double tracked into an sm58. I am not a fan of ABABC composition in terms of parts so my songs veer drastically off into odd tangents hehe. Thanks again
Old 10-23-2010, 12:51 AM   #5
Lucian

Wow. I used to love tracking on my old fostex 4 track and I could get 10 tracks down with judicious bouncing. This doesn't sound like alot to me yet it is 53 tracks and I can't sing; seriously but the end is an eq nightmare.
I am trying to go for soundgarden 4th of july but the guitar is to wide across the entire spectrum and my vocals, well they just suck. Reafir is great but to balance this out is going to take alot of click listen click listen, is that better? no, is this better? I did a gentle scoop on the guitar but I think the vocals are a prime example of not paying attention to Nicholas' Reamix techniques cause either the vocals are too hot or too verbed and right now either way they just suck. I brought the vocals up but everything is now sounding somehow too hot. I mix on Rokit 5"'s

there is some bad timing going on too, I only post stuff drop dead drunk btw cause it is how I record. The last part needs eq balancing between the guitar and crappy vocals and no amount of verb helps..I need to smooth out the trumpet too, it is too bitey....Help me Jebus! Definitely needs work thank G*ods I have all weekend ... I am definitely no Cornell maybe I should retry the end vocals ala deftones instead?

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/1019886/Valentine05.mp3
Old 10-23-2010, 06:29 AM   #6
sammydix

Sounds more glued now now, but still the Verse vocs sound a little buried by the guitar...like either vocs up and/or guitar down. They (guitars and vocs) sound fine everywhere else in the song.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
Lucian

Thanks guys, I unmangled the vocals at the end, next up is drums for the end.
Thanks for the encouragement as I suffer from no delusions of grandeur. But I am thankful for Reaper to allow me to indulge in my hobby.

I still have to figure out how to bring the first vocals up in the mix as the problem is I made them slightly blurry as I was trying to go for a Perry Farrel production sound, you know, blurry

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/1022585/Valentine06.mp3
Old 10-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
sammydix

If it's for effect, don't undo it, man. It might mess up how you originally imagined the song. It's not like it atrociously uneven!